• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

Yawnier

Banned
Jim Rutherford,Jim Nill and Brian Maclellan named Finalists for GM of the year.

Grim Rutherford actually made some decent moves over the last year, trading for the entire HBK line, trading Scuderi for Daley and signing Matt Cullen.

That Jim Nill trade for Kris Russell tho? Ouch. I can't think of much else that Nill did this year if a Dallas fan wants to fill me in

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Grim Rutherford actually made some decent moves over the last year, trading for the entire HBK line, trading Scuderi for Daley and signing Matt Cullen.

That Jim Nill trade for Kris Russell tho? Ouch. I can't think of much else that Nill did this year if a Dallas fan wants to fill me in

Nill had the Sharp trade this season didn't he?

zroid

Banned
Despite the Russell trade, Nill should win it. The GM of the year award is stupid since moves made in a given season aren't always meant to bear fruit for several years. He deserves to be rewarded for the Spezza and Seguin trades, since this was the season where they paid off with a division title.

Damn so that girl I have been with left today for 2 months. This sucks..

I didn't think it would hit me so quickly but it has. Going to be a tough two months. Luckily I will be super busy and everything to help take my mind off of her but still.

What makes it worse is that this girl is pretty special to me. She is pretty much everything I look for in a girl. I can see us being together for a very long time... It's weird because I have never felt this way about a girl before. This one is different.

Sorry for gettin sappy and shit but she is just incredible and I am gonna miss her greatly. (already do)

Also the biggest way I know she is a keeper is that she had never seen hockey before I showed it to her and now she loves it... Also picked it up super fast.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Damn so that girl I have been with left today for 2 months. This sucks..

I didn't think it would hit me so quickly but it has. Going to be a tough two months. Luckily I will be super busy and everything to help take my mind off of her but still.

What makes it worse is that this girl is pretty special to me. She is pretty much everything I look for in a girl. I can see us being together for a very long time... It's weird because I have never felt this way about a girl before. This one is different.

Sorry for gettin sappy and shit but she is just incredible and I am gonna miss her greatly. (already do)

Also the biggest way I know she is a keeper is that she had never seen hockey before I showed it to her and now she loves it... Also picked it up super fast.
Do yourself a favour and don't put her on a pedestal.

The biggest question is, does she like The Hotelier?

zroid

Banned
fmXMTQE.png

Even tho cakey insists he's bad, I still say he's pretty good. He's kind of like Marincin, but better at generating shots, worse at suppressing shots.

Cake Boss

Banned
I kinda expected they might give him a third chance with LeChiffre behind the bench. But at $2.7M fuck no.

Hopefully tomorrow Chiasson is also getting the 'not getting qualified' slip.

GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE BOYY

Rutherford? lmao

Why is that funny?

The entire HBK line that is lighting up the playoffs right now came from moves he made from off season to Mid season.

He turned

Perron Sutter Spalling

into

Haglin Bonino Kessel

He turned Scuderi into Daley

He hired Mike Sullivan

He got a young guy in Justin Schultz for nothing

He grabbed Matt Cullen for cheap, and that dude has been a rock at both ends of the ice.

JR transformed this team and done a damn good job at it.

zroid

Banned
Man I was reading about this Trudeau kerfuffle and kinda just ignoring it. finally saw the clip on CBC immediately after HNIC ended.

and LOL

itsfuckingnothing.gif

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Man I was reading about this Trudeau kerfuffle and kinda just ignoring it. finally saw the clip on CBC immediately after HNIC ended.

and LOL

itsfuckingnothing.gif

Pretty much. He got upset and shouldn't have grabbed the guy but it's not like he walked up to him and punched him. He obviously didn't mean to elbow the lady.

Finished Uncharted 4.

GOD DAMN. What a way to finish it all up.

http://i.imgur.com/0mKXcg1.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

[SPOILER]Sidestepping how Naughty Dog completely sidesteps sensible morality in that game, I've only finished Uncharted 2 and 4 and thats how it's gonna stay. Both were fun romps but I'm glad they're on to other things finally.[/SPOILER]

Cake Boss

Banned
If Wiercioch is sent packing, the likely plan is to either trade for a veteran defenceman or find one through the free agency who can play in the No. 5 or No. 6 role just to give the club some more depth.

BEST NEWS EVER.

This basically means they are looking to replace Borofucks role and push that turd down to #7dman.

Foggy

Still amazed Toronto gave away Kessel like that. They could've held onto him longer and gotten something much better than Kapanen plus 1st and 3rd. Now the darkest timeline is here and the Pens are going to get another cup. Truly profane.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Still amazed Toronto gave away Kessel like that. They could've held onto him longer and gotten something much better than Kapanen plus 1st and 3rd. Now the darkest timeline is here and the Pens are going to get another cup. Truly profane.
From what I've read, the vast majority is happy for him. At this point as well, the value between a 23 and 27-30 is moot anyways, and it's offset by a good scouting staff.

