• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

imBask

Banned
I would also like to point out that the left side of our defence needs help. God damn does it need help. Look at this shit

Markov Weber
Jerabek (?) Petry
Emelin Benn

It's fucking putrid. Markov is on the verge of retirement in a few years, Emelin is as dumb as a wall, and Jerabek is just starting his NHL career from the KHL.

That's why we need to trade Galchenyuk, hopefully for a left handed Defenceman and a promising forward.

I know I don't like Brian Wilde but he had a interesting tweet the other day about Montreal looking at the Islanders protected defence and then some.

Penguins just won the cup with a top pairing of Brian Dumoulin - Ron Hainsey

we need to front load this team just like everyone else is doing

PillarEN

Doan was pretty upset with the direction of Arizona anyways. Can't blame him considering his age. Still a sad moment seeing a lifelong not staying till the bitter end.

Cake Boss

Banned
I would also like to point out that the left side of our defence needs help. God damn does it need help. Look at this shit

Markov Weber
Jerabek (?) Petry
Emelin Benn

It's fucking putrid. Markov is on the verge of retirement in a few years, Emelin is as dumb as a wall, and Jerabek is just starting his NHL career from the KHL.

That's why we need to trade Galchenyuk, hopefully for a left handed Defenceman and a promising forward.

I know I don't like Brian Wilde but he had a interesting tweet the other day about Montreal looking at the Islanders protected defence and then some.

Top 4 Benn can't even crack that putrid Top 4.

Curufinwe

I did the TSN mock draft. They should be able to trade dmen like TVR or Dotchin if there's not enough room for them on the roster.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/assemble-the-knights/user-pick?UserName=BDASUDZA

Wilson-Shipachyov-Eaves
Eakin-Marchessault-Stempniak
Raffl-Karlsson-Brouwer
Dano-Shore-Burmistrov
Jaskin, Skille, Khaira

Methot-Martin
De Haan-Dumba
Davidson-McQuaid
Ouelett-Dotchin
Marincin-TVR
Merrill

MAF, Raanta
Grubauer, Pickard (trade bait)
Ullmark (AHL)
Forwards: 14 of 14 (min)
Defense: 11 of 9 (min)
Goalies: 5 of 3 (min)
Total Players: 30 of 30
#UC17 :28 of 20 (min)
Salary Cap: $73,000,000
Cap Hit: $57,799,167
Salary Space: $15,200,833
Salary Cap%: 79 (60% to 100%)
Valid Team

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I would give him one more year but he's had too many fucking chances. The only reason why he got demoted to the fourth line because he didn't give a shit. That's his problem, his work ethic.

He needs to get out of Montreal and we need to trade him before his Value drops. If we can't find a suitor that can help now then just sign him for just one more year.

Here's my problem with this argument;

Galchenyuck would have a fantastic run of games at centre on the top line, then he'd go 2-3 games without a point, or Pacioretty would go 5 games without scoring and he'd got moved to another line.

Danault at one point went 19 games without scoring a goal but didn't get demoted because Pacioretty and Radulov were scoring without his help.

"At least Danault hustles" was a common argument made against Galchenyuck by people who look at the game through the same lens as Michel Therrien.

Was he great defensively? Fuck no, but at least he has talent and I'm tired of seeing talent traded, and we're about to lose Radulov as well.

imBask

Banned
"At least Danault hustles" was a common argument made against Galchenyuck by people who look at the game through the same lens as Michel Therrien.

Backhanding that as "Michel Therrien"-ism is just as much bullshit as what you're calling out. Danault was working hard even when he struggled, unlike the golden boy who was too hungover to do anything about it

That being said trading him will be a mistake and he will explode elsewhere and i'd rather keep him for now especially with Beaulieu gone, but that's probably not happening

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I did the TSN mock draft. They should be able to trade dmen like TVR or Dotchin if there's not enough room for them on the roster.

there's going to be a shit ton of trades because pretty much the majority of players available will need waivers

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Sounds like Bergevin doesn't know what he wants to do and is planning for all scenarios. What a clown. Watch him sign AGally to an 8 year extension and then turn around and trade him to Arizona.
Sounds like he's exploring every option and finding the best solution, like what GMs are suppose to do.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Backhanding that as "Michel Therrien"-ism is just as much bullshit as what you're calling out. Danault was working hard even when he struggled, unlike the golden boy who was too hungover to do anything about it

That being said trading him will be a mistake and he will explode elsewhere and i'd rather keep him for now especially with Beaulieu gone, but that's probably not happening

I'm sure Dwight King was trying his hardest out there too. I'm tired of "hard-workers", I want scorers.

