• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Same thing as when the Leafs (?) said they want to talk to the Sedins. I think they got a fine and that's it. It's just dumb Jim doing his thing.

What time's the draft?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Same thing as when the Leafs (?) said they want to talk to the Sedins. I think they got a fine and that's it. It's just dumb Jim doing his thing.

What time's the draft?

7 EST.

So probably 7:30 for the first pick, then 8 for the second pick after the Matthews fellatio is over.

Socreges

Banned
Upgrading the defence doesn't mean not upgrading the offence as well...

We really need a Dopey version of the Creeper bad posting gif.

I have a very difficult time seeing Bergevin / Timmins moving the 9th pick for him, especially in such a deep draft.

Lol Fuck out of here with your second tier garbage Benning
2nd tier garbage... you think way too much of Subban. It'd be Bennings worst move yet if he made that trade and that's saying a lot.

Its kinda funny how the leafs have the smartest management group of all Canadian teams. Went from worst to best.

Yeah it seems that way, but so far all they had to do was lose on purpose. It'll be interesting to see how they try to fix and tweak their team in the future.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
2nd tier garbage... you think way too much of Subban. It'd be Bennings worst move yet if he made that trade and that's saying a lot.
And you think way too less of him, a 2nd line center at best, a top 4 D and a top #5 pick that may or may not pan out for one of the top 2 defenceman in the world. I'll stick with the proven world class player, thanks.

Yawnier

Banned
Yeah it seems that way, but so far all they had to do was lose on purpose. It'll be interesting to see how they try to fix and tweak their team in the future.

Pretty much.

Need more RHD and goalies in the prospect pipeline, which hopefully this draft takes care some of.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Haven't read back but people are speculating Damien Cox is out on HNIC?

Just saw he's going to be Bob McCown's official co-host.

Solo

It does when your name is Marc Bergevin. Face it, Red, Bergevin sucks and has failed to improve the team. I was right there with you ballwashing him 2+ years back, but that was the honeymoon phase. The reality is that he's failed on almost every front.

zroid

Banned
Haven't read back but people are speculating Damien Cox is out on HNIC?

Just saw he's going to be Bob McCown's official co-host.
Yup. Seems to be all but official.

Frankly I used to consider Cox on the same level as Simmons, but I don't mind him as much anymore. He's far from the worst thing about the Sportsnet NHL broadcasts.

He'll probably make PTS more listenable though. I can't stand it when McCown just goes on his rants without anyone to oppose his dumbassery.

Listening to a radio trivia show this morning.

"What country voted to leave the EU yesterday?"
"Pass."

And you think way too less of him, a 2nd line center at best, a top 4 D and a top #5 pick that may or may not pan out for one of the top 2 defenceman in the world. I'll stick with the proven world class player, thanks.

I think you're overrating Subban and underrating Tanev, but I agree that the best the Canucks have to offer isn't enough for Subban.

Solo

"Puck moving defenseman" is such a garbage phrase. But even if I buy into the phrase, Habs already have 3 of those.....acquire all the puck moving D-men!

Red_Man

It does when your name is Marc Bergevin. Face it, Red, Bergevin sucks and has failed to improve the team. I was right there with you ballwashing him 2+ years back, but that was the honeymoon phase. The reality is that he's failed on almost every front.
His lack of movement on the forward corps is disappointing, but he also hasn't made a terrible move that cost this team, he hasn't gone out and made a move just to make a move like a lot of Habs fans want. I've definitely soured on him, but the reality is the team is in a very good position cap wise, have only 1 terrible contract really, and have an amazing core. Things could be a lot worse, today's draft and the UFA period coming up will be what defines his career here. Obviously the Therrien still makes me furious, but the Muller hire has inspired a lot more confidence in me.

I think you're overrating Subban and underrating Tanev, but I agree that the best the Canucks have to offer isn't enough for Subban.
Does Tanev have legit top 2 potential? Trading Subban would leave such a giant hole in our defence, we would need another guy coming back who might be able to play in that role. None of this makes sense anyways for a team that is suppose to be rebuilding to go and offer the farm for Subban.

Yawnier

Banned
Yup. Seems to be all but official.

Frankly I used to consider Cox on the same level as Simmons, but I don't mind him as much anymore. He's far from the worst thing about the Sportsnet NHL broadcasts.

He'll probably make PTS more listenable though. I can't stand it when McCown just goes on his rants without anyone to oppose his dumbassery.

I actually don't mind Cox all that much either. I take him any day out of the week over Kypreos and Doug MacLean, which is a low bar to set I know.

yyzjohn

Banned
"Puck moving defenseman" is such a garbage phrase. But even if I buy into the phrase, Habs already have 3 of those.....acquire all the puck moving D-men!

I know man, all defensemen move pucks, just some slower than others, and some move them in the wrong direction. :D

zroid

Banned

It is but only because stay at home defencemen still exist. When every NHL D-man is a puck mover -- as they should be -- then the phrase would be obsolete.

Solo

His lack of movement on the forward corps is disappointing, but he also hasn't made a terrible move that cost this team, he hasn't gone out and made a move just to make a move like a lot of Habs fans want. I've definitely soured on him, but the reality is the team is in a very good position cap wise, have only 1 terrible contract really, and have an amazing core. Things could be a lot worse, today's draft and the UFA period coming up will be what defines his career here. Obviously the Therrien still makes me furious, but the Muller hire has inspired a lot more confidence in me.

