• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

Get ready to see him underneath another Stanley Cup bro

Cala-mia

tumblr_m8k82o9qFd1qitl0mo9_250.gif

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Habs fans on twitter are some of the most negative and pessimistic people ever, it's crazy. This is a trade for two bottom 6 guys and they act like we just traded Roy away.

It's not only his line mates, but the style of play Therrien enforces. I'm taking a wait and see approach with it, I don't think it makes us much better, but Eller ran out of runway here. Just pissed it took two seconds to get Shaw.

Foggy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwmag4Q_Jj8

"Hard to play against"
"size"
"works hard"
"a lot of character"
"finishes every check"
"plays a hard game"
"consistent relentless effort"
"fits the Columbus Blue Jacket mold"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYsBkYKVx_I

"fits the Columbus Blue Jacket mold"

Nothing quite like passing up a sure thing for a center who's only played barely half a season at center in his entire life. In the Q. Awesome. Can't wait for him to be the next Brandon Dubinsky. Cool guy drafted by a cool team.

Foggy

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 2m2 minutes ago
#CBJ Jarmo Kekalainen: “That’s the guy we had our eye on all year. He was No. 3 on our list. He’s everything that we’re looking ... "

" ... for: smart, skilled, big, a player with a lot of character and leadership qualities.”

Yeah. Everything you could ever want right there.

More Kekalainen: "We tried (to trade down), but since he’s the guy third on our list, we don’t want to take any chances ... "

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 1m1 minute ago
" ... not getting him. We tried. The only safe pick, really, to move back to would have been No. 4. "

Brilliant, yeah. Devalue the consensus 3rd pick all the way up to the draft and only field offers from Edmonton. All Edmonton had to do was NOT give anything up and get an elite winger to add to their war chest of talent. Brilliant.

Yawnier

Banned
Listening to the Matthews interview on the leafs youtube channel, and man is Matthews boring to listen to. Even more boring than Sean Monahan.

All high draft picks get media trading so that the vultures don't pick them apart.

Auston is a joker off the ice. Real Good Show had an interview with a college player that trains with him offseason in Arizona and he says he's pretty much the first to crack a joke, and the first to be professional as hell.

Murray on Steel: "He's very smart. He sees the ice really well...

*points to ice* yep that's ice alright!

Foggy

Only the Blue Jackets could "win" a lottery and draft a guy that would've been in the exact same position as if they had not won the lottery. I pray Seth Jones gets offer sheeted and escapes this dumpster fire. It's not like ownership is going to approve any buyouts so every team should be ready and willing to offer sheet him.

Sheroking

Brilliant, yeah. Devalue the consensus 3rd pick all the way up to the draft and only field offers from Edmonton. All Edmonton had to do was NOT give anything up and get an elite winger to add to their war chest of talent. Brilliant.

Well, it's an interesting look-in at how deep these draft negotiations can go and how GMs manage them.

It's common knowledge that Calgary wanted to trade up for Puljujarvi and Edmonton liked Sergachev a lot. So when Treveling, Chiarelli and Kekalainen were talking three way deal, it's clear that the end-game would have been Calgary @ 3, Columbus @ 4 and Edmonton @ 6.

Calgary would have spent additional assets to get their guy, Columbus would have gotten their guy and something extra for dropping a spot and Edmonton would presumably add some picks to trade down into range for Sergachev.

But Chiarelli obviously sniffed out the same thing Elliott Friedman did: Columbus wanted Dubois. So why not sit tight and see if a special player drops to you.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Makes his response to this even more curious

#CBJ Kekalainen, on going home to Finland if he passes on Laine or Puljujarvi w No. 3 pick: "I’ll go to my cottage and nobody will find me."

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Benning's probably gonna go on record like "yeah we offered him 8 mio for 7 years"

NO JIM PUT THE PHONE DOWN WE DON'T TELL THAT TO PEOPLE

Top Bottom