• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

I saw Civil War earlier today and I'm gonna give my impressions( no spoilers of course) does anyone else feel there was less action in this one than Captain America 2?

The Movie was basically Winter Solider Part 2 and Avengers 2.5-You (cannot) Be Civil.It was a great movie. I'll probably give my full impressions in the Spoiler thread.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I saw Civil War earlier today and I'm gonna give my impressions( no spoilers of course) does anyone else feel there was less action in this one than Captain America 2?

The Movie was basically Winter Solider Part 2 and Avengers 2.5-You (cannot) Be Civil.It was a great movie. I'll probably give my full impressions in the Spoiler thread.
Just curious, are you in school or do you work?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Hope to see it next weekend.

Anyone have some non fiction books to recommend?

What about?

Playing with Fire by Theo Fleury is a legit great hockey book. As well as an insight into drugs, booze, and the NHL as a whole. Cannot recommend this enough.

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall is a great book about a tribe of people in Mexico, running, and health in general.

Life of the Party by Bert Kreischer is a short and hilarious book written by the comedian who was the basis of and inspiration for the Van Wilder movie.

American Gun by Chris Kyle is a good book if you like the History of the US or firearms or both. And its mostly politically neutral, if you are worried about that.

I can post more later if you want too.

Really? I barely saw any kind of Grizzlies merch anywhere the last time I was there.

While I'm on the subject, how does it look for Vancouver to get a NBA team by say, 2020?

I never see any Grizzilies stuff when I'm in Vancouver, nor have I seen any on the Island.

Edit: My buddy, HS teacher, confirms the Grizz and Raps are represented at his school (Mulgrave).

Getting another team probably just depends on getting a stable ownership group together (and the timing, does the NBA even want to expand right now?). Unlike Seattle, Vancouver at least has an arena ready to be used.

I Work. Probably going to quit my job soon and look for a new one

Don't do it, man. Job market still isn't good.

This.

It's a fucking wreck out there right now unless your skills are in high demand. Just spend your time job searching and move from one job into another.

Listen to Kuro.

Also, having only visited MLB Gaf when the Rangers-Blue Jays were playing in game 5, I'm coming to the conclusion that some members of RangersGAF have some weird standards for greatest baseball moments, need to cut down on the sodium and perhaps take a couple of classes in etiquette.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
*Polite golf clap*
Has the team decided what they're going to do next season? Rebuild? Tank? Retool? AV staying or leaving?

If we were going to tank we would have done it a month ago and might be in the ECF by now. :D

AV stays. There was never any doubt about that, though it would be fair to say the honeymoon is now over. It was less certain that the assistant coaches would all return as AV wouldn't commit to them all being back after exit interviews (whether it was Ulfie taking the fall for season long defensive deficiencies or Scott Arniel taking the blame for less than stellar special teams), but it is looking now like the full coaching staff will be returning.

Pavel Buchnevich was an immediate priority for the team, one that even the players were excited about in their exit interviews. With his contract now in place, he'll be moving to New York to acclimate to the US and learn English starting June 15. Since Buchnevich will be fresh off the boat, the expectation is that the Rangers will also be bringing in another Russian to help ease the transition for him (Pavel Valentenko, of all people, is a name I've seen floated out there). This also makes re-signing Chris Kreider a priority, by the way, because he speaks Russian. So just in case any of you were getting any ideas of taking him off our hands, that's not going to be happening.

Otherwise, "retool" is probably the most accurate description, with the more specific mandates of "get younger" and "retool the bottom six." In this sense, losing Eric Staal, Dominic Moore, and Dan Boyle will effectively be addition by subtraction.

The Rangers are currently sitting on about $57m in salary, including Buchnevich, with the following players still to sign:

UFAs: Victor Stalberg, Keith Yandle
RFAs: Chris Kreider, Kevin Hayes, JT Miller, Dylan McIlrath

Of those players (putting Yandle aside for now), only JT Miller is really in line for a big raise (he made 874k this season, and I can't see him getting less than 2 next), while Kreider, Stalberg, Hayes, and McIlrath should all get minor to medium-sized boosts, with Hayes being probably the biggest question mark. He'll probably want something like what Kreider was making this year ($2.475m) or what JT will be making next year, but he sure didn't earn it on the ice this season.

That leaves Yandle. There's actually maybe allllllmost enough space to sign Yandle and all the other free agents we care about, depending on who the Russian player we bring in is and what the final salary cap ends up being, but probably not quite. Which means if we're going to try to sign Yandle or, for that matter, sign a quality defenseman to take his place, somebody is going to have to be moved. And we do have to sign somebody for that position, since if we lose Yandle we will have lost both of our theoretical power play quarterbacks in Yandle and Boyle. The obvious choices to move are, of course, Dan Girardi and Tanner Glass, but there are also obvious reasons why they might be difficult to jettison. Marc Staal would be your next option to move on D, but he'd be almost as difficult to move as Girardi. The asset you can probably get the best return for on the defensive side of things is Kevin Klein, but losing Klein would leave behind a shambles on the right side of the defense, even if we do think we can move Brady Skjei over there on McDonagh's right full time. The only other NHL ready natural right Ds who would be left if we ditched Klein would be Girardi and McIlrath, so unless we're getting like for like on a super favorable contract, moving Klein is probably a no go.

