• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Delryk

LOL

DCz9FTwUAAAjqGB.jpg

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Also the Hossa thing definitely smells fishy. Even IF true (and I think it is), it's still totally cap circumvention to have him on LTIR instead of retire.

Revenant

Also the Hossa thing definitely smells fishy. Even IF true (and I think it is), it's still totally cap circumvention to have him on LTIR instead of retire.

Counterpoint, the nhl can circum- kiss Deez nuts for applying those cap penalties retroactively for their fuck up.

Holiday

Banned
I'm not terribly sad to see Perron leave. I was excited to have him last summer, but his season was not the best and his playoffs were awful.

Marvie_3

Banned
Wasn't this already done with pronger being put on ltir for his last two seasons anyway? Am I remembering that wrong?
Yeah it happened then too.

Another point, why would Chicago waste a protection slot in the expansion draft on Hossa if this was planned? They could have put him on LTIR weeks ago and exempted him.

Smiley90

I'll find it difficult to believe when Luongo makes something up to bail the Canucks out of penalties then too.

If that happens you won't see me defending it so sure?

Again, I'm not saying he's making up the allergy, I think it's an awful way to have your HOF career end.

I just think he's retiring and using LTIR for cap circumvention, that's all.

Yeah it happened then too.

Another point, why would Chicago waste a protection slot in the expansion draft on Hossa if this was planned? They could have put him on LTIR weeks ago and exempted him.

Does Hossa have an NMC? If not that really would be weird given that the team mustve known for a while, too. Or maybe Hossa was hiding it from the team to avoid getting taken by Vegas? I cant really imagine that either, though.

PillarEN

Wings start the season at home against the Wild. Nothing really noteworthy about that other than it's the first regular season game in the new arena.

zroid

Banned
man, almost every player who wants to retire but still has an active contract does the LTIR route. this isn't new, or a big deal.

Revenant

Frankly if a player is physically unable to play or adversely affected by doing so what's the benefit of punishing a team if he retired.

Is it better to treat them as an active player and hope pronger learns to see like daredevil to play D? Or for hossa to play out the rest of his contract so he can retire looking like the toxic avenger?

Yes I know they wouldn't actually be forced to play but the nhl just acting like a player retiring for legit medical reasons is exploitation seems a bit silly

Smiley90

Frankly if a player is physically unable to play or adversely affected by doing so what's the benefit of punishing a team if he retired.

Is it better to treat them as an active player and hope pronger learns to see like daredevil to play D? Or for hossa to play out the rest of his contract so he can retire looking like the toxic avenger?

Yes I know they wouldn't actually be forced to play but the nhl just acting like a player retiring for legit medical reasons is exploitation seems a bit silly

The team took on the risk of a player prematurely retiring when they signed him to an albatross contract. That's the risk you take and that's why they deserve the penalty. If you don't wanna risk that, don't sign the player to such ridiculous contracts but signed them for 5 years and then if they want to keep playing for another 3 instead of 8 off the bat.

e.g. "old age, my bones and body are getting too weak to play" is also a valid medical excuse for not playing anymore.

Revenant

The team took on the risk of a player prematurely retiring when they signed him to an albatross contract. That's the risk you take and that's why they deserve the penalty. If you don't wanna risk that, don't sign the player to such ridiculous contracts but signed them for 5 years and then if they want to keep playing for another 3 instead of 8 off the bat.

e.g. "old age, my bones and body are getting too weak to play" is also a valid medical excuse for not playing anymore.

Neutral doctor then?

Also there was no risk when signed of this. The nhl made it a problem with their retroactive nonsense
What if during a 6 year contract at a reasonable rate the player busts his spine and his career is over. Should the team pay the player? yes. Do I think their cap should be penalized? No.

At the least I see no problem using the LTIR

Marvie_3

Banned
Does Hossa have an NMC? If not that really would be weird given that the team mustve known for a while, too. Or maybe Hossa was hiding it from the team to avoid getting taken by Vegas? I cant really imagine that either, though.
Some places have it listed that he does. Some dont. Ive seen it listed as a NTC other places too so I dont think anyone actually knows. If he has a NMC then my point is moot.

I think we found the villains to oppose the NHL guardians!

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The league shouldn't have allowed teams to make deals with VGK, would've made their selections(and the ensuing aftermath) far more interesting.

Revenant

The league shouldn't have allowed teams to make deals with VGK, would've made their selections(and the ensuing aftermath) far more interesting.

I dunno, watching McPhee be both the prettiest girl at the ball and infuriating puppet master to the other gms is kinda great

imBask

Banned
Neutral doctor then?

Also there was no risk when signed of this. The nhl made it a problem with their retroactive nonsense
What if during a 6 year contract at a reasonable rate the player busts his spine and his career is over. Should the team pay the player? yes. Do I think their cap should be penalized? No.

At the least I see no problem using the LTIR

Giving away a 6-7-8 years contract must have a downside and a considerable risk for the team, and injuries are part of that risk considering the nature of the sport

I see your point, I guess you could go with some neutral doc who will judge if the injury is hockey related or not and if the player can or cannot play in order to be able to retire with no penalty, but then you'd have dirtbags like Lou who will try everything to work around that shit and make it a huge mess

Solo

Habs home opener is Oct. 10 vs. Chicago.

Yep, so going to that one. I've been to 2 home openers (2011 and 2013) and they are great. Added bonus of seeing Drouin's first game in the CH at home.

Cactus

Banned
Expected. Sucks to lose a decent prospect, but i don't think he had a future with the team. I think he can be a serviceable bottom-6 NHL player if he's given the chance. He has to go through waivers starting next season, so the Leafs might have lost him for nothing anyway.

Matthews/Laine to pick up the rivalry.

The media playing that up last year was kinda bearable because at least they were both rookies competing to be the best rookie.

As they get further away from being rookies it's going to get more and more pointless.

At least the Jets v Leafs games last year were actually good.

Top Bottom