• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

calder

Ten takeaways from the NHL scouting combine - Custance:

BUFFALO, NY -- First, an admission. Sometimes we oversell the offseason. We pump up moves that never actually happen. Trades! Offer sheets! Free agent signings! It’s hard not to get caught up in all the roster movement that’s about to start kicking into high gear.

And this year? We’re especially worked up. The salary cap is flat and could even go down depending on whether or not the NHLPA kicks in the escalator clause. Then there’s the threat of an expansion draft and the expected roster movement that will come this summer because of it. The phrase “talent redistribution” has been used to describe how that might play out.

New Jersey Devils GM Ray Shero laughed when asked about how wild this summer just might be.

“You guys are calling for rain, hail and tornados,” he said.

Yes, yes we are.

“It happens all the time,” he said. “Doesn’t it happen all the time?”

Yes, yes it does.

But this year is different. At least that’s the theory. General managers gathered in Buffalo last week for the NHL draft combine, and conversations definitely picked up. But Shero said it wasn’t necessarily more than previous years, partially because it’s still a little early.

“It’s just normal,” he said of trade talk right now. “We’re still a few weeks away from the draft. The cap number will come out soon. Everybody is reading the tea leaves. We’re planning for that. With the assumption expansion is coming, we still have no idea exactly what the rules are going to be.”

So it’s early, but that didn’t start the conversations from picking up over the last week. Here are 10 takeaways from conversations at the draft combine with executives and the top prospects:

1. Matthews put through the wringer

Let’s start with the player expected to go first, first. Auston Matthews met with seven teams during the interview process, with our favorites on the list being the New York Islanders and Washington Capitals (more on that in a minute), considering they probably won’t be within shouting distance of drafting him.

And like a few of the top prospects, Matthews agreed that the most intense interview was the one with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

“They’re pretty intimidating going in there. ... That was probably the most intense one,” Matthews said when we chatted after his testing.

Part of it is having Hall of Famer Lou Lamoriello sitting quietly, just watching.

“Lou didn’t ask me anything. He sat there and listened, and then Lou was the last guy to shake your hand,” Matthews said. “It was definitely intense.”

2. Biggest fear for the future star?

Matthews said the questions from Toronto were fairly straightforward; questions about family, siblings, interests outside of hockey. They also asked about his biggest fear, which stood out to Matthews.

The answer?

“Sharks and snakes,” Matthews said. “That’s the only one I can think of.”

3. Leafs tough on Laine, too

Patrik Laine, who is pushing Matthews in the conversation for the top pick, also named the Maple Leafs as the toughest interview. Laine interviewed with eight teams, but Toronto definitely made an impression.

“Toronto, that was the toughest ever. Just watching me,” Laine said. “Just watching me all the time. ... They were just staring at me all the time. That was hard.”

4. Why the Caps interviewed Matthews

So why would a team like the Washington Capitals, picking near the bottom of the draft, spend time interviewing the players at the top? Capitals assistant GM Ross Mahoney pointed out that of the top six picks in the 2010 draft, five have been traded during their subsequent NHL careers. It’s worth noting that No. 1 overall Taylor Hall could be traded this offseason as well.

Teams may not get a crack at the players at the top of the draft this season, but that doesn’t mean it won’t eventually happen.

“You never know, whether it’s this upcoming draft whether you’re switching positions as far as moving up or back in the draft. Also, in the future, trades might come up,” Mahoney said when we chatted. “It’s a bank of knowledge that might become useful in the future as well.”

So what did they think of Matthews?

“Oh, very, very impressive,” Mahoney said. “Just a really nice young man. Very mature young man. Very impressive at that age.”

5. What gives with that 2010 class?

It’s interesting that so many players at the top of the 2010 draft have moved. The Erik Gudbranson trade was the most recent, but the others traded include Tyler Seguin, Ryan Johansen, Nino Niederreiter and Brett Connolly. Jeff Skinner was taken at No. 7, and his name has circulated in trade rumors the last couple years.

Columbus GM Jarmo Kekalainen was one of the execs to move one of those players in his deal that sent Johansen to the Predators, and he commented that it’s probably more of an aberration than anything else.

“They’re all good players. I wouldn’t read anything into it,” Kekalainen said. “Franchise players hardly ever get traded. You could look at it that way -- maybe they didn’t reach exactly the status you hope for at the top of the draft. They’re all very good players. It’s not like they’re busts.”