It must be frustrating being him and getting demoted constantly when you have one bad game, or getting called out by your coach publically while the Captain is dragging the entire line down with his awful play for weeks.

Red_Man

You guys keep forgetting too that Bergevin has directly said they will try Drouin at centre

Solo

I think that's the most frustrating part of the AGally saga. Pleks being dogshit for a calendar year? Never called out. Pacioretty floating for 20 game stretches/never showing up for playoffs? Never called out. Danault scoring 1 goal in 20 games? Never called out. Gallagher regressing to an AHLer? Never called out. Radulov running out of steam the last 30 games of the season? Never called out. The "golden boy" as bask likes to call him? Called out immediately each and every time he makes a mistake. Confidence is so key with young players and I'd be shocked if AGally's weren't almost completely crushed by this point. I'm with lamaroo - I'm tired of trading talent. Julien can teach the defensive side of the game to him. His raw skills make him the most talented (or second, after Radulov) player on the team. You don't just throw that away because he hasn't developed as fast as they wanted.

imBask

Banned
I'm sure Dwight King was trying his hardest out there too. I'm tired of "hard-workers", I want scorers.

It must be frustrating being him and getting demoted constantly when you have one bad game, or getting called out by your coach publically while the Captain is dragging the entire line down with his awful play for weeks.

please don't mention Dwight King i'm trying to forget

You guys keep forgetting too that Bergevin has directly said they will try Drouin at centre

please don't mention that quote i'm trying to forget

Solo

I swear to fuck, if they pull the same shit with Drouin as they did Galchenyuk.......

Drouin is a playmaking winger. Let him play that and do that. I've heard people say that AGally plays centre like a winger and that Drouin plays winger like a centre, so therefore why not flip flop their positions. But I'm pretty sure the numbers bear out that both are more effective at their chosen position. Enough is enough with this goddamn position juggling, square peg in a round hole act.

ZeroGravity

Drouin's played almost zero minutes at center in the NHL. He didn't even play center last year when we had four of them on the injured list.

Mentok

Banned
Looking for a strong left-handed defenseman+? I don't think AGally gets you that. You know who might? Patches. I know, I know, trading a 30+ goal-scorer on a score-starved team, etc. But honestly, I think the return would be much better (especially when you factor in how cap friendly his contract currently is).

Red_Man

Looking for a strong left-handed defenseman+? I don't think AGally gets you that. You know who might? Patches. I know, I know, trading a 30+ goal-scorer on a score-starved team, etc. But honestly, I think the return would be much better (especially when you factor in how cap friendly his contract currently is).
Patches trade talks give me ulcers

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

I still don't know how to feel about a potential Pacioretty trade. Not potential as it's likely to happen since coaches and management love the guy, but the thought of what he could get in return really intrigues me.

Mentok

Banned
Patches trade talks give me ulcers

Moreso than losing AGally (and YET another player proving the farm system is broken)?

I still don't know how to feel about a potential Pacioretty trade. Not potential as it's likely to happen since coaches and management love the guy, but the thought of what he could get in return really intrigues me.

Again, as much as they love him, the potential return has to be weighted. I definitely see a better return than Gally will get.

Red_Man

Moreso than losing AGally (and YET another player proving the farm system is broken)?
I don't think either should be traded, but for a team that needs scoring you don't move one of the best scorers in the league on one of the best contracts in the league.

