• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So basically the Leafs D depth is a lot better than the Oilers ever was. But unless they can get another top pair D, they're not going to be able to compete legitimately. The hope is Rielly develops into one but we'll see. They might need to get creative or lucky in an upcoming draft.
Definitely a step a head of Edmonton, but yea they still need that #1, you don't win a cup without a #1 D who can eat up 30 minutes in the playoffs if necessary. Goaltending could be easy enough to fix through trade or free agency.

Yawnier

Banned
So basically the Leafs D depth is a lot better than the Oilers ever was. But unless they can get another top pair D, they're not going to be able to compete legitimately. The hope is Rielly develops into one but we'll see. They might need to get creative or lucky in an upcoming draft.
I've warmed up a lot lately to the idea of drafting a Chychrun or Sergachyev at #4. I do get a little nervous tho since drafting defencemen at the top of the draft can be a little voodoo sometimes.

But a Rielly-Gardiner-Chychrun/Serg D core could be half decent moving forward over the next several years.

Then pray that one or two of a Dermott/Nielsen/Zaitsev/Valiev/random 2016/17 draft pick can pan out to round out a top 4-5 (I realize not everybody is going to pan out ofc).

Gt8grx6.jpg

It was a really good year for Raptors.

Socreges

Banned
Leafs fans are mostly pretty modest. Zombie, eyeless (?) and Dopey are the only few that I've really seen get arrogant about being the worst team in the league. As if the position they're in is superior to teams currently in the playoffs. I think when you're that terrible for that long, though, you can only compare yourselves to other bottom feeders and in that respect the Leafs farm and future is definitely promising. Just the fact that they finished last in the league is THESE DAYS somehow reason enough to puff out your fucking chest. We joke about how teams WIN most terrible team, but I think some people here really have worn it as a badge of honour.

To that point, I genuinely wish the Canucks had placed last. I'm jelly.

All I know is, after a year like that, Babcock wanting the playoffs next year is a real knee slapper. I can't wait to see the circus spin up again both in the media and with Leafs fans.

Red_Man

All I know is, after a year like that, Babcock wanting the playoffs next year is a real knee slapper. I can't wait to see the circus spin up again both in the media and with Leafs fans.

Seriously, dude. I did say in my original posts I wasn't aware what the impact Kessel leaving would have on his linemates. I was saying as long as all other things remained equal, technically they could replace those goals.

I was merely making a case for the fact Leafs still have potential to be a playoffs team due to the remaining talent on the team... merely as concern we'd botch our rebuild if babcock actually has the team do things in the defensive zone. Reminder that our first line had a +/- into the -30s. Also... the 4th line never really existed. Leafs were usually using 7 D and rolling a higher lined player onto the 4th line. It's not a very efficient use of players on roster.

I wasn't trying to frame it as the leafs potential for success, it was more of a lack of confidence our roster is thin enough to ensure we draft high.

In your mind, when they're officially going through a rebuild, what is the leafiest thing you could think of the team doing?

Dopeys fear were never realized thankfully

eyeless

Leafs fans are mostly pretty modest. Zombie, eyeless (?) and Dopey are the only few that I've really seen get arrogant about being the worst team in the league. As if the position they're in is superior to teams currently in the playoffs. I think when you're that terrible for that long, though, you can only compare yourselves to other bottom feeders and in that respect the Leafs farm and future is definitely promising. Just the fact that they finished last in the league is THESE DAYS somehow reason enough to puff out your fucking chest. We joke about how teams WIN most terrible team, but I think some people here really have worn it as a badge of honour.

To that point, I genuinely wish the Canucks had placed last. I'm jelly.
i'm not arrogant at all broseph, i would be interested if you could find many examples of me boasting about how great the leafs are. the leafs are bad, although there are more than a couple reasons to be optimistic, which may work out or may not. that's the long and short of it. i've i guess implied that the canucks aren't a great team a couple times, like saying the oilers wouldn't win a game, even against the nucks? so me saying the canucks would win a hockey game is the great affront to your sensibilities. actually i think if i've said the nucks were bad a couple times recently it's cause as a fellow shit team i hoped they'd win and they didn't do that much. that's that really. but anyway you've probably talked shit about the leafs 9000% more than i've ever done so with the nucks.

i think maybe that's the difference in sensitivity levels between other canadian team fanbases and the leafs. someone talks shit about the leafs multiple times a day around here, and we let it roll off our back. you literally just did it last page and no one felt the need to respond. nucks fans are used to being the smugly superior team looking down on the leafs as has been the norm. but now the nucks are on benning's wild ride and you're sensitive and have to respond to the mildest slights. leafs suck, nucks suck. become dead inside and numb to it as we always have.

Socreges

Banned
i'm not arrogant at all broseph, i would be interested if you could find many examples of me boasting about how great the leafs are. the leafs are bad, although there are more than a couple reasons to be optimistic, which may work out or may not. that's the long and short of it. i've i guess implied that the canucks aren't a great team a couple times, like saying the oilers wouldn't win a game, even against the nucks? so me saying the canucks would win a hockey game is the great affront to your sensibilities. actually i think if i've said the nucks were bad a couple times recently it's cause as a fellow shit team i hoped they'd win and they didn't do that much. that's that really. but anyway you've probably talked shit about the leafs 9000% more than i've ever done so with the nucks.

i think maybe that's the difference in sensitivity levels between other canadian team fanbases and the leafs. someone talks shit about the leafs multiple times a day around here, and we let it roll off our back. you literally just did it last page and no one felt the need to respond. nucks fans are used to being the smugly superior team looking down on the leafs as has been the norm. but now the nucks are on benning's wild ride and you're sensitive and have to respond to the mildest slights. leafs suck, nucks suck. become dead inside and numb to it as we always have.
Oh, I've sparked something.

