• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

calder

How come Jagr has never had kids? Would have been cool if there was a little Jagr playing parallel in the NHL

Legit, I don't think he's a guy who has or seems to have often even wanted long term relationships. He's more of a "dating a 19 year old swimsuit model for a couple of months" sort of guy. I've also read a few interviews where he admits that he's tough to be in a relationship with as he loves hockey way more than anyone he dates and his romantic partners inevitably get sick of him preferring to go to the gym 3 hours a day. It was a bit sad honestly.

ShaneB

My summer hockey season starts today.....at 10:30 pm. Getting home at 1am blows. Thankfully I don't have much to do tomorrow except going golfing.

Heck yeah, will be 20 degrees tomorrow, beautiful day for afternoon golf. Lucked out having a half day at work.

Quick

Banned
I've been looking into summer hockey leagues, but it looks like I missed the boat on signing up.

Plus, I still feel like I need to improve more before even considering anything organized.

calder

Heck yeah, will be 20 degrees tomorrow, beautiful day for afternoon golf. Lucked out having a half day at work.

veIVEeh.png

Really looking forward to walking a half KM to pick up something after work than walking over a kilometer home. :|

Who cares how old the guy is if he cam get results? He's been in the front office a while now already.

Forgot though, people posting on hockey message boards are more knowledgeable and credible than the ownership group and actual front offices. Talk about something being a joke.

Maloney was great, but results didn't follow. If they don't with the new guy the coyotes are right back where they started. On the other hand, kid brings some new thinking to old stodgy nhl front offices it'd be a good thing. When Epstein got hired in Boston at 28 heard the same dumb shit and the Sox ended up with multiple rings.

zroid

Banned
Who cares how old the guy is if he cam get results? He's been in the front office a while now already.

Forgot though, people posting on hockey message boards are more knowledgeable and credible than the ownership group and actual front offices. Talk about something being a joke.

Maloney was great, but results didn't follow. If they don't with the new guy the coyotes are right back where they started. On the other hand, kid brings some new thinking to old stodgy nhl front offices it'd be a good thing. When Epstein got hired in Boston at 28 heard the same dumb shit and the Sox ended up with multiple rings.
as long as he's smart, forward-thinking, and there's a strong supporting staff, I don't really see it as a problem

the NHL old boys club has always been too traditionalist and slow to evolve

Quick

Banned
Pierre would be anti-analytics.

I could get behind the comment about not relying solely on analytics to build a team, but he drives rationale right off the cliff afterwards.

Yawnier

Banned
Lol fucking hilarious since I just finished listening to his Ottawa radio interview from this morning.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/mcguire-capitals-are-not-playing-their-game-1.483932

Skip to the last minute. Legit almost dropped my weights after his comments on the analytics movement.

He lists buffalo, Toronto and Edmonton as the reasons why analytics doesn't work.

.....Edmonton?

Ayy lmao

and even for Toronto, the Leafs have only embraced analytics in the last 2 years since Dubas was hired and after that hiring they started the analytics department in the FO so it's not really fair to use them as example.

Cake Boss

Banned
I just wish these turd radio hosts will call him out on his bullshit instead of letting him spew his misinformation and shitty opinions.

He probably supports Trump too judging on his ways of thinking.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Lol fucking hilarious since I just finished listening to his Ottawa radio interview from this morning.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/mcguire-capitals-are-not-playing-their-game-1.483932

Skip to the last minute. Legit almost dropped my weights after his comments on the analytics movement.

He lists buffalo, Toronto and Edmonton as the reasons why analytics doesn't work.
Waaaaatttt??? Toronto realized they were in deep trouble and snapped out of it....????? DAFUQ is he taking about...?

as long as he's smart, forward-thinking, and there's a strong supporting staff, I don't really see it as a problem

the NHL old boys club has always been too traditionalist and slow to evolve

Here's how I think the interview went:

Leblanc - "so, explain to us this chart GAF user zroid posted"

New Guy - "that's quite simple actually..." Goes on to explain a zroid chart. To all attending, sounds more like mandarin.

Leblanc - "well, you're hired. You're the only person we've spoken with that understands these charts so we think you must be smart. No one in any other front office has any idea what it is that guy posts with those charts."

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
So glad that Jagr is back next year, probably the 4th or 5th best player to ever play the game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarom%C3%ADr_J%C3%A1gr#NHL_records

A reminder that Jagr was the only player other than Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemieux to win the scoring title between 1981 and 2001...and nearly added another in 2006.

