• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

ShaneB

I havent played since last spring. Thats one of the shitty things about nyc. No easy access to courses.

I'm sure there are some nice course not too far from you, hope you get around to playing again soon.

I've got a sunset pass at a complex just a bit north of me, so I'll be doing lots of evening golf after work.

Cake Boss

Banned
The guy that put Boroweicki on the top forward line is coaching the Canadian team?

The guy that put Chiasson on the top power play instead of Hoffman

The guy that scratched Prince for half the season where now he's on the top line in one of the playoff teams on the wing with one of the best centers in the league

The guy that played Boroweicki and Cowen in the top 4 over Wideman

The guy who who coached a team with the worst penalty kill, the worst power play, most goals against and most shots against

That guy?

*Stone on the 4th line, (the highest scoring Canadian RW this past season) *

Lol makes sense

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I just saw that the Yotes hired a 26 year old as their GM...

Are they actively trying to become a joke in the league? At least the Leafs are doing it the right way with bringing along Dubas.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I just saw that the Yotes hired a 26 year old as their GM...

Are they actively trying to become a joke in the league? At least the Leafs are doing it the right way with bringing along Dubas.
Yeah, I kinda wonder about that. This guy is going to go up against agents demanding tons of money and he also likely doesn't have as many contacts around the league. If he's pure analytics driven, this'll be an interesting case. For sure he's not going to be trading anything for the 1st pick though

Yeah, I kinda wonder about that. This guy is going to go up against agents demanding tons of money and he also likely doesn't have as many contacts around the league. If he's pure analytics driven, this'll be an interesting case. For sure he's not going to be trading anything for the 1st pick though

Uhhh... this is the Coyotes. He won't be dealing much at all with agents demanding tons of money.

Agent: "Hey we want lots of mon... wait, is this the Coyotes?"

Chayka: "Yeah. I'm John Chayka, GM of the Coyotes."

Agent: "Oh. Sorry. Meant to call a team that deals with tons of money."

Chayka: "Oops! Not us. Classic mistake."

imBask

Banned
Joining him will be Cody Ceci, Ben Hutton, Ryan Murray, and Chris Tanev.

am I missing something? where's Weber, Doughty, Keith, Seabrook, Subban and etc? I didn't follow the WHC lineup thingy at all

Okay so I have a few questions . Who is coaching team Canada for the World Championships?

Who are our Goalies? Mike Smith again?

Will Marchand and Gallagher be on a line together?

zroid

Banned
Okay so I have a few questions . Who is coaching team Canada for the World Championships?

Who are our Goalies? Mike Smith again?

Will Marchand and Gallagher be on a line together?

Bill Peters is the head coach, Dave Cameron and Mike Yeo assistants

goalies are Calvin Pickard and Cam Talbot

calder

NHL mock draft: Auston Matthews first, then who? - Corey Pronman
With the draft lottery completed, it's time for an updated look at who I see being taken in each of the top 30 slots of the 2016 NHL draft.

Some caveats:

This is a projection of the first round, not my personal ranking of the players mentioned (my updated rankings come next week). This is meant to reflect the top 30 draft prospects as viewed by the industry.

Team tendencies, philosophies and depth charts are taken into account.

While we'll probably see trades on draft night, I'm not projecting any in this mock.

Given that we're not yet at a point where teams have their entire board finalized, I hope to accomplish two things with this mock: First, this gives fans a rough idea of what range of players their team probably will be considering, and two, this shows who could be available at their slot. Any thoughts on who I think a team likes are based on informed speculation from this season, or from getting to know a team's personnel over a longer period of time.

Note: Draft order is as determined by the lottery (picks No. 1-14), the teams automatically slotted (Nos. 15, 16) and the rest of the playoff results based on regular-season record. An updated mock will be released with all 30 slots in order in late June.

1. Toronto Maple Leafs
Auston Matthews, C, ZSC (NLA)

I don't think it's 100 percent that Toronto takes Auston Matthews; then again, I don't think anyone has ever said anything is 100 percent for a Lou Lamoriello-run team. In fact, one New Jersey scout said that on one particular draft day he didn't know what player the Devils were targeting until an hour or two before their pick. That being said, the Maple Leafs taking Matthews can be classified as a very likely scenario.

2. Winnipeg Jets
Patrik Laine, RW/LW, Tappara (Liiga)

The Jets will take whichever of Laine or Matthews gets to them, and the most likely scenario is that they get the big Finn. I'm sure they will debate grabbing Jesse Puljujarvi instead, but there is a drop-off from Laine to him.

