• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT2| I Want off Marc Bergevin's Wild Ride.

iLLmAtlc

Yo imbask you are getting hosed paying $60 for 15mbps. Their margin on that is probably like 90%. Get on the phone and threaten to leaaaave.

zroid

Banned
Why Your Team Sucks: Winnipeg Jets

78 points, and out of a playoff spot. Remember how high everyone was on this team after ONE playoff appearance where they were unceremoniously swept? They got a second wildcard spot in 2015 basically because Dallas decided against playing defense, and LA and San Jose took the year off. How is that anything to be proud of? That's like bragging you beat your older brother at 1-on-1 when he was trying to let you win.

[Your coach is] Paul Maurice, who you probably forgot was still in the NHL. He gets some accolades for....well, not being offensively bad at his job. But he isn't good either. He just exists. He's that thing in the back of your fridge you bought for one meal and forgot was there for months. He is the mayonnaise of NHL head coaches, which is perfect for the home of the "white out" (in more context than one).

Anyway, here is a list of Paul Maurice's crowning achievements as a coach:

2002: somehow stumbled into a Stanley Cup Final and lost horribly.

2009: somehow stumbled into a conference final and lost horribly.

2015: somehow stumbled into the first round and lost horribly.

Well, dang; that's regression if I ever saw it.

Ondrej Pavelec? STILL? Man, that's just the hill you guys are gonna die on, isn't it? He's been better than a .906 SV% all of one year, but he's still here. He has one year left on his deal, at which point Winnipeg will likely move on from him finally. Isn't that just the saddest thing? Your team and Pavelec are like that loveless marriage that vows to stay together until the kids turn 18 and go off to college.

Your other major option here is Connor Hellebuyck, who has just 26 games of NHL experience. He does, however, lead NHL goaltenders in ear size. Look at this freak of nature!

photo.0.php

The future of the Jets is basically in the hands of a guy that looks like Sloth from The Goonies. And he's also way too cocky, which I'm sure Jets fans will love:

"I think I have the ability to someday become the best player in the NHL," Laine said at the NHL Scouting Combine on Saturday. "Maybe other guys are good at many different things, but not really good at one thing. I think I am. I think me and Matthews are quite even [at this stage in development]."

Geez. I give it about 1.5 years before the first Gary Lawless column decrying Laine for not being a team player and trying to run him out of town. Scratch that; 1.5 months.

You aren't the real Jets. Let's make that clear. The real Jets died a long, long time ago and moved to the desert in 1996. Those Jets have never- and will never- be replaced. Those Jets had Teemu and that cool picture of the Queen in their arena and Tie Domi in pizza commercials. Those were the real Jets.

You can try all you want, but you are not that iteration of the Jets. You are a parody. A spoof. Something trying way too hard to reclaim a legacy that isn't yours. The sad thing is that legacy wasn't even that great! The Jets 1.0 didn't win a playoff series after 1987. Those are your "good old" days.

fallout

78 points, and out of a playoff spot. Remember how high everyone was on this team after ONE playoff appearance where they were unceremoniously swept? They got a second wildcard spot in 2015 basically because Dallas decided against playing defense, and LA and San Jose took the year off. How is that anything to be proud of? That's like bragging you beat your older brother at 1-on-1 when he was trying to let you win.
You know, I remember being critical of the Jets performance in that series (other people were calling it "closer than it actually was") and getting shit on for it.

Stasis

wtf? lol.

I spoke to a Videotron Rep 2 weeks ago and told him "vmedia.ca" offers better price and speed with unlimited data and if I call them, it's a freaking Videotron technician that comes to my house to install it... soooo the rep checked the website, tallked to his superior and they decided to upgrade me to 120/50 for free. Weeeee! Was at 60/10 before.

Holy shit I'm trying this. I'm at 60/10 unlimited now. I wanna get that 120 but don't really feel like paying much more. Bill is already $200 for that and two cell plans. Not too keen on going above $200.

I should add I pay $65 for the 60/10 unlimited. It's more now but I've been with them forever with a perfect record of payment and I've always had a $200+ total bill. You can push for things. Cell packages are $55 each. Rest is basically taxes/whatever fees.

