• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

calder

Already broken. They need to tape him together just to show up at the combine.

I heard that the team interviews were a complete Weekend at Bernie's thing with his agent and parents moving his hands and tilting his head back and forth while pressing on his chest to make air escape his lungs and create low moaning sounds. Just thank god he still got straight 100s in the "is Canadian" and "#WANT" categories.

calder

Not a hockey article, but Jonah Keri talking about baseball's TV future is very relevant to all sports: The Unplugged Effect: How cord-cutting could become baseball's next huge crisis

As the recent layoffs at ESPN showed, the current economics of sports are unsustainable. Cable subscribers are dwindling every day, creating cash crunches for even the biggest media behemoths. Those shortfalls at ESPN and elsewhere have thrown the careers of hundreds of talented and hardworking writers, editors, broadcasters, and producers into chaos.

None of those layoffs would seem to affect tunnel-visioned fans, who for now still get to watch their favorite leagues and teams, without fear of interruption. But that could soon change. If a sports cable network buying TV rights leads to bad outcomes for the shareholders of its parent company, that network will be less inclined to bid for those rights next time around. If bidders start backing down, teams will end up with less money in their war chests. If that happens, teams could go back to the same approach they've adopted many times in pro sports history: try to take money out of players' pockets. And if that happens, years of labor peace could evaporate, and the games that sports fans have come to expect might get thrown aside over money disputes.

Very interesting to see what happens. There's also a link in the story to a report about how regional sports nets are doomed, which would impact hockey even more than the other sports.

PillarEN

All I'm getting from that Calder is that it's time to make amends with another lockout if the regional TV sports networks go down the drain.

Embrace streaming. Kill region blocks. Ban internet caps worldwide and throw those that oppose into prison for hard labor.

yyzjohn

Banned
I think the money for sports rights will still be there even without cable companies bidding on the rights. They'll be other companies bidding for streaming rights, Facebook, Google etc. Imagine you subscribe to a YouTube NHL feed or something in the future.

Not a hockey article, but Jonah Keri talking about baseball's TV future is very relevant to all sports: The Unplugged Effect: How cord-cutting could become baseball's next huge crisis

Very interesting to see what happens. There's also a link in the story to a report about how regional sports nets are doomed, which would impact hockey even more than the other sports.

Blackouts need to fucking die. When they die, people will pay to watch all the sports online, even if they add commercials.

Chris R

Blackouts need to fucking die. When they die, people will pay to watch all the sports online, even if they add commercials.

Yep. I pay for NHL.TV even with it's shitty quality and huge delay because it's the only reliable way for me to watch the Avs.

I DON'T pay for MLB.TV because 99.5% of my Mariners games would be blacked out... Granted I watch most of them on TV, but it would be nice to stream the games I can't watch at work instead of listening on my $9.99 AM/FM radio

There's also a link in the story to a report about how regional sports nets are doomed, which would impact hockey even more than the other sports.

The report - not the blog post Jonah links to but the actual report from Moody's - predicts that *if* RSNs decline, that streaming services are likely to barge in and fill the void.

Or that maybe they'll all work it out.

Then there's another guy who thinks RSNs are in better shape than national broadcasters.

Cake Boss

Banned

Blackouts probably won't die until the current TV contracts are expired, I believe the blackouts are part of the clause to help out with the TV regional viewership.

Curufinwe

I wonder what the options for watching Flyers game will be when I move back to New Zealand. So long as I have fiber internet I should be OK.

calder

Blackouts probably won't die until the current TV contracts are expired, I believe the blackouts are part of the clause to help out with the TV regional viewership.

A key plank in the process of selling TV rights twice, yep.

Who knows if unbundling will hurt RSNs or the national networks more, but I would bet a lot that TV fees were way, way overpriced in the past 5 years or so as networks panicked and overpaid for live TV. Now they're extra vulnerable to declining carriage.

If streaming becomes the next thing I'm not sure Facebook or Youtube would pay *nearly* as much as the networks do even if they are competing with each other. Youtube might really want live NBA games or whatever but if Twitter makes a large bid I bet they shrug and spend the $ on cooking shows or something.

Let's just say in 2025 when the national rights deal expires I doubt Sportsnet is going to shove $5.2 billion into the pot again. They started regretting that deal *fast* and that was before all the Canadian teams fucked them over last year lol.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
House GOP passed the AHCA. Will likely fail the senate, but still.

Millions of people would lose health insurance and go bankrupt and/or die.

Pre-existing conditions not covered.

Being raped, a victim of domestic violence or having a c-section now count as pre-existing condition and make you either lose health insurance or have your costs skyrocket.

I pay 50USD/month for health insurance in Canada, 0 deductible except for 200$ on prescription medicine. 50/month is waived for low-income. I've never been more glad to be here. My sister has T1 diabetes, the GOP would've basically condemned her to a life in debt.

Fuck everything about the GOP, seriously.

calder

Every single thing I read about that bill left me stunned. Like, you couldn't imagine DELIBERATELY creating such an evil fucking thing, and they somehow managed to do it only half trying.

Every quote about not knowing what would happen and shrugging when asked for specifics, despite deliberately pushing it through before those calculations could be made... just the most fucking banal evil imaginable.

Patton Oswalt
@pattonoswalt
The #MAGA C.H.U.D.S. on Twitter right now, cheering the #AHCA being passed.

Cattle cheering McDonald's.

Cattle cheering McDonald's in-fucking-deed.

Curufinwe

The difference between Republicans and center-right parties in normal countries is much larger than Americans realize. They're completely abnormal.

RC

Banned
Absolutely disgusting.

But more than likely it'll go through significant changes before being passed by the senate.

Smiley90

Absolutely disgusting.

But more than likely it'll go through significant changes before being passed by the senate.