I'm not big on Kapanen, and the picks were nice; I just hated retaining salary.

eyeless

go back to when the trade happened, you'll see even then we knew it was an underpayment, 'technically'

but he literally served no purpose here, we needed to get rid of salary, and most importantly, he had to go right away so we could bottom out as best we could, him being here this season would actually have been harmful because we needed to lose, if kessel was here we wouldn't be picking first overall, that's really the bottom line, if he'd won us even one more game we'd be picking fourth

because of the position our team was in, what value did we as a rebuiilding team lose, nothing really, except a ruined draft position, this is a situation where it's hard to feel like it was a 'fleecing' technically because he had to go, it's more that the pens got a great deal but in the end it was beneficial to both

kessel v. matthews
or laine
, hard 2 have any regrets about that. and i'll be happy as fuck if he wins a cup and steve simmons and any other garabagepeople of his ilk can eat shit

Foggy

The salary is whatever. Toronto was always going to tank so cap concerns couldn't have been a factor since they were never going to sign anyone of value this year.

As for the virtues of tanking, that's hindsight talking. Looking back, of course it was worth it, but it certainly isn't worth it if you're looking at Tkachuk right now. All tanking got you was a coin flip chance at drafting top 3. So looking back at the trade, Kessel was traded for a good prospect, a certain late first round pick, and a slightly better chance at coin flip odds at the draft.

All I'm saying is that I'm shocked they fell over themselves to get rid of him. It felt there was no patience exercised and for a rebuilding team where getting the best return for your assets is pretty important. The front office has been very savvy this past year, except for this trade.

and i'll be happy as fuck if he wins a cup and steve simmons and any other garabagepeople of his ilk can eat shit

Amen

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I'll smack anyone who says kapanen isn't a good prospect

do you realize he's 19 years old? he's playing in the AHL getting .6+ ppg as a 19 year old

he's younger than nylander ffs

he has all the tools to be a very good NHL player

DopeyFish

no but seriously, there's a huge amount of AHL PPG guys that never made it to the NHL, I still think AHL stats is a terrible metric. Does that mean Kapanen is bad? nah, but I always prefer to wait and see what he does in the NHL

but... he's 19.

oh and his NHL play has been very good though no point production... he just wasn't confident with the puck even though he was controlling the play very very well (ie good corsi stats)

BEST NEWS EVER.

This basically means they are looking to replace Borofucks role and push that turd down to #7dman.

Looking more and more likely that Dorion(Randy Lee probably too) disagreed with a lot of moves All Bran did over the years.

I guess he finally he had enough, went to the owner and said let me do it.

zroid

Banned
The salary is whatever. Toronto was always going to tank so cap concerns couldn't have been a factor since they were never going to sign anyone of value this year.

As for the virtues of tanking, that's hindsight talking. Looking back, of course it was worth it, but it certainly isn't worth it if you're looking at Tkachuk right now. All tanking got you was a coin flip chance at drafting top 3. So looking back at the trade, Kessel was traded for a good prospect, a certain late first round pick, and a slightly better chance at coin flip odds at the draft.

All I'm saying is that I'm shocked they fell over themselves to get rid of him. It felt there was no patience exercised and for a rebuilding team where getting the best return for your assets is pretty important. The front office has been very savvy this past year, except for this trade.

I completely agree. Still salty about the trade tbh.

That being said, I think everyone in the league has genuine concerns about his longevity. Is it fair? I doubt it. Seems to be built on preconceived notions about his fitness or work ethic.

I think if they had held onto him for another year and he played well, his value might have increased enough to not have to retain salary, but the return otherwise probably wouldn't be much different. He'll just be another year older, and people will think that's one less productive year before the contract looks like an albatross.

imBask

Banned
but... he's 19.

oh and his NHL play has been very good though no point production... he just wasn't confident with the puck even though he was controlling the play very very well (ie good corsi stats)

it's not just about age, the size and speed difference is huge and some of them can never adapt

25 points in 44 games in the AHL + no points in 9 NHL games (-3 too but that understandable) isn't anything to get excited about. I would go with "carefully hopeful" instead

DopeyFish

it's not just about age, the size and speed difference is huge and some of them can never adapt

25 points in 44 games in the AHL + no points in 9 NHL games (-3 too but that understandable) isn't anything to get excited about. I would go with "carefully hopeful" instead

if you saw kapanen play in the NHL, you would know he was basically designed for the NHL. He was so badly snakebitten but his game was really fucking good. AT WORST... he's viktor stalberg. that's like his absolute basement.

Also, he has 33rd best ppg for a 19 year old in the AHL (that's all time)

I don't want to keep beating the 19 year old drum but I have to.

imBask

Banned
if you saw kapanen play in the NHL, you would know he was basically designed for the NHL. He was so badly snakebitten but his game was really fucking good.

Also, he has 33rd best ppg for a 19 year old in the AHL (that's all time)

I don't want to keep beating the 19 year old drum but I have to.

we'll see then, but right now you sound like every leafs fan for the past 20 years talking about every leafs rookie. I can't trust any of you guys anymore, you burned us all with Justin Pogge

Top Bottom