Not to mention, it's very possible he could have a 70 point season next year, coming from the man with the most consecutive 70 point seasons, including the lockout-shortened 1994-1995 season. If he hadn't left for the KHL in 2008 he'd very likely have had 16 or 17.

His career high of 149 points (62 goals, 87 assists) in 1995-1996 is more than anyone else has ever had besides Esposito, Yzerman, Lemieux, and Gretzky.

From Wikipedia, let's not forget the awards:

Award Year(s) awarded
Art Ross Trophy 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001[64]
Hart Memorial Trophy 1999[65]
Lester B. Pearson Award 1999, 2000, 2006[66]
NHL All-Rookie Team 1991[67]
13× NHL All-Star Game selection 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2016[68]
NHL First All-Star Team 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2006[69]
NHL Second All-Star Team 1997[69]
Stanley Cup champion 1991, 1992[68]

Let's not forget his absolute domination in the 1998-1999 season, 20 more points than anyone else in the middle of the dead puck era. The 127th and final point came in the overtime of Wayne Gretzky's final game, which Jagr won in overtime.

Was Pierre implying that the Leafs under Burke and Nonis were using analytics to build their teams?

I mean, it is possible. There was some chatter from the assistant coaches back then about the usage of their own 'analytics' - I think it was something like high quality chance versus low quality chance.

Let's not forget his absolute domination in the 1998-1999 season, 20 more points than anyone else in the middle of the dead puck era. The 127th and final point came in the overtime of Wayne Gretzky's final game, which Jagr won in overtime.

Pleased for Jagr.

Not pleased at all that the league is still in the dead puck era.

Parch

You need to find a GM or coach that does more than talk a big game. Dallas Eakins had everybody conned in Edmonton because he was a snake oil salesman, but his lack of experience resulted in zero results. What a phony.

"Smart" can be faked. There is no replacement for experience.

zroid

Banned
Was Pierre implying that the Leafs under Burke and Nonis were using analytics to build their teams?

I mean, it is possible. There was some chatter from the assistant coaches back then about the usage of their own 'analytics' - I think it was something like high quality chance versus low quality chance.

I doubt that's what he's implying, he's just an ignoramus. But either way, whatever what going on under Burke and Nonis wasn't "analytics". Tracking some random stat to try and prove your system isn't a complete travesty as every other predictive metric shows is something I like to call stupidity.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt that's what he's implying, he's just an ignoramus. But either way, whatever what going on under Burke and Nonis wasn't "analytics". Tracking some random stat to try and prove your system isn't a complete travesty as every other predictive metric shows is something I like to call stupidity.
Scoring chances
"Was that a good scoring chance, Randy?"
"I dunno, did it look like it might go in..?"
"Well...it was a point shot that Reimer let in behind a screen"
"No, it was not a good scoring chance. He's only playing okay this game..."

Oh for sure. I just remember some smug comments from those guys about their own system they were using, and Pierre doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would dig deeply into these kinds of things.

ShaneB

I never went once last year for someone reason so I'm trying to rectify that.

Keep me updated with how your rounds go!

veIVEeh.png

Really looking forward to walking a half KM to pick up something after work than walking over a kilometer home. :|

Well dang, that's a hot day.

Damn all you people playing golf right now.

I'm not dropping $46.50 to play on fucking temporary greens :(

I grew up on temp greens, everything here in the city already feels like it's in great condition, I'm not picky!

yyzjohn

Banned

Pleased for Jagr.

Not pleased at all that the league is still in the dead puck era.

Fuck Burke was a blowhard, the only "stats" I remember him spitting out were a few random tweets about how good the Leafs record was with Phaneuf in the lineup. They had a bit of a run at one point and he tweeted the record a few times. Analytics!!!

Erdrick

veIVEeh.png

I sure love wearing a suit in weather like this... It wasn't bad this morning when I left around 6am but egad... when I got outside this afternoon, I wasn't expecting this level of heat just yet. It's fooling me into thinking that it's June or July already.

Trotz,Gallant and Ruff are this year's Jack Adams Recipients

I think Trotz has this, then he gets immediately fired if they lose to Pittsburgh.

I honestly think Pete Deboer should be mentioned or Hakstol.

zroid

Banned
Dude there's no way Trotz is getting fired this year lol

MAYBE next year if they have another disappointing season (eg don't make it to ECF)

Top Bottom