• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

Cake Boss

Banned
You just ain't winning the cup in 2-3 years with that forward group that can't score, with that coach and a declining #1 dman with an even more declining #2 dman. And with an overrated GM that can't seem to get dynamic young talent in the roster.

The more you accept this the easier days like this will be for you.

imBask

Banned
i'm aware of the missing pieces. Although I think the defense is pretty damn good for the next 2-3 years with Weber, we just need to trade everything else for anyone not named Pacioretty

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe what I'm seeing.

Myself, Red, Schuey and Creeper as the pessimists, and imbask as the optimist.

Surely I'll wake up from this nightmare.

Solo

In next summer's edition of Marc BargainBin, we watch as Marc screws the pooch on AGally's next contract and loses him, and coming summer 2018, watch with bated breath as Carey Price demands a dump truck of cash or else he bails on this cluster fuck of a franchise! Stay tuned! Same Habs time, same Habs channel!

Cake Boss

Banned
i'm aware of the missing pieces. Although I think the defense is pretty damn good for the next 2-3 years with Weber, we just need to trade everything else for anyone not named Pacioretty

Yeah cup contenders tend to overall their entire team 2 years right before they win it all.

imBask

Banned

nah, you got it all wrong

we're most likely fucked, but eventhough Subban will be a better player in the long run, I just gave up on that "long run" a while ago and I think y'all should do the same.

Yeah cup contenders tend to overall their entire team 2 years right before they win it all.

they don't, but that's the only way we can make it. Our rebuild is already fucked and already was before Subban was traded

Galchenyuk is not a #1 center and never will be
Gallagher is not a #1 winger and never will be
Pacioretty will never be a top scorer in this league, and will never be a great captain
none of our prospects are top 6 potential, I don't care what red says

trade it all, go all in, burn it down if it fails, it's fine.

Parch

I like Weber. He's certainly not washed up and the deal is going to look fair enough for awhile, but in 3 or 4 years this is going to look very bad for Montreal. Short term fine. Long term disastrous.

Solo

That's the sad thing - Habs have fucking NO ONE waiting in the wings that is going to step into the NHL any time soon and make a difference in their system. Fucking no one. Our prospect pool is dogs hit.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
feel good imbask

a rumor is floating around now that the oilers may trade RNH for another defenseman

We'll gladly let Edmonton take the humon pylon Jonathan Ericsson off our hands.

In 20 years, my kids will ask "who is Shea Weber"? And I'll say just some nobody we traded for and who we traded was a HHOF Defenceman.

Fuck Shea Weber

Fuck Therrien

Fuck everything.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
nah, you got it all wrong

we're most likely fucked, but eventhough Subban will be a better player in the long run, I just gave up on that "long run" a while ago and I think y'all should do the same.

they don't, but that's the only way we can make it. Our rebuild is already fucked and already was before Subban was traded

Galchenyuk is not a #1 center and never will be
Gallagher is not a #1 winger and never will be
Pacioretty will never be a top scorer in this league, and will never be a great captain
none of our prospects are top 6 potential, I don't care what red says

trade it all, go all in, burn it down if it fails, it's fine.

Dude what, we'll see what AGally does this season, but Gallagher is definitely a first line winger, and Pacioretty has already proven to be a top goal scorer in this league. Not to mention Subban is already the better player now, forget long term.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
You know it's a bad trade because every fucking fossil reporter in the league keeps using "Well Weber has been on 16 Olympic teams and won a million medals and I'm a fucking idiot" arguments as to why the Habs won this trade.

This trade is the most striking line in the sand between old school guys and analytics I think I've ever seen. Shit's sad, fucking Gord Miller hesitating to say Subban is better than Bouwmeester will haunt me to my grave.

That's the sad thing - Habs have fucking NO ONE waiting in the wings that is going to step into the NHL any time soon and make a difference in their system. Fucking no one. Our prospect pool is dogs hit.
You're wrong on this, we do have good guys lined up.

zroid

Banned
2a8ce95a72a646b887df3c54639611e6.png

This is way too savage

imBask

Banned
Dude what, we'll see what AGally does this season, but Gallagher is definitely a first line winger, and Pacioretty has already proven to be a top goal scorer in this league. Not to mention Subban is already the better player now, forget long term.

They're not. They never will, they're not Malkin or Crosby or Toews or Kane or Kopitar, they're "good enough"

you need to tank hard to rebuild, you can't rebuild with fucking 14th overall every year, trade everyone and every pick, burn out in a bright flash instead of going the Canucks route

Okay if Weber doesn't work here just burn everything down and start fresh. Montreal needs to tank harder than Toronto and Edmonton Combined.

We need to head back to the dark ages of late 90s- early 2000s Habs

imBask

Banned
We won't tank this year because of Price.

of course we won't, we're not rebuilding. I'm saying the train TO the tank factory is already at full speed and there are no brakes, So we might as well just go balls deep right now and do all the crazy shit we never do

Went from cup in 2-3 years to Burn everything and sell everything in 5 minutes.

The psyche of habs fans is fragile right now.

