• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT2| I Want off Marc Bergevin's Wild Ride.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting that the Rangers signed Robin Kovacs to an ELC now. He had impressed during the development camp, but the expectation was that he would be going back to Europe for this season. Apparently now they're looking to bring him over to North America ahead of schedule.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
We got fleeced for sure, but this guy also called Weber a serviceable defenseman and merely average, so yea.

Socreges

Banned
Marc Bergevin should've traded PK for Ekblad.

Shea Weber is going to be a blight on our defence for many years to come and the fans will suffer for it.

WHY DIDNT WE GET ROMAN JOSI? Ugh
Why would Florida trade Ekblad for PK?

And Josi is a similar player to PK and makes half as much. Nashville wouldn't do that trade.

Habs got fleeced, don't get me wrong, but PK wasn't some incredible asset that could be flipped for whatever dream defenseman you wanted.

RC

Banned
Had my Habs friend tell me how right Bergavin was in trading Subban.
Apparently Subban was a "show boating locker-room cancer." I really need better friends.

Mentok

Banned
I've always chalked up the Bettman hate partly as a giant bandwagon where it's just become a thing that people do for possibly no reason at all, and this may be true for some.

For some this is true, but for others (such as me) it stems back for a while. Bettman has expanded into the US, and it cannot be stressed that he did pull in new markets (SJ being a hotbed?! Who knew!), but there's a lot to not like:

-He's had 3 lock-outs in his tenure, in which they sidestepped key issues just to end the lock-out, only to cause problems in the next CBA.
-Sure he had success in some markets, but he pushed expansion into nontraditional markets where we have teams that year-after-year are in deficit. He's still expanding the league, rather than trimming the fat. If I'm not mistaken, most of his expansion teams have come in at the lowest attendance and profit margin.
-Owners with money, not stability. Bettman has a track record of approving owners who "play ball", but aren't stable long-term. See Atlanta, McNall.
-He has sidestepped serious issues with a "politician" answer, usually in a smug way.
-Constant changes to the on-ice product of the game, which is usually done without any long-term analysis (foot-in-crease rule, the points system, etc). It's hard to draw in new fans when you keep changing the game as though it's new and not established.

There's more, but those are some big ones.

zroid

Banned
We got fleeced for sure, but this guy also called Weber a serviceable defenseman and merely average, so yea.

I was discussing this a little bit on Twitter. I don't agree with the assertion that Weber is "merely average", but the reactionary choice Bergevin made to let go of Pfeffer is 100% indicative of the backwards mentality many NHL clubs still have when it comes to advanced analysis.

The whole point of hiring a person like that is to challenge existing beliefs. Unless there's reason to believe he was manipulating his data poorly, then he was literally doing his job. You don't have to take the advice, but if you're rejecting it off-hand then you've lost the plot.

yyzjohn

Banned
Had my Habs friend tell me how right Bergavin was in trading Subban.
Apparently Subban was a "show boating locker-room cancer." I really need better friends.

Just wait until Habs fans get a load of good old Ontario boy Shea Weber!*

* not an Ontario boy

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
For some this is true, but for others (such as me) it stems back for a while. Bettman has expanded into the US, and it cannot be stressed that he did pull in new markets (SJ being a hotbed?! Who knew!), but there's a lot to not like:

-He's had 3 lock-outs in his tenure, in which they sidestepped key issues just to end the lock-out, only to cause problems in the next CBA.
-Sure he had success in some markets, but he pushed expansion into nontraditional markets where we have teams that year-after-year are in deficit. He's still expanding the league, rather than trimming the fat. If I'm not mistaken, most of his expansion teams have come in at the lowest attendance and profit margin.
-Owners with money, not stability. Bettman has a track record of approving owners who "play ball", but aren't stable long-term. See Atlanta, McNall.
-He has sidestepped serious issues with a "politician" answer, usually in a smug way.
-Constant changes to the on-ice product of the game, which is usually done without any long-term analysis (foot-in-crease rule, the points system, etc). It's hard to draw in new fans when you keep changing the game as though it's new and not established.

San Jose was not Bettman's doing.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
The anime on ESPN appearance was achieved last year when they showed Millia's double super though!

:lol

Was that before or after this?

Gtw6vcO.jpg

Quick

Banned
Absolutely it is true for some, but most of it comes down to hyper-nationalism from Canadian pundits, who see Bettman's moves into America is evil when in reality it's the right thing to do consider: A, the CAD is in the tank, and B: the game is growing in multiple areas.

Granted, his comments on concussions and the salary issue are bad, I won't defend those, but for the most part, Bettman has done a good job in solidifying the game in the US with a TV contract with one of the big 4 TV networks, continued to grow the game other then in the Northeastern US, and made the NHL into a league on the up and up with the younger crowd.

I figured there's this huge backlash from Canadians who prefer most teams to be relocated to rural Ontario or something. lol

I can see where you're going with most of these, but "Constant changes to the on-ice product" is maybe where the league has been better at in recent years.

Changes from before and after the 2005-06 lockout were drastic, but changes moving forward from that point haven't been as major. But again, I don't know Bettman's body of work from pre-2005-06 lockout too much, so I might not have much of a foothold on this.

I'm curious, but does anyone here cars for the World Cup of Hockey? I certainly don't.

I have mild interest in it. At least it's some hockey, maybe better than a prolonged pre-season.

iLLmAtlc

Yeah I feel like it's become cool to talk about how underrated Bettman is. He's done an ok job I guess, but I think they could still do a lot better.

When Gretzky got to America the sport was white hot. Sports illustrated ran an article that said why the NHL is hot and the NBA is not after the Rangers won the Stanley cup. The league capitalized on this with a lockout and the rest is history. NBA recently signed a $24B TV contract and the NHL's was at $2B a few years ago.

So sure the NHL has seen a lot of growth but it's been nothing compared to the other leagues.

But the owners would never fire him. The whole ownership process is rigged to keep Bettman in forever. These are all his guys, and they had to play by his rules to get in. Just look at what happened to the blackberry guy for trying his own way.

WTF. Brassard is older.

Then again there's been questions on Zibanejad's commitment to hockey and um fitness.

I wonder if they didn't like his offseason training so far.

They're trying to find a fit for Bobby Ryan. Mika and him just could never click.

That too. Him and Babby were like oil and water on the ice.

Brassard is a leftie and Babby shoots right, that's better right there.

Silexx

Oh yeah, also budget is a factor here. Brassard making $9mil over next 3 years. Mika is due for a pay hike after this year.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Wait a minute, when the hell was that? Also, there's something in the ticker that says something about Shero and Devils president Lamoriello.

And this was July 21st.

Early May, so a bit before yeah.

Video can't be viewed in the US Probably got flagged because of 2hou

Socreges

Banned
Oh yeah, also budget is a factor here. Brassard making $9mil over next 3 years. Mika is due for a pay hike after this year.
$5m cap hit, but yeah the signing bonus of $8m is already paid so it makes him cheaper

Sens ownership is hilarious as a non-fan

Curufinwe

$5m cap hit, but yeah the signing bonus of $8m is already paid so it makes him cheaper

Only half of it, but that means Ottawa will only have to pay him $10m over the next three seasons.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/derick-brassard

Sens don't care about cap hit, they just care about real dollars for their budget. Brassard salary over next 3 is $5m, $3.5m, $3.5m.

$2m of the $5m for 16-17 was as signing bonus which the Rangers presumably paid Brassard on July 1st.

Top Bottom