• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

RC

Banned

I'm from Vancouver.

Denver Botanic Gardens if you can catch them before they close. Steuben's downtown is a fantastic diner but probably very busy around 5. There's a Voodoo Doughtnuts that is dumb and touristy. If you have the time and there's a show scheduled before you leave, try to catch something at Red Rock's Amphitheater. There are a few other Diners there that are fantastic and in less populated areas, I highly recommend the Sam's No. 3 on Parker and Havana. Check out their Pie Shakes and just about everything on the menu is really goddamn good.

I can recommend more food stops if you're interested, but aside from that I don't have a lot of other suggestions within the Denver area itself. If you had time I'd say go check out Estes Park but that's day trip territory. If you like beer and pizza, Dad & Dude's Breweria is a decent spot.

Red Rocks Schedule
Dad & Dudes Breweria
Sams No. 3 Yelp
Steuben's
Denver Botanic Gardens

Thanks for the suggestions!

Sam's No. 3 downtown is about a 5 minute walk from my hotel. I'll check them out.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Argh

I was happy with Atmos/Sonic spatial audio coming to windows for the purposes of Hockey... but then I discovered that you can't disable the center channel to eliminate play by play. Since it takes the 5.1 or 7.1 feed and renders it into stereo, you don't have finite control over the mix.

So close... so clossssse to having arena sound only on headphones

I guess I will have to look into stripping the audio from the feed (which is annoying af as you'll have to strip HDCP) or find a way to put a mixer inbetween the feed and the spatial renderer. This would be fixed if Windows would treat this like a virtual 5.1 device *sigh*

zroid

Banned
nTyQXhrrQfqLjXuIQ8YV0Q.png

top tier tweet

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Wait... why is lupul even on the available list for the Leafs. He didn't hit the exposure requirements.

After looking at the list... I guess teams just make anyone available to be taken? Man they made the rules so weird.

Merguson

Banned
Wait... why is lupul even on the available list for the Leafs. He didn't hit the exposure requirements.

After looking at the list... I guess teams just make anyone available to be taken? Man they made the rules so weird.

No, some are exempt due to injuries such as Bolland or Grabovski.

I guess Lupul just isn't injured.

Chris R

Denver Botanic Gardens if you can catch them before they close. Steuben's downtown is a fantastic diner but probably very busy around 5. There's a Voodoo Doughtnuts that is dumb and touristy. If you have the time and there's a show scheduled before you leave, try to catch something at Red Rock's Amphitheater. There are a few other Diners there that are fantastic and in less populated areas, I highly recommend the Sam's No. 3 on Parker and Havana. Check out their Pie Shakes and just about everything on the menu is really goddamn good.

I can recommend more food stops if you're interested, but aside from that I don't have a lot of other suggestions within the Denver area itself. If you had time I'd say go check out Estes Park but that's day trip territory. If you like beer and pizza, Dad & Dude's Breweria is a decent spot.

Red Rocks Schedule
Dad & Dudes Breweria
Sams No. 3 Yelp
Steuben's
Denver Botanic Gardens

Fucking scalpers wanted $500 for Tom Petty Red Rocks tickets when I was in town at the end of May :<

This is going to be one of the busiest weeks in the NHL in ages. You got the Expansion Draft, The NHL Awards and NHL Draft. This week is going to change a lot Teams for the better or worst

PillarEN

that picture looks creepy to me

Yeah as far as cosplay goes that's creepier than anime.

On the topic of Vegas. So what is the draft plan? Go all out crazy for prospects and tank for a few seasons or are they going to grab some decent "right now" players and act like a transition team? I mean maybe I'm crazy but I'm starting to believe that they could make the playoffs in year two if they go for the second option.

*please god I hope this post isn't a complete embarrassment*

Yeah as far as cosplay goes that's creepier than anime.

