• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

zroid

Banned
Been reading on these draft eligible kids.

Everyone is torn on Pierre Luc Dubois, some compare him to Jamie Benn, and others just say hes going to be a Couturier.
don't think either one of those comparables should be disappointing. Coots is a legit Selke candidate.

imBask

Banned
Been reading on these draft eligible kids.

Everyone is torn on Pierre Luc Dubois, some compare him to Jamie Benn, and others just say hes going to be a Couturier.

if it's any indication : he's from around here and the french medias aren't all over him the way they usually are with quebecois....

Cake Boss

Banned
don't think either one of those comparables should be disappointing. Coots is a legit Selke candidate.

Oh for sure, I am a big coots fan. But I guess with a 4-5th overall pick you would hope you are picking more of a point producer other than an elite defensive skill set but with 30-40 points production.

Socreges

Banned
Oh for sure, I am a big coots fan. But I guess with a 4-5th overall pick you would hope you are picking more of a point producer other than an elite defensive skill set but with 30-40 points production.
I dunno. In this draft, I might prefer to take the gamble on Dubois (BPA) than try out one of the defensemen that haven't really set themselves apart. That said I think the Oilers will take him.

And if he's gone at #4, Canucks should trade down to a team that desperately wants someone at #5. If that team exists. Because one of Chychrun, Sergachev and Juolevi will be available at #5-11 and who the fuck knows what you're getting.

Cake Boss

Banned
I went back an looked at the past 5 drafts, it seems like only 2-3 dman get picked in the top 10. Other than 2012 where it was heavy on dman.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I went back an looked at the past 5 drafts, it seems like only 2-3 dman get picked in the top 10. Other than 2012 where it was heavy on dman.
Sergachev, Chychrun, Juolevi, and McAvoy don't seem like franchise defensemen.

Still...
Sergachev OHL Outstanding D of the year
Chychrun most scouts ranked as top D this year
Juolevi winning gold with Finland and part of the Knights
McAvoy is a RHD which automatically garners interest.

Cake Boss

Banned
Sergachev, Chychrun, Juolevi, and McAvoy don't seem like franchise defensemen.

Still...
Sergachev OHL Outstanding D of the year
Chychrun most scouts ranked as top D this year
Juolevi winning gold with Finland and part of the Knights
McAvoy is a RHD which automatically garners interest.

I disagree with this. Dman are probably the hardest to scout, assess and predict. No one thought Karlsson would have developed as a franchise dman getting picked at #15, or McDonagh at 12th or Subban and Keith in the 2nd round.

I thought Juolevi looked as impressive as the other top 2 fins at juniors and reminded me a lot of Norrisson with his skating ability, I think he can develop as a franchise dman but who knows. Not sure about Sergachev tho I haven't seen him yet.

Parch

When we "celebrate" 50 years without a Stanley Cup for the Leafs in 2017 things will come back down to earth.
Sure there's hate, but there's also a lot of pity. I'm glad the Leaves won the lottery. They needed a pity pick.

And 50 years without much playoff success is really really sad. Perhaps the league can do something special to celebrate the 50th Anniversary. They could have a special ceremony to give the Leafs a participation ribbon or something.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I disagree with this. Dman are probably the hardest to scout, assess and predict. No one thought Karlsson would have developed as a franchise dman getting picked at #15, or McDonagh at 12th or Subban and Keith in the 2nd round.

I thought Juolevi looked as impressive as the other top 2 fins at juniors and reminded me a lot of Norrisson with his skating ability, I think he can develop as a franchise dman but who knows. Not sure about Sergachev tho I haven't seen him yet.

I think the biggest thing we should take away from early-mid first round draft defensemen is never wasting that pick on a stay at home guy. Especially those 6'5"+ guys who are drafted because "they skate well for a big guy".

Who's the last stay at home defenseman drafted in the first round that panned out?

I dunno. In this draft, I might prefer to take the gamble on Dubois (BPA) than try out one of the defensemen that haven't really set themselves apart. That said I think the Oilers will take him.

And if he's gone at #4, Canucks should trade down to a team that desperately wants someone at #5. If that team exists. Because one of Chychrun, Sergachev and Juolevi will be available at #5-11 and who the fuck knows what you're getting.

I can see the Oilers taking a defenceman. Even if he's not a Norris winner they still need some young talent in that position.

The Canucks have a lot of needs, so picking BPA won't give them an overabundance at one position. Benning has done well the last couple drafts so I think he'll make a good choice.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

True. I do remember him not having a great NHL career in the beginning, then I think it was one World Championship he came back and utterly dominated.
Team Quick or Team Creeper

Which side are you on?

