• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

Solo

If he doesn't at least make an offer, he shouldn't be a GM in the NHL

... oh shit we're fucked

"We targeted Backes because he has true character and intangibles and he has respek for da game"

- Marc Bergevin, July 1st, 2016 after signing Backes to 7 x $8.5M

imBask

Banned
"We targeted Backes because he has true character and intangibles and he has respek for da game"

- Marc Bergevin, July 1st, 2016 after signing Backes to 7 x $8.5M

lets say 8M per, and that way you can spend the remaining 3M you would've given to Stamkos on Dale fucking Weise! GREAT PLAN

Quick

Banned
Seeing Habs fans turn on Bergevin makes me worried in the future for the day Shanahan, Dubas, and/or Hunter get the boot. Unless they go full-on Detroit with the front office and they all stick around or something.

Curufinwe

I guess Las Vegas is actually happening. RDS is saying Las Vegas is coming in the 17-18 season

So Canes to Quebec? I Guess? Wouldn't that make more sense to move the Hurricanes to Quebec City instead of Las Vegas?

Hopefully they redo the stupid Eastern divisions if that happens.

Northeast
Boston
Columbus
Detroit
Buffalo
Montreal
Ottawa
Quebec
Toronto

Actual Atlantic
Florida
New Jersey
NYI
NYR
Philly
Pittsburgh
TB
Washington

Syrinx

Am I being jerked around? I feel like I'm being jerked around.

That said, it's hard not to feel a little better about the Canes now. Bettman would have moved them to Vegas in a heartbeat and not thought twice about it if he had the chance cause that's just what Bettman does, but the NHL seems pretty bullish on going back to Quebec for whatever reason.

Curufinwe

French translation. I bolded stuff that was new to me.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/lnh/las-vegas-dans-la-division-pacifique-des-2017-1.3399848

- Vegas will start play in 2017/18
- Play in the Pacific division
- Leading candidate for team name is "Black Knights", though not yet confirmed.
- Expansion draft will be next off-season, BEFORE the Entry Draft (June 20th)
- Apparently have already completed negotiations with the NHLPA regarding expansion rules. That's done. Both sides have agreed.
- Expansion draft protection list follows previously rumored format: 7F/3D/1G or "Any 8".
- Teams will be forced to protect players with No-Move Clauses. Not forced to protect players with No-Trade Clauses.
- The NHL has dropped the "Teams must leave 25% of their payroll unprotected" criteria that had been previously discussed.
- Players with 2 or less Pro Seasons will be exempt from the draft.
- Players who have retired due to injury but still have active contracts (Pronger, Horton, etc...) will be exempt from the draft.
- All teams are required to leave at least 2 F and 1D who are under contract for the 2017/18 season unprotected, who played at least 40 games last year (or 70 games over the last 2 years).
- Las Vegas will draft 30 players, at least 20 of whom MUST be under contract for the 2017-18 season (to reduce the likelihood of shenanigans)
- Las Vegas will NOT be allowed to buy out any players in it's first season (to reduce the likelihood of shenanigans).

calder

That said, it's hard not to feel a little better about the Canes now. Bettman would have moved them to Vegas in a heartbeat and not thought twice about it if he had the chance cause that's just what Bettman does, but the NHL seems pretty bullish on going back to Quebec for whatever reason.

I think the Canes are safe, but I've always thought that.

And to be fair to Bettman, he NEVER would have moving a team to Vegas as his preferred option. He hates moving teams for the very good (and self-serving) reason that a team being sold and moved makes the NHL little money but expansion is a giant fucking pit of free money.

Quick

Banned

There are a few factors that come into play.

They have a couple of options in play now: relocate the Canes and continue with expansion, one or the other, or just "no for now."

I'm almost inclined to think that the NHL will take the relocation option since it's the more straightforward option available, provided they've worked out the details with Karmanos. No need for an expansion draft and the team will be available in Vegas for next season (probably). Expansion would still be very much on the table.

Curufinwe

There are a few factors that come into play.

They have a couple of options in play now: relocate the Canes and continue with expansion, one or the other, or just "no for now."

I'm almost inclined to think that the NHL will take the relocation option since it's the more straightforward option available, provided they've worked out the details with Karmanos. No need for an expansion draft and the team will be available in Vegas for next season (probably). Expansion would still be very much on the table.

I think they'll take the option where they get $500m of revenue they don't have to share with the players.

Entropia

No One Remembers
It's weird how fast Atlanta just up and moved to Winnipeg. It seemed like it happened over night.

Everyone kind of knew that Atlanta wasn't working out as well as they'd hoped, but it all seemed very sudden.

I'm worried this will happen with the Canes. Just "Yeah instead of expanding to Vegas, we're going to move the Canes there."

Apparently this guy is a legtimate, trustworthy source: https://twitter.com/AdamZHerman/status/739936747132456960

Chris R

Canes are safe this year at least. If they don't get their finances in order, they get moved to QC. Their building lease is through 2024 so you have to factor in breaking that contract if the team does move.

Quick

Banned
It's weird how fast Atlanta just up and moved to Winnipeg. It seemed like it happened over night.

Everyone kind of knew that Atlanta wasn't working out as well as they'd hoped, but it all seemed very sudden.

I'm worried this will happen with the Canes. Just "Yeah instead of expanding to Vegas, we're going to move the Canes there."

Apparently this guy is a legtimate, trustworthy source: https://twitter.com/AdamZHerman/status/739936747132456960

I remember the Atlanta move. There were rumblings of it, similar to how rumblings of the Canes moving right now, but all of a sudden, a press conference in Winnipeg was announced and the Jets are back.

