• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

Foggy

Problem is lessened a bit because by the time the expansion draft happens, Vanek will be done with us. Either through the buyout this summer or because his contract expires after next year.

Still have Suter, Parise, Koivu, and Pominville but that isn't terrible.

Yeah, more just to highlight the disparity of hilariously bad NMC's given the new expansion lottery situation. Columbus is in a league of its own.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Umberger expects to be bought out, so the Flyers only NMC a year from now will be Giroux.

Good, though I'm pretty sure that was the plan from the start and why they traded Hartsy.

MEANWHILE

Tom Wilson was only fined $2,403.67. No suspension.

What a joke.

Foggy

What are the rules for protecting young players r prospects? Is there a draft or signing cutoff?

2 year pros are exempt so guys like Eichel and McDavid don't have to be protected. As for how many games played mean you're a pro, I'm unsure.

Syrinx

2 year pros are exempt so guys like Eichel and McDavid don't have to be protected. As for how many games played mean you're a pro, I'm unsure.

Sp the Hurricanes wouldn't have to protect Hanifin, Slavin, or Pesce since they were all on college before this year?

That's pretty sweet.

Cake Boss

Banned
50-win seasons
The most 50-win seasons as a head coach in NHL history

Scotty Bowman 8
Bruce Boudreau 4*
Mike Babcock 4

*2 each with Capitals and Ducks
(Source: Elias Sports Bureau)

In his four Game 7 losses with Anaheim, Bruce Boudreau's goalies had a combined .852 save percentage. So yeah, maybe it's not all his fault.

Bad coach imo

Parch

The Ducks had a strange year. Considered a top contender but had a terrible start and they never really got their shit together until March. I can see how that could be blamed on the coach, but there's still a lot of teams that would be happy with the Ducks situation.

Boudreau won't be out of work for long.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It's a results driven business. It doesn't matter how awesome the ride was if you keep crashing into a wall (the same wall) at the end of it every time.*

Bad coach imo
The Ducks shouldn't have even played in any of those Game 7s in the first place.

*he says smugly, having already made the case why his head coach who has lost Stanley Cup Final and Eastern Conference Final Game 7s on home ice is totally awesome and deserves his job

I mean, yeah, you can point out how his goalies play terribly in G7, and how Getzlaf and Perry haven't been big postseason performers either. But something had to give, and the captain and assistant making $8M+ is a lot harder to replace than the coach.

We could extend the same reasoning to San Jose (Thornton and Marleau unable to get it done in the playoffs) and Washington (Ovechkin has never gotten past the second round). And yeah, someone brought up Babcock with his one Cup. One team wins the Cup every year. Heck, even Marvie isn't a fan of Quenneville.

But unless you're in the business of blowing up your core and trading away your best players, the coach is the easiest and most feasible method of change.

It's a results driven business. It doesn't matter how awesome the ride was if you keep crashing into a wall (the same wall) at the end of it every time.

And part of reason why the current salary cap system sucks. This is pretty much the only option teams have, unless they want to go full reset and get fleeced in a trade (ie, Kessel).

imBask

Banned
It's a results driven business.

marc-bergevin-michel-therrien.jpg

Lol this. Post Babcock's record while your at it too since 2009.

Not to mention his goalies have been a joke in critical games.

Quenville wasn't considered a winner until 11 years into his career when he was gifted the Blackhawks team full of hall of famers.

We need to acquire some Hall of Famers. What can we get for a low 20s 1st rounder? I'll throw in Sekac too

Socreges

Banned
Is Vancouver a possibility? I doubt they're married to Willie. Other than Snes, Flames and Avs might have the most to gain by hiring Bruce but feels like they are happy with their coaching situations.
Vancouver is not a possibility. Willie has at least another year, regardless of how the team does.

Silexx

Andy's playoff SV% has been pretty good so far in his career.

For sure, but he's getting older and everyone is waiting for him to start the obvious slide.

Edit: There's also the possibility of injury, which is why I was including Hammond in there. The Senators' goaltending has certainly been mostly consistent throughout the years, but it hasn't been without flaws and setbacks.

Vancouver is not a possibility. Willie has at least another year, regardless of how the team does.

Yes. I can see Willie being fired eventually, but the earliest would be say January when the team is behind the Oilers in the standings and Busthews hasn't scored in 20 games.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
dermott is going to the marlies too

damn marlies are becoming so stacked... if they make the finals, there's a chance they get marner too

Just shoot me now. The offseason is already starting off with a bang with the destruction of what was going to be a sweet looking new arena into a giant Little Caesars guy.

Now we want to sign Radulov?

Yeah, just shoot me.

Yawnier

Banned
On Thursday, multiple sources said Fletcher would reach out to Carlyle for an interview. Fletcher and Carlyle worked together in Anaheim. Carlyle, a former Norris Trophy winner, coached the Ducks to a Stanley Cup in 2007 and ranks 41st in NHL history with 364 wins in 704 games over 10 seasons with Anaheim and Toronto.

kevin_wine_by_fire.gif

zroid

Banned
well at least you know you won't trade for Kessel if you have Carlyle, so that's a plus
Why...? Carlyle played Kessel a ton of minutes against tough competition. By all indications he liked Kessel too much, because he didn't utilize him properly.

Top Bottom