• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Calder, I would like to introduce you to our prospect pool...

It is kindddddd of ridiculous... even when you take out our 3 elite forwards

so, who's in net?

and who's your first d pairing

Leafs goaltending situation is better than the Jets right now. Hellebuyck is a great prospect, but still just a prospect. Goalie prospects are voodoo.

Matthews / Marner / Nylander

So two guys who haven't played a game yet, and one who has played 22?

yeah. they're elite forward prospects.

I wasn't referring to roster. I was talking about our future stars.

Matthews and Nylander are basically going to be good NHL players almost guaranteed.

Marner not so sure, yet... but he crushed the CHL this year and he's kind of skilled

i'm very confused by this sequence of events

Always struck me as having an "old school" mentality. I could be totally wrong, and I'm not doubting the moves made so far, but it'll be interesting to see what happens over the next few years.

If anyone has an old school mentality it's Burkie, but I think Treliving and Conroy kinda balance him out. For instance Burkie wanted more truculent players again, big guys, possession guys, I think if he could build a team with 10 David backes' that would be his ideal, anyways, we drafted one guy over 6 foot this year, totally surprised me. These real grinder types, they haven't exactly been panning out IMO, and the roster at forward reflects that

Yawnier

Banned
I'm laughing right now but watch the Leafs sign Matt Martin or some shit

I think I said it yesterday but I wouldn't mind him if the AAV was under $2M and if there weren't already so many forwards competing for jobs next year.

But as it stands I can see him getting more money than that from some old school GM and there are going to be a bunch of marlies and cap dumps/vets competing for spots that idk.

MPW

weber is known to be a good leader, tough to play against and has a good shot

last time i checked he plays for team canada on a regular basis as well

do i wish habs got more in return? yes but don't think this is the worst trade of all time

Solo

Poor Weber too. From being on a Cup contender to landing on a rapidly worsening Montreal team and he's going to be under the microscope like no one else. Fans will crucify him the first mistake he makes.

To all Habs fans

8190.gif

Pacioretty is under so much pressure now rightly or wrongly.

I could give two rats asses about Pacioretty. He's a backstabber

Poor Weber too. From being on a Cup contender to landing on a rapidly worsening Montreal team and he's going to be under the microscope like no one else. Fans will crucify him the first mistake he makes.

Weber is going to suck in a few years. Everyone knows it, I know it, you know it too. I never saw Shea Weber as a Defenceman I would want on this team. He's past his prime and likely to never win a Norris. I'll be glad when he makes a mistake and I'll go PK wouldn't have made that. Mistake every time.

He Sucks Solo. He Sucks.

I rather have OEL or Burns

imBask

Banned
There's a lot of exageration going on here, I see people comparing this trade to Gomez for McDonut.

This is fine

not perfect, not great, still fine

2017 cup winner Shea Weber baybeee

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Leafs fans laugh at Edmonton, yet they can't see they're heading in the exact same direction

we have andersen now. we have time to fix our goaltending, prospect wise. (have bibeau and sparks as well as adding woll)

Our top 4 D if nothing changes via UFA will be Rielly - Marincin, Gardiner - Zaitsev. Zaitsev may be good, he may be bad. We don't know.

Leafs added a couple more D in this last draft (JD Greenway, who is huge and a GOOD skater... and Mattinen), and still have Carrick, Valiev, Dermott, Lindgren, Loov and Nielsen in our pool. Valiev/Carrick and Loov are basically all on the NHL ready cusp... Dermott and Nielsen are so far the most promising

Leafs are nothing like Oilers.

imBask

Banned
I could give two rats asses about Pacioretty. He's a backstabber

Weber is going to suck in a few years. Everyone knows it, I know it, you know it too. I never saw Shea Weber as a Defenceman I would want on this team. He's past his prime and likely to never win a Norris.

He Sucks Solo. He Sucks.

