• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I was wondering, how many cups do the leafs win during Mathews career? And also does he have a falling out with the organization afterwards like Sundae? Also wouldn't you rather have your franchise player the captain instead of the 60point winger in Stamkos?
Which plane did Zaitsev take to Toronto and did he have the chicken or fish for his dinner? How many hot dogs will he have?!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
There is no way they take the potential #1 center over the winger. The city will riot.

We no longer call it a first round pick, it's now just known as matthews

On the talk shows it's all they're referencing

Matthews matthews matthews

It's no longer a pick, choice is made for them lol

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
We no longer call it a first round pick, it's now just known as matthews

On the talk shows it's all they're referencing

Matthews matthews matthews

It's no longer a pick, choice is made for them lol
How many Zaitsevs will it take for Stamkos to pull a Matthews and play for the Toronto Maple Leafs?! D:

Brinbe

Not to continuously pile on, but adding onto things a bit. Bob seems to think, unsurprisingly, that we'll make a hard run at Stammer. http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/mckenzie-leafs-take-hard-run-steven-stamkos-ufa/

“It’s a good question. I can’t presume to know what Steven Stamkos would think. It’s his hometown. I don’t think that just because it’s his hometown that he’s necessarily sitting there on pins and needles saying, ‘I can hardly get to July 1 so I can sign with Toronto and nobody else.’

“What I can tell you, I think, is that I would be shocked beyond all belief… (if Steven Stamkos becomes a free agent)… there’s no doubt in my mind the Toronto Maple Leafs are going to take a hard run at Steven Stamkos.

“They would feel like the missing piece of the puzzle here is somebody who can lead them on and off the ice, somebody who is a real good player. They’ve got an unbelievable amount of salary cap flexibility right now.

“… There’s no doubt If Stamkos is on the market, they will make a strong bid to try and get Steven Stamkos. Whether they get him, we’d all just be guessing on that.”
I still think he's coming too. We have the interest and mounds of capspace to make it happen. And the hometown thing will mean something. Especially since we're looking to be a decent team in a year or two. Rogers/Bell smell the marketing bonanza, especially since it's our 100th year. They'll overpay if they must, but it'll happen.

Solo

I still think he's coming too. We have the interest and mounds of capspace to make it happen. And the hometown thing will mean something. Especially since we're looking to be a decent team in a year or two. Rogers/Bell smell the marketing bonanza, especially since it's our 100th year. They'll overpay if they must, but it'll happen.

Why would he want to come play for a team that won't contend until he's into his 30's and likely won't make the playoffs for at least 1-2 more seasons? Dumptruck of cash aside, that is. I don't buy into "player x always wanted to play for team a because its his hometown/favorite childhood team" nonsense either - how often does that actually happen? Last I checked Crosby wasn't a Hab.

Socreges

Banned
The rest of Off-Season NHL GAF needs to give us a few days to get this out of our system. I mean, it was only back in 2013/14 when the Leafs best forward prospects were Connor Brown and Freddie Gauthier.
Buddy. Days? Try months. It's not going to get any better. You've already got the bandwagoners like Brinbe trickling back in. Then there's the WHC where Leafs fans will orgasm over every move by Matthews. Not to mention the Marlies. This thread will be defined by Leafs fans masturbating constantly over what might be. Any momentary reprieve will be filled with Raptors and Jays discussion. True relief will only come in October.

ZeroGravity

Leafs should be investing in goaltending and defense instead of overpaying for Stamkos. They may have the capspace now, but it will come back to bite them if their young players develop into the kinds of great players they'll need to in order to compete (which is exactly what's happening with the Lightning right now and why Stamkos likely won't be resigned).

It's kind of hard to paint Stamkos as the "missing piece" when the Lightning have had him for eight years and he's brought the team exactly zero Stanley Cups.

imBask

Banned
Leafs should be investing in goaltending and defense instead of overpaying for Stamkos. They may have the capspace now, but it will come back to bite them if their young players develop into the kinds of great players they'll need to in order to compete (which is exactly what's happening with the Lightning right now and why Stamkos likely won't be resigned).

It's kind of hard to paint Stamkos as the "missing piece" when the Lightning have had him for eight years and he's brought the team exactly zero Stanley Cups.

Adding the missing wheel but taking out the entire transmission won't make your car run any better, your team is fucked buddy

Unless you're converting a regular car to a Flintstones car. Then you would have made significant progress in what might ultimately be a quixotic adventure.

Curufinwe

They need to worry about making the playoffs and winning a series before winning the Cup is realistic. Stamkos would help them do that, at least.

Brinbe

Buddy. Days? Try months. It's not going to get any better. You've already got the bandwagoners like Brinbe trickling back in. Then there's the WHC where Leafs fans will orgasm over every move by Matthews. Not to mention the Marlies. This thread will be defined by Leafs fans masturbating constantly over what might be. Any momentary reprieve will be filled with Raptors and Jays discussion. True relief will only come in October.