6. Blue-line plan for the B's

The Bruins are on the prowl to upgrade their defense, and GM Don Sweeney is open to all avenues to make it happen, either through trade or free agency.

Boston has both cap room and assets in terms of draft picks and prospects to add a much-needed top-four defenseman, but Sweeney realizes it’s still a challenge.

“That’s easier said than done. It clearly is,” Sweeney said. “Teams are not going to be eager to give them away. We have assets, players at different levels and places developing. If it lines up, I’ll do it through trade. If not, we’ll do it through free agency.”

7. Two most likely non-Montreal destinations for Subban

Colleague Pierre LeBrun set the odds that Montreal defenseman P.K. Subban gets traded at five percent in his Rumblings column last week. After conversations in Buffalo, I might even go a little higher than that.

Subban has a no-trade clause that kicks in on July 1, and if a Subban trade is ever going to happen, it’s likely before then.

If Montreal moves Subban, the front-runners have to be the Edmonton Oilers or the Colorado Avalanche. Edmonton certainly has the pieces to pull it off, with young stars like Taylor Hall or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins a possibility, as well as the No. 4 overall pick, which is very much in play in general.

Colorado could build a deal around Matt Duchene. If the Avalanche do acquire Subban, and Tyson Barrie isn’t part of that deal, it’s quite possible he’s moved in a secondary deal. It should all be fascinating to watch.

8. Goligoski an intriguing option

There are some interesting potential options in free agency on defense, including Keith Yandle, but a defenseman that multiple teams are really interested in is Dallas defenseman Alex Goligoski. Teams really like his versatility, his ability to play in every situation and the likelihood he comes in cheaper than Yandle.

It’s going to be a competitive market if it gets that far.

According to a source, talks remain active between the Stars and Goligoski, so it’s a possibility he doesn’t even get to free agency.

9. Bickell on the move?

No shock here, but the Blackhawks are trying hard to move Bryan Bickell's contract, a move that would help them get a new contract done for restricted free agent Andrew Shaw and maybe even get in on a free agent defenseman like Florida’s Brian Campbell.

The question becomes: Just how badly does GM Stan Bowman want to get it done? It might take including Teuvo Teravainen in a possible deal to get rid of that contract, and that’s not an easy deal to make.

10. Latest on possible Datsyuk "suitors"

The expectation is that the Red Wings shouldn’t have too much trouble moving Pavel Datsyuk's contract if he does indeed confirm that he’s leaving for the KHL. The Hurricanes, Devils and Coyotes would be the most likely destinations for Datsyuk’s contract.

There was some speculation that a deal between Detroit and free agent Alexander Radulov was all but done and just waiting for Datsyuk to be moved, but that’s not necessarily true. As of right now, the contract ask for Radulov is steeper than the Red Wings are willing to pay. There’s definitely interest, but not at all costs.

Teams with cap flexibility are in an especially good position heading into this summer, giving them the ability to add assets for nothing, more than just taking on bad contracts.

Devils GM Ray Shero said that’s an avenue the Devils are exploring to help stock the system in New Jersey.

“Yeah. We’ve looked at that in the past. There’s a difference between taking on a contract to take on a bad contract to buy that contract out, which takes cash,” Shero said. “There are all kinds of different scenarios. [Cap space] is an asset in the league. I’ve been on the other end. You’re trying to do the gymnastics [to get under the cap]. You’re looking for teams, but just because teams have cap space doesn’t mean teams want to take on the money, budget-wise.”

SMH at Lamoriello being creepy to my boy Patrik. Keep that weird old man staring limited to Matthews, dammit! You can drain the life force from his career in order to stay alive another year if you must, you sick, twisted Alp.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Underrated joke :lol

Also Quick, how's your life is strange play going. Fucking Episode 4 man.

Any of NHL GAF on instagram. Saw the OT about sharing instagram follows and was wondering if any of you guys post?

I'm not a 14 year old girl so no

ask Tabris' girlfriend?

The end of the latest John Oliver show is un-fucking-real

I saw the news, not the actual clip yet. but damn. nice.

Line_HTX

Underrated joke :lol

I'm not a 14 year old girl so no

image.php

I guess since SE isn't having a presser this year, they decided to announce FFXII remaster now since I bet Sony told them they wouldn't have time to fit in FFXII as wel, since I am expecting FFXV and an FFVIIr trailer in that conference.

The end of the latest John Oliver show is un-fucking-real

What happened? I love Oliver.