Well I'd say that his dickering around with Subban cost us $36M extra dollars in the long run, and he did the same thing with AGally last year, who then scored 30 goals. If AGally pots 30 again this year, it'll be the Subban situation 2.0 (albeit likely for less $$). To me, those 2 moves alone were bad enough, but compound that with half measures like Sekac and Semin, his insistence on backing Therrien, his failure to unload even ONE of Pleks/DD/Eller, and his inability to land even one legit top 6 player since he arrived in 2012, and he's trash in my books. I shudder to think of how he'll handle Carey Price's expiring contract in 2018. Muller is absolutely a step in the right direction, but to me it's the first step forward after about 5 steps back.

As far as cap space....while we aren't in dreadful shape, we can't even fit Stamcock alone under the cap without moving some contracts.

Smiley90

We really need a Dopey version of the Creeper bad posting gif.

I have a very difficult time seeing Bergevin / Timmins moving the 9th pick for him, especially in such a deep draft.

Lol Fuck out of here with your second tier garbage Benning

Wait, does Friedmann read GAF? That's literally the trade offer I floated yesterday...

"Second tier garbage" fuck off Red :lol

Tanev's a severely underrated shutdown D. He can play wherever you want him to.

Red_Man

The Subban contract / Therrien backings are easily the worst offences, but his biggest crime has been lack of action, which I would rather have then Gautheir / Gainey trading away a #1 Dman for a over the hill center.

As far as cap space....while we aren't in dreadful shape, we can't even fit Stamcock alone under the cap without moving some contracts.
Well Stamkos is going to be the highest paid player in the league, and I don't really think he's a great fit here anyways. Compared to a lot of other teams we're in a good position, and he can go out and grab an Okposo or someone like that this summer with all the kids coming up at the same time and ready to push for a run.

"Second tier garbage" fuck off Red :lol

Tanev's a severely underrated shutdown D. He can play wherever you want him to.
28 minutes a game against the opposition top lines, and on the top PP & PK units?

Solo

In fact if Bergevin were smart he'd be negotiating with AGally *this* summer instead of next after the Subban situation. Much like Subban, you could get him at very fair term/amount right now, but if he puts up 65-70 next year.....history will repeat itself.

Smiley90

The Subban contract / Therrien backings are easily the worst offences, but his biggest crime has been lack of action, which I would rather have then Gautheir / Gainey trading away a #1 Dman for a over the hill center.

Well Stamkos is going to be the highest paid player in the league, and I don't really think he's a great fit here anyways. Compared to a lot of other teams we're in a good position, and he can go out and grab an Okposo or someone like that this summer with all the kids coming up at the same time and ready to push for a run.

28 minutes a game against the opposition top lines, and on the top PP & PK units?

Not on the PP. i'm not saying he's as good as Subban, just not second tier garbage and you'd be VERY happy having him.

Somebody post the fancystats for Tanev please, I dont know how to find those.

In fact if Bergevin were smart he'd be negotiating with AGally *this* summer instead of next after the Subban situation. Much like Subban, you could get him at very fair term/amount right now, but if he puts up 65-70 next year.....history will repeat itself.

Avs already did this first with ROR now with Barrie. Now they have to pay Barrie a lot more or lose him.

Red_Man

Not on the PP. i'm not saying he's as good as Subban, just not second tier garbage and you'd be VERY happy having him.

I don't doubt that, but the return on Subban needs to be more than support players. We already have too many 2 way centers and top 4 D. For reference the rumoured asking price for the Avs was Duchene + Barrie + 1st

Solo

Avs already did this first with ROR now with Barrie. Now they have to pay Barrie a lot more or lose him.

Yep, it's frustrating as fuck as a fan watching your GM lowball your young talent to these bridge deals when you just know it's going to bite them in the ass.

Socreges

Banned

Red has gone from calling Tanev, Horvat and a 5th "2nd tier garbage" to pointing out the obvious: Tanev isn't as good as Subban.

For sure you don't want to make the trade because how do you replace him. But I also don't want $9m tied up in one elite dude at the expense of three possibly great players that themselves will be difficult to replace. I'd be shocked if Dim even made that offer.

And Tanev has great shutdown and possession stats, but poor production.

I asked this yesterday and didn't think I got a response. Last year, around here the ROR deal I thought was seen as a joke. In retrospect it doesn't seem like a bad deal considering points / games played and what other numbers are being thrown around?

iLLmAtlc

This is the site I use Smelly: http://ownthepuck.blogspot.ca/

ViU0dIY.png

But yeah I think the rumoured Canucks offer is too much. It would create too many holes to fill if they want to compete which is why they'd want Subban in the first place.

yyzjohn

Banned
Red has gone from calling Tanev, Horvat and a 5th "2nd tier garbage" to pointing out the obvious: Tanev isn't as good as Subban.

For sure you don't want to make the trade because how do you replace him. But I also don't want $9m tied up in one elite dude at the expense of three possibly great players that themselves will be difficult to replace. I'd be shocked if Dim even made that offer.

And Tanev has great shutdown and possession stats, but poor production.

This is the thing that fantasy traders don't understand. The new reality of the NHL is cap space is used as an asset now. What might look like a bad deal for a team is justified in clearing up cap room, even if the players going back the other way don't add up to the talent you are losing.

I asked this yesterday and didn't think I got a response. Last year, around here the ROR deal I thought was seen as a joke. In retrospect it doesn't seem like a bad deal considering points / games played and what other numbers are being thrown around?

I don't think anyone said it was a joke, just that 7 million was high (which it is). Especially when they have to pay Eichel, etc.

Red_Man

But yeah I think the rumoured Canucks offer is too much. It would create too many holes to fill if they want to compete which is why they'd want Subban in the first place.
This is why all the Subban trade talk is stupid to begin with, only a handful of teams have the resources needed to trade for him, and none of those teams are willing to give up that much for him.

Top Bottom