I rather have OEL or Burns

Creeper you're supposed to be the positive one. Weber is dope and he's an elite dman

Player for player I don't think Subban for Weber is that terrible - it's certainly no Hall for Larsson. But it's yet another misstep in the regime that continues to prioritise the wrong aspects in our evolving sport.

imBask

Banned
we have andersen now. we have time to fix our goaltending, prospect wise. (have bibeau and sparks as well as adding woll)

Our top 4 D if nothing changes via UFA will be Rielly - Marincin, Gardiner - Zaitsev. Zaitsev may be good, he may be bad. We don't know.

Leafs added a couple more D in this last draft (JD Greenway, who is huge and a GOOD skater... and Mattinen), and still have Carrick, Valiev, Dermott, Lindgren, Loov and Nielsen in our pool. Valiev/Carrick and Loov are basically all on the NHL ready cusp... Dermott and Nielsen are so far the most promising

Leafs are nothing like Oilers.

the thing is, those are all promises and maybes. Chances are MOST of them won't pan out

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Creeper you're supposed to be the positive one. Weber is dope and he's an elite dman

Elite?

He's been on the decline. I've got nothing against Weber, and I hope he's not unfairly criticised when all of the blame should be put on Bergevin, but I don't even wish the team success at this point. All that does is further prove to Bergevin that he's doing the right thing.

I need to see the 18 wheeler veer off the cliff. I need to see Therrien burned at the stake(figuratively) as a start. I need to see doubt in Bergevin's eyes when his team is complete shit and he's gone in the wrong direction.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
There's a lot of exageration going on here, I see people comparing this trade to Gomez for McDonut
It's worse, Subban will be a top D man in the league for a decade, Weber is 31 and already declining and still has 10 years on his contract. The only way this trade is redeemed is if we win a cup in the next 2 years which I don't see happening now that PK is gone, he was on the ice for 58% of Habs goals this seaso. PK drove our offense and possession, Weber has a great shot but doesn't move the puck or make plays like him.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Elite?

He's been on the decline. I've got nothing against Weber, and I hope he's not unfairly criticised when all of the blame should be put on Bergevin, but I don't even wish the team success at this point. All that does is further prove to Bergevin that he's doing the right thing.

I need to see the 18 wheeler veer off the cliff. I need to see Therrien burned at the stake(figuratively) as a start. I need to see doubt in Bergevin's eyes when his team is complete shit and he's gone in the wrong direction.

zroid

Banned
There's a lot of exageration going on here, I see people comparing this trade to Gomez for McDonut.

Sorry man, this trade is far less defensible than the Gomez trade

McDonagh was still a prospect at the time, and a mid 1st round pick, far from a sure thing.

The only thing this trade tells us is that Bergevin is a bad talent evaluator, and prioritizing his foxhole with Therrien. There is really zero upside here.

Marvie_3

Banned
Havent read the last few pages but holy shit.

Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool habs

Lol oilers

Loooooooooooooooooool habs

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It's worse, Subban will be a top D man in the league for a decade, Weber is 31 and already declining and still has 10 years on his contract. The only way this trade is redeemed is if we win a cup in the next 2 years which I don't see happening now that PK is gone, he was on the ice for 58% of Habs goals this seaso. PK drove our offense and possession, Weber has a great shot but doesn't move the puck or make plays like him.

But Gord Miller told me PK isn't even in the top 15 D in the league.

Imbask. I'm just being real here.

Weber is slowly phasing out of being elite. He's not going to be good in a few years. He's on a decline like Markov. He might be a nice guy but he means nothing to me.

If you can't tell I'm really bitter.

Still crazy to me. All of the media and exposure "issues" in MTL PK is one of the very few who not only can take it, but thrives in it. I guess tho plain and cookie cutter is more important than someone who can excite people.

imBask

Banned
Elite?

Sorry man, this trade is far less defensible than the Gomez trade

McDonagh was still a prospect at the time, and a mid 1st round pick, far from a sure thing.

The only thing this trade tells us is that Bergevin is a bad talent evaluator, and prioritizing his foxhole with Therrien. There is really zero upside here.

