• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Solo

Why do you think they're awful? Both would be an upgrade, I just would not move Sergachev in any deal, and I think Bergevin's lack of movement should give you faith he isn't going to get fleeced.

Upgrade, yes (if it's Duchene, not convinced at all that RNH improves the team). Enough of an upgrade that suddenly our centre woes of the past are gone? Hell no.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Upgrade, yes (if it's Duchene, not convinced at all that RNH improves the team). Enough of an upgrade that suddenly our centre woes of the past are gone? Hell no.
Duchene would be a huge upgrade to our top 6, if they can get RNH, he would be able to take the tough assignments against top competition and let AGally be more free to do his thing on offense.

imBask

Banned
How about an offer sheet to Draisaitl?or Drouin?

I still hate how afraid GMs are to use that tool, it's so stupid... The last one to go through was Dustin Penner 10 years ago, right?

Solo

All of this C talk is pointless until we know what they're going to do with Galchenyuk.

I think it's pretty clear from CJ/MB's postmortem what they're going to do with AGally.

As far as his organizational status:
- he's not getting traded as many of us have assumed/sensationalized
- which means he has to get some kind of a new contract, which I'm guessing will just be a 1 year second bridge deal, it's the only thing that makes sense for both sides

As far as his team status:
- sounds like all parties (AGally included) realize that he's not ready to be a #1C, which is a shame after 5 years, and the blame can equally be split between the player and team
- it sounds like they do still hold out hope (CJ in particular) that he can still become a top 6 centre, but that he still needs more time and has a lot to learn
- until such time, the team's best position to succeed is with him at wing

So for 2017-2018, he's viewed as a winger. Meaning they have to acquire a centre. And frankly, AGally on wing doesn't sound so horrid if he's got Duchene centering him

Solo

I still hate how afraid GMs are to use that tool, it's so stupid... The last one was Dustin Penner 10 years ago, right?

Drouin? Hell no. I think he'd be a disaster in Montreal. I'd LOVE to offer sheet Draisaitl though. If Chucky ever gets his centreman game straightened out, a 1-2-3 punch of Drais/AGally/Danault could be really good

But its a moot point. We aren't offering and the Oilers would match anyway. My guess is that Draisaitl gets flipped back to centre soon and RNH is expendable.

Red_Man

I don't see how we get a top 6 guy, specifically a center without AGally going the other way, and his comments the other day may indicate he pushes for a trade personally.

I still hate how afraid GMs are to use that tool, it's so stupid... The last one to go through was Dustin Penner 10 years ago, right?
Bergevin is way too old school to go through with that.

Solo

I don't see how we get a top 6 guy, specifically a center without AGally going the other way, and his comments the other day may indicate he pushes for a trade personally.

Think of it this way. AGally's value is at its lowest right now AND he has no contract. So who is going to trade for a project that they don't even know if they can sign or develop?

It's best for both the Habs and AGally to do a 1 year deal. Gives them one more year to see if he can mature and development his all around game, and gives him a year to up his value. If all goes well (let's say 25 goals/60 points), a year from now AGally can demand (and receive) a Forsberg contract.

That's my guess anyway. A 1 year, $4.25M deal, and then the decision on his future as a Habs comes next summer.

Red_Man

Think of it this way. AGally's value is at its lowest right now AND he has no contract. So who is going to trade for a project that they don't even know if they can sign or develop?

It's best for both the Habs and AGally to do a 1 year deal. Gives them one more year to see if he can mature and development his all around game, and gives him a year to up his value. If all goes well (let's say 25 goals/60 points), a year from now AGally can demand (and receive) a Forsberg contract.

That's my guess anyway. A 1 year, $4.25M deal, and then the decision on his future as a Habs comes next summer.
He's a RFA and if Bergevin tries to lowball him like he's known to do, I could see AGally declining it.

Solo

He's a RFA and if Bergevin tries to lowball him like he's known to do, I could see AGally declining it.

I don't think $4-5M is a lowball given his season. And I think both him and his agent realize he needs to have a career season in 2017-2018 if he wants the big contract.

He's known to be a gym rat, so I expect he'll be coming into camp in his best shape ever, with a 100% healthy knee, and no shortage of motivation (both $$ and to shut his critics up).

Solo

See, I think an arbitrator is much more in the team's favor based on his season. He wants Forsberg money but he didn't have a Forsberg season.

Although looking at stats....AGally had a 0.01 higher PPG this season than Forsberg, so that's definitely fodder for his agent.

Red_Man

See, I think an arbitrator is much more in the team's favor based on his season. He wants Forsberg money but he didn't have a Forsberg season.

Although looking at stats....AGally had a 0.01 higher PPG this season than Forsberg, so that's definitely fodder for his agent.
It's not hard for him to use the "I scored 30, was in top 10 scoring before my knee injury, came back and was tossed around the lineup" kind of shit, valid or not. Just saying it could get ugly, and with his comments at the end of the season and the reported issues between his dad, it wouldn't exactly surprise me.

Solo

What's the deadline for all this stuff? Like when is the earliest/latest AGally can get a contract? I would imagine the earliest is July 1? And the latest could be during next season if he were to hold out?

Merguson

Banned
What's the deadline for all this stuff? Like when is the earliest/latest AGally can get a contract? I would imagine the earliest is July 1? And the latest could be during next season if he were to hold out?

I'm pretty sure he could have started negotiating a new contract last summer after July 1st, and signed one last summer.

Cactus

Banned
Honestly not trying to be malicious here, but are you guys really expecting Galchenyuk to play another game in a Canadiens uniform after all the crap that was said by both him and Bergevin?

Red_Man

Honestly not trying to be malicious here, but are you guys really expecting Galchenyuk to play another game in a Canadiens uniform after all the crap that was said by both him and Bergevin?
His value is at it's lowest, so it would be dumb to move him now, but anything's possible.

zroid

Banned
I have so many questions

36ffda85f86c4ec3b14cb237d19fe6ef.png

Solo

I think he'll be back. Might be his last year/part of year, but he'll at least suit up in October as a Hab....I think.

Socreges

Banned
that's an A+ passive agressive tweet, props to their social media guy
The weirdest thing is they followed up with two more tweets about him:

- pointing out how he played in 200+ consecutive games from 2014 to Feb 23 2017 (they omit that he was scratched to end the streak...but that's the implication)
- show him doing charity work with another player

Parch

But its a moot point. We aren't offering and the Oilers would match anyway. My guess is that Draisaitl gets flipped back to centre soon and RNH is expendable.
Even though Draisaitl is on wing with McDavid he's taking most of the faceoffs instead of Connor. A pure move to center certainly could happen with all the line swapping the Oilers do and the hope that Puljujarvi is ready to be a factor.

I'm pretty sure any offer for Draisaitl would be matched. He's considered a very important part of the team. A move for RNH is a lot more realistic.

calder

RCMP Manitoba‏Verified account @rcmpmb 12m12 minutes ago

#WantedWed - Thomas Truthwaite, Peguis area. Has a "twin" but can be recognized by “Thomas” tattoo on his neck. Call #rcmpmb @

Up until now I've been unable to think of a single downside to having a neck tat.

Top Bottom