That doesn't leave too many other options for trades if the idea is to keep all of our young guys. In fact, the only one that jumps out to me as an option is Rick Nash, and he has a NTC on his contract that is probably still valid even though he's waived it once before.

I wouldn't sweat the Texas fans, they got served a historic L in the 2015 post-season and have been waiting for something to be happy about ever since.

Socreges

Banned
Alright. I've been looking for something better for about at least a year now. But if the market is bad i'll stay put.
The market is decent in Halifax where I think you are. But it's never advisable to quit a job before finding another.

You probably just need to get more creative in your search.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Alright. I've been looking for something better for about at least a year now. But if the market is bad i'll stay put.
You can always sign up for a recruiter to look for you, look at your company to see if there's somewhere you want to move there unless your company is complete shit (like mine), or just do the bare minimum and step up the job search at work.

I really hate the climate right now for job searching...I did have another offer and should've moved when I had the chance at the beginning of the year.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I Work. Probably going to quit my job soon and look for a new one

Don't quit. Look for something else while still working there. I was laid off lad February and have been working part time since October. I did have a family medical crisis that slowed down my search significantly but I haven't been able to anything full time yet.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Don't quit. Look for something else while still working there. I was laid off lad February and have been working part time since October. I did have a family medical crisis that slowed down my search significantly but I haven't been able to anything full time yet.

Basically the same for me. It is brutal our there.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'll hire you Creeps, we're actually looking for someone. Its only a casual contract tho.

This way I can nut shot you in person whenever I see your tard trade proposals in here.

It's not NHL-GAF without Creeper and his weird trade proposals.

The market is decent in Halifax where I think you are. But it's never advisable to quit a job before finding another.

You probably just need to get more creative in your search.
Hmmm Good Idea Soc.

Emelin named player of the game, so I guess anything is possible.

He did it with rispek

It's not NHL-GAF without Creeper and his weird trade proposals.

MY TRADE PROPOSALS WILL WORK KAVE, THEY WILL WORRRRRK. I just need an NHL GM to Hire me.

Socreges

Banned
Hmmm Good Idea Soc.
Heh. I didn't really say anything of substance

- join employment programs that provide leads, put on workshops to improve resumes etc. Nova Scotia must have stuff available to you. Look into this and follow up
- informational interviews. These are hard to do but it's the best way to network if you don't know a lot of people. People always prefer to hire people they've already met

Pikma

Banned
Creeper is 2 years old and works at a labor camp for kittens, that's part of the reason why he's looking for job alternatives

#FreeCreeper

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
When did dating sites become such a big joke?

Nowadays nobody ever wants to talk to each other.

I remember a good 10 years ago having dates lined up for every day of the week if I so chose. Now it's just pure shit. I've been able to get 2 in a month. Nobody reads profiles, nobody responds to messages.... even when you do send elaborate messages to people to show off that you actually READ their profile, are creative and not someone who just says hello.

I guess it's mainly the Toronto dating scene in a nutshell but holy shit it's infuriating.

I've been working for two years and saving up for school. I hope I can start this year for school.

Is that werid that I choose work before I go to college?

No way. Now when you go to school you'll have a much better idea of what you want to do and what does and doesn't fly in the job market.

Pikma

Banned
I've been working for two years and saving up for school. I hope I can start this year for school.

I wish I had done that, I wasted two and a half years and like 40k on the wrong career before figuring out what I really wanted

Not really no. Few people know what they want to study after high school.

I went to college right after high school and went to work part-time as well. Ended up dropping out and becoming disillusioned.

Years I went back and completed my degree online while working fulltime.

Couldn't be happier now.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
When did dating sites become such a big joke?

Nowadays nobody ever wants to talk to each other.

I remember a good 10 years ago having dates lined up for every day of the week if I so chose. Now it's just pure shit. I've been able to get 2 in a month. Nobody reads profiles, nobody responds to messages.... even when you do send elaborate messages to people to show off that you actually READ their profile, are creative and not someone who just says hello.

I guess it's mainly the Toronto dating scene in a nutshell but holy shit it's infuriating.
I never had luck with any girls from Toronto. I only dated one from Mississauga, and the rest are girls from other countries. Though it's odd to hear you say you have less luck with dating sites here since everyone swears by it.

Top Bottom