• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

calder

Most teams would. An elite center is considered more valuable than an elite winger. So if they're otherwise kinda even you go for Matthews

Yep, Matthews is going #1, the Jets would take him #1 if they had won the first pick, this is just the normal silliness you see when there isn't a generational pick available but a few very good prospects. Everyone gets bored of the guy who's been projected at #1 for years so they start talking up the other guy if he makes up the gap at all, and Laine has definitely narrowed the gap this year.

I think Matthews is narrowly ranked higher than Laine if you ignore positions but of course you don't do that so it's an easy choice IMO.

The other part of it of course is Jets fans looking at the guy they are likely going to get and falling in love hard and watching YT videos and reading shit about Laine and naturally now they know more about him than anyone else . And Leaf fans, because they pick instead of take whoever is available, knowing there is a chance they regret the choice. And hey it's something to argue about on Twitter or write blog posts about so why not overthink it as a fan or media type.

zroid

Banned
0WDFRfX.png

oof

ShaneB

Speaking of Golf: I have an old set of Clubs that my uncle gave me and it's been in my shed for years.

Maybe I should go golfing

Learn a little about toilets and plumbing first, that shit is important! Then you can go golfing.

random note...NHL-GAF/Toronto meetup at a driving range sometime?

Yawnier

Banned
The Albany Devils play perhaps an even more boring trap system than their parent club

If the marlies win this series I'm (mostly) confident that they can make it to the calder cup final....

The devils are the team I really didn't want them to play early on in the playoffs, they're a deep team as well and they have more vets and players with NHL experience beyond just like 20 games than the marlies have.

Tonight's game was a little bit chippy, I can see this series going to 7 games and whoever comes out of it will prob be fairly beaten up.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Watching some of USA-Canada from this morning.

Brass and Taylor Hall seem to have pretty good chemistry together. Interesting...

Stasis

They should all voluntarily sign with the Oilers. I mean, they're bound to break out at some point, right?

Right?

edit: It's gonna be awesome when/if they do. We're gonna get an influx of Oilers "fans". Can't wait.

According to the Boston Herald, Jimmy Vesey is going to sign with the Bruins.

This article has no foundation, no quotes, nothing. It is literally:

NEWARK, N.J. — Hockey fans in Nashville could be singing very sad country songs if Jimmy Vesey declines to sign with the Predators, who drafted him in the third round (No. 66 overall) in 2012.

Vesey just wrapped up his college career at Harvard and exercised his right under the collective bargaining agreement to become an unrestricted free agent on Aug. 15.

If Vesey reaches free agency it would be a crushing loss for the Predators, and maybe fantastic good fortune for the Bruins.

Unless I'm missing something, that is the entire article. A summary of how he was drafted, went to Harvard, and is going to become a UFA.

Not knocking you Bones, I'm knocking the Boston Herald. What is the point of writing that article?

This article has no foundation, no quotes, nothing. It is literally:

Unless I'm missing something, that is the entire article. A summary of how he was drafted, went to Harvard, and is going to become a UFA.

Not knocking you Bones, I'm knocking the Boston Herald. What is the point of writing that article?

They need hope man.

No, I noticed the same thing. I think the BH article got archived, and they only leave up a stub for non-subscribers. The quote in the HW post isn't viewable on BH's site.

The point was to (indirectly) show solidarity with Canucks fans who've seen their club be cruelly rejected by the Lottery and then cruelly rejected by a highly touted college FA.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
It's been going back and forth between Toronto and Boston since March, with both cities certainly offering advantages.

I'd give the Bruins the edge, since he has deep roots with Boston. And who'd really want to go to work with their dad? :p
I brought that point up before, but apparently, while his dad works for us, he's based out of Boston, so going there would actually be closer to him.

Seems like a foregone conclusion that he goes to Boston though, and winning the lottery takes the sting out when he does. We have a whole bunch of other players that need time on the roster and our more pressing needs are D and a cardboard box that can play goalie.

yyzjohn

Banned
I brought that point up before, but apparently, while his dad works for us, he's based out of Boston, so going there would actually be closer to him.

Seems like a foregone conclusion that he goes to Boston though, and winning the lottery takes the sting out when he does. We have a whole bunch of other players that need time on the roster and our more pressing needs are D and a cardboard box that can play goalie.

Would have been nice though. If Vesey worked out it could open up more trade possibilities with other young forwards if Leafs want to trade for D

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
My golf game went pretty well for having not played in a year. My score wasn't good at all, but I was still happy with some of my shots. The coarse was nice and inexpensive, kinda links-esque. I used my Microsoft Band to keep track of my game score and use it as a range finder for the first time and it was excellent.

Also I wish golf was 14 rather than 18 holes. By the 18th I was done. I guess if I shaved off a lot of shots I wouldn't be as tired at the end.

Quick

Banned
I ain't even thinking about hockey too much right now.

Lottery is over, and I have very little enthusiasm for the playoffs, especially now that the Ducks and Panthers are eliminated.

Samyy

Look forward to e3 first...makes the draft wait feel more bearable.

Eh I'm not into games as much as I used to be
Ratchet and Clank is really the only game I played a lot of the last few months. New Witcher 3 expansion will probably change that though :0

zroid

Banned
Anyone watching USA vs Belarus?

Maroon is hilarious :lol

ughhh why does USA's goal song have to be Chelsea Dagger :| Fuck the Blackhawks so much

Socreges

Banned
Fascinating to me that the reason why promotion/relegation can be a thing in European football is the same reason why a team like Leicester FC has never won before and should in theory never fucking win ever.

Which makes it all the more incredible

And on that note, fantastic video of Middlesbrough promotion

Imagine if the Leafs' reward for being the most terrible was not the #1 prospect in the world but relegation to the AHL. With the Marlies meanwhile fighting to replace them. Wait no that'd be meaningless

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 53s54 seconds ago
Some rumblings that NYR getting closer to signing 2013 draft pick Pavel Buchnevich. Looking forward to seeing his impact in North America.
Good, goood.

I5K0S01.gif

Top Bottom