He's been almost on par with Subban in terms of points over the past few years, he's in the same ballpark every year in terms of production, and he's solid defensively

I don't think he's done at all. He's a leader and that's what we need right now. I've been advocating for going all in RIGHT NOW because the window ends when Price signs a $10M deal and we can't afford anyone else, so i'd be pretty hypocritical to say i'm not ok with that move. I think we're in a better position to win a cup with Weber than we were with Subban inside of that small window, after that it'll be too late with or without Subban and the boat will sink no matter what, so i'll hang on to captain Weber and sink with him

This is is, we're going all in and if we fail we'll do like the rest of them and tank for a couple of years, that is the only way out with or without Subban

Nashville just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about hockey (I'm an expert), but grit and rispek are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in the NFL where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you take on someone who doesn't play the white way, you bring disrispek to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that disrispek is repentance.

What this means is the Nashville fans, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase any tickets for any games, nor will they purchase any merch. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nashville has alienated the entire market with this move.

Perds, publicly apologize and rescind this trade or you can kiss your business goodbye.

gg smashville take care of subby :')

MPW

Imbask. I'm just being real here.

Weber is slowly phasing out of being elite. He's not going to be good in a few years. He's on a decline like Markov. He might be a nice guy but he means nothing to me.

so habs got a 2-3 year window to justify this trade by winning a cup or at least make it to the finals

i am hoping for for a miracle or two on July 1

and if habs do nothing on July 1 (won't be the first time), i'll join you guys on team negativity

DopeyFish

the thing is, those are all promises and maybes. Chances are MOST of them won't pan out

Subban was a promise and a maybe a long time ago, too. I have a lot more faith in Leafs drafting and prospect procurement than Edmonton. Especially since we have sooo many prospects about to hit the NHL. About 10, actually. We have never seen at any point in our franchise history as many prospects that are NHL ready as we do now.

When your pool is so deep that you have a WHL defenseman hit 70 points at 19 and not be in your top 10 prospects or a player who was the OHL leading scorer, OHL MVP, AHL rookie leading scorer and not be in your top 5... That is kind of amazing.

With that said, they could all bust. But I highly highly doubt it. In early 2014 our prospect pool was considered the worst in hockey. Nowadays it is first by a considerable margin.

Leafs are not messing around. Oilers lived and ultimately died by their first round picks. How many of their prospects acquired outside of the 1st round of the draft actually became NHL regulars?

imBask

Banned
Subban was a promise and a maybe a long time ago, too. I have a lot more faith in Leafs drafting and prospect procurement than Edmonton. Especially since we have sooo many prospects about to hit the NHL. About 10, actually. We have never seen at any point in our franchise history as many prospects that are NHL ready as we do now.

When your pool is so deep that you have a WHL defenseman hit 70 points at 19 and not be in your top 10 prospects or a player who was the OHL leading scorer, OHL MVP, AHL rookie leading scorer and not be in your top 5... That is kind of amazing.

With that said, they could all bust. But I highly highly doubt it. In early 2014 our prospect pool was considered the worst in hockey. Nowadays it is first by a considerable margin.

Leafs are not messing around. Oilers lived and ultimately died by their first round picks. How many of their prospects acquired outside of the 1st round of the draft actually became NHL regulars?

It's frustrating because I can't compare any of what your saying with us, since Timmins is such a trashpickle

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
so habs got a 2-3 year window to justify this trade by winning a cup or at least make it to the finals

i am hoping for for a miracle or two on July 1

and if habs do nothing on July 1 (won't be the first time), i'll join you guys on team negativity

He'll probably sign Andrew Ladd because he's got a ton of character, and I'm fine with Andrew Ladd in the top 6, but what other options does he have?

Plus they'll probably pay him 6 million.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
But Gord Miller told me PK isn't even in the top 15 D in the league.
Miller is one of my favourite commentators but hearing him on the radio today really killed my vibe.

Still crazy to me. All of the media and exposure "issues" in MTL PK is one of the very few who not only can take it, but thrives in it. I guess tho plain and cookie cutter is more important than someone who can excite people.
That's what kills me the most, he was born to play here, he should have have his number retired here. He had the talent and personally to back it up, Bergevin really destroyed any chance he had at leaving a positive legacy.

Montresor

BROFIST! I think the Maple Leafs out of all current Canadian teams are the most likely to win a Cup within the next 5 years.

