• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

Tabris

Tell me the last team that rebuilt successfully by going full rebuild mode and getting a bunch of early first round picks year over year until ready?

Because it's been a decade since the Pittsburgh, Chicago, Washington, and Kings rebuilds.

Yawnier

Banned
VRE4p5I.gif

yyzjohn

Banned
Tell me the last team that rebuilt successfully by going full rebuild mode and getting a bunch of early first round picks year over year until ready?

Because it's been a decade since the Pittsburgh, Chicago, Washington, and Kings rebuilds.

Didn't you just name 6 Cup winners?

Tabris

Didn't you just name 6 Cup winners?

Yes, and what I'm saying is those rebuilds happened a decade ago. All the teams that have tried since to rebuild have failed trying to emulate them.

The truth is they just got lucky with being at the right spot at the right time, and those players not getting sucked into a loser culture like you see in so many rebuild teams trying to emulate those team's rebuild success.

Socreges

Banned
Chicago? LA Kings? Pittsburgh? New York Islanders? Florida? Dallas? St Louis?
I don't agree with sir bat, but you're going to need to define full rebuild if you list those teams. I'd say only Hawks, Panthers and Pens went full rebuild. Panthers took forever and only this year were they finally successful. Took a number of top 3 picks for them, which are also now more randomly distributed.

I'm not sure that the Isles ever went full rebuild. They were just terrible without consistently trying to be.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Yes, and what I'm saying is those rebuilds happened a decade ago. All the teams that have tried since to rebuild have failed trying to emulate them.

The truth is they just got lucky with being at the right spot at the right time, and those players not getting sucked into a loser culture like you see in so many rebuild teams trying to emulate those team's rebuild success.

The only teams that have attempted to emulate the blackhawks build is florida and toronto

LA Kings was just smart movement and deep drafting

Pittsburgh was all luck

NYI was sheer brute force followed by smart acquisitions

So far the only builds that have truly failed were Toronto 2009-2014, Columbus and Edmonton.

Lumbus keeps getting caught with a weird mixture of players but seems like they're slowly fixing it.

Rebuilding is always a correct thing to do... just look how dire the Flames looked when Iginla was still there.

Pikma

Banned

So you're saying that the teams that won the SC in the last five years were successful because of luck?

Wow

That's one of the most stupid posts I've seen from you, and that's already amazing by itself.

Tabris

So you're saying that the teams that won the SC in the last five years were successful because of luck?

You don't think it's luck when you get Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Duncan Keith, etc all within a couple of years and everything works out with their development?

You don't think it's luck that you get the first pick in the lockout year which leads to Sidney Crosby after having gotten Evgeni Malkin the previous year?

Full rebuild is definitely about luck with your draft picks. Sure, scouts and your farm team development matter, but in general, those are pretty even across the board. Rebuild is a luck of the draw situation often.

Pathetic by the Marlies in a must win. Though to be honest, they've looked shitty all playoffs long. I didn't really watch much during the regular season so I can't compare, but I had high hopes in the playoffs and they've just looked so dull and uninspired that it's kinda depressing. Luckily had the Knights to watch to get the taste out of my mouth all this time but man...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Chances the Leafs late 1st is spent on a goalie? Tehehehehehehehhee
I get the feeling we'll just sign a free agent, get a young up and coming goalie that was off a lot of people's radars or just available, or use one of our late round picks.

The expansion draft is sure to knock a few goalies loose and there are a lot of average to above average goalies available and that's all you really need if the rest of the team is solid and a good system is in place.

Yawnier

Banned
It's not all bad, the BJs gotta cough up a 2nd round pick to the Nucks within the next 2 drafts

Still pretty bad

Edit: Red pulling gifs out of an archeological dig site

Columbus is just gonna wait until 2018 to give away that pick like most other teams will be, which isn't terrible I guess but that whole rule for compensation for fired personnel was dumb in the first place. Glad they got rid of it.

Not really sure about that one in particular.

Perhaps with the Washington 2nd, leafs own 3rd, or devils 3rd.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

I expect the leafs to trade bozak, use that pick (2nd) and a later pick to upgrade the 1st

Both 2nds used on goalies, me thinks. Defense to be patched mainly through UFA and trades

More stuff:

@GeorgeRichards: .@FlaPanthers were shopping Erik Gudbranson last offseason; Gudbranson even tweeted out what sounded like his goodbye to fans.

Word is Dale Tallon was part of this and approved the deal. https://t.co/PhTJC0DZPh

Surprised to learn this too.

@travisyost: Stay at home defender Erik Gudbranson's shots against impact comparable to Jared Cowen and Nate Guenin. He's not who you think he is.

@travisyost: Here's a free tip: Vancouver loses that trade. Just like the last eight and probably the next seven. Just absolutely lost.

Now that is a 🌶🌶🌶 take

Quick

Banned
Quick thought on Life Is Strange: I wish it had a Photo Mode, similar in style to Grand Theft Auto. Seems like a no-brainer considering how much influence photography has in the game (so far).

iLLmAtlc

I kinda agree that tanking is unnecessary. People expect to get players like Crosby, Malkin or Ovechkin in the draft ("Pittsburgh model") but these guys are HoFers. Crosby is already top 5 in points per game and Ovechkin is probably the greatest goal scorer ever. Toews and Kane already have more cups in 6 years than Lemiuex, Sakic and Forsberg did in their whole careers. You can't expect to get guys like that.

Even franchise players like Tavares or Stamkos are by far in the minority. If you go back and look at the top 5 picks from 2005 to now, I bet you'll find just as many landmines/pretty good players as 1st line/top pairing players.

You can be just as good if you draft and develop properly without going through all the misery.

Obvs Benning is delivering both misery and no drafting, so whatever.

Top Bottom