• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

Apparently Russo thinks the Wild can get that Pittsburgh 1st or the early 2nd rounder from Toronto...for Darcy Kuemper.

Not enough :lols in the world.

I mean, I'm game if you Leafs fans are, but come on. Would y'all be willing to pay that?

zroid

Banned
Leafs will take Niemi but we don't want any part of that Kari Shitonen guy

I would consider a Lupul for Lehtonen trade straight up

maybe Dallas kicks in a pick

both have 2 years left and Lehtonen cap hit is about $700k more. both contracts are dead weight but Lupul being gone frees up a spot for a kid, and the Leafs could carry Lehtonen as a back-up for a couple years no problem.

Socreges

Banned

both have 2 years left and Lehtonen cap hit is about $700k more. both contracts are dead weight but Lupul being gone frees up a spot for a kid, and the Leafs could carry Lehtonen as a back-up for a couple years no problem.
About that..

Yawnier

Banned
Apparently Russo thinks the Wild can get that Pittsburgh 1st or the early 2nd rounder from Toronto...for Darcy Kuemper.

Not enough :lols in the world.

I mean, I'm game if you Leafs fans are, but come on. Would y'all be willing to pay that?
I don't know much about Kuemper so I can't say but I thought he was touted by you Wild fans a few years ago, then he cooled down or something?

If the leafs trade either one of those picks it will be in a package with a forward prospect or something along those lines for a goalie like Freddy Andersen imo.

I think I would do this deal

Don't know if Dallas would do it tho.

zroid

Banned
I think I would do this deal

Don't know if Dallas would do it tho.

I think it would be helpful for them. They're kind of stuck right now with two meh goalies making a ton of money. They could sign someone like Reimer for less money and get better performance than what they're getting now, but first they have to dump Lehtonen somehow.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
The only U19 players to get > 2 PPG in OHL regular season and playoffs of same year are as follows

Connor McDavid
Eric Lindros
Mitch Marner
Matthew Tkachuk (a product of Marner)

That's it.

DopeyFish

Is Tkachuk really that much of a leech on Marner?

I haven't been able to watch him at all.

Tkachuk has been good, no doubt... he can carry play himself and can score beauty goals, but he's getting put over the top due to Dvorak and Marner...

if you just show points vs primary points (take away 2nd assists)

Dvorak G 52 A 69 P 121 Primary: 86 Difference: 35
Marner G 39 A 76 P 115 Primary: 90 Difference: 25
Tkachuk G 30 A 77 P 107 Primary: 66 Difference: 41

You see where the focal point of the line is... Tkachuk is benefiting the most even without factoring the crazy passes he receives

eyeless

in the regular season tkachuk was a nice compliment and part of the line but it was definitely marner and dvo's line

in the yoffs he's been v. good, outshone dvo who didn't have a fantastic playoffs

DopeyFish

in the regular season tkachuk was a nice compliment and part of the line but it was definitely marner and dvo's line

in the yoffs he's been v. good, outshone dvo who didn't have a fantastic playoffs

this is also correct

playoff stats show he's been a monster

Pikma

Banned
Well, if the team's plan was to send the series to game 7 so more people would tune in and watch Ruff's bitches do what they do best, then I guess we can call that experiment a success.

Honestly, I feel embarrassed, and I don't think there's anything to celebrate, maybe that they made it to the playoffs? Even though that's already pathetic enough. The only reason the team made it to the 2nd round is because, well, we played against a team that had no business being in the playoffs.

And the worst part? That I think this shit was a fluke, the team is so unstable (and our division so damn demanding) that unless Nill makes some really significant changes, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't make the playoffs next year.

