• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

zroid

Banned
bob mckenzie also saying in the video that a lot of NHL people believe Vesey is going to the Leafs due to Mark Hunter

Mark Hunter seems to be the most obvious and best tamperer of all time lol

(fun fact: Jimmy Vesey Sr and Mark Hunter played together on the blues)

lol

I still think he's going to Bawsten

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
lol

I still think he's going to Bawsten

I think it's just plain safe to assume he's going elsewhere... at least for the sake of maintaining your sanity

Though I don't deny that I'm excited at the prospect (no pun intended) of them all coming here... Leafs are using every tactic to assemble a top team they can

Socreges

Banned
I think it's just plain safe to assume he's going elsewhere... at least for the sake of maintaining your sanity

Though I don't deny that I'm excited at the prospect (no pun intended) of them all coming here... Leafs are using every tactic to assemble a top team they can
At this point they might just settle for assembling an NHL team.

DopeyFish

At this point they might just settle for assembling an NHL team.

lol. Though the Leafs are currently in very good shape, despite the final result in the standings. Well... except our goaltending... who the hell knows who is going to be playing for us next year. We have nobody right now.

Might have an NHL ready prospect in the draft this year (as the consensus top 4 are all big players) dubois probably not as his birthday is like 2 days before the draft

Then there's marner.

If the perfect storm happens and Leafs get Vesey/Zaitsev/Stamkos... i don't know what they're going to do tbh... i'm filling out our NHL lineup and there's too many NHL ready prospects... it's like how the hell did that happen so quickly lol i'm not used to this ;_;

Quick

Banned
I've been paying close attention and, basically, I think Quick is a loose cannon. A rebel, an iconoclast, someone who just won't play by the rules because he has no respek for the game. Imagine a less sweaty Nick Nolte in 48 Hours, but (presumably?) not as violent and casually racist.

Or his work kinda sucks and some random VP there is a dickbag.

Therrien is my VP.

What does that have to do with what you did...?

I don't get it either. When I read through it, all I could really say was "ok" out loud to myself.

zroid

Banned
Nooo... my free trial of NHL Centre Ice ended with the regular season :(

that's how I was getting to watch all those OHL playoff games.

Montresor

lol. Though the Leafs are currently in very good shape, despite the final result in the standings. Well... except our goaltending... who the hell knows who is going to be playing for us next year. We have nobody right now.

Might have an NHL ready prospect in the draft this year (as the consensus top 4 are all big players) dubois probably not as his birthday is like 2 days before the draft

Then there's marner.

If the perfect storm happens and Leafs get Vesey/Zaitsev/Stamkos... i don't know what they're going to do tbh... i'm filling out our NHL lineup and there's too many NHL ready prospects... it's like how the hell did that happen so quickly lol i'm not used to this ;_;

You forgot Auston Matthews in that list. :) But I think hoping for Vesey is unrealistic as he's likely going to Boston. I think this is the perfect storm if God smiles down on us and if Toronto is extremely lucky:

Sign Zaitsev
Sign Stamkos
Draft Auston Matthews

The team would be really fun to watch if all these players made the roster on opening night:

Nylander
Marner
Matthews
Stamkos
Zaitsev

Couple that with the Kadri and Rielly signings and this (unrealistic but very exciting to think about) offseason would get Shanahan, Hunter, Dubas, Lamiorello, and Babcock high marks. No good starting goalies anywhere in the system though.... :/

zroid

Banned
I still have zero expectations for Zaitsev just because all I've ever seen from him are a few highlights. I guess he might be good but for now just thinking of him like a lottery ticket.

Socreges

Banned
Canucks sign North Dakota d-man Troy Stecher

+ decent stats and was named to the all-tournament team
+ might help with signing Boeser next year
+ Vancouver native

I'm sure there weren't many teams clamouring for his services, but we'll see how he does.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

+ Vancouver native

I'm sure there weren't many teams clamouring for his services, but we'll see how he does.

What is Vancouver's Mimico?

