• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT2| I Want off Marc Bergevin's Wild Ride.

For Canada that was 2016

our waifus banked some major medals

10a.jpg

Calamari41

41 > 38
This is a hell of a takedown of the IOC and the Rio olympics

well worth a read https://sports.vice.com/en_us/artic...fiable-human-disaster-and-so-are-the-olympics

About 70,000 people have been displaced—20,000 families—by the Olympics and its parallel but dubious "legacy" projects. Thousands of poor people—mostly black and mostly men—have been killed during "pacification" efforts to make the city appear peaceful, but the exact number is hard to determine.

This kind of thing is stunning.

They should just make the summer games permanently in Athens. Use the same infrastructure, the same venues, and have the same people running it. Costs would go down by orders of magnitude as time went on, and it would be a permanent economic boon to Greece. Upgrade facilities slowly over time, as they need to be upgraded, with the eventual profits from the games.

And yet nothing will change sadly. People will pass off the protesters of the Olympics and not care since they are "getting in the way of mah Olympics"

Cake Boss

Banned
The worst thing about it is at the end of the day the poor people will suffer the most because of the choices of some few rich assholes who already got theirs and dont give a fuck about the after fall.

zroid

Banned

They should just make the summer games permanently in Athens. Use the same infrastructure, the same venues, and have the same people running it. Costs would go down by orders of magnitude as time went on, and it would be a permanent economic boon to Greece. Upgrade facilities slowly over time, as they need to be upgraded, with the eventual profits from the games.

Yea I have advocated for, if not a singular venue, then a rotation of 3-4.

One of the more striking premises in this article is how, perhaps, that is exactly what the IOC doesn't want. They thrive off the corruption involved in bringing the games to a new city.

Even if they just built one Olympic facility on every continent and cycled through them costs would go down.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Yea I have advocated for, if not a singular venue, then a rotation of 3-4.

One of the more striking premises in this article is how, perhaps, that is exactly what the IOC doesn't want. They thrive off the corruption involved in bringing the games to a new city.

Even if they just built one Olympic facility on every continent and cycled through them costs would go down.

Yeah exactly. I used to be all for a rotation of Tokyo, LA, London, Moscow (or whatever), but someone suggested that Athens thing and it made even more sense. With the way the current leadership is, obviously there's no applying logic to this whole thing. When there are multiple billion dollar infrastructure and construction projects on the line, you're going to get a line of people willing to throw a few million dollars at the IOC members to ensure that they're the ones who get it.

It really hit me when I was watching the American trials before the games. The venues they were using were at least as good as any make-work Olympic venue I've seen in my lifetime. What's the difference between the University of Kansas aquatic center and the one they hastily built for Rio? Not much. Just use what we have! The Beijing Olympics did make a point of showcasing the stunning architecture, true, but once you got inside, you could have told people you were at UCLA and they would have believed it.

Top Bottom