• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Solo

*trades away Galchenyuk, loses Radulov*

"Yeah but we got Drouin" - BargainBin

I'm already preparing myself for this, plus the Hanzal signing and the hand-waving that will ensue.

I know there's a full summer ahead, but I can't help but think the 2017-18 team is going to be even worse than the 2016-17 team. Ugh.

Mentok

Banned
And? None of their lack of success correlates with his performance. The team hasn't had any secondary scoring for a decade so you want to move one of the leagues best goal scorers when he's at his lowest value?
I don't think his value will get any higher than it is now, his next contract will make sure of that.

Are they? Those little previews that show off 10% of the jersey looked like it's very similar.

EDIT: the Ottawa preview showed the Senator head.

Hm, maybe it won't change much. I guess I just assumed that if they're gonna show a preview of it like it's a big deal then they must have changed something.

Mentok

Banned
Did anyone notice the (grain of salt for sure) rumours from George Laraque and some other sites saying Rads and Habs are agreeing on 3 years/7mil?

Yawnier

Banned
Maybe so. The price is taking on Kulemin's contract AND passing on Josh Bailey or Ryan Strome, so it may be worth it for, what, 14th overall? Maybe there's even more to it than a 1st. Bailey is a good player.

I can see the Knights going boom or bust with most of their first rounders especially if they end up with 3 to 5 of them. Would not shock me at all if they were to take a Brannstrom or Liljegren at pick #15 if one of them are still available, and someone else like a Yamamoto or Kostin with another late 1st rounder.

I do understand that guys like Strome, Nelson, and Bailey have value to other teams tho if they wanted to take and flip one of those guys and get an asset or two that way. Especially Strome as a former top 5 pick not all that long ago and that he can play center, sort of?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Don't get why Vegas are taking these picks. I'll take the sure fire NHLer like Strome over a mid late first rounder.

because they have a reserve list to fill and a development program in place

they need to be able to have sustainable success

Solo

Don't get why Vegas are taking these picks. I'll take the sure fire NHLer like Strome over a mid late first rounder.

They are planning to go the Chicago/Pittsburgh route it seems, minus the decade of painfully sucking.

Stockpile high picks for a couple of years and then ice a team with a generational talent or two in 5-6 years and win a Cup before Taranna.

Quick

Banned
I like SENS logo more than the current 3D Spartan logo.

That's how much I hate the current logo

I don't hate it, but it's just a tired motif even though it works out pretty well for the most part.

For me, I think it's a big part of it isn't really just the logo, but also the lazy jersey design that the team never bothered changing in the last 10 years.

How many God damn first round picks are the Knights going to have

3 first rounders is just the beginning.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Jim Mateheson said:
Who will Vegas take in expansion draft to be their team captain? Brouwer or Methot?
Dude has really been killing it with these hot takes this week

zroid

Banned
Dude has really been killing it with these hot takes this week
Makes more sense to sign Doan, don't you think?

83D9kxQZQUqorTOaQNtZIw.png

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah no kidding, although it's the NHL and he's probably afraid of rocking the boat, same reason offer sheets don't get signed. 😴

Cake Boss

Banned
I get about building their future and filling their prospect cupboards but in terms of value, why the hell would I take a late first rounder to not take a Dumba/Brodin/Strome/Bailey etc when I can take those players and flip them for more picks by trading them to a more desperate team or the other teams rivals.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I get about building their future and filling their prospect cupboards but in terms of value, why the hell would I take a late first rounder to not take a Dumba/Brodin/Strome/Bailey etc when I can take those players and flip them for more picks by trading them to a more desperate team or the other teams rivals.

Because if they don't do the trade to get a solid asset, the team (minnesota/nyi/anaheim)may have just dealt the player and vegas gets a lesser asset. Here they get a pick and a lesser asset.

So in value it works out for vegas

This is why it's a good idea to just do a trade even though optically it could look worse, but at least you then give yourself control.

zroid

Banned
lol, the Kulemin report was updated and now it's saying the player is actually Grabovski

or rather, the report says that as part of the deal, Grabo and a 1st are being traded to Vegas. So maybe Vegas will still select Kulemin as the other part of "the deal".

boy that's a lot of bad money just for a damn mid 1st, if so

Yawnier

Banned
lol, the Kulemin report was updated and now it's saying the player is actually Grabovski

or rather, the report says that as part of the deal, Grabo and a 1st are being traded to Vegas. So maybe Vegas will still select Kulemin as the other part of "the deal".

boy that's a lot of bad money just for a damn mid 1st, if so

I imagine that Vegas would probably want the Leafs 17th pick for taking on the last year of Lupul's contract... yeah no thanks

Quick

Banned
Vegas has to hit 60-100% of last season's salary cap with their expansion draft selections. Taking in bad contracts for picks to pad up their cap hit for that purpose isn't a bad situation to be in.

2 routes for Vegas, try to piecemeal a good team and try to compete or take a lot of flipable assets and run a couple drafts while hurting early and focus on development. IMO smarter thing is take the picks and prospects and build for long term success.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
2 routes for Vegas, try to piecemeal a good team and try to compete or take a lot of flipable assets and run a couple drafts while hurting early and focus on development. IMO smarter thing is take the picks and prospects and build for long term success.
This is the route I would take, but I'm sure Bettman wants the team to be as competitive as possible, as quickly as possible to maintain interest.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
With the players available I don't think Vegas would be in an awful spot either way. They can ice a good team even with taking pics. Better than the Avs
and Canucks
at least

Quick

Banned
With the players available I don't think Vegas would be in an awful spot either way. They can ice a good team even with taking pics. Better than the Avs
and Canucks
at least

Was about to post something similar.

Vegas is being given a chance to, at the very least, be a middling team that either barely makes the playoffs or makes their games interesting enough. But the big thing for them is having a top 10 pick, along with possibly two other picks (and more) in the first round.

They can dick around with what they have and hope the players they draft develop accordingly. The Entry Draft is the bigger deal for them long term.

Top Bottom