• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
8 years for Jesus Price
giphy.gif

Solo

What did you expect? Thats a fair deal for a player of his caliber. And with goalies they can easily play until they are older at a top level.

Good deal for the habs.

Look at every cup winning team the past decade. Not a single one of them had "the best goalie in the world" at the time of winning the cup, except maybe Boston. You don't need a $10.5M, worlds best goalie. You need a competent, good goalie, and more importantly you need a front loaded offense. Habs signing Price to this prevents that from happening.

Cake Boss

Banned
Lol Habs had no choice, it's their best player.

They will never win a cup with a goalie taking up that much cap space tho. Unless they can get lucky with some center prospects going on a tear on their ELCs.

imBask

Banned
i've been the biggest Price fan since he played his first game here, but we're not winning anything with a 10.5M goalie in this era

it's over

Cactus

Banned
It's a good deal in the sense that Bergevin signed his franchise player to a somewhat reasonable contract.

On the other hand, that's a huge chunk of the cap tied to a soon-to-be 30-year-old goalie for the next eight years. Not sure if it's possible to build a winning team with a goalie making 10m+

Reckheim

Look at every cup winning team the past decade. Not a single one of them had "the best goalie in the world" at the time of winning the cup, except maybe Boston. You don't need a $10.5M, worlds best goalie. You need a competent, good goalie, and more importantly you need a front loaded offense. Habs signing Price to this prevents that from happening.
What do you suggest the habs do then? Let him walk? Half the teams in the NHL would pay that price, possibly more.

Red_Man

People bitching all year that Price is going to abandon this team and he doesn't want to play here, and now you're going to bitch he signed a deserved contract. Can never appease Habs fans.

imBask

Banned
What do you suggest the habs do then? Let him walk? Half the teams in the NHL would pay that price, possibly more.

Hmm if only there was some other option other than letting him go for free 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
i've been the biggest Price fan since he played his first game here, but we're not winning anything with a 10.5M goalie in this era

it's over

That's not going to be the deciding factor.

If they continue with their shitty drafting and development and doesn't matter how much money the goalie makes.

I'm glad we have a new scapegoat though when BargainBin doesn't go after big Free Agents.

Reckheim

Should have traded him this summer. Take your lumps with Lindgren and McNiven and flip Price and Patches for a centre.
Replacing a player like Price tho, that would set you guys back a lot. Unless you are going for a rebuild. But based on the posters here you guys seem to be in a win now type of place.

Montresor

I've never seens Habs-gaf (minus Red_Man) so pessimistic about their team before.

Bergevin and Timmins getting blasted all the time here.

Holiday

Banned
In an even more important resigning than Price, Darren Pang is back for 3 years with FSM. Holy jumpin, 9 of hearts, why wouldn't he, etc.

Foggy

Price is only 1.5 to 2 mil "overpaid". Let your gm do his job and make up for the difference with solid signings and extensions.

Red_Man

People talk about trading Price like it would be so easy, how many teams could take him on with that contract demand? We would get absolutely robbed in any trade involving him, not to mention there are probably only a handful of teams that could find a fit for him.

look at all those cups Lunqvist won!
They've done a lot better in the playoffs then we have.

calder

Price at 10.5 seems.. fine? I guess it catches the eye when you break 10. The term, as always, will be the killer but in the current cba teams don't really have a choice for elite talents.

imBask

Banned
People talk about trading Price like it would be so easy, how many teams could take him on with that contract demand? We would get absolutely robbed in any trade involving him, not to mention there are probably only a handful of teams that could find a fit for him.

🤔 so you say it's a great contract, but no team would've wanted him because they would've expected that contract 🤔

Solo

Replacing a player like Price tho, that would set you guys back a lot. Unless you are going for a rebuild. But based on the posters here you guys seem to be in a win now type of place.

That's why we are screwed. We're in "win now" mode because of our contracts and the age of our players, but the team had MASSIVE holes (no 1C, no 2C, missing a top pairing LHD). So "win now" translates to a first or second round exit because we don't have the talent and depth to be cup contenders.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Canucks sign Burmistrov for 1y@900k? I'm totally okay with that, too. Good offseason for Dim Jim.

Top Bottom