• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT2| I Want off Marc Bergevin's Wild Ride.

Marvie_3

Banned
I could be wrong, but I remember the same proposal was brought up to have the Islanders play in a new arena in Queens as an alternative to the Lighthouse project. Nothing official, might've been purely speculative or hopeful.
It was rumored a long time ago. Better have my parking spot in the plans.

No. That would have been an opportunity, not an incident.
:lol

Whatever the fuck is happening next to Citi Field looks like a prime arena location.

edit: That is if they aren't going to tear down the old Coliseum and build a new one there (would be the best plan IMO, stick out Brooklyn for 3 more years and then move back)
Fuck that.

This might be nothing, but a Canucks writer suggested they are trying to trade Tanev

Tanev is 26 and on a very good deal. The Hall deal changes things, but Edmonton was desperate and overpaid. You won't see a Hall-like return even though Tanev is better than Larsson.

It's something to think about though. Will the team be competitive in the next 5 years, when Tanev will be over 30? I think they'll need him (or Edler) as the veteran presence, as Juolevi will be coming up. Edler seems like the easier guy to trade, anyway.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
don't talk to me or my son city ever again

nhl_fans640.jpg

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Oilers canned an analytics guy. Probably he disagreed with the Hall trade. (my speculation)
I believe he was a big fan of them getting Mark Fayne who...hasn't exactly had an all star career there.
Tanev is 26 and on a very good deal. The Hall deal changes things, but Edmonton was desperate and overpaid. You won't see a Hall-like return even though Tanev is better than Larsson.

It's something to think about though. Will the team be competitive in the next 5 years, when Tanev will be over 30? I think they'll need him (or Edler) as the veteran presence, as Juolevi will be coming up. Edler seems like the easier guy to trade, anyway.
Yeah, but to trade to a divisional rival though...

I really do think Ol Petey was looking for a team in the East. Hall isn't a player you want to face a bunch.

zroid

Banned

Tanev for JVR plz

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
Well, if we're talking about nationally televised games...

Dallas Stars said:
Sun., Feb. 26 vs. Boston, 11:30am CT, NBC

Mon., March 6 @ Washington, 6:30pm CT, NBCSN (originally scheduled for a 6:00pm CT start)

Thu., March 30 @ Boston, 6:30pm CT, NBCSN (originally scheduled for a 6:00pm CT start)

Thu., April 6 vs. Nashville, 7:00pm CT, NBCSN (originally scheduled for a 7:30pm CT start)

Three out four against the Eastern conference, two against the Bruins.

zroid

Banned
By the way, Tyler Dellow was let go by the Oilers

interesting that the two teams with the most controversial trades from an analytics standpoint this off-season both parted ways with their analytics consultants

anyway, I hope he comes back to twitter, I enjoy his Toronto FC rants

calder

By the way, Tyler Dellow was let go by the Oilers

interesting that the two teams with the most controversial trades from an analytics standpoint this off-season both parted ways with their analytics consultants

anyway, I hope he comes back to twitter, I enjoy his Toronto FC rants

Yeah, it's almost as if some (most?) teams actually don't want dissenting opinions in the room they just want guys who'll agree with the GM. Especially teams that make terrible trades.

Also, if analytics were actually useful a stats guy that no one apparently listens to anyway should be able to single handedly turn a horrible, 30th place team around in no more than 2 years I'm sure.

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
At least we're not stuck with Stars vs Wild anymore.

When's our outdoor game happening tho?

Whenever Austin/Corpus Christi/El Paso/Fort Worth/Houston/Lubbock/Rio Grand Valley/San Antonio/Waco all finally get their teams.

Which is probably never.

Yeah, but to trade to a divisional rival though...

I really do think Ol Petey was looking for a team in the East. Hall isn't a player you want to face a bunch.

Hall for Tanev would never have happened. I highly doubt Tanev was being shopped, and Edmonton was rumoured to not be offering Hall until Shero asked.

And yes there was the divisional factor.

Tanev for JVR plz

Don't the Leafs already have enough #1 defencemen?

Yeah, it's almost as if some (most?) teams actually don't want dissenting opinions in the room they just want guys who'll agree with the GM. Especially teams that make terrible trades.

Also, if analytics were actually useful a stats guy that no one apparently listens to anyway should be able to single handedly turn a horrible, 30th place team around in no more than 2 years I'm sure.

There's a reason why Arizona canned Maloney for Chayka. A lot of GMs are old school and rate players on their own instincts and scouting (aka "Can't teach size!")

Some analyst coming in with a bunch of graphs and spreadsheets they don't understand to begin with and then telling them they're wrong probably pisses them off to no end.

As for analytics turning a team around in two years that really depends on their roster and what moves are available etc. I doubt it's that straightforward for the basement dwelling teams.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
There's a reason why Arizona canned Maloney for Chayka. A lot of GMs are old school and rate players on their own instincts and scouting (aka "Can't teach size!")

Some analyst coming in with a bunch of graphs and spreadsheets they don't understand to begin with and then telling them they're wrong probably pisses them off to no end.

As for analytics turning a team around in two years that really depends on their roster and what moves are available etc. I doubt it's that straightforward for the basement dwelling teams.
Dis sheit dun tells me ow much rispek e as!

iLLmAtlc

I think the Tanev stuff was just Botchford making a possible case for trading him based on what Larsson got. Not that he's heard he's on the market or anything.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

I suspect that last paragraph was sarcasm due to Pierre McGuire's dumb ass stating analytics didn't help Edmonton.

Top Bottom