• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

I wouldn't be surprised if we had the youngest or one of the youngest teams come next season. Our defensive overhaul with all the young blue liners then our goalie pipeline and with Lindblom getting signed to a pro deal and Patrick now...

Gonna be interesting

zroid

Banned
Oh wow the other Sebastian Aho finally got drafted. By the Isles.

he's the same age as the Canes' Aho but was passed on in the last two drafts

edit: nvm they aren't the same age, he's actually a year older lol

Nothing? Younger, more versatile player locked up for a longer term at the same cap hit.

Younger by 1 year, I don't see what the big deal is from that perspective. Yes, Saad is a two-way player but they've essentially made a marginal move where they're replacing the Panarin - Kane high octane offense with Toews - Saad two-way play (and maybe Kane, but chemistry is mostly towards Toews). I know cost certainty but Chicago didn't even save cap right now either considering the contracts are identical. All-in-all it's a weird marginal move that doesn't necessarily improve the Blackhawks.

Silexx

Did Phaneuf piss Sens management off by not waiving his NMC and now they want to ship him out? Because I'm surprised by all this talk about moving him out now.

Holiday

Banned
Did Armstrong get fleeced or not? He should have never given Lehtera that money.

2 1st rounders is steep, but getting rid of Lehtera was necessary.

Scheen looks better than I thought he was, at least.

So the Wild have drafted:
  • Two small skilled forwards from Canada
  • A small skilled forward from USA
  • A small skilled forward from Russia
  • A small skilled forward that is switching to defense for the first time ever this season

Like, I get it. Go after the best players. But the biggest guy the Wild picked today is 5'11". They had no 1st or 2nd round pick.

Not a fan of this draft thus far but I dont know anything about any of these guys.

zroid

Banned
So the Wild have drafted:
  • Two small skilled forwards from Canada
  • A small skilled forward from USA
  • A small skilled forward from Russia
  • A small skilled forward that is switching to defense for the first time ever this season

Like, I get it. Go after the best players. But the biggest guy the Wild picked today is 5'11". They had no 1st or 2nd round pick.

Not a fan of this draft thus far but I dont know anything about any of these guys.

Leafs depth chart of 6'-3"+ defensive "projects":

Andrew Nielsen
Eemeli Rasanen
J.D. Greenway
Fedor Gordeev
Keaton Middleton
Nicolas Mattinen

sounds like a trade cooking

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Yeah I wouldn't be shocked if Nielsen pushes for a job on the leafs in a years time. Unlike the other guys on that list he has shown that he is already a player at the pro hockey level

If only he could skate

But damn he has good outlet passes, huge hits and a powerful/accurate slapshot

If he comes into preseason a bit quicker, he is on the leafs guaranteed

Yawnier

Banned
If only he could skate

But damn he has good outlet passes, huge hits and a powerful/accurate slapshot

If he comes into preseason a bit quicker, he is on the leafs guaranteed

I feel like he is one of those type of d-men who will be able to get around his mediocre skating with the offensive aspects of his game, kind of like a Cody Franson. I could be wrong tho

Happy with the Cats' draft, Repo (6th round) Finn overager sounds like he'll play in the AHL right away. Really like the Tippett pick.

Now they need to plug holes in the FWDs

Marvie_3

Banned
Younger by 1 year, I don't see what the big deal is from that perspective. Yes, Saad is a two-way player but they've essentially made a marginal move where they're replacing the Panarin - Kane high octane offense with Toews - Saad two-way play (and maybe Kane, but chemistry is mostly towards Toews). I know cost certainty but Chicago didn't even save cap right now either considering the contracts are identical. All-in-all it's a weird marginal move that doesn't necessarily improve the Blackhawks.
It wasn't about cap savings this year. With Hossa on LTIR they don't have cap problems. What it was about is long term cap savings. Both Panarin and Hammer are up for new contracts in 2 years plus a lot of the kids on the team needing new deals in the near future, and as slow as the cap has been going up, it's highly unlikely Chicago is able to afford Hammer and Panarin then. Saad is locked in for 4 and Murphy for 5. So now they have long term options at both positions and got younger in the process.

As far as the lines go, getting Toews some help is a good thing. The last 2 years he's had a revolving door on both wings, especially on the left side since Hossa was on the right a lot of the time. Toews' line suffered for it. The Kane line has really been the only threatening line the last 2 years but you need more than 1 line to do anything in the playoffs.

Kane and Anisimov are more than enough to carry a line. Hell, Kane has had a lot of crap on his line over the years and still puts up points.

Toews..... :lol :lol

Would not surprise me at all if thats what he said.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Don't know anything about this years draft, but going from scouts and guys who've followed the draft all year, Habs seemed to have done well overall.

PillarEN

Canucks drafted a goalie named DiPietro? I'll have to look into this.

EDIT: Unrelated to Rickety. Still, the name is tainted. Will be a bust

#Hottake

Top Bottom