It's probably too late to relocate in time for the 2016-17 season, so if this does get confirmed between now and next season, fans have a chance to watch a final season at least. I think the Canes would be given a bit more respect than the Thrashers were given if they do move.

Hmmm. I didn't realise Jason Karmanos is the VP of hockey ops for Pittsburgh, and is of course involved in a lawsuit against a rival-team's owner. That seems like something that could deeply concern the NHL.

Karmanos has been bleeding money here for years now. I think at one point JR indicated that if the team didn't make the playoffs, they didn't break even. And they've only reached the playoffs once (2009) since winning the Cup ten years ago.

Would be sad to see them go. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh but my dad was a football/baseball guy. By the time I was getting into hockey was mid-90s when I moved to NC, and shortly after the Canes came to town. Been great going to games and having a pro team here, but we've been going to fewer and fewer games over the years and many friends who used to have season tix have stopped going because the team has been el sucko and Karmanos constantly gives excuses and "wait til next year."

They finally have their shit together. I think Francis is a solid GM and Peters is a solid coach. They're building from the blue line out and that defense is pretty good (or was this past year). They finally got rid of an under-performing slug of a captain and have a shitload of picks to play with coming into this draft.

All of that being said, I can see Karmanos needing to get out from under years of losing money and moving to QC, because that's an area where you're going to fill the arena no matter how you're playing... and right they're on an upswing.

Sucks but hey that's business sometimes.

I'd be spending a lot more time watching the Pens and probably go back to buying Center Ice to watch them.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Syrinx

Karmanos has been bleeding money here for years now. I think at one point JR indicated that if the team didn't make the playoffs, they didn't break even. And they've only reached the playoffs once (2009) since winning the Cup ten years ago.

Would be sad to see them go. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh but my dad was a football/baseball guy. By the time I was getting into hockey was mid-90s when I moved to NC, and shortly after the Canes came to town. Been great going to games and having a pro team here, but we've been going to fewer and fewer games over the years and many friends who used to have season tix have stopped going because the team has been el sucko and Karmanos constantly gives excuses and "wait til next year."

They finally have their shit together. I think Francis is a solid GM and Peters is a solid coach. They're building from the blue line out and that defense is pretty good (or was this past year). They finally got rid of an under-performing slug of a captain and have a shitload of picks to play with coming into this draft.

All of that being said, I can see Karmanos needing to get out from under years of losing money and moving to QC, because that's an area where you're going to fill the arena no matter how you're playing... and right they're on an upswing.

I'd be spending a lot more time watching the Pens and probably go back to buying Center Ice to watch them.
This kinda gets at why this depresses me so much. I've only been following the team for a few years now, but this past year was the first time I was really getting excited about them. Following the development of the young blue line, keeping tabs on Aho getting better and better in Finland, looking at prospective draft picks, etc.

So then to have to face having the team pulled out from under you and moved with basically a "pls understand" really sucks.

This kinda gets at why this depresses me so much. I've only been following the team for a few years now, but this past year was the first time I was really getting excited about them. Following the development of the young blue line, keeping tabs on Aho getting better and better in Finland, looking at prospective draft picks, etc.

So then to have to face having the team pulled out from under you and moved with basically a "pls understand" really sucks.

Yeah it sucks. I'm much more interested in pro sports than college, so if
when
the Canes leave, then that's it from a pro perspective here. That being said, this is a huge college area (UNC, NC State, Duke, etc.) and NC has always been a college basketball state. It's surprising that hockey even gained a foothold here, but I suspect much of that was initially driven by all the relocated northerners settling here.

Yeah it sucks. I'm much more interested in pro sports than college, so if
when
the Canes leave, then that's it from a pro perspective here. That being said, this is a huge college area (UNC, NC State, Duke, etc.) and NC has always been a college basketball state. It's surprising that hockey even gained a foothold here, but I suspect much of that was initially driven by all the relocated northerners settling here.

Not a Panthers fan?

zroid

Banned
Maybe we should keep Bozak around just to make sure we have someone to expose :lol

Or can we count on Lupul playing 40 games next season? I think not.

The two Fs could be Lupul and Bozak, or swap one with Komarov if necessary. D is a bit trickier...

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Leafs clearing out all their old jerseys the next 3 days at real sports it seems

75% off

also Matthews is now 5'10, 170 lbs

proof:

6915_Cover2_zps2lq5dd5w.jpg~original

Entropia

No One Remembers
I guess it's a good thing I don't live in Raleigh. I'll just keep following the time like I did when they moved from Hartford to Carolina.

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member

Karmanos rumored attempt to sell the team for $400 million a few years back to a local investor apparently did not pan out at all, and now with news of the incoming lawsuit I do think this might be it for the Canes in NC unless some kind of miracle happens.

It would be very saddening to see a former cup champion relocate, seeing that kind of memory torn to shreds would definitely suck if I were a fan.

Not excited for E3 at all, but if the Halo 5 on PC rumors are true then I'll be pretty happy. I'm not that excited for any games in the near feature as I just got a few I wanted in 2015. Halo Wars 2 and Dishonored 2 I'll play for sure, but they aren't eagerly anticipated.

Not a Panthers fan?

Born and raised in Pittsburgh by a die-hard football father, so it's Steelers all the way as far as football. Charlotte is also almost 3 hours from me, so while they're in NC they're not exactly jump in a car for a round trip close.

We wanted to go to the Steelers vs. Panthers game last year, but of course it was a Sunday Night game and my kids had to be up for school the next morning. Sucks, because I would've liked to take them to a home Steelers game, which based on the pics I've seen of the crowd, there was more black and gold than Carolina blue there that night.

Top Bottom