3. Columbus Blue Jackets
Jesse Puljujarvi, RW, Karpat (Liiga)

Columbus is in the position of making the easiest pick in the draft. The top tier is three players deep, between Matthews, Laine and Puljujarvi, and they will take whichever of the three players is left.

4. Edmonton Oilers
Matthew Tkachuk, LW, London (OHL)

I have Edmonton slotted here to take Keith's son, who would be a fine complement to their current crop of players given his skill set and competitiveness, but I don't believe it's a lock they keep the pick. As we've discussed earlier, the Edmonton rebuild is at a point where another lottery selection, particularly a forward, doesn't make a whole lot of sense. This could be a trade-down opportunity for the Oilers, to get a piece that can help the big club right now.

5. Vancouver Canucks
Jakob Chychrun, D, Sarnia (OHL)

I am also not entirely convinced Vancouver keeps its top pick, given the rumor around rinks that the Canucks are looking to add a top-tier defense prospect and could probably grab a similar quality one by moving down a couple of spots. If they do stick, Chychrun notches some check marks for a Jim Benning-run team, as an athletic, physical, top-end two-way defenseman.

6. Calgary Flames
Pierre-Luc Dubois, C/W, Cape Breton (QMJHL)

Calgary will be looking to add one of the big forwards to their current group, and I think they like Dubois a lot. Despite Dubois being a center for a good portion of the season, he's also a very effective winger; this is important given that Calgary has Sean Monahan and Sam Bennett to play down the middle.

7. Arizona Coyotes
Alexander Nylander, RW/LW, Mississauga (OHL)

The Coyotes are set to promote assistant GM John Chayka to the role of GM, and he will be a proponent of adding high-end skill to the organization. Nylander (brother of Leafs youngster William) is not only in this tier of prospects, but he brings skill and hockey sense in bunches.

8. Buffalo Sabres
Olli Juolevi, D, London (OHL)

Buffalo has been the hardest team for me to get a read on in the top 10. Juolevi is a real guess for me, but the rationale is based on scouts I've talked to who say he seems to be the best player available here by a hair, and the Sabres could use another top defense talent in the pipeline.

9. Montreal Canadiens
Mikhail Sergachyov, D, Windsor (OHL)

I don't think Montreal is specifically looking to add defensemen, but they've kept a close eye on Sergachyov this season, and one source says he thinks he's very well thought of there. Sergachyov seems like a guy who the Montreal system desperately needs, a high-upside offensive defenseman who was just named the top defenseman in the OHL.

10. Colorado Avalanche
Tyson Jost, C/LW, Penticton (BCHL)

Despite drafting a fair amount of forwards the past few years, Colorado isn't entirely happy with its current group of young forwards. Jost would hit a lot of things that GM Joe Sakic and coach Patrick Roy are looking for: being able to play all the forward positions well, a high skill level and a strong defensive game.

11. New Jersey Devils
Clayton Keller, C, USNTDP (USHL)

Trying to project New Jersey in the past several years has been next to impossible, but I'm doing my best to get a better feel for this organization under the new regime. The Devils' farm system is in need of a high-end skilled center like Keller, and he also clearly would be the best player available at this slot.

12. Ottawa Senators
Dante Fabbro, D, Penticton (BCHL)

Fabbro generated late-season buzz after being one of the best players at the IIHF world under-18 championship. There are some organizations who now view him as a top-10 prospect, but there's not a consensus. While Ottawa addressed defense last year by taking Thomas Chabot, it still needs a lot more help throughout the organization at that position.

13. Carolina Hurricanes
Logan Brown, C, Windsor (OHL)

There's a big divide on Brown within the industry. Some absolutely adore him, having him as a top-5 prospect, and other hockey people would not go near him in the top 15. I don't know which camp Carolina is in, but with Eric Staal gone (for now) and an aging Jordan Staal, he'd be a top-end skill center they hope to plug into their lineup in a few years.

14. Boston Bruins
Jake Bean, D, Calgary (WHL)

After last year who knows what Boston will do at the draft (I say that half-jokingly), but per the industry, Bean would be the best player available right here. If an organization like Boston is looking for a player with high hockey IQ, Bean would fit that bill. And yes, insert your own "Bean in Beantown" jokes here.