Fuck off with that bandwagon garbage. That's laughable considering I've been posting in NHL-GAF for years back to JFJ, when we were truly shit. My cred is just fine. So fuck off.

And no one is arguing that Stamkos makes us a better team or that he's instantly leading us to twenty cups. Just that we're gonna go hard at him for business/marketing reasons. We have as good a chance as anyone, we have the money/location/team to attract a player of his caliber. People said we had no chance at Babcock and we made that happen too. If we don't, it's not some huge loss.

People just like shitting on Toronto and people expressing any joy is labeled as delusional parade planning which is fucking stupid considering we're still here even after being shit since the lockout ended.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
They need to worry about making the playoffs and winning a series before winning the Cup is realistic. Stamkos would help them do that, at least.

also stamkos would be a good insulator to add to JVR / Kadri for Marner/Nylander/Matthews

yyzjohn

Banned

Mmmm baby, I like the sound of this.

Socreges

Banned
Fuck off with that bandwagon garbage. That's laughable considering I've been posting in NHL-GAF for years back to JFJ, when we were truly shit. My cred is just fine. So fuck off.
funny-gifs-getting-angry.gif

Just sayin. You've been following the Jays very closely on GAF but disappeared from here for ages. Welcome back, lifelong.

Then there's the WHC where Leafs fans will orgasm over every move by Matthews. Not to mention the Marlies. This thread will be defined by Leafs fans masturbating constantly over what might be. Any momentary reprieve will be filled with Raptors and Jays discussion. True relief will only come in October.

I don't see these things subsiding by October.

Quick

Banned

January 2017 is when tank talks resume.

#Tankaku2017
pls no more

Socreges

Banned
People just like shitting on Toronto and people expressing any joy is labeled as delusional parade planning which is fucking stupid considering we're still here even after being shit since the lockout ended.
Well, there are reasons. This doesn't happen in a vacuum. Leafs fans overrun this community like locusts (many very pleasant!). Action meet reaction.

he's just assuming the leafs would start losing
No. I assume 29 other teams will resume playing hockey and normal conversation will resume.

yyzjohn

Banned
Well, there are reasons. This doesn't happen in a vacuum. Leafs fans overrun this community like locusts (many very pleasant!). Action meet reaction.

No. I assume 29 other teams will resume playing hockey and normal conversation will resume.

Guys can we get back to talking about how fucking awesome Matthews will be on the way to winning the calder next season?

Socreges

Banned
I was two last time they picked first overall, and I'm old. Let us have this.
"oh look, another" was in reference to me technically making another Matthews related post

I had no intention of ragging Leafs fans but had to laugh when bones said it would take 3 days to get it out of your system. That would be totally understandable, but we all know it isn't going to play out that way!

Solo

When we "celebrate" 50 years without a Stanley Cup for the Leafs in 2017 things will come back down to earth.

"oh look, another" was in reference to me technically making another Matthews related post

I had no intention of ragging Leafs fans but had to laugh when bones said it would take 3 days to get it out of your system. That would be totally understandable, but we all know it isn't going to play out that way!

No, not at all. You'll be hearing about Matthews forever. I'm trying to keep it to a minimum, but it's hard not to when it bothers cake boss so much.

bonesmccoy on May 20 said:
2018:

Nylander
Kadri
Gauthier
Matthews

BELIEVE

be·lieve
bəˈlēv/
verb
past tense: believed; past participle: believed
accept (something) as true; feel sure of the truth of.
"believe in the Shanaplan"
synonyms: be convinced by, trust, have confidence in, consider honest, consider truthful

I'm part of the problem.

ZeroGravity

The years when Stamkos was scoring 50-60, we weren't making the playoffs. And his production has only gone down since then.

He's a very good player, but he's not the savior people make him out to be.

imBask

Banned
The years when Stamkos was scoring 50-60, we weren't making the playoffs. And his production has only gone down since then.

He's a very good player, but he's not the savior people make him out to be.

I see him like I see Ovechkin. He can't carry the team alone, but he's VERY IMPORTANT in a well built team

ZeroGravity

I see him like I see Ovechkin. He can't carry the team alone, but he's VERY IMPORTANT in a well built team
I agree, but the problem is that whatever team signs him will have to pay him like he's a player who can carry a team. Especially in the case of Stamkos, who has never proven himself to be a playoff performer either. Huge gamble.

imBask

Banned
I agree, but the problem is that whatever team signs him will have to pay him like he's a player who can carry a team. Especially in the case of Stamkos, who has never proven himself to be a playoff performer either. Huge gamble.

it's a gamble but definitely not a HUGE one

Radulov is a huge gamble
Semin was a huge gamble
whoever's going to sign Weise at 3M per year is gambling
but Stamkos? i'll take the risk

Cake Boss

Banned
Been reading on these draft eligible kids.

Everyone is torn on Pierre Luc Dubois, some compare him to Jamie Benn, and others just say hes going to be a Couturier.

Top Bottom