• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT2| I Want off Marc Bergevin's Wild Ride.

Wow the Canucks won a pre-season game last night. Let's see some highlights:

http://www.tsn.ca/canucks-defeat-mcdavid-oilers-1.576011

-McDavid during the anthem. He was in the World Cup!
-McDavid tries to split the D but Edler takes him out.
-McDavid passes to Lucic but Lucic can't get a good shot.
-McDavid passes to Eberle on the PP but Eberle hits the post.
-McDavid passes to Lucic on the PP but Lucic shoots wide.
-McDavid skates through everyone but no one with him so his pass goes nowhere.
-McDavid and Lucic held pointless as Canucks win 5-3. Lucic: 1 shot, 21:39 TOI. McDavid: 2 shots, 23:05 TOI.
-McDavid gets interviewed.
-Infographic of McDavid and Lucic's stats.

Cake Boss

Banned
All pre season games does to me is make me wish the real shit starts sooner. Now we have to wait another week n half for it to start, watching useless hockey again, except this time not with the best players in the league,b it with AHL plugs with some NHL players playing meaningless games.

Preseason should be just 3 games in one week and that's it.

zroid

Banned
56443b05813643659464be59da65468a.png

/dead

imBask

Banned
I might be wrong, but I feel like pre-seasons are even less important nowadays since most teams already have all their contracts locked in and basically no room for players to steal a spot on the main roster

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

-McDavid and Lucic held pointless as Canucks win 5-3. Lucic: 1 shot, 21:39 TOI. McDavid: 2 shots, 23:05 TOI.
Did they compare his stats to Marner's? ;D

Solo

I don't see any reason for much optimism this year. It's not going to be a year like last year, but it is going to be a token Habs season like the past 6-7 were. They'll make the playoffs and win a round before being bounced unceremoniously. Price will be good enough to get them that far, but he alone cannot win them a cup. The team is nowhere near good enough to be a legit contender. I'm intrigued by Radulov, maybe even a little excited, but the Shaw pickup was atrocious, Weber will look bad sooner rather than later, our shit coach is still in power and thus AGALLY will be relegated to 2LW at the first sign of trouble. And frankly, we're still offensively anemic. Radulov is a true talent, but he's going to be sidled with Plekanec and Shaw. Good luck.

90 some points, 5th in the East, second round exit. Lather, rinse, repeat. Another in what has been too many consecutive years of not being built to win a Cup. Le sigh.

Best Habs team in 1 year tho.

Marvie_3

Banned
Yes I know the Devils had a far superior run. They're still the red headed step child ppl forget exists.

Also, Hawks cups in the last SIX years is 3. That's pretty awesome. Fuck you.
Calling the Devils the stepchild that people forgets is like a family forgetting about the sibling thats making 6 figures while they work at walmart.

Habs fans, I have to ask, if the French media segment start to poke holes within the franchise, and they start howling for Bergevin's or Michel's head, does Molson have to act? Or is it rather equal who starts the war chant?

Because I get the feeling that Geoff Molson really only acts up when the French portion of the fanbase is angry, because ultimately, they hold the cards in terms of fan share and in terms of power within.

It's gonna be very easy for me to spot rags fans. It could be a lot worse buddy, thank king hank you're not a flyers fan! Least you got to see the blueskirts buy a cup in 94!

yyzjohn

Banned

Friggin Edmonton Sports Network.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It's these types of games we lose so Debbies fans can take to the streets and parade around claiming to be the best NYC area team.

Looking forward to seeing the Vesey line. If that one can work and stick like the Kreider line with Buch I'd be ecstatic. Could be a fun season to watch, even if we end up mediocre overall due to obvious D weaknesses.
I don't see that Vesey line sticking together considering the players who have yet to return to the lineup, though I could see Hayes and Vesey being a duo.

So far, with very very limited playing time and more than half the potential team not even seeing the ice yet (meaning this could change wildly), the way I see the roster as of right now is something like:

Nash-Stepan-Zuccarello
Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Vesey-Hayes-Miller
Gerbe/Grabner-Jooris/Lindberg-Fast
Pirri

McDonagh-Clendening
Staal-Klein
Skjei-Girardi
Holden-McIlrath

Lundqvist
Raanta

That's, of course, about 2 names too many on the forwards and one too many on the defense. And I didn't even include Tanner Glass and Maxim Lapierre. :/

Lindberg may have to start on IR, which could help a little bit, and Jooris is injured, which might hurt his chances of making the cut. There aren't a lot of great options for 4C, though. As AV said today, Pirri only makes sense either in the top 9 or as the 13th forward, but there's nowhere for him to fit in the top 9 if Buch and Vesey actually make the cut, since they need to play every night wherever they land. Though having Pirri as a top 9 option may make them feel like they can leave Vesey or Buchnevich in Hartford for the start of the season and not rush them in. Could go either way. He certainly had tremendous chemistry with Kreider and Zibanejad. McIlrath SHOULD be making the team but might not have a chance to since I can't see him leapfrogging Klein and Girardi in the depth chart with AV in charge (though having Beukeboom around may help his chances), and Clendening may be too valuable an asset on the power play to not make the team if that first performance was anything to go off of.

Stasis

It's gonna be very easy for me to spot rags fans. It could be a lot worse buddy, thank king hank you're not a flyers fan! Least you got to see the blueskirts buy a cup in 94!

I just respond that way to Devils fans hatred. They've played that underdog in the city card so fucking often, so many hating the Rangers just because they're more central and get more attention it feels like. I don't even live in NYC anymore. I really do not care about the devils or see/hear anything about them locally. I live in Montreal now. They force feed Habs info into me every minute of every day here. That's my life. Don't really have that rivalry mentality I used to when I lived in new York. Kinda forget you exist until we play you, if I catch that game. No offense!

