• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

zroid

Banned
Apparently Switzerland pulled an Oilers this morning against Slovenia

Swiss were up 4-1 in the 3rd period. Slovenia got one back. Then the Smellies took THREE separate minor penalties in the space of 2 minutes. :lol

Slovenia scored twice in the ensuing power plays.

Switzerland still won in a shootout (it's the worlds so they lost a point, at least)

PillarEN

Apparently Switzerland pulled an Oilers this morning against Slovenia

Swiss were up 4-1 in the 3rd period. Slovenia got one back. Then the Smellies took THREE separate minor penalties in the space of 2 minutes. :lol

Slovenia scored twice in the ensuing power plays.

Switzerland still won in a shootout (it's the worlds so they lost a point, at least)

I wonder if Anze is playing for his country.

EDIT: Nope. He's not.

Syrinx

The contract is a bit bigger than I thought, but like I said when we got him, the Canes need to spend a decent amount of money just to get to the floor. And we need goaltending like....really badly.

Excited to see how he does.

Stasis

Lol. I know. We're in Quebec. It's just rain and shit constantly.

We'll be there June 10th. MAYBE it'll be decent. I mean, some sun and 20c-ish and I'll be happy. If the deluge lets up, 20c + is normal for that time period. Here at least. Sandbanks area no?

zroid

Banned
this has gone too far

0536243c82ab414fa012f5064e8fef00.png

much.. too .. far..

Is the NBA interested in league parity? Ridiculous that the same teams make the finals every year. If the Cavaliers finished higher, the Raptors could've just lost to them in the conference finals like last year.

zroid

Banned
Is the NBA interested in league parity? Ridiculous that the same teams make the finals every year. If the Cavaliers finished higher, the Raptors could've just lost to them in the conference finals like last year.

I don't think they are interested in parity, because they are so much about branding their star players, but tbh basketball is intrinsically ill-suited to parity. It would be really hard to achieve.

Yawnier

Banned
this has gone too far

http://image.prntscr.com/image/0536243c82ab414fa012f5064e8fef00.png[IMG]

much.. too .. far..[/QUOTE]

Everybody talking about Dart Guy being a sellout but I'm wondering what's the deal with the ALLIN hashtag? Minnesota Wild reference...?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

There hasn't been parity in the NBA since the 50s basically. It's served them well.

People love to bitch and complain about it but everyone seems to know about every super team and instantly know if that team starts to struggle or if they win consecutive titles.

calder

Really interesting look at draft rankings from Canucks Army: Which Service Has the Most Outlandish 2017 NHL Draft Rankings?

That’s why it’s so important to know which services are out to lunch. It’s important to have variety of course, and no two lists should look exactly alike, but when some lists are so far from the norm, you naturally begin to wonder two things: one, do they really know what they’re doing? And two, are they as concerned with getting attention as they are with supplying an accurate list?
---
Before we look at the rankings themselves, it’s important to make a distinction here. The purpose of this article is to find out which service’s list is the most outlandish with regards to the average between them. It doesn’t measure which rankings have had the most success in the past, and as such it’s possible that some lists, in deviating from the norm, are actually a better bet to be correct in the future.

The most 'typical' lists (no surprise):
Before we get to the hot takes, note that one of the most conservative services is TSN’s Bob McKenzie. This is probably not a coincidence, given the fact that McKenzie’s rankings themselves are in fact consolidations of