Take it easy. I was just thinking of people who have spoken so confidently of late over the future of a team that, last I checked, was still last in the league. I also put a question mark next to your name because honestly I tend to confuse you with other Leafs fans in here. So many constituents make the hive and one bee resembles the other.

I was also speaking lamentably about the state of hockey fans these days. We hate being shitty so rather than wallowing in misery we begin to aspire to and enjoy the shittiness. Wasn't always like this.

zroid

Banned
PPP is having a poll to determine which AIHL team Leaf fans should officially throw their support behind

one club has a slight edge...

zXvFUOn.png

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Dopeys fear were never realized thankfully

having 350 man games lost to injury, over 100 of those being to 3 of our 4 top scorers coupled with bernier putting a wet far of a year up allowed us to be last

if neither of those things happened, we would have been on the bubble :<

imBask

Banned
And TFC still sucks, so everything is normal

Giovinco and a bunch of people
much like Nylander and a bunch of people
much like... whoever the argos have and a bunch of people, but that one doesn't count because the CFL is complete garbage

never change Toronto!

much like... whoever the argos have and a bunch of people, but that one doesn't count because the CFL is complete garbage

never change Toronto!

Hey, the Argos actually won a championship recently.

yyzjohn

Banned

never change Toronto!

Hey I'm as cynical as any Leafs fan, but if you really think the Leafs only have Nylander and nothing else is coming, I don't know what to tell you. Like I've said in the past, this team will surprise quite a few people in the next few seasons.

imBask

Banned
Hey I'm as cynical as any Leafs fan, but if you really think the Leafs only have Nylander and nothing else is coming, I don't know what to tell you. Like I've said in the past, this team will surprise quite a few people in the next few seasons.

I kid, I think you guys have a COUPLE of good guys coming up, but not as much as some of you guys think... You won't be a cup contender with 3 good kids in front and nothing else to support them, that's the Oilers way

You need a goalie, you need depth, you need some D. Lou might do a good job, but let's not forget he was also part of the Devils downfall

yyzjohn

Banned
I kid, I think you guys have a COUPLE of good guys coming up, but not as much as some of you guys think... You won't be a cup contender with 3 good kids in front and nothing else to support them, that's the Oilers way

You need a goalie, you need depth, you need some D. Lou might do a good job, but let's not forget he was also part of the Devils downfall

Sure but different set of circumstances from NJ to Toronto. Jersey was always a shoestring budget team so the success he accomplished there was pretty impressive considering he didn't have the financial resources that a team like the Leafs have. I'm not just talking straight salaries either but the overall spending with scouting, management, taking on bad contracts etc. He has a lot more flexibility here to make moves and not really worry about the financial aspect. That being said, Lou is only here a short time and is grooming the chosen one Dubas. In the kid we trust.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Per Don Sweeney, Clode will "absolutely" be back with the Bruins.

:|

Red_Man

Sweeney says Julien will be back next season.

So we can still fire Therrien and hire Julien.

"That was hurtful. I didn't feel any need for it. I felt I was fired for three weeks," says Cameron on owner's comments. #Sens

Dave Cameron regarding Melnyk comments about him starting Matt O'Connor in game 1.

I'm no fan of Cameron but that was a dick thing to say.

Melnyk is destroying this team. Reincarnation of Harold Ballard.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Former Lightning GM Brian Lawton on Stamkos "In my opinion, I could see him wanting very badly to play in Toronto".

orly

Yawnier

Banned
Dave Cameron regarding Melnyk comments about him starting Matt O'Connor in game 1.

I'm no fan of Cameron but that was a dick thing to say.

Melnyk is destroying this team. Reincarnation of Harold Ballard.

There are only two ways I see to get Melnyk away from your team:

a) he sells the team (LeBreton Flats bid?)
b) or he eventually dies (Harold Ballard style)

Yawnier

Banned
i think melnyk still has a way to go before he's harold ballard

maybe bill wirtz is a better comparison

Yeah it takes a special owner to be on Ballard's level.

Though how the Sens basically hire and fire their head coach every one to two years is pretty similar to the Ballard era of the leafs. Go look at how many head coaches the leafs went through from the mid 70s to the late 80s.

Merguson

Banned
Former Lightning GM Brian Lawton on Stamkos "In my opinion, I could see him wanting very badly to play in Toronto".

orly

I'm fully expecting him to sign with some other team and then Lou is going to come out and say "Yeah we never called him" and toronto media goes insane.

calder

It would be nice to worry about the playoffs for a change.

Had a taste last year, it's pretty overrated. Just a lot of worry and tension for nothing and then you're in the Off Season thread in ten days or so anyway.

I can't even really imagine what it's like to have to deal with a second round of playoffs, sounds pretty intense. :|

Silexx

asshole millionaire owner holding local team hostage for reasons.

Aren't suppose to know who won the NCC downtown bid by now?

I thought it wasn't until end of summer. Not 100% sure though.

Ok, found the timeline of how things are suppose to go down:

Timeline

January 26 and 27, 2016: Public consultation
January 26 to February 8, 2016: Online consultation
February 2016: Review by evaluation committee
Spring 2016: Evaluation committee recommendation to the NCC Board of Directors
Summer/Fall 2016: Negotiations with the preferred proponent
Fall 2016: Federal approval process
Early 2017: Announcement of successful proponent
2017: Municipal process (NCC and City of Ottawa)

So yeah, they'll tentatively pick a winner in the Summer/Fall, but we're not going to know about it until next year.

Top Bottom