• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Who cares when we all know they'll continue to keep PJ Stock/Healy around in prominent roles.

I had no problem with Strombo, I liked how he was different than the other guys but I can see why they started making changes there first.

zroid

Banned
Who cares when we all know they'll continue to keep PJ Stock/Healy around in prominent roles.

I had no problem with Strombo, I liked how he was different than the other guys but I can see why they started making changes there first.
it just speaks to Rogers not really identifying the problem

Cake Boss

Banned
fadebd57b5dd47429288d2c36059a8db.png

wow

Thank fucking lord.

Strombo and hockey night in Canada is the worst thing in hockey.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

I don't like the move at all. First, I hate Stromboolluoujloloiush. He provides no analysis whatsoever, seems like he's on Ritalin all the time, constantly interrupts people when they answer, and jeez some of the stuff he says and does just seems cringey as fuck. He's better as an interviewer in a more intimate setting like his previous shows where he can engage with the person he's interviewing and he can do some research beforehand and add to it. He needs to realize he's there as the fucking HOST not the INTERVIEWER and needs to just set things up and let the other people do the talking, even if those idiots happen to be Healy, Kyperos, and MacLean. He just seems like he sticks out in the group of old white guys and has beens talking about a game they barely understand now.

However, Ron is getting pretty fuckin old and I see him retiring pretty much around the same time Cherry retires too. George may have been a choice for the long haul so that a new generation of viewers can grow up with him, but if the execs at the top really want an example of how things should be done, they should look to TSN: thoughtful neutral analysis, lighthearted and inoffensive entertainment, insightful breakdown of plays, and a slicker presentation and style.

People are right that George isn't the reason the ratings tanked, but I honestly think this is a step in the right direction. If it were up to me, I'd make everything a lot flashier, more uptempo, and more focus on the strategies and breakdown of plays along with adding the newer advanced stats in there as well as the usual drama and stories that are usually done. CBC's slant was always on Canadian players, communities, where they came from, and a traditional family viewing environment. Sportsnet just has a bunch of old people yelling at each other.

Yawnier

Banned
Sportsnet just has a bunch of old people yelling at each other.

You pretty much just summed up Sportsnet's Hockey Central at Noon and most of the other things that Sportsnet does as well.

Who the fuck wants to listen to Nick Kypreos and Doug MacLean yell at each other for an hour over pointless stuff? Nobody does.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
gangsta with an a 🔫

haven't seen any yet. But really hoping Piper redeems herself as I hate watching her continually be a shit head

i've only seen the first few episodes but... nope. it's pretty much just that. there's just NOTHING interesting going on.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Anyone else find it kind of amazing that Matthews didn't even play organized hockey until he was 15?

Dude barely even played on real ice up until that point.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Oh man, that Green celebration. If Subban pulled that after a goal the entire NHL would collapse within itself.

I love it.

Smiley90

Can't you say the same for any sport?

You can only say that if all you care about is the outcome, not the individual scoring plays.

e.g. basketball has SO many scoring plays that the outcome is much more important/exciting to anticipate than each individual scoring play, and missing a scoring play e.g. in the 2nd quarter doesn't matter.

In hockey/soccer, each scoring play is much more rare so if you only watch the last 2 minutes of a 1-0 game that stays 1-0, you missed everything that happened. whereas if you watch a basketball game that is 110-110 with 2mins left and ends 121-119 (and there WILL be scoring in the last 2 minutes, that much is guaranteed), you got the most important part of it.

You can only say that if all you care about is the outcome, not the individual scoring plays.

e.g. basketball has SO many scoring plays that the outcome is much more important/exciting to anticipate than each individual scoring play, and missing a scoring play e.g. in the 2nd quarter doesn't matter.

In hockey/soccer, each scoring play is much more rare so if you only watch the last 2 minutes of a 1-0 game that stays 1-0, you missed everything that happened. whereas if you watch a basketball game that is 110-110 with 2mins left and ends 121-119 (and there WILL be scoring in the last 2 minutes, that much is guaranteed), you got the most important part of it.
Smelly gets it.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It's almost too easy to foul the opposition. Basically, almost every contact is called a foul. It really slows the game down.
Yea, I don't know if this is normal, but the reffing seems ridiculously tight. The never ending fouls interrupt the great flow going on.

Yea, I don't know if this is normal, but the reffing seems ridiculously tight. The never ending fouls interrupt the great flow going on.

OH it's normal. I think NBA Referees are the worst in sports.

There were some bullshit calls from the Toronto and Cleveland series. Biyombo Blocked Lebron and he got a foul no reason

HE CLEARLY BLOCKED HIM, it was ridiculous

Calamari41

41 > 38
Everyone is allowed to have one conspiracy theory, and mine is that basketball is fixed to the extent that if it were revealed that the players were receiving direct orders in the locker room, I wouldn't be surprised.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly I thought the NBA championship ended shortly after the NHL and have been under the assumption that Lebron won again because of that one thread in OT about him.

Smiley90

Everyone is allowed to have one conspiracy theory, and mine is that basketball is fixed to the extent that if it were revealed that the players were receiving direct orders in the locker room, I wouldn't be surprised.

are we talking "go out there and play hard" orders or "at exactly 13:20, punch LeBron in the face" orders?

Top Bottom