• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

Yawnier

Banned
If Zaitsev turns out to be decent then great, he'll prob get paid next summer. If not it's only a one year ELC so he could go back to Russia or whatever.

Montresor

Zaitsev, Matthews, and Stamkos signings, coupled with the sweetheart deals that Kadri and Rielly signed, could make this an extremely successful offseason. Add in that Nylander and Marner can make the team out of this year's training camp and we could pretend like they are brand new off season acquisitions and artificially inflate the success of the Leafs' offseason.

/waits for imbask's reply

Curufinwe

Happy for Leafs fans, and also for myself since I had to put up with a know-it-all know-nothing on HFB insisting that all the strong rumors about Zaitsev going to the Leafs shouldn't be taken seriously.

imBask

Banned
Zaitsev, Matthews, and Stamkos signings, coupled with the sweetheart deals that Kadri and Rielly signed, could make this an extremely successful offseason. Add in that Nylander and Marner can make the team out of this year's training camp and we could pretend like they are brand new off season acquisitions and artificially inflate the success of the Leafs' offseason.

/waits for imbask's reply

who's your top defensive pairing?

and I don't see anyone wearing big pads in that list of players, is this Marner guy a goalie?

eyeless

:) good torrona russian kid zaitsev
article_92dd253f-04c3-4f96-8bca-97265692a908.jpg

#1 dman "best player outside the NHL I swear" Zaitsev
don't be ridiculous

that's matthews m8

imBask

Banned
Other teams don't need the worlds best goalie to win hockey games ;)

tbh i'm Price #1 fan, but I agree that you don't need a top 3 goalie to win a cup these days. Goalies just can't carry a team to victory the way Brodeur did anymore... I'm seriously wondering if we should keep Price if he asks 10M+, but who's going to replace him

although there's a pretty big gap between "an alright goalie" and that Bernier/Sparks duo

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
tbh i'm Price #1 fan, but I agree that you don't need a top 3 goalie to win a cup these days. Goalies just can't carry a team to victory the way Brodeur did anymore... I'm seriously wondering if we should keep Price if he asks 10M+, but who's going to replace him

although there's a pretty big gap between "alright" and that Bernier/Sparks duo

i'm just hoping reimer comes back

i want to see him get his redemption

tbh i'm Price #1 fan, but I agree that you don't need a top 3 goalie to win a cup these days. Goalies just can't carry a team to victory the way Brodeur did anymore...

although there's a pretty big gap between "alright" and that Bernier/Sparks duo

Damn you and your entirely reasonable response.

Tbh I have no idea what the Leafs plan on doing about goaltending or defence. D isn't as bad as goal, but we need to turn some attention there now.

imBask

Banned

Tbh I have no idea what the Leafs plan on doing about goaltending or defence. D isn't as bad as goal, but we need to turn some attention there now.

Goalies are weird. Again, the stupid Hawks got it right. They have a slightly below average goalie that doesn't cost too much, and does the job perfectly with a good team in front of him

STUPID HAWKS

zroid

Banned
Bernier is league average for his career. Expecting him to be the worst goalie in the NHL again next year is not reasonable. They should be looking to upgrade long term, but barring health, they will be OK in goal for 2016-17 at least.

Goalies are weird. Again, the stupid Hawks got it right. They have a slightly below average goalie that doesn't cost too much, and does the job perfectly with a good team in front of him

STUPID HAWKS

Even just how wonky goalies can be year to year. It must just drive GMs to drink when they give out multi year contracts to goalies.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Bernier is league average for his career. Expecting him to be the worst goalie in the NHL again next year is not reasonable. They should be looking to upgrade long term, but barring health, they will be OK in goal for 2016-17 at least.

i always saw him as being a very good goalie when he's given a normal workload because he's a percentages goalie.

but i have no explanation for that absolute horrid last year as we were actually kind of good defensively o_O

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

All Bernier needs to do is play league average or above. He's full capable of it and he did so at the end of the season, but he's simply inconsistent.

I've said before that we won't get a big name goalie, just an average to above average one like the Wings had with Vernon and Osgoode.

D is certainly a trouble spot and despite the hype, I'm expecting to see an adjustment period for Zaitsev, but Rielly is a first pairing player and Gardiner is a great 2/3 option. We still got Nielsen, Dermott, and Carrick though and maybe we can somehow get McAvoy this draft too (I highly doubt this).

zroid

Banned
i always saw him as being a very good goalie when he's given a normal workload because he's a percentages goalie.

but i have no explanation for that absolute horrid last year as we were actually kind of good defensively o_O
Goalies are weird, man. His 1st season with the Leafs was really strong, 3rd season was a train wreck like we haven't seen since Toskala. I wonder if his brutal season happened in 2013-14, what would the Leafs have done differently? Reimer would certainly have been given more opportunity, maybe he'd have been signed long term. Who knows.

Cake Boss

Banned
its basically one giant leafs circle jerk with imbask being left out with his mouth and tongue out trying to catch the flying cum shots.

Brinbe

Excellent news! D is coming along nicely. Reilly/Gardiner and now Zaitsev is more than whatever the fuck Edmonton has. We just need that real workhorse to solidify the grouping. Goaltending is an obvious concern, but you draft or trade for that guy when the push to contend actually happens. Which is not yet, obviously. There's no pressure to succeed at all this season. Lord knows we have the picks/prospects to get someone. Maybe when the expansion draft comes around.

Cake Boss

Banned
I was wondering, how many cups do the leafs win during Mathews career? And also does he have a falling out with the organization afterwards like Sundae? Also wouldn't you rather have your franchise player the captain instead of the 60point winger in Stamkos?

gaming_noob

2012 Oilers:
Wins lottery - drafts Nail Yakupov
Signs highly sought after Justin Schultz

2016 Leafs:
Wins lottery - drafts Auston Matthews
Signs highly sought after Zaitsev

Too many similarities...fuck..!

I was wondering, how many cups do the leafs win during Mathews career? And also does he have a falling out with the organization afterwards like Sundae? Also wouldn't you rather have your franchise player the captain instead of the 60point winger in Stamkos?

Three, no, and yes.

The rest of Off-Season NHL GAF needs to give us a few days to get this out of our system. I mean, it was only back in 2013/14 when the Leafs best forward prospects were Connor Brown and Freddie Gauthier.

Top Bottom