• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

PillarEN

So draft lottery in two days...

I will be unhappy with #3-#5, which are the most likely.

#1 would make me anxious since we'd likely take Patrick

#2 would also make me anxious since whoever gets #1 may take Hischier

So basically this draft fucking sucks.

Wings got this :D

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So draft lottery in two days...

I will be unhappy with #3-#5, which are the most likely.

#1 would make me anxious since we'd likely take Patrick

#2 would also make me anxious since whoever gets #1 may take Hischier

So basically this draft fucking sucks.

I agree with all of this

calder

Jets get the third overall pick, draft Miro Heiskanen.

Not a wish, but a prediction - a prophetic dream I had that I need to get down in writing so I can prove my uncanny gifts to future generations.

calder

Either we'll pick outside of the top 5, or we'll pick first and he'll be a total bust.

I'm nearly at that point where I look at Nolan Patrick and see the variety of lingering injuries he's had last couple of years and wonder. It's apparently 50/50 now between him and Nico for first but I'd be kinda worried he'd be an injury related bust if we drafted him.

Socreges

Banned
I'm nearly at that point where I look at Nolan Patrick and see the variety of lingering injuries he's had last couple of years and wonder. It's apparently 50/50 now between him and Nico for first but I'd be kinda worried he'd be an injury related bust if we drafted him.
This is what those close to him say:

“He’s definitely a top-six guy at the very least when he’s in his prime, but he’s going to have to learn a completely different way to play in a different situation,” Wheat Kings GM Grant Armstrong recently told The Province.

“I’m hoping that the team will take their time and not rush Nolan Patrick and to let him come along slow and develop. When he’s ready to do more, the team will know it."

Nolan's uncle, defenceman James Patrick, was also an NHL first-rounder. Since he's a Winnipeg native, Jets fans will be hoping their slim 2.7 per cent odds come through.

"I think there are people who believe he’s going to walk in and save a team. That’s not what he is right now," Armstrong said.

“He’s a solid, two-way guy who takes as much pride in his defensive play as making a play offensively. He’s a guy who eventually you’re going to put out in all situations. To me, he’s going to be like a Bo Horvat. He’s going to have that type of impact to your lineup when he’s suitably ready.”
What mitigated praise for a first overall pick!

calder

The thirst is so strong I'm watching the NFL draft.

This thing is fucking nuts, like a cross between the NHL draft, a World Cup soccer crowd and Mad Max

The thirst is so strong I'm watching the NFL draft.

This thing is fucking nuts, like a cross between the NHL draft, a World Cup soccer crowd and Mad Max

The live reaction in Chicago when the Bears got fleeced to move up and take a QB was pretty good.

The fans were piiiissed.

imBask

Banned
DansLesCoulisses is reporting that Radulov asked 5x7.5M to the Canadiens
not a great source but I thought I should mention it

just sign the piece of paper Marc

Solo

DansLesCoulisses is reporting that Radulov asked 5x7.5M to the Canadiens
not a great source but I thought I should mention it

just sign the piece of paper Marc

I'm okay with that. The term is maybe a year too long, but at least it's not 3 years too long.

Solo

Oh you sweet summer children. In Montreal, there's the "Montreal premium" we have to pay to acquire any talent whatsoever. It equates to about $1.5M more per year than any other market.

:(

imBask

Banned
It's a lot of money. Probably too much money.

We have nothing else going on though, no rookies, no tradebait, nothing... Tavares is beautiful but I don't expect Marc Bergevin to land that deal... i'd rather just have Radulov and fuck it

Solo

What's gonna happen is Bergevin is gonna say there was no way to get Tavares, whine about how trades are hard, how #1C are never traded, etc., meanwhile Detroit or someone is going to make the Tavares deal.

Book it.

Curufinwe

I'm really glad Simmonds isn't a UFA for two more years.

He actually didn't have a great season despite scoring 30 goals and doing some strong work on the PK. He struggled just as much as Brayden Schenn did to score and possess the puck at 5 on 5. But Simmonds is seen as being significantly superior to Schenn in Philly, and I think even more so outside of Philly.

Solo

Actually, this is the NHL so... Tavares will sign with the Islanders and zzzzzzzzzz

He probably will. It's a gutless league with gutless players. Despite the fact that he has no reason to stay (Long Island sucks, his team is mired in mediocrity), he'll chicken out just like Stamkos.

But it's a lot worse than Stamkos. At least in his case, Stamkos had a Cup contending team, great climate, no state tax, etc. Lots of reasons to stay. I see none for Tavares.

I want fireworks, but you're probably right. He'll sign an 8 year extension and waste the rest of his career in Long Island.

Solo

Where would he sign and not "waste" his talent?

Any contending playoff team? Dude has been to the playoffs 3 times in his 8 years in the league. 2 first round exits and a second round exit (last season, which was followed up by missing the playoffs this season).

Foggy

Any contending playoff team? Dude has been to the playoffs 3 times in his 8 years in the league. 2 first round exits and a second round exit (last season, which was followed up by missing the playoffs this season).

And which of those teams can afford him? And they're not on a downward swing? And allows him to be the leader? Isles are in as good a position as anyone.

Foggy

Blackhawks are totally boned so that's not happening.

I don't know, the NHL is littered with dudes that have contracts because of a standout year. You really feel confident Radu can justify that contract over 3 years, let alone 5? 18g/54p is worth 7.5mil?

zroid

Banned
for some reason I thought Radulov had way more than 54 points. Assumed it as closer to 70 based on the hype. Not that there's anything wrong with 54 pts for $5 million or whatever it was.

Foggy

I know you generally have to overpay for wingers these days, but there's a disconnect to me if 10mil is too rich for the league's best goalie, but 7.5mil for a 30 year old 54pt winger is acceptable.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
That contract sounds like a trap to me

Same

Habs should counter with 5x5, which is a more appropriate number for his production. The only way I give him $7.5m is if he signs for 3 years or less. Any longer of a term and that contract will be an anchor for the Habs.

Top Bottom