DopeyFish

Wait, there's rumor wiercioch won't even be qualified by the senators? Loooool

The leafs best be all over him if true (and probably will be)

He has fantastic fancy stats

Quick

Banned

+ Vancouver native

+ great opportunity for a nickname. TROY STRETCHER

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Leafs fans are always talking about all their froward prospects / free agent signings / etc but how is their D aside from Gardiner / Rielly? Not to mention they don't have any decent goal tending in the pipeline, there's still a lot of work to be done unless they want to be the next Oilers with only forward depth.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Is Moen still playing with the Stars?

Honestly I have no idea.

Leafs fans are always talking about all their froward prospects / free agent signings / etc but how is their D aside from Gardiner / Rielly? Not to mention they don't have any decent goal tending in the pipeline, there's still a lot of work to be done unless they want to be the next Oilers with only forward depth.

Bro, they've got Zaitsev now, they don't need anyone else.

<3 you guys

Yawnier

Banned
This is why some leaf fans want a D if we pick at 4.

We have a few guys in junior like Dermott and Nielsen, and a few marlies defenceman who played on the leafs this year like Loov and Valiev but there isn't a whole lot there in terms of top-4 potential guys.

imBask

Banned

From as far back as I can remember, Leafs fan were talking about their prospect and how great they are and how great they're going to be 3 years from now and blablabla

they've been talking about prospects for LITERALLY 12 years now. And as good as Rielly/Gardiner are, neither are #1 dman

Quick

Banned

Then there's marner.

You forgot Auston Matthews in that list. :) But I think hoping for Vesey is unrealistic as he's likely going to Boston. I think this is the perfect storm if God smiles down on us and if Toronto is extremely lucky:

Sign Zaitsev
Sign Stamkos
Draft Auston Matthews

The team would be really fun to watch if all these players made the roster on opening night:

Nylander
Marner
Matthews
Stamkos
Zaitsev

Couple that with the Kadri and Rielly signings and this (unrealistic but very exciting to think about) offseason would get Shanahan, Hunter, Dubas, Lamiorello, and Babcock high marks. No good starting goalies anywhere in the system though.... :/

Leafs have a ton of centres in the system. I don't know how much management is actually looking at Stamkos. He'd shoot up to the first line, but there's also plenty of cheaper options simply by looking at the Marlies, and just hoping Naz continues to improve.

Leafs have a ton of centres in the system. I don't know how much management is actually looking at Stamkos. He'd shoot up to the first line, but there's also plenty of cheaper options simply by looking at the Marlies, and just hoping Naz continues to improve.

If you sign Stamkos then expectations will be much different I feel rather than if you don't

Yawnier

Banned
Aside from Naz and Nylander there honestly isn't a lot there in terms of centers with top six potential in our system.

Don't count Marner since he moved to RW this season.

The leafs probably have one of the deepest prospect pools in the league at the wing though. Shit ton of good wingers on the marlies and in juniors.

zroid

Banned

Well, it's like I was saying earlier. The Leafs have a lot of 4,5,6 D in the system.

As of now I'd probably say that Gardiner is a 2, Rielly is a 3, Marincin is a 4. They obviously don't have a 1, which is a big hole.

Then there's a jumble of Carrick, Valiev, Percy, Harrington, Corrado, and Loov, who have all spent some time in the NHL and can probably be adequate 5,6 guys, maybe one or two reach their ceiling of a 4. Zaitsev is, supposedly, someone who can step into a 2nd pair role now, so let's say he's a 4.

There's a couple other promising prospects in junior but I still don't really know what they're going to be, so let's ignore.

So basically the Leafs D depth is a lot better than the Oilers ever was. But unless they can get another top pair D, they're not going to be able to compete legitimately. The hope is Rielly develops into one but we'll see. They might need to get creative or lucky in an upcoming draft.

Quick

Banned
am I reading that the team that finished dead last has too many good centers to go for Steven Stamkos?

All our centres are future HOFers. #bookit

But seriously, I'm not saying they're all good centres, but there's certainly some potential in the system to build a team from within. I'd be excited (but nervous) to have Stamkos with the Leafs, but I wouldn't blame Lou if he decided to go with another option or look into the system.

Stamkos is gonna be expensive. Leafs have the cap room. So, there are certainly options available. lol

Speaking of cap room, Gunnarsson is off the books officially for the summer.

Top Bottom