• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

Socreges

Banned
Ahhh I keep forgetting zroid uses this place as his own personal Euros live update thread

Poland, Portugal and now France game all spoiled!

Pikma

Banned
I met an Slovakian guy on my way to Vienna who thought his team had a chance of winning against Germany.

Ha!

Oh and he was a Blackhawks bandwagoner too.

Foggy

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com...jarmo-kekalainen-gambles-by-standing-pat.html

“I don’t think that everybody who thought we were going to be much better last year was wrong,” Kekalainen said.

“We’ll bounce back. I’m confident that we’re going to bounce back to the level we expected to be last year, maybe even better because of the growth of our young guys.”

MEGA FUCKED. Sounds to me like he tried to move some of those NMC contracts and found zero traction. Unless they get Seth Jones to take a first-year discount, I have no idea how they're going to sign him. Zero movement on buyouts. Zero movement on trades. Also, only one roster spot is opening up due to Borky Bourque becoming UFA so I have no clue how he thinks any sort of growth on the youth side of things is going to make an appreciable impact. Then again, "no clue" is the phrase of the year. They were flabbergasted that the team was so bad, so I guess they're counting on a bounceback year. Bold strategy, but I guess when you throw all your cards on the table like they have, they're going to let their hand ride.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com...jarmo-kekalainen-gambles-by-standing-pat.html

MEGA FUCKED. Sounds to me like he tried to move some of those NMC contracts and found zero traction. Unless they get Seth Jones to take a first-year discount, I have no idea how they're going to sign him. Zero movement on buyouts. Zero movement on trades. Also, only one roster spot is opening up due to Borky Bourque becoming UFA so I have no clue how he thinks any sort of growth on the youth side of things is going to make an appreciable impact. Then again, "no clue" is the phrase of the year. They were flabbergasted that the team was so bad, so I guess they're counting on a bounceback year. Bold strategy, but I guess when you throw all your cards on the table like they have, they're going to let their hand ride.

Don't worry, by next year you won't have Torts and Jarmo.

Foggy

Oh and somebody should seriously offer sheet Jones. I think there much better odds than normal that Columbus wouldn't match. They'd have to buy someone out like Tyutin but I'm not convinced ownership would sign off on it. It's worth a try and it's not like Columbus is in a situation to return the favor any time soon because they're cap fucked for at least a few more years.

yyzjohn

Banned
Oh and somebody should seriously offer sheet Jones. I think there much better odds than normal that Columbus wouldn't match. They'd have to buy someone out like Tyutin but I'm not convinced ownership would sign off on it. It's worth a try and it's not like Columbus is in a situation to return the favor any time soon because they're cap fucked for at least a few more years.

Nobody offer sheets, some unwritten rule or something. Would make things exciting if GMs actually tried it.

Foggy

Yeah, I get that. I wonder though if GMs would reconsider since it's Columbus whose ownership hates to buy people out and will be screwed by the cap for a while.

It'd be amazing if Chayka did it just to fuck with the established unwritten rules.

Also, Dallas makes sense for cap room, defensive need, plus he's a Texas kid. If Lightning lose Stamkos it would make sense as well. Maybe Detroit but they might be able to pick up Stamkos.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I think this every year but I really wish more teams offer sheeted. It's a tool that exists and should be used... it would be so much fun.

imBask

Banned
I think this every year but I really wish more teams offer sheeted. It's a tool that exists and should be used... it would be so much fun.

again the NHL is full of conservative old farts, we need more ballsy guys like Benning

Seriously though I hate that he's getting fined, it's a legit strategy to go in the media and stir some shit to put some pressure on another GM.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
again the NHL is full of conservative old farts, we need more ballsy guys like Benning

Seriously though I hate that he's getting fined, it's a legit strategy to go in the media and stir some shit to put some pressure on another GM.

I think it's more of the Stamkos comment than the PK comment - which I personally think is justified fineable.

not like anyone in the NHL cares about fines anyway - if you can land Stamkos because of comments like that, would you pay 25k for it? of course you would :lol

imBask

Banned
I think it's more of the Stamkos comment than the PK comment - which I personally think is justified fineable.

not like anyone in the NHL cares about fines anyway - if you can land Stamkos because of comments like that, would you pay 25k for it? of course you would :lol

I agree that the Stamkos comment is easier to justify, but still... unless you actually catch him negociating before July 1st, let us enjoy a bit of chaos, chaos is fun

Bergy tried to offer Sheet Saad when he was in Chicago but got traded to Columbus last minute. We were so close in acquiring a top 6 forward but Chicago fucked is over. I would LOVE to get Seth Jones in Montreal

Foggy

Bergy tried to offer Sheet Saad when he was in Chicago but got traded to Columbus last minute. We were so close in acquiring a top 6 forward but Chicago fucked is over. I would LOVE to get Seth Jones in Montreal

6-7mil contract along with losing a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd too steep for Mtl?