Calamari41

41 > 38
You know, I remember being critical of the Jets performance in that series (other people were calling it "closer than it actually was") and getting shit on for it.

I still say it was closer than it actually was. We had to come from behind at the last second to win all of those games except one I believe.

Quick

Banned
Just played NHL 17 for PS4 at Fan Expo.

Yep, same game as NHL 16. I'm assuming it's an older build since player models look low-res during actual gameplay.

imBask

Banned
Just played NHL 17 for PS4 at Fan Expo.

Yep, same game as NHL 16. I'm assuming it's an older build since player models look low-res during actual gameplay.

the only sports game I might buy this year is Fifa because they're changing the engine, hoping they'll do the the same with NHL next year

oh and MLB The Show but that's different, that game is actually good

Cake Boss

Banned
Just came back from MTL airport. Saw Marc Bergevin there landing grabbing some type of taxi. I wanted to shake his hand n thank him for trading PK away, but he looked like he was in a hurry. Maybe he was on his way to trade AGally too 🤗

Yawnier

Banned
I'll try one nearby and look at craigslist/kijiji and see what's available. If all else fails I'll go with these refurbished ones: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/ca/p....remap=false&productId=prod150198&categoryId=
If you have any local mom and pop gaming shops you might want to check there too. I got a couple of wii controllers for really cheap at a local gaming store
Just came back from MTL airport. Saw Marc Bergevin there landing grabbing some type of taxi. I wanted to shake his hand n thank him for trading PK away, but he looked like he was in a hurry. Maybe he was on his way to trade AGally too 🤗

Hopefully he got a call from Kris Russell's agent

zroid

Banned

:')

yyzjohn

Banned
Doesn't really matter what number Price wears does it? He'll probably be re-injured for the season in the first exhibition game.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I don't really care who wins, aslong as it isn't the US. It's unlikely, but the young guns team winning would be pretty cool.

imBask

Banned
my fear is that most players won't give a shit except the youngster team, and it'll ramp up the stupid Matthews hype a whole bunch

iLLmAtlc

I think NA has to be one of the favourites. This is a young man's game and their D is probably already the 2nd best behind Canada's:

Ekblad
Ghostbear
Paryako
Reilly
Trouba
S. Jones

And they have a lot of firepower too: Gaudreau, McDavid, Eichel, MacKinnon, Schiefele, Drouin, Saad.

I don't think any of the other teams are as deep as this besides Canada.

E: I think calling the D the 2nd best is a stretch given how beastly Sweden is, but yeah, still up there!

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Bought the RE 4 remake, the original is one of my all time favourites, back when I gamed a lot. I'm hoping it's held up.

I think NA has to be one of the favourites. This is a young man's game and their D is probably already the 2nd best behind Canada's:

Ekblad
Ghostbear
Paryako
Reilly
Trouba
S. Jones

And they have a lot of firepower too: Gaudreau, McDavid, Eichel, MacKinnon, Schiefele, Drouin, Saad.

I don't think any of the other teams are as deep as this besides Canada.

E: I think calling the D the 2nd best is a stretch given how beastly Sweden is, but yeah, still up there!

Ekblad - 2 seasons
Ghostbear - 1 season
Parayko - 1 season
Rielly - 3 seasons
Trouba - 3 seasons
Jones - 3 seasons

NA is good, but some of their players are sophomores.

Who knows though, a 2-week tournament in September without huge stakes; anything can happen.

PillarEN

I played it for the first time a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it, though there are some frustrating parts in it

Such as? I can imagine the enemies with guns being frustrating because of how the stop and shoot gameplay isn't ideal ehen you're being pelted with automatic weapons.

Yawnier

Banned
Such as? I can imagine the enemies with guns being frustrating because of how the stop and shoot gameplay isn't ideal ehen you're being pelted with automatic weapons.

Most of the trouble I had was in chapter 5. The
U3 boss
fight gave me trouble and the regenerators can be a pain in the ass to kill if you don't have incendiary grenades, and I found knocking them down and knifing them would only work half the time.

Top Bottom