• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

Cake Boss

Banned
http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hoc...the-melnyk-factor-looms-large-in-sens-country

DAT ETHER ON MELNYK Woooof

Holy shit, local mainstream media throwing bombs at Melnyk. I never thought I see the day holy fuck.

Now that they are both outside of that select group of 30, both men can appreciate the ‘M’ Factor that any prospective new head coach of the Senators must consider.

The Melnyk Factor.

This kind of dollar-in, dollar-out logic drives the fan base crazy because coaching, management and scouting costs do not count against the NHL salary cap. Here is an area where some teams strategically load up — the Maple Leafs, for example.

With his new contract, Mike Babcock is earning $6.25 million per season to coach the Leafs. He’s just one member of an off-ice program that doesn’t scrimp on hockey operations expenditures.

In contrast to most, the Senators are a bare-bones hockey operations group. Murray, Dorion, and AGM Randy Lee bear a heavy load.

It will be interesting to see how involved Melnyk becomes in the hiring of the next coach. In June of 2008, the Senators appeared to be on the verge of hiring highly-considered OHL coach Peter DeBoer, and then DeBoer met with Melnyk in Barbados.

Whatever went on in those talks, DeBoer quickly signed with the Florida Panthers and Ottawa turned to Craig Hartsburg as its next coach. Hartsburg lasted just 48 games before the Senators promoted Cory Clouston from AHL Binghamton to replace him.

Today DeBoer is an established NHL head coach (San Jose Sharks) with eight years in the league and a resume that includes directing the New Jersey Devils to the 2012 Stanley Cup final.

Whomever is hired to coach the Senators will have to hope that Murray maintains his role as the chief buffer between the owner and the rest of the hockey operation.

It was Melnyk who dumped head coach Jacques Martin in a fit of pique after the Senators lost the 2004 Eastern Conference quarter-final series to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Prior to Game 7 of that series, Melnyk had said publicly, “We’re going to kill ’em.”

Martin paid the price when Ottawa didn’t “kill ’em.

Quick

Banned
I'm fully expecting him to sign with some other team and then Lou is going to come out and say "Yeah we never called him" and toronto media goes insane.

This seems like such a Lou thing to do. It would almost be like a power move just for him to say "we considered it, but we ultimately didn't think he fits in what we're trying to do."

Then every Leafs reporter commits sudoku.

Cake Boss

Banned
I thought it wasn't until end of summer. Not 100% sure though.

Ok, found the timeline of how things are suppose to go down:

So yeah, they'll tentatively pick a winner in the Summer/Fall, but we're not going to know about it until next year.

Yeah I just found that.

Seeing how public this whole process has been, I am 99% confident whoever is the winner of the bid is going to intentionally leak it. Or we will know if that old cheapskate starts spending money.

imBask

Banned
well I have got it completely right up until now

foresight, don't let me downnnnn

stamkos-subban.jpg

zroid

Banned
I'm fully expecting him to sign with some other team and then Lou is going to come out and say "Yeah we never called him" and toronto media goes insane.
Lol I don't think Lou would say that. He's too guarded. It'd probably be something more like "We always have discussions with every free agent we can if we think it makes us better."

without actually admitting whether or not they talked to Stamkos

Wild signed their 2014 1st Round Draft Pick. Their AHL team this year was abysmal, but they're having a pretty decent infusion of NCAA talent going there next year (2011 2nd rounder, 2011 5th rounder, 2012 4th, 2014 1st, 2014 6th), all of whom produced pretty well over their college careers. Hopefully that bumps Iowa up into a bottom-10 team rather than bottom-two.

Also, found out I'm likely going to San Francisco for a week later this summer. Pretty much our honeymoon right after the wedding.

Any y'all ever been there before?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Man, Andre Kostitsyn was the most frustrating guy to watch. He had some really great moments playing with Eller too.

imBask

Banned
They were lazy cocaine addicted locker room clique creating cancers involved in all sorts of shit fuck them forever

there's a reason why 30 GM won't touch these two eventhough they're both 50 pointers

Socreges

Banned
Just watched some Troy Stecher highlights. Looks decent. Skates well at least with some offensive punch. No idea how he'll do defensively. Best part of the video was the glimpses of Boeser.

Canucks are loaded with undersized dman now. Good thing is we have a chance to draft a guy like Juolevi.

I wonder who's gonna get Caggiula. Oilers, Sabres, Sens, Hawks, Canucks all interested. I figure he'll sign with the Sabres or Hawks.

Pick your battles better, champ. Even your detective skills are no match for dopeystats.
:'(

I wouldn't be too worried about Radulov being a locker room cancer, I'm more concerned with money and term for a 29 year old that could drop off.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Wasnt Kostitsyn the guy who went to the bench instead of trying to stop an opponent's breakaway?

D'après Michel Bergeron, Francis Bouillon serait en discussion avec les #Habs @TVASports Entraîneur adjoint?

Cup is ours!!! Bouillon will save the day
😢

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
D'après Michel Bergeron, Francis Bouillon serait en discussion avec les #Habs @TVASports Entraîneur adjoint?

Cup is ours!!! Bouillon will save the day
😢
Lmfao

The cure to all our coaching problems, Therrien couldn't handle being away from him this long. Can't wait until Desharnais and Weiss are assistant coaches too.

zroid

Banned
Good god... London just came back from 4-1 down to Kitchener. Marner with the tying and go ahead goals late in the 3rd period. 5-4.

if they win it'll be a sweep

edit: Empty netter seals it

Bracco had a nice game, goal and an assist.

Merguson

Banned
Good god... London just came back from 4-1 down to Kitchener. Marner with the tying and go ahead goals late in the 3rd period. 5-4.

if they win it'll be a sweep

edit: Empty netter seals it

Bracco had a nice game, goal and an assist.

24 points in 10 playoff games for Marner.

FgpI71H.gif

Yawnier

Banned
Was half wondering if we could see Bracco join the Marlies but with all those wingers ahead of him there really isn't much room, and he doesn't have an ELC yet but I assume he could be given an ATO.

Also if Marner goes back to junior hockey in October then man I don't even know. Some people have compared his situation to Max Domi but damn he is farther ahead of where Domi was 2 years ago if you even want to compare the two. He's a primary point generating machine and it's not like he is some defensive liability either.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I say screw it and bring bracco up

Leafs need to see if he should go OHL or AHL next year

Also marner is ridiculous

Top Bottom