I said that was the plan and we have a slight chance, but it's more like a 99% chance of everything burning down in a flash

Parch

Oilers had to do something. Unless you've got proof that there was a better defenseman available for Hall, then it's simply Oiler's management deciding to accept the best offer or not.

It's a pretty big desperation situation, but more years of accomplishing nothing is unacceptable. I know it's not all on him, but Hall was leading this team nowhere and there are other wingers to try and replace his offense. Sucks giving up so much for some defensive potential, but desperate times, desperate measures. Better than doing nothing and putting up with more of the same.

Red_Man

Habs social media right now is such a tire fire and the replies are amazing

The Gally's and Pacioretty are definitely first line players
Habs fans are the fucking worst

22 year old center who scores 30 goals isn't a 1st line player

I guess we deserve this Subban trade

zroid

Banned
Apparently Kessel confirmed that he's bringing the Cup to Toronto

if he doesn't take a photo with it in front of a hot dog stand I'm gonna be pissed

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Tippett confirms the coyotes were thirsty for some matthews

“We tried every different angle, remotely, we could,” he said of making a trade. “That’s right to the weekend before the draft — both John Chayka and I took Auston for lunch and got to know him a little better, but there was really nothing.

“Toronto had the plan in place and they were going to stick with their plan and take the No. 1 pick. If I was sitting on Toronto’s side I wouldn’t blame them. He’s going to be a fantastic player. Toronto just never, ever entertained the fact of moving him at all, and you have to respect that. As much as we would have liked to have him in Arizona, being an Arizona kid and a great player, it just was not something that Toronto would ever consider doing and a lot of the rumors get started out there, but there was never any traction to it, Toronto was very firm at the start and never changed their course."

Cake Boss

Banned
I really want to know how many season ticket holders cancelled their tickets after this trade. Would be really interesting to see.

They will still sell out tho.

imBask

Banned
Habs social media right now is such a tire fire and the replies are amazing

Habs fans are the fucking worst

22 year old center who scores 30 goals isn't a 1st line player

I guess we deserve this Subban trade

he also had 16 of those in 8 games (8 x 2goals), and 8 of those were scored in the span of 8 days (4 x 2goals). Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. He was sleeping for a while

Red_Man

he also had 16 of those in 8 games, and 8 of those were scored in the span of 8 days (4 x 2goals). Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. He was sleeping for a while
And by sleeping you mean actually being played for more then 18 minutes a game and getting top quality line mates & PP minutes. He's always played at a high rate of PPM, the issue was dumb fuck Hockey Savant playing him at third line minutes with Lars Eller and Paul Byron all season until his alter boy was injured and he had no choice.

imBask

Banned
And by sleeping you mean actually being played for more then 18 minutes a game and getting top quality line mates & PP minutes. He's always played at a high rate of PPM, the issue was dumb fuck Hockey Savant playing him at third line minutes with Lars Eller and Paul Byron all season until his alter boy was injured and he had no choice.

after those 8 goals in 8 days, he went 10 games without a goal, you can't blame the coach for everything

EDIT wait nevermind he scored like 1 or 2 goal somewhere in the middle there I think, in the span of a month and a half

Red_Man

after those 8 goals in 8 days, he went 10 games without a goal, you can't blame the coach for everything

wait nevermind he scored like 1 or 2 goal somewhere in the middle there I think, in the span of a month and a half
Scorers are almost never consistent, if you think 30 goals at 22 years old, while playing 3/4 of the season as a grinder is a fluke I don't know what to say.

Gallagher is not a first line winger, no matter how much you wanna believe it
Gallagher was on pace for 30 goals in a healthy season and is a possession beast, he's absolutely a first liner. He only played 53 games last year, had 19 goals and 40 points.

imBask

Banned
Scorers are almost never consistent, if you think 30 goals at 22 years old, while playing 3/4 of the season as a grinder is a fluke I don't know what to say.

I'm being a little hard on him right now but I thought he was really good near the end of the season, and he almost convinced me. Remember how bad I used to hate him?

although i'm not blind and I don't think he's a contender caliber first centerman, and if he ever ends up proving me wrong it'll be in a couple of years AKA too late and we'll be in the middle of the worst dumpster fire of our history

Cake Boss

Banned
@renlavoietva: Predators made the only "serious" offer for PK Subban. No surprise, Canucks made one, but it was rejected. Not enough on the table.

Lol apparently the Vancouver offer of Tanev, Juelovi and Horvat isn't serious.

Red_Man

"I will not go into detail why we think we are a better team," Bergevin said, "but we feel we are a better team."
What the fuck does that even mean?

... there was no such offer

and if there was I'll go shoot Benning myself
It was rumoured to be Tanev + 5th overall + Horvat and the main focus was for the 5th overall because Bergevin had a hard on for PLD

zroid

Banned
Gallagher is not a first line winger, no matter how much you wanna believe it

He absolutely is. In terms of scoring he's a low-end first liner, and in terms of possession impact he's mid to high-end. Overall, he's a first liner any way you slice it.

Top Bottom