Cake Boss

Banned
weber is known to be a good leader, tough to play against and has a good shot

last time i checked he plays for team canada on a regular basis as well

do i wish habs got more in return? yes but don't think this is the worst trade of all time

Yeah all that leadership has helped Nashville win a cup, oh and don't forget the leadership he showed to his teammates where he signed an offer sheet to play for another team. The leadership of slamming Zetterberg head against the wall.

LEADERSHIP!!

I didn't know Thierrien posted here.

And lol at winning the cup in 2-3 years, at least leafs fans aren't this delusional. Your best fucking skater just said that now he feels like he's closer to the Stanley cup with his new team than he was before. You just finished in the bottom10, and you depend your whole record on a single roster player.

DopeyFish

It's frustrating because I can't compare any of what your saying with us, since Timmins is such a trashpickle

Well... A lot of things had to go very right for us. Our team had to commit to a complete rebuild. Hunter's picks haven't even matured to the point of being called NHL ready outside of our 1st rounders, too. So my excitement may be misplaced. We could be as bad as the oilers in the end, but so far last years picks have been great.

Also here is oilers draft history http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005632.html

Probably should call it a prospect morgue

Yeah all that leadership has helped Nashville win a cup, oh and don't forget the leadership he showed to his teammates where he signed an offer sheet to play for another team. The leadership of slamming Zetterberg head against the wall.

LEADERSHIP!!

I didn't know Thierrien posted here.

Losing teams have poor leadership and winning teams have good leadership!

Foggy

Leadership is a silly thing to rest your head on, BUT Montreal could really use a veteran presence like him. There's really no excuse for MTL to be that spectacularly bad and impotent after Price got injured. Problem is you can have all kinds of Weber and Shaw grit, but it means nothing without high end talent. And frankly, does any fan of MTL have an iota of confidence that Bergevin can evaluate and find that talent?

imBask

Banned
And lol at winning the cup in 2-3 years, at least leafs fans aren't this delusional. Your best fucking skater just said that now he feels like he's closer to the Stanley cup with his new team than he was before. You just finished in the bottom10, and you depend your whole record on a single roster player.

This season was the definition of a fluke, following 3 solid season including one conference final. The best player in the world only played 12 games, please, of course it's going to hurt us

Leadership is a silly thing to rest your head on, BUT Montreal could really use a veteran presence like him. There's really no excuse for MTL to be that spectacularly bad and impotent after Price got injured. Problem is you can have all kinds of Weber and Shaw grit, but it means nothing without high end talent. And frankly, does any fan of MTL have an iota of confidence that Bergevin can evaluate and find that talent?

no, but he might get lucky on friday, and if he doesn't then we'll sink and i'm ready to accept that

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
If you're Bergevin, aren't you at all curious why Poile is calling you about trading the captain of his team, and supposed "best" defenceman straight up for your defenceman?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
To me this just shows that we have a coaching problem. PK's "problems" would be manageable with the right coach in place, but PK didn't feel like it was worth bending over even more, didn't feel like he was really getting respek for what he was doing. If some players had a problem with PK, that was more a problem on their end than his. Habs need to do away with old school coaches. This trade isn't a win, and I'm not even mentioning how much PK was bringing to the organization itself.

edit: Habs winning the cup in 2-3 years? Lol. Too reliant on Price.

Cake Boss

Banned
Cup contenders can afford to lose their best players and not crash as hard as the Habs did. Yeah you should be worst without him but to call that just a fluke then you are setting up yourself for disappointment. Better constructed teams can withhold the loss of their #1 goalie, Pittsburgh did. And if you can't maybe you aren't as well constructed as you think you are.

imBask

Banned
It wasn't all Price. He was a big part of it, but other things happened

Gallagher got hurt
Petry got hurt
Pacioretty died inside
Semin flopped
Desharnais was given a small #1 line tryout for about 40 games
Galchenyuk woke up too late

everything snowballed out of Price's injury and it shouldn't have, but Condon did a decent job. Players in front of him played the way they used to play in front of Price when Price was kinda shaky, back in the Halak days

Top Bottom