15. Minnesota Wild
Mike McLeod, C, Mississauga (OHL)

McLeod has slid a little bit in the industry after an OK end to the season, including an average under-18 tournament, but he's still beloved by many. In March, some NHL scouts were talking about him going in the top 7, and some still maintain that love, but I'd bet on his reaching the teens on June 24. McLeod would add to the big, toolsy forwards Minnesota has put into its farm system during the last few years.

16. Detroit Red Wings
Kieffer Bellows, C/LW, USNTDP (USHL)

While people often associate Detroit with small, flashy European forwards, their top picks for most part have been domestic, and they haven't been afraid to go after size if it's accompanied by a lot of skill. Bellows -- son of former No. 2 overall pick Brian -- has that in bunches (6-foot-1, 194 pounds), on top of an elite shot, being one of the top all-time goal scorers ever for the USNTDP.

17. Nashville Predators
Charlie McAvoy, D, Boston University (NCAA)

Nashville tends to target players with good hockey sense who compete hard, and McAvoy displays both of those attributes. He was one of Boston University's better players this season as a freshman, and while there are some split opinions on him (some love him, some not so much), he would be seen as a value at this slot.

18. Philadelphia Flyers
Julien Gauthier, RW, Val-d'Or (QMJHL)

Gauthier has slid down draft boards in the second half of the season after being seen as a sure-thing top-15 pick in November. He's still a pretty coveted player, and would fit in well in the Flyers system because of his size (6-foot-4, 225 pounds) and high-end skill; currently, the pipeline is stacked on defense and has a good, small center in Travis Konency.

19. Tampa Bay Lightning
German Rubtsov, C, Russian U-18 team (MHL)

It seems cliché at this point to slot the Russian to Tampa, but Rubtsov would be the ultimate Steve Yzerman-era Lightning pick, as they've earned a reputation as risk-takers. He's a highly touted talent who didn't play at the under-18 tournament as part of the Russian meldonium doping scandal, and has been consistently impressive the past two seasons.

20. Arizona Coyotes (from New York Rangers)
Alex DeBrincat, C, Erie (OHL)

I have no source on this, but the number of skaters over 6 feet tall the Coyotes draft in the first year of the Chayka regime is probably one. DeBrincat seems like a prime target for the new regime. An elite skilled forward who has put up huge numbers during his time in the CHL, DeBrincat checks in at 5-7. Mind you, plenty of people in the industry like him, so he could be a value here for the Coyotes at 20 if he's still on the board.

21. Carolina Hurricanes (from Los Angeles Kings)
Max Jones, LW, London (OHL)

There are a number of NHL people who would love to get Jones in the top 15, and I'd say most have him top 20, but there are also some who are very worried by his lack of discipline and have him rated outside the first round. Jones getting to No. 21 would be a bit of a slide, and would be the first real muck-and-grind skilled forward the Canes have drafted high in a few years. A nice complement if they opt for a player like Brown with their earlier pick.

22. Anaheim Ducks
Luke Kunin, C, Wisconsin (NCAA)

Though the Big 10 wasn't strong this season, Kunin was quite impressive in his freshman campaign for the Badgers after getting out from playing behind Auston Matthews and Ottawa's Colin White all of last season with the USNTDP. It's hard to get a read on where he'll go this year, but he's a lock for the first round, and just about every discussion with NHL people about Kunin has been positive. The Ducks have somewhat of a need in their farm system for a skilled forward, so this is a good match.

23. Florida Panthers
Riley Tufte, LW, Fargo (USHL)

Tufte is a bit of a wild card for me. I could see him go as high as 20, and could see him fall outside the top 45. He's a high-end skater, and his huge frame (6-foot-5, 190 pounds) probably will appeal to some NHL team to bite the bullet on this year's top high school prospect (he split his time between Blaine High and Fargo of the USHL this season). Florida needs to find stars in the draft given their spending restraints, and he has the tools to be just that if his development goes right. He's slated to skate for the University of Minnesota-Duluth next season.

24. Winnipeg Jets (from Chicago Blackhawks)
Vitali Abramov, LW/RW, Gatineau (QMJHL)

During the last few drafts, the Jets have gone heavy on players who think the game very well and can be dynamic offensive players; this has led to their having a very strong farm system. Abramov has been on the rise in NHL circles after posting giant scoring totals in "the Q" and displaying a great offensive flair to his game.