Smiley90

touche

solid avatar quote right there

https://consumerist.com/2016/06/06/john-oliver-buys-15m-in-medical-debt-then-forgives-it/

He bought the rights to collect 15 Mio in medical debt for 60'000$, but instead of trying to collect it he simply forgave it. The debt was expired anyway (so not legally enforcable to be collected) but that's never stopped debt collecters. So basically he saved a whole bunch of people from a whole lot of harassment/potential to be exploited.

calder

Watch Dogs was pretty good, a really solid game in a very good open world. The character and plot were ass, sadly, but the basic game was very fun. They did a horrible job in trying to make a main character morally ambivalent enough to justify either being a decent-ish vigilante or a raging psychotic and the lame story poorly told on top of that was devastating. But the Chicagoland they created for the game was second only to a GTA in terms of detail and fun, so that mostly made up for it to me.

Sleeping Dogs was ok but weirdly overrated. Visually great, especially for it's time, and some surprisingly good melee action in an open world crime game. I think the way I hated the DLC so much made me like the main game less in hindsight.

Quick

Banned

I finished it a couple of days ago. Emotions man. Emotions everywhere. Also, pretty easy Platinum trophy lol.

Episode 5 might be the weakest in terms of gameplay, but I actually really liked how it all played out. What I said after playing either episode 2 or 3 about everything leading up to the same conclusion is pretty accurate though. I was hoping for some variety other than Save Arcadia Bay or Save Chloe.

I liked the consequences of Max's actions being the direct cause of the tornado, and just the entire nightmare scenes were well-done. Fuck the stealth bit a little though.

I chose to save Arcadia Bay instead of Chloe. It just seemed like the right choice after Chloe basically accepted her fate.

Man Horizon is delayed to February of next year...

Can't say I am surprised though

That new Volition game looks... interesting I guess. Can't say the trailer did anything for me.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I just want SOMETHING on Forza Horizon 3.

Thanks man, will do ^^

what the hell is even the point of Instagram. What does it do that you can't do on Twitter?

Twitter is more like a real time message board, instragram you just post pictures of random crap.

Smiley90

I finished it a couple of days ago. Emotions man. Emotions everywhere. Also, pretty easy Platinum trophy lol.

Episode 5 might be the weakest in terms of gameplay, but I actually really liked how it all played out. What I said after playing either episode 2 or 3 about everything leading up to the same conclusion is pretty accurate though. I was hoping for some variety other than Save Arcadia Bay or Save Chloe.

I liked the consequences of Max's actions being the direct cause of the tornado, and just the entire nightmare scenes were well-done. Fuck the stealth bit a little though.

I chose to save Arcadia Bay instead of Chloe. It just seemed like the right choice after Chloe basically accepted her fate.

YOU MADE THE WRONG CHOICE

BAE > BAY

and yeah that's why I didn't want to respond to your post there haha. but I couldn't not save Chloe. wasn't fucking happening.

Quick

Banned
Good job making the right choice.

Honestly, it just seemed right. I watched the other ending and it didn't seem all that satisfying in comparison to my choice.

Man Horizon is delayed to February of next year...

Can't say I am surprised though

lol everything is delayed.
Okay, not really.

Horizon looked great, but the appeal for it is beginning to wane. I have it pre-ordered from the E3 sale on Amazon.ca last year though. At worst, I have until February to cancel.

Can't say I've really been surprised and/or upset at all these big delays in the last year or so. More time to polish these games is a good thing, IMO.

YOU MADE THE WRONG CHOICE

BAE > BAY

and yeah that's why I didn't want to respond to your post there haha. but I couldn't not save Chloe. wasn't fucking happening.

It just didn't feel right.
Especially when Pompidou is in danger!

zroid

Banned
And like a few of the top prospects, Matthews agreed that the most intense interview was the one with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

“They’re pretty intimidating going in there. ... That was probably the most intense one,” Matthews said when we chatted after his testing.

Part of it is having Hall of Famer Lou Lamoriello sitting quietly, just watching.

“Lou didn’t ask me anything. He sat there and listened, and then Lou was the last guy to shake your hand,” Matthews said. “It was definitely intense.”

2. Biggest fear for the future star?

Matthews said the questions from Toronto were fairly straightforward; questions about family, siblings, interests outside of hockey. They also asked about his biggest fear, which stood out to Matthews.

The answer?

“Sharks and snakes,” Matthews said. “That’s the only one I can think of.”

