• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT2| I Want off Marc Bergevin's Wild Ride.

Socreges

Banned
Serious question: Is Auston Matthews ever happy? In some most all photos of him trying to smile it comes off looking so forced. Has European hockey crushed his soul?
He used to smile. And laugh. Hasn't since April 30th or so. Not sure what happened to the kid, but he's clearly been suffering from depression ever since.

Cake Boss

Banned
What are you prepared to pay a guy on your bottom 6 that may or may not get 20 points? His numbers from the previous 2 seasons were probably higher than they should be since he would have played many games in the top 6.

I didn't know he played in top 6. For a 25-30 point guy I say between 1.5M-2.5M a year on a 1-3 years.

yyzjohn

Banned
I didn't know he played in top 6. For a 25-30 point guy I say between 1.5M-2.5M a year on a 1-3 years.

This is the issue, you pay him money thinking he'll produce 25-30 but if he's playing far less minutes and no PP time, he's not going to give you those numbers. He's a guy that can move up in your lineup on a temporary basis, but I just don't know where he fits. As a bottom 6 guy he may produce the same as your boy Lazar.

Cake Boss

Banned
This is the issue, you pay him money thinking he'll produce 25-30 but if he's playing far less minutes and no PP time, he's not going to give you those numbers. He's a guy that can move up in your lineup on a temporary basis, but I just don't know where he fits. As a bottom 6 guy he may produce the same as your boy Lazar.

My boy Lazar has also been given opportunity to move up the line up, same with Chiasson, gave plenty of top 6 and top PP minutes and they had nothing to show for it. I get what you are saying but if a person shows that they can also produce a bit against tougher competition than most likely not they can produce a bit against lesser competition in the bottom 6.

I think the guy has earned at least a one way one year deal at $1M show me contract instead of low balling a 2 way at him. That's all I am saying.

zroid

Banned
I think the guy has earned at least a one way one year deal at $1M show me contract instead of low balling a 2 way at him. That's all I am saying.

I agree. And I would definitely prefer Holland in my lineup than, say, Matt Martin. So it goes, though.

yyzjohn

Banned
I agree. And I would definitely prefer Holland in my lineup than, say, Matt Martin. So it goes, though.

The Leafs have a ton of guys that can play in the bottom 6 though.

Leivo, Martin, Laich, Greening, Hyman, Rychel, Sochnikov, Leipsic.

Then you have other young guys you may want to give a top 6 shot at like Connor Brown, Kapanen, where the hell does Holland fit in?

Yawnier

Banned
I don't hate Holland like Dopey does but I've always been meh on him. His inconsistency most of the time makes him one of the more frustrating players on the team to watch for me.

Stasis

Farnham is a very popular micro-brewery beer around here, i'm guessing that influenced his decision to sign this guy

It's named after and made in a small ass hick town on the South Shore where my friends used to own an Irish themed pub lol. It's not bad. Bobby is definitely going to get some endorsement deal. Then again I'm guessing Molson won't allow that. Nm. It'd be so perfect though.

zroid

Banned
The Leafs have a ton of guys that can play in the bottom 6 though.

Leivo, Martin, Laich, Greening, Hyman, Rychel, Sochnikov, Leipsic.

Then you have other young guys you may want to give a top 6 shot at like Connor Brown, Kapanen, where the hell does Holland fit in?

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe he should be gifted a NHL job before training camp. But I don't think there was any need to waive him or not give him a one way contract.
And I'm still bitter about Matt Martin

Anyways, Connor Carrick 2 year deal. I like it.

yyzjohn

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I don't believe he should be gifted a NHL job before training camp. But I don't think there was any need to waive him or not give him a one way contract.

It'll all become clear once we sign Jimmy Vesey.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
2 years, $2.6m AAV for Kevin Hayes

Good number. Rangers are now done with their RFAs and have a 48 hour window for buyouts in case they changed their minds about Girardi.
They haven't.

Vyse24

Yup. It's sliiiightly higher than I would have wanted for AAV since I was hoping for <$4.5m, but at least it's lower than the Palmieri contract. Apparently the Rangers wanted to sign him for 5 years but Kreider insisted on 4 to get to free agency sooner. Now he goes to free agency in what could be a lockout year.

That leaves Hayes, and I genuinely have no idea what they think his value should be right now. I could see the team offering him anywhere from Tanner Glass money to Chris Kreider money.

Well we have an answer. They signed Hayes to a 2-year deal with an AAV of $2.6m according to Aaron Ward.

And sniped.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I know it's cool to hate on the World Cup, but I'm actually pretty excited for it, particularly the young guns team. Seeing Price play again will pretty great too.