Team Auston Matthews.

What? It's been a few posts since we mentioned him.

imBask

Banned
Then they trade him to Arizona for Strome++, I guess

June 30, 1992 – Traded by the Quebec Nordiques to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for Steve Duchesne, Ron Hextall, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Chris Simon, the rights to Peter Forsberg, Philadelphia's 1993 first-round draft pick (Jocelyn Thibault), Philadelphia's 1994 first-round pick (Nolan Baumgartner) and $15 million;

seriously that fucking trade, that's just insane

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
seriously that fucking trade, that's just insane
More to the story though.

Lindro's mother was always getting involved and interfering. However, she speaks French and apparently, the Quebec management there talked shit about her, which pissed Lindros off. Additionally, I just read the other day that one of those management peeps had some sexual allegations against him too.

Doesn't paint a pretty picture.

In all seriousness, though Drouin kind of went Lindros on Tampa and look where that got him. Can you imagine anyone pulling that with Lou...? If he had the balls to stand up to Lou, that's fine but then Lou is extremely well-connected and respected around the league.

imBask

Banned

Lindro's mother was always getting involved and interfering. However, she speaks French and apparently, the Quebec management there talked shit about her, which pissed Lindros off. Additionally, I just read the other day that one of those management peeps had some sexual allegations against him too.

In all seriousness, though Drouin kind of went Lindros on Tampa and look where that got him. Can you imagine anyone pulling that with Lou...? If he had the balls to stand up to Lou, that's fine but then Lou is extremely well-connected and respected around the league.

oh yeah I know it's a huge story and both sides were kinda dumb in some way... but still, I can't imagine that happening these days. Refusing to wear the jersey on stage when you get drafted? that's crazy

Pikma

Banned

I think 'feared' is the word you're looking for

Never heard of these guys but GHOST MOTHER FUCKING BEAR sounds like a good guy, cool name too

I really want GhostBear to win

psych-shawn-gus-fist-bumps.gif

You know that's right

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Sure there's hate, but there's also a lot of pity. I'm glad the Leaves won the lottery. They needed a pity pick.

And 50 years without much playoff success is really really sad. Perhaps the league can do something special to celebrate the 50th Anniversary. They could have a special ceremony to give the Leafs a participation ribbon or something.

Sounds hot.

Do the Oilers get a nice looking pin for having the longest post season drought in NHL history?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I got a Census form in the mail today

Ive been here 6 years but never gotten one

Do people actually do these?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I think 'feared' is the word you're looking for
He must be scaring everyone into saying he's a supportive guy then. You'd think a huge dude like Burke (who talks about fighting people and doesn't give a shit about saying anything) wouldn't hold back about Lou, but he respects him a whole lot too. I'm sure there is disparaging comments about him, but I haven't read anything about it.
Sounds hot.

Do the Oilers get a nice looking pin for having the longest post season drought in NHL history?
Lol oh captain kitty comes out swinging.

Panarin will probably win it but he might be the least deserving of the three. He piled up the points, but he's older (24) and played with Kane.

Gostisbehere was a big part of Philadelphia making the playoffs. However, defencemen are usually overlooked for the Calder (though Ekblad won it), and he only played 64 games.

Collar McBroken played 45 games but was at over a point-per-game pace. Still though, Edmonton finished last in the West.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Panarin will probably win it but he might be the least deserving of the three. He piled up the points, but he's older (24) and played with Kane.

Gostisbehere was a big part of Philadelphia making the playoffs. However, defencemen are usually overlooked for the Calder (though Ekblad won it), and he only played 64 games.

Collar McBroken played 45 games but was at over a point-per-game pace. Still though, Edmonton finished last in the West.
Had Collar McBroken played the whole season, I think it would've easily been his. Still, because he didn't, and the LOLers still finished second last with him when he played a good bit of the second half and had a PPG, I think Ghostbear gets it. Panarin is the obvious choice though I'm not sure he can put up those numbers had he signed elsewhere (certainly not with us) whereas I think Ghostbear could help any team.

Larkin faded. Not sure why...
Domi also seemed to fade. He had good linemates and was playing really well too.
Eichel didn't even get a nomination. I say cot DAYUM.

Erdrick

I got a Census form in the mail today

Ive been here 6 years but never gotten one

Do people actually do these?

I'm attempting to finish mine online right now but when I go to submit, it says an error has occurred and I can't complete it. Even if I go to stop and resume later, I get the same error. I assume it's because of a lot of people attempting to get it done all at once or something.

It's still annoying though. They better get it worked out.

Top Bottom