3. Leafs tough on Laine, too

Patrik Laine, who is pushing Matthews in the conversation for the top pick, also named the Maple Leafs as the toughest interview. Laine interviewed with eight teams, but Toronto definitely made an impression.

“Toronto, that was the toughest ever. Just watching me,” Laine said. “Just watching me all the time. ... They were just staring at me all the time. That was hard.”

LOL what

Horizon looked great, but the appeal for it is beginning to wane. I have it pre-ordered from the E3 sale on Amazon.ca last year though. At worst, I have until February to cancel.

Can't say I've really been surprised and/or upset at all these big delays in the last year or so. More time to polish these games is a good thing, IMO.
]

Well the good thing is that at the conference last year they didn't give a release window. I think we see more of it next week for sure. I just hope that TLG is at the conference with a release date.

Also with Rockstar's heavy presence at E3 this year I wonder whose conference Red Dead 2 will be at and I hope we get an Agent re-reveal.

I am really looking forward to Bethesda's for a hopeful Elder Scrolls announcement even though I know it is way too soon but apparently Prey is being revived.

Smiley90

Honestly, it just seemed right. I watched the other ending and it didn't seem all that satisfying in comparison to my choice.

lol everything is delayed.
Okay, not really.

It just didn't feel right.
Especially when Pompidou is in danger!

that's because the other ending was shittily made. The devs said themselves that they only had enough resources to focus on one ending. :( That was definitely disappointing. I watched the other ending after my choice too and teared up. fuck that.

BAE > BAY

Colleague Pierre LeBrun set the odds that Montreal defenseman P.K. Subban gets traded at five percent in his Rumblings column last week. After conversations in Buffalo, I might even go a little higher than that.

Subban has a no-trade clause that kicks in on July 1, and if a Subban trade is ever going to happen, it’s likely before then.

If Montreal moves Subban, the front-runners have to be the Edmonton Oilers or the Colorado Avalanche. Edmonton certainly has the pieces to pull it off, with young stars like Taylor Hall or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins a possibility, as well as the No. 4 overall pick, which is very much in play in general.

Colorado could build a deal around Matt Duchene. If the Avalanche do acquire Subban, and Tyson Barrie isn’t part of that deal, it’s quite possible he’s moved in a secondary deal. It should all be fascinating to watch.

STOP I don't want Barrie. If you want Him Colorado, Your going to have to do lot better than that. Mackinnon and Erik Johnson Please.

zroid

Banned
Does Groupon still have good deals? I was really into this group buy stuff a few years ago but it felt like the bubble burst and all the deals turned to shit. Wonder if it got better again.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It would he very fitting of the Habs to hire Muller and then trade Subban a month later. Those idiots better not move him.

Foggy

Going on a very opulently cheap trip to Bahamas next week because of Groupon. Groupon is also great when trying to find new places to eat. Groupon is swell.

Quick

Banned
Does Groupon still have good deals? I was really into this group buy stuff a few years ago but it felt like the bubble burst and all the deals turned to shit. Wonder if it got better again.

I had this same issue from a while back, not that I used Groupon a lot. The deals just weren't all that appealing for me.

zroid

Banned
Poor TJ Brennan. After failing to crack even the 2015-16 Maple Leafs I guess he finally gave up on his NHL dream. Reportedly signed in the KHL.

edit: to be clear he hasn't signed yet, but received a $1.5 million offer. apparently he will sign in North America if he gets a comparable offer. can't imagine he will.

Socreges

Banned
Groupon ripped me off twice. Never again. It's a horrible, shady ass company.

zroid

Banned
Groupon ripped me off twice. Never again. It's a horrible, shady ass company.

That sucks. I never actually used Groupon very often, moreso some of the other competitors. TeamBuy always treated me pretty well customer service wise. One time I had bought a voucher from them and the company actually went out of business before I had a chance to use it. They refunded me even though it was like a couple of years since I made the purchase.

calder

Yeah, pretty much nailed it.

I liked his interview during the World's when they asked him about Winnipeg and he said, basically, that all he really knew about it was that it was cold which was a bummer for a second then he was like whatever I'm from Finland.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Yeah, pretty much nailed it.

I liked his interview during the World's when they asked him about Winnipeg and he said, basically, that all he really knew about it was that it was cold which was a bummer for a second then he was like whatever I'm from Finland.

he's gonna fly over to winnipeg after being drafted and is going to be so confused.

Top Bottom