On the topic of Vegas. So what is the draft plan? Go all out crazy for prospects and tank for a few seasons or are they going to grab some decent "right now" players and act like a transition team? I mean maybe I'm crazy but I'm starting to believe that they could make the playoffs in year two if they go for the second option.

*please god I hope this post isn't a complete embarrassment*

all of your posts are complete embarrassments

and I dont think they will tank, they need to establish a fan base, so I would expect them to try and make the playoffs the first few season

yyzjohn

Banned

Lou said Lupul is available and McPhee should pick him.

Allow me to try and make sense of this:

Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

So I think the minimum requirement from the above stated is Leafs expose 2 forwards who have the 40 games or 70 games in last 2 seasons. I guess Fehr and Smith are those 2 that meet the requirements. After that I guess the team can expose whoever the hell else they wish.

Cactus

Banned
Every single non-protected player is exposed unless they fail to meet the exposure requirements.

It was always assumed that Lupul would be exposed.

How does Lupul meet exposure requirements when he's only played 46 games since 2015/2016?

As far as I know, those games played rules only apply to young players still breaking into the league, not players who missed time due to injury.

Teams have to expose everybody that they do not explicitly protect or those who do not meet age/games played requirements.

Socreges

Banned
Wouldn't they just ship 7 off to the minor league team?...example Lupul.
Or waive them. Seems unfortunate for some players that will otherwise be roster players on other teams, but I guess that's just part of the process. I wonder if the team that exposed them gets first dibs on the waiver wire.

Cactus

Banned
How does Lupul meet exposure requirements when he's only played 46 games since 2015/2016?

Basically, every player who is not on a team's protection list, or is deemed exempt by the league is automatically exposed.

Only three exposed players (2 forwards, 1 defenceman) need to meet the games played requirement.

Fehr and Smith meet those requirements for the Leafs. If they didn't trade for Fehr and re-sign Smith, for example, they would have had to expose two other forwards that meet those requirements (e.g. Komarov and Martin) along with all the other non-protected players.

EDIT: I feel like maybe we're saying the same thing.

yyzjohn

Banned
EDIT: I feel like maybe we're saying the same thing.

Yeah I guess, just weird that Lupul would suddenly be ok to be picked up even though Leafs said he wasn't medically able to play. So what happens if Lupul is unpicked? I assume Leafs can't put him on IR if they just said he's good to be picked.

Cactus

Banned
Yeah I guess, just weird that Lupul would suddenly be ok to be picked up even though Leafs said he wasn't medically able to play. So what happens if Lupul is unpicked? I assume Leafs can't put him on IR if they just said he's good to be picked.

Yeah, it is weird. He wasn't on the list of exempt injured players sent out by the league a while ago, so I guess they consider his injury non-career threatening.

His situation always felt different than Robidas and Horton to me. Maybe more or a wink-wink nudge-nudge injury rather than something that legit inhibits him from ever playing again.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, it is weird. He wasn't on the list of exempt injured players sent out by the league a while ago, so I guess they consider his injury non-career threatening.

His situation always felt different than Robidas and Horton to me. Maybe more or a wink-wink nudge-nudge injury rather than something that legit inhibits him from ever playing again.
I must be missing something. Why would Lupul do that to himself? To get paid without having to do anything?

zroid

Banned
I must be missing something. Why would Lupul do that to himself? To get paid without having to do anything?

Probably. He must also be sick of repeatedly working his ass off rehabbing only to go on IR again within weeks, like clockwork. That has to be about as frustrating as anything.

Socreges

Banned
Probably. He must also be sick of repeatedly working his ass off rehabbing only to go on IR again within weeks, like clockwork. That has to be about as frustrating as anything.
I just find it difficult to believe that he's capable of playing but stays quiet and doesn't.

Hopefully Nolan. I'll also be glad to not hear about it anymore.
Man, this year pales to previous years in terms of hype. I'm surprised you've heard about it at all. Maybe on Flyers HFBoards or something?

Top Bottom