• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT2| I Want off Marc Bergevin's Wild Ride.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Hey Soc, it turns out De Grasse is a fellow Trojan, so his success belongs to me too. We can all get along now! De Grasse, what a good guy, making us all proud of our heritage.

RedRum

Banned
This looks all kinds of wrong right here.

image_6.img.jpg

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I could take or leave The Tragically Hip.

In fact, I can say the same for pretty much most Canadian rock artists.
facts only

I like rock, but 99% of Canadian rock is garbage, The Hip is good, but people put too much on the Canadian story lines.

facts only

I like rock, but 99% of Canadian rock is garbage, The Hip is good, but people put too much on the Canadian story lines.

Spoilered is my exact opinion.

Maybe it's because I grew up with other types of Canadian artists in my adolescence (Tiga, Amon Tobin, Saukrates, k-os, etc) but really not a whole lot of Canadian rock has impressed me.

Socreges

Banned
I could take or leave The Tragically Hip.

In fact, I can say the same for pretty much most Canadian rock artists.

facts only

Spoilered is my exact opinion.

Maybe it's because I grew up with other types of Canadian artists in my adolescence (Tiga, Amon Tobin, Saukrates, k-os, etc) but really not a whole lot of Canadian rock has impressed me.

What's canadian rock?

Rock that people only like because it's better then those dirty American's dumb rock and roll.

/s
*Vomits profusely*

Someone needs to take away Silver's voice box. No More Idiocy.

Canadian rock isn't a genre. It's not a discernible thing. It's just Rock that is Canadian.

I loved the Hip before I even understood their lyrics or that they were significant to Canada. So your simpleton analysis is garbage, Silver.

Also, there's plenty of great Canadian rock. The suggestion that people enjoy it because it's not American...the fuck are you even talking about.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The suggestion that people enjoy it because it's not American...the fuck are you even talking about.
Assuming people don't have bias towards Canadian artists is hilarious, it's very blatant and across all Canadian media, particularly Canadian musicians. There's good Canadian music out there, but the rep it gets for being Canadian alone is ridiculous, there's a very obvious inferiority complex going on.

Assuming people don't have bias towards Canadian artists is hilarious, it's very blatant and across all Canadian media, particularly Canadian musicians.

Exactly. The sort of ribbing of America, whether playful or insidious, is present within Canadian media, has been since the dawn of time really.

Once more, my opinion on Canadian rock is that it's a take it or leave it thing for me. I listened to the Hip, Rush, Guess Who, etc, and while I like specific songs, a lot of it isn't something I really enjoy.

So I enjoy other Canadian musicians in different genres.

In actual news:

There's this goddamn dog in my neighborhood that is left out in the backyard by it's owners and all it does is bark. Especially in the morning hours and at night, around 10:30-11:00. Just this deep barking that is driving me up the goddamn wall since I can barely get any sleep when it barks for hours on end.

Seriously considering getting the city involved.

Marvie_3

Banned
In actual news:

There's this goddamn dog in my neighborhood that is left out in the backyard by it's owners and all it does is bark. Especially in the morning hours and at night, around 10:30-11:00. Just this deep barking that is driving me up the goddamn wall since I can barely get any sleep when it barks for hours on end.

Seriously considering getting the city involved.
Just burn their house down. That will teach them.

Marvie_3

Banned
Well, that settles it, brb /s

I mean, I'm only here for another four weeks or so before I move out, but still, it's absolutely infuriating. You can still hear it bark even with my bedroom windows closed.
If you put a stop to it now, then the person moving in after you doesnt have to deal with it either.

Socreges

Banned
The comment was made in jest, Socreges.
Yes. The subtle /s did not elude me. But the principle "jest" lies in calling American rock "dirty" "dumb", suggesting you're mocking people that actually believe that.

Sarcasm is kinda lame, but it does require minimum nuance.

Assuming people don't have bias towards Canadian artists is hilarious, it's very blatant and across all Canadian media, particularly Canadian musicians. There's good Canadian music out there, but the rep it gets for being Canadian alone is ridiculous, there's a very obvious inferiority complex going on.
To be lectured about bias by Red_Man.

I am aware that the Hip will resonate with Canadians because of a certain nationalism. Identity to music. I'd never mean to suggest otherwise. The same forces that tie you to the Habs, etc.

Though:

"the rep it gets for being Canadian alone is ridiculous, there's a very obvious inferiority complex going on"

is a mysterious reaction to what is very good music.

Socreges

Banned
Cross-post

He saved his best for last. Glad I could
Witness it.
Man...

I recorded the entire thing. Watched about 2/3rds and then some friends came over and we went elsewhere. At about midnight my gf and I returned to the TV to watch the rest. I kept saying "Did I miss ahead by a century" "No it must be coming up" "Shit maybe they won't play it - weird" "Holy fuck, third encore. They're gonna play it" So amped. Then...the video ends. Reaches 2.5 hrs and just fucking ends. I was devastated. I was 12 or so when it was released and it brought me into that kind of soft folky rock music despite my age. My favourite Hip song and I'd missed it. I then read that they finished with it.

I am sad.

Otherwise a great concert. Still a wonderful performer.

Socreges

Banned
My wife set the timer for me and I imagine it will run out too. Must be on demand though?
Yeah, could be. I just downloaded it from the bay of pirates. Shrug. In the event that there isn't a DVD release.

Btw sorry about the prairies crack. I am aware there are good people like SCHUEY as well. ;)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, could be. I just downloaded it from the bay of pirates. Shrug. In the event that there isn't a DVD release.

Btw sorry about the prairies crack. I am aware there are good people like SCHUEY as well. ;)

Lol, no worries. I get a bit sensitive about the prairies, the CFL and Subban. Not my age though.

Top Bottom