Game 7 of the second round is nothing to sneeze at! Welcome back, hope you enjoyed it while it lasted.
Well, I spent some at the hospital, that's why I missed it

imBask

Banned
Stephen Curry is statistically far beyond Jordan in advanced catagories like true shooting percentage and player efficiency. Stephen Curry could very easily be argued the best basketball player of all time at this point

it's good to see that NBA-GAF also has some insane advanced stats warrior

zroid

Banned
If I actually liked basketball enough to look at basketball fancystats, that's probably something I might post, yeah

imBask

Banned
Baseball advanced stats are the only stats I love, because they actually mean something most of the time

and also because the amount of stats in baseball is out of this world. Let's talk about the number of flyball Bautista has in the 3rd inning of a full moon night when he had tacos 3 days before

Cake Boss

Banned
Are those basketball stats can even be considered analytics. It seems simple ass stuff that everyone should know. Efficiency and true shooting percentage. It should be considered a regular stat now.

And for baseball, it easy for analytics to have a lot of impact because its usually 1v1 individual sport unlike hockey where its 6v6 with a lot of variables and intangibles (urgh) that go into the sport. But at the end of the day the best teams still win the cup and analytics prove that the past 10 years. To dismiss it is stupid as shit and you deserve to watch horse racing with Eugene Melnyk as he caresses your dick under a hat in public.

Solo

Fuck advanced stats and analytics. If I wanted fancy charts and graphs I'd become an investment banker.

FUCK IT, CAKEY

imBask

Banned
Are those basketball stats can even be considered analytics. It seems simple ass stuff that everyone should know. Efficiency and true shooting percentage. It should be considered a regular stat now.

And for baseball, it easy for analytics to have a lot of impact because its usually 1v1 individual sport unlike hockey where its 6v6 with a lot of variables and intangibles (urgh) that go into the sport. But at the end of the day the best teams still win the cup and analytics prove that the past 10 years. To dismiss it is stupid as shit and deserve to watch horse racing with Eugene Melnyk as he caresses your dick under a hat in public.

I don't DISMISS them at all. I just despise people who use them poorly, or cherry pick some stats to try and get a point across that is straight up wrong in every observable way

one of the latest example was Sekac, some people are still pretending he's elite because of obscure stats X and Y instead of focusing on important stats... any dumbass can play with numbers to make them say whatever they want, that's the danger of advanced stats + internet

and yeah Baseball is really different I agree

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
You can't measure heart.

Give me simple stats that actually mean something, like hits, and plus/minus, and of course Number of Classless Celebrations per Goals Scored.

Quick

Banned
I feel like Last Week Tonight's story on scientific studies can apply on some level with advanced stats usage.

No offence to anyone who references it a lot, but like Imbask said, people can cherry pick data to skew results in their favour.

Stars are going to have to buyout one of those guys. No one is going to trade for a shitty goalie unless it is a like for like trade, which defeats the purpose for Dallas.

zroid

Banned
I feel like Last Week Tonight's story on scientific studies can apply on some level with advanced stats usage.

No offence to anyone who references it a lot, but like Imbask said, people can cherry pick data to skew results in their favour.
There's hockey "stats" site that does this to such an extreme degree that it almost feels like satire. Even though I'm pretty sure it's not. http://www.depthockeyanalytics.com/

There's another site, http://hockeyanalysis.com, whose owner has been on a crusade for years to prove that on-ice Save% is something which a player can control to the point where it's a meaningful player evaluation stat, despite there being a ton of research and evidence to the contrary. He cherry picks small samples all the time to try and make this point, and is frequently called out on it by the community.

Silexx

Dorion keeping it 100:

Ian Mendes ‏@ian_mendes

Sens GM Pierre Dorion tells @TSN1200 "Hopefully we don't have to go to arbitration with Mike Hoffman."

Ian Mendes ‏@ian_mendes

Dorion: "I think our fans know that the relationship between Mike and the previous coaches wasn't the greatest."

Ian Mendes ‏@ian_mendes

Dorion calls Sens prospect Gabriel Gagne "physically immature" and someone he would label as a "project". Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

imBask

Banned
y'all are confusing PROSPECTS with actual talent. All maybes and ifs. I'll believe in this Toronto offensive powerhouse when I see it in the only league that matters

the number of 80+ points player in the minors that failed in the NHL is off the chart

Top Bottom