Solo

I'd love to trade Patches. Yes, he's maybe an elite scorer, but he's soft as butter, floats most of the time, was - yet again - completely invisible in the playoffs. He's not a guy who leads you to a Stanley Cup. Not to mention that come his next contract, he's going to get severely overpaid, even moreso due to how severely underpaid he has been. And when he gets that new contract in a year coincides pretty nicely with the typical age of a steep decline in production. I'd flip him in a heartbeat if he could be part of getting a top 4 LHD. Drouin can slot in for him at 1LW and Weber can have the C. I'm pretty confident that Drouin getting first line minutes and #1PP time can produce as many if not more points than Casperetty.

Sadly it won't happen. Management loves him.

JzbGhjr.jpg

+1 Follower.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'd love to trade Patches. Yes, he's maybe an elite scorer, but he's soft as butter, floats most of the time, was - yet again - completely invisible in the playoffs. He's not a guy who leads you to a Stanley Cup. Not to mention that come his next contract, he's going to get severely overpaid, even moreso due to how severely underpaid he has been. And when he gets that new contract in a year coincides pretty nicely with the typical age of a steep decline in production. I'd flip him in a heartbeat if he could be part of getting a top 4 LHD. Drouin can slot in for him at 1LW and Weber can have the C. I'm pretty confident that Drouin getting first line minutes and #1PP time can produce as many if not more points than Casperetty.

Sadly it won't happen. Management loves him.

Top 4 is a bit too broad, you don't trade him unless you're getting a difference maker on the back-end.

Mentok

Banned
I don't think either should be traded, but for a team that needs scoring you don't move one of the best scorers in the league on one of the best contracts in the league.
Solo summed up my feelings perfectly. He's like Kessel. Not a guy to build a team around, but a talent with value. If he can get us a top line LHD or centre + (the + being key here), I think they should do it. The Habs don't have a lot of assets that can get a significant return, but it's clear their status quo won't get the job done.

Red_Man

Solo summed up my feelings perfectly. He's like Kessel. Not a guy to build a team around, but a talent with value. If he can get us a top line LHD or centre + (the + being key here), I think they should do it. The Habs don't have a lot of assets that can get a significant return, but it's clear their status quo won't get the job done.
If they move him it would have to be for a very prime return, not a top 4. The way people undervalue him is ridiculous.

Alucard

Banned
Good guy Marc-Andre Fleury finances a playground in Pittsburgh even though he's likely on his way to Vegas.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...cial&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1497898133

He’s the sort of guy that gets called “one of the best humans there is” by Scott Wilson. Or, “the type of guy that I want in my life at all times,” like Brian Dumoulin said.

He and his wife, Veronique, financed it themselves.

“It’s been something we’ve been thinking about for a little while, and we were just thinking about something to give back,” Fleury said, according to a release on the team’s website. “The people of Pittsburgh have been so good to me, so to build something fun, something for the kids, I’m glad it all came out and the kids seem to like it.”

“I just can’t wait to see the kids get in there and have fun,” Veronique Fleury said. “We’ve been in Pittsburgh for about 14 years, and now having kids, we just know kids are our future. So we wanted to give something back to the community and we thought kids would be a great idea, and a playground, all the kids love it.”

Solo

If they move him it would have to be for a very prime return, not a top 4. The way people undervalue him is ridiculous.

You aren't getting a king's ransom for a 28 year old volume shooter on an expiring contract, one who is 1 year away from his next contract, which will be his albatross contract. You just aren't.

That's the logical reason they're shopping AGally, I guess. He's still very cost controlled and 5 years younger.

Red_Man

You aren't getting a king's ransom for a 28 year old volume shooter on an expiring contract, one who is 1 year away from his next contract, which will be his albatross contract. You just aren't.

That's the logical reason they're shopping AGally, I guess. He's still very cost controlled and 5 years younger.
So they why are you moving the 3rd best goal scorer of the last 5 years?

Marvie_3

Banned
Long sleeves in Vegas? Yuck

Even in the middle of the night in the winter time it's still shorts weather

I can see it for people like my mom, who is one of those weird people who would wear long sleeves on the surface of the sun and still complain about the cold.

Top Bottom