Shea Weber will fall on one of his knees
I was told Weber will use his size to prevent Carey from ever being injured again.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Martin supposedly is a good defensive player. Would it hurt that much to bury a guy in our defensive zone who knows what he's doing to help us get it out? Holland is more of an offensive player though we have too many of those and he's not going to get much time in the opposing zone.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The Rangers now have a suspiciously large amount of cap space with all their signings effectively done. They have about $3m in space, potentially more, depending on who goes up or down and how many defensemen they choose to carry.

Curious what they're up to.

calder

I know it's cool to hate on the World Cup, but I'm actually pretty excited for it, particularly the young guns team. Seeing Price play again will pretty great too.

I miss hockey pretty bad right now. Late summer before the MLB playoff races take shape is just the worst for sports fans, bring on the Whatever The Hell They're Calling This Thing Now Tournament!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
What are your thoughts of the Rangers going hard for Shattenkirk?
One of Staal or Girardi would have to go in order for it to be plausible. Shattenkirk would become easily the highest paid defensemen on a team with an already expensive defense corps after he signs his extension/new contract, so one of those contracts has to go. Otherwise it's a non-starter.

calder

The Rangers now have a suspiciously large amount of cap space with all their signings effectively done. They have about $3m in space, potentially more, depending on who goes up or down and how many defensemen they choose to carry.

&#8220;You know, a Rangers team with cap space's a little like a mule with a spinning wheel. No one knows how he got it, and danged if he knows how to use it!&#8221; - Glen Sather, 2009

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

I hear Kris Russell is still available...

zroid

Banned

I was told Weber will use his size to prevent Carey from ever being injured again.

When they first told us about the young guns team, I thought it was the stupidest shit. But right now it's the thing I'm most interested in for this tourney. If they perform well it's gonna be awesome. :D (and this has nothing to do with Matthews, I swear. lol. I kind of wish he was going to training camp instead tbh).

Martin supposedly is a good defensive player. Would it hurt that much to bury a guy in our defensive zone who knows what he's doing to help us get it out? Holland is more of an offensive player though we have too many of those and he's not going to get much time in the opposing zone.

Weeelll, Martin is a "good shot suppressor" but there's questions about how reliable that data is for a player who faces weak competition in 4th line minutes. I mean, I'm not a Matt Martin hater, I just think the contract is an abomination.

yyzjohn was not wrong about Holland being a poor man's Kadri. He's an adequate depth two-way centre. Ideally you want all 12 of your forwards to be an offensive threat, even if they aren't in an offensive role.

iLLmAtlc

so yall saying Matthews will be a 10 million per year player who's never scored a point per game in a full season before? I can dig it.

Man oh man gaming...&#128528;

I dug your thread. I think it would make it much more interesting. I really would love to see 3 protags GTA V style with a Native american, slave, and maybe the prototypical cowboy or outlaw and how they all interact and what not.

But if it is just one I think a slave/ex-slave would make it much more interesting.

Also lol at only white guys can be gunslingers

I dug your thread. I think it would make it much more interesting. I really would love to see 3 protags GTA V style with a Native american, slave, and maybe the prototypical cowboy or outlaw and how they all interact and what not.

But if it is just one I think a slave/ex-slave would make it much more interesting.

Also lol at only white guys can be gunslingers

Gaming side is really weird in that I am fairly certain that most people haven't stepped outside their little gaming bubble in years.

This isn't the 90's anymore where you can get away with shit like what was going on in Cake Boss' thread.

Cake Boss

Banned
I should have worded that differently &#128579;.

What I meant to say was essentially Django didn't dive too deep into the issues at that times as some the other movies like 12 years a slave did, which I think had a stronger message. Django was more action based, had humor and stylistic shooter movie.

But yes I agree, there was a political message in Django.

Yooo someone take me our of that thread, I can't stop looking at it. It legit got hijacked &#128546;

Quick

Banned
I just skimmed your Gaming side thread, Cake Boss.

The gymnastics involved in there is hilarious. Also lol at "what's wrong with white protagonists?"

What I also hate is when people bring up that better mechanics and story should be priority for a game, but doesn't seem to realize that you can have all of that and have a minority character. That's almost like some Fox News kind of explanation of not politicizing gun violence anytime shootings happen.

imBask

Banned
I just skimmed your Gaming side thread, Cake Boss.

The gymnastics involved in there is hilarious. Also lol at "what's wrong with white protagonists?"

What I also hate is when people bring up that better mechanics and story should be priority for a game, but doesn't seem to realize that you can have all of that and have a minority character. That's almost like some Fox News kind of explanation of not politicizing gun violence anytime shootings happen.

you CAN have a minority character, but not including one doesn't make your game any less good, or racist, or sexist. I think that's what some of them are trying to say, because there's a lot of "diversity for diversity sake" arguments on the gaming side

that being said i'd play the SHIT out of a Red Dead Django. That would be a dope ass setup

Top Bottom