Senate needs 60 votes which it'll never get. But still. I hope people actually show up to vote in 2018 for the midterms for House & Governor races because the House GOP passing this is absolutely vile. How anyone not super rich could vote for that I will never understand.

bigJP

House GOP passed the AHCA. Will likely fail the senate, but still.

Millions of people would lose health insurance and go bankrupt and/or die.

Pre-existing conditions not covered.

Being raped, a victim of domestic violence or having a c-section now count as pre-existing condition and make you either lose health insurance or have your costs skyrocket.

I pay 50USD/month for health insurance in Canada, 0 deductible except for 200$ on prescription medicine. 50/month is waived for low-income. I've never been more glad to be here. My sister has T1 diabetes, the GOP would've basically condemned her to a life in debt.

nothing really surprises me anymore

Samyy

Like how are there even people who voted for both Obama and Trump
Like seriously you have to be mentally ill to go from voting for Obama to Trump

Foggy

The ineptitude and callous response to gun regulation after Sandy Hook broke me of any optimism for this country. Everything after has just been a deeper sense of hollowing.

Smiley90

For a LOT of people, it's a religion thing.

One party loves Jesus, the other kills unborn babies.

The party with the guy who's been married 3 times and rather goes golfing instead of visiting his wife&sun is the party of religious&family values, go figure

Socreges

Banned
For a LOT of people, it's a religion thing.

One party loves Jesus, the other kills unborn babies.
The backbone of the party is wealthy people voting FOR their interests, of course. Lower taxes, less regulation, and a smaller welfare state as 'they got theirs'.

But they alone can't constitute enough to win elections. So over the decades they've generated a base of people largely voting against their interests whose election priorities have become religion, guns, patriotism, etc. Poor education has been at the heart of this.

Trump's base is very similar, but while he lost a lot of Repubs/cons/independents who can't stomach voting for him he also won over a lot of new (?) marginalized voters who want to see the world burn. Trump's anti-PC campaign roped them in. Bigots generally that despise liberal ideology. A lot of them seem like they were spurned by the world in some way and congregate online anonymously to try and fuck over minorities, women, 'leftists', etc

imBask

Banned
The party with the guy who's been married 3 times and rather goes golfing instead of visiting his wife&sun is the party of religious&family values, go figure

Fox News doesn't talk about that. Those people are uninformed, and when they do get informed, they're in full on confirmation bias

PillarEN

Like how are there even people who voted for both Obama and Trump
Like seriously you have to be mentally ill to go from voting for Obama to Trump

I have to say this made me laugh. It's truly bizarre. It's sad but all I can do is just laugh at how dumb some people are.

Smiley90

calder

Senate won't vote on House-passed healthcare bill
by Susan Ferrechio | May 4, 2017, 2:59 PM

Senate Republicans said Thursday they won't vote on the House-passed bill to repeal and replace Obamacare, but will write their own legislation instead.

Holy shit I do not understand American politics. Is there a cartoon bill that can explain this shit to me?

Smiley90

Holy shit I do not understand American politics. Is there a cartoon bill that can explain this shit to me?

Bill was never going to pass in the Senate. Senate basically goes "good job" and throws the bill that the House just passed in the trash, writes their own thing, votes on it and then hands that back to the House to vote on. No way the Senate comes up with anything as vile as the House Freedom Caucus so whatever the Senate writes is even more unlikely than this current bill to pass the House.

And the wheels go round and round

Parch

Conservatives in Canada are angels compared to the GOP though. They're not as downright evil and vile.
Canadian Liberals desperately wanting Canadian Conservatives to be just like the America conservatives is actually hilarious. Canada is not the United States.

It's Canada. Show some faith. Canadians, all Canadians, are centrist. The unfair villainization by eastern Canada against western Canada is a bunch of bullshit. Don't believe it. Canadians are a lot alike, but some simply refuse to believe it.

Socreges

Banned
Canadian Liberals desperately wanting Canadian Conservatives to be just like the America conservatives is actually hilarious. Canada is not the United States.

It's Canada. Show some faith. Canadians, all Canadians, are centrist. The unfair villainization by eastern Canada against western Canada is a bunch of bullshit. Don't believe it. Canadians are a lot alike, but some simply refuse to believe it.
Yeah. Canadian conservatives are still by and large ignorant, short-sighted, and self-serving, but they definitely aren't as bad as American conservatives.

This is well understood, though, I'd say. I've seen recent comparisons, but usually it's tied to Canadians supporting Trump or attacking Hillary. The 'lock her up' stuff in Alberta was pretty dismaying.

Foggy

Life comes at you fast. No nation is immune to what's happening here.

The WHL Bantam Draft.

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL3Bicy50d2ltZy5jb20vbWVkaWEvQy1feU1EZVV3QUFwQ3JzLmpwZzpsYXJnZSJ9.1Kg4IZzc0dbvUknpEUvfU0ecLB8

Those names... Scout Truman!

Socreges

Banned
Master of None is back 😳

Hope it's as good as the first season

The WHL Bantam Draft.

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL3Bicy50d2ltZy5jb20vbWVkaWEvQy1feU1EZVV3QUFwQ3JzLmpwZzpsYXJnZSJ9.1Kg4IZzc0dbvUknpEUvfU0ecLB8

Those names... Scout Truman!
I wonder how these trends happen. We named our dog after a 1992 Twin Peaks character because we had the show on while we were deliberating. I was convinced it would be unique. A month later when we were on the beach with him we ran into two other dogs with the same name. What the fuck

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Just cuz we're not 'merica yet doesn't mean Harper and his ilk wouldn't lead us down that path if they could. He wasn't as blatant about it but he definitely tried (& in some cases succeeded) to. I still can't believe he got away with the whole science gag order shit. Asshat should be in prison.

Top Bottom