Parch

Just me or is this one of the most loaded ufa classes in a while?
Not too shabby. There's a chance to significantly improve a team if they've got cap room. Of course there's always teams who don't want to spend the cap. There might even be a few UFA bargains for those who are patient.

You can get Mike Hoffbae this time

believe

:O. :) HOFFMAAAAAN

I traded for Hoffman in Eastside Hockey Manager and he scored 40 goals with us on a Hoffman Plekanec Andrighetto line

Cats targeting Eriksson
That's another choice I wouldn't mind having in MTL that or Lucic

6-7mil contract along with losing a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd too steep for Mtl?

If the draft isn't great next year then maybe MTL should consider this but I dunno. I think we will get a Defenceman in a trade.

Dear NHLGAF:

I cordially invite you to hop on board the Arizona Coyotes bandwagon.

With so much good guys who can use their sticks to put the flat rubber ball thing into the net, it's going to be an exciting season in the desert.

It's also cheaper for our friends from north of the border to buy a plane seat and a ticket than it is to buy one at your local rink, and now you can tack on games in Vegas and Tucson for even better value.

With the unbelievable draft that kid brought to the team, and one of the top systems in the game, now is the time to jump on that cactus magic train!

Buy your jersey today! All aboard!!!

Yours,

Cos

trifelife

I always liked Chris "Mono-Central" Higgins

Same, he was useful enough until he became injured/slow/old. Seemed like a good dude.

YVpFNM2.jpg

Pikma

Banned
Dear NHLGAF:

With so much good guys who can use their sticks to put the flat rubber ball thing into the net, it's going to be an exciting season in the desert.

It's also cheaper for our friends from north of the border to buy a plane seat and a ticket than it is to buy one at your local rink, and now you can tack on games in Vegas and Tucson for even better value.

With the unbelievable draft that kid brought to the team, and one of the top systems in the game, now is the time to jump on that cactus magic train!

Yours,

Cos
I don't know what's more desperate, this or the bargain prices for the Devils season tickets

zroid

Banned
Cherry's latest twitter rant is a real doozy....

Steven Stamkos will be a Leaf if the Leafs break the bank for him. 11 or 12 million say and Steven will be even better in Toronto than he was in Tampa believe it or not because everyone knows Ontario boys play better in Ontario than other players because of friends and family so says coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs Mike Babcock and so says American GM Brian Burke when he was with Toronto. That’s why Toronto went out and drafted in the first 3 rounds, a Russian, a Swede and 3 Americans. Mark Hunter, the draftee or whatever you want to call him, is from Ontario. His expertise is one of the reasons he was hired, he knows all the kids in Ontario. He was GM for the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League. Mark was going to be our hero, from Ontario and the 40,000 kids that play for the GHTL of Ontario were looking forward to this draft. We were looking forward to the draft so much and he drafts 3 Americans, a Swede and a Russian in the first 3 rounds but we will still cheer and support the Leafs. I have season seats and we will definitely cheer for the Leafs because it seems in Ontario we like to get kicked in the n-ts.

/dead

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
i laughed at the previous one where he said nylander and matthews were sweethearts and wouldn't be upset if they lost lol

i mean... let's be honest here... the softest of our first round picks in the last 5 years has been the ontario boy lol

zroid

Banned
i laughed at the previous one where he said nylander and matthews were sweethearts and wouldn't be upset if they lost lol

i mean... let's be honest here... the softest of our first round picks in the last 5 years has been the ontario boy lol

I could barely even parse that one :lol

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Apparently Okposo want's nothing to do with Montreal, which leaves us with basically Perron, or getting a winger through trade. One or two of Hudon / Lehkonen / Scherbak / Andrighetto should be ready for a top 6 spot this season.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Dear NHLGAF:

Yours,

Cos

All aboard the Coyote train

tumblr_nirgnnx2zx1sisonho1_500.gif

tumblr_n9dr6nsHIu1s02vreo2_500.gif

Apparently Okposo want's nothing to do with Montreal, which leaves us with basically Perron, or getting a winger through trade. One or two of Hudon / Lehkonen / Scherbak / Andrighetto should be ready for a top 6 spot this season.

Really? Got a link to that?

I figured he was going to go there for sure.

Top Bottom