25. Toronto Maple Leafs (Pittsburgh Penguins)
Samuel Girard, D, Shawinigan (QMJHL)

I'm not saying most of Toronto's draft picks will probably come in under the league average in height, but this organization in its new form made it clear at the draft last season it was putting a premium on skill and tools, as opposed to bulk or, ahem, truculence. Girard fits the bill of a brilliant skater who moves the puck very well, put up huge numbers and was named the top defenseman in the QMJHL this season. He's also barely 5-foot-10, if that.

26. St. Louis Blues
Kale Clague, D, Brandon (WHL)

The Blues have a fair amount of good defense prospects in their system, especially with the breakout of Jake Walman with Providence this season, but they've always been a team that approaches the draft trying to maximize value and get the most upside. Clague is certainly an upside type of prospect who has been touted for years, is an elite skater and a solid player at both ends.

27. Boston Bruins (from San Jose Sharks)
Brett Howden, C, Moose Jaw (WHL)

The Bruins could use a big center with talent in their farm system. The fact that Howden checks off those boxes plus could play center or wing brings some welcome versatility as well. Howden impressed as the season went along, including a very strong end to the season at the world under-18 championship. He's a very smart two-way forward with a fine toolkit.

28. New York Islanders
Rasmus Asplund, C/LW, Farjestad (SHL)

In recent years, the Islanders have put a premium on skill and hockey sense in their draft picks, and while Asplund has not been a sexy name in recent draft discussions, he has those attributes in a desirable quantity. The Islanders have a lot of skilled forwards in their system, but Mathew Barzal is the only one who projects to remain at center at the NHL level. Asplund has the two-way game to match the skill, and could stick in the middle at the next level.

29. Dallas Stars
Pascal Laberge, C/RW, Victoriaville (QMJHL)

Dallas likes prospects who can make plays with the puck, and Laberge was a big riser this season as he showed offensive touch throughout the QMJHL season and was a top performer at the CHL top prospects game; one knock is that he was mediocre at the world under-18 championship. He is a competitive, versatile forward who has flash and finish to his game.

Note: If the Stars make the Western Conference final, this pick belongs to the Flames as a condition of the Kris Russell trade.

30. Washington Capitals
Carl Grundstrom, LW, Modo (SHL)

Grundstrom didn't have a huge season. But in talking to scouts overseas, there are some who believe he could go in the first round, if not notably higher than where I've placed him, because of his ability to be a game-breaker. That type of risk-reward is what Washington tends to target, ergo the pick here. If Tampa passes on Rubtsov, I could certainly see Washington try to grab him instead.

Parch

Team tendencies, philosophies and depth charts are taken into account.
Makes no sense that Edmonton and Arizona would not pick defensemen. Montreal would be extremely fortunate if Sergachev dropped to 9.

Sounds like shitshow is going on with the Panthers' AHL affiliate. Team was sold largely in secret to Springfield, Mass and caught everyone by surprise. Even the Panthers didn't know, beat writers, players etc. New deal has to be reached with new management so Cats are trying to check all of their options.

Quick

Banned
Montreal is about to ban Uber for real.

I fucking love this city but I also fucking hate this city

Now that sucks. I don't use Uber too often, but it's honestly just so convenient.

Toronto just approved regulations for Uber. Taxi drivers are mad as hell. lol

If you pull a Gary Whitta on your posts, maybe you could get the Winnipeg job when that opens up.

Send me to Siberia instead. I'll run their KHL team.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
My summer hockey season starts today.....at 10:30 pm. Getting home at 1am blows. Thankfully I don't have much to do tomorrow except going golfing.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
There are plenty of old GMs who are terrible. I don't see what's wrong with giving a young guy a chance.

This guy has a grand total of one year of experience in the front office of an NHL team, somehow I doubt guys like Lou Lamoriello or Ken Holland or even the players and coaches of his own team are going to take him seriously.

But, let's be honest, Dave Tippett is the one who's actually running the show there.

Foggy

I'd be curious how close Winnipeg sees the two Finns and what they would want in addition to the 3rd pick if they wanted to swap. Maybe it was a candid moment when JD said it was a two person draft at the top. Maybe it was just a sly way of saying they're open to trades, but internally are only looking for "can't refuse" proposals. The Finns essentially represent offensive upside vs possession upside. I'd be curious what Winnipeg values more right now, because BJs badly need both.

Syrinx

Man, that "Fire Boudreau to get us over the hump" strategy is working wonders for the Caps. Wonder if the Ducks will see the same success.

Top Bottom