But thanks for being the new Osorio!

As to preseason, it's fun to see new players tested but that's it. I wish it was shorter too. And less thuggy. Too many needless injuries and reckless plays in meaningless games as guys try to prove themselves or get attention.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
My sword is with the Devils since Meta was a butthole and didnt wish me a happy birthday on the scoreboard.

it would be anyway. Fuck the rangers

Bruh, you haven't given me a ride once, and it's just a 20 minute walk for me to your parking lot.

imBask

Banned
Habs fans, I have to ask, if the French media segment start to poke holes within the franchise, and they start howling for Bergevin's or Michel's head, does Molson have to act? Or is it rather equal who starts the war chant?

Because I get the feeling that Geoff Molson really only acts up when the French portion of the fanbase is angry, because ultimately, they hold the cards in terms of fan share and in terms of power within.

Usually they all have to go at it, but this time is different because RDS old timers refuses to say anything bad about Therrien because he worked there. It's blatant, they don't even try to cover it up

Stasis

I don't see that Vesey line sticking together considering the players who have yet to return to the lineup, though I could see Hayes and Vesey being a duo.

So far, with very very limited playing time and more than half the potential team not even seeing the ice yet (meaning this could change wildly), the way I see the roster as of right now is something like:

Nash-Stepan-Zuccarello
Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Vesey-Hayes-Miller
Gerbe/Grabner-Jooris/Lindberg-Fast
Pirri

McDonagh-Clendening
Staal-Klein
Skjei-Girardi
Holden-McIlrath

Lundqvist
Raanta

That's, of course, about 2 names too many on the forwards and one too many on the defense. And I didn't even include Tanner Glass and Maxim Lapierre. :/

Yeah that looks about right (and good) for the top 9. Slot in Pirri as needed and if that PP unit keeps working. Movement up and down the first three based on hot/cold streaks. Some versatility and room for guys to grow. That's good.

Defense is kinda scary tbh. Doubt Clendening keeps that up. Pretty convinced McIlrath loses his spot, again, if anyone is even halfway decent on the right. Shame. Looking forward to seeing Holden and Graves tonight. Would like to see Paliotta too.

I can see how losing for so long can skew the minds of Rangers fans. They believe in what they want. For the most part devils fans are realists. We know our team is mediocre bottom team garbage right now. We accept it. Rags fans believe they're the best. Hank hasn't won shit, never will, no not every free agent wants to go play in the world's biggest dump, sorry.. I meant world greateat arena. I just want to thank all of you whom travel to Newark or shall I say all the rags fans living in NJ but parents brainwashed them to bleed blue and the to the 4 fans that come from actual NY. Cause if it weren't for you guys we may be in Nashville right now. So from the bottom of my heart thank you Rangers fans. Please keep filling our arena.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah that looks about right (and good) for the top 9. Slot in Pirri as needed and if that PP unit keeps working. Movement up and down the first three based on hot/cold streaks. Some versatility and room for guys to grow. That's good.

Defense is kinda scary tbh. Doubt Clendening keeps that up. Pretty convinced McIlrath loses his spot, again, if anyone is even halfway decent on the right. Shame. Looking forward to seeing Holden and Graves tonight. Would like to see Paliotta too.

Defense is definitely scary looking. Have to think Gorton is trying to leverage that overabundance of forwards into a better defensive option, but how much better can you really get when the ghost of Dan Girardi is occupying one of 3 right side slots.

Stasis

I can see how losing for so long can skew the minds of Rangers fans. They believe in what they want. For the most part devils fans are realists. We know our team is mediocre bottom team garbage right now. We accept it. Rags fans believe they're the best. Hank hasn't won shit, never will, no not every free agent wants to go play in the world's biggest dump, sorry.. I meant world greateat arena. I just want to thank all of you whom travel to Newark or shall I say all the rags fans living in NJ but parents brainwashed them to bleed blue and the to the 4 fans that come from actual NY. Cause if it weren't for you guys we may be in Nashville right now. So from the bottom of my heart thank you Rangers fans. Please keep filling our arena.

Jesus. I got nothing. Have fun with all that hate though!

Defense is definitely scary looking. Have to think Gorton is trying to leverage that overabundance of forwards into a better defensive option, but how much better can you really get when the ghost of Dan Girardi is occupying one of 3 right side slots.

Exactly. There's not much we can do, sadly. I don't believe all this "I'm rested, healed up, ready to be awesome!" stuff I keep hearing. Not one bit. The wonder twins™ will haunt us all year I'm wiling to bet just about anything. Hank is gonna have to get October form out of the way quickly or we'll need to score a billion goals a game to stay competitive for a playoff spot. And I don't think a Trouba or a Shattenkirk (which I see zero chance of happening anytime soon anyway...) is a miracle solution either. This will be a project. Hopefully we can stay decent up front and one of our goalie prospects pans out while we're somehow repairing the D corps.

I think we're in for a rough few years tbh. But again, I'm still excited to see our new forwards if camp/preseason thus far is even a slight indication of potential chemistry and play.

Pikma

Banned
Shaw is this years inflated blackhawks player who end up sucking elsewhere, and we're the yearly idiots who took the bait
Oh man I remember when they fooled us and took Garbutt, one of our biggest stars, just to end up giving us fucking Patrick Sharp.

We got robbed

Stasis

Calling the Devils the stepchild that people forgets is like a family forgetting about the sibling thats making 6 figures while they work at walmart.

My first job ever was at Walmart =/

I no longer work at Walmart. Movin' on up, to the East side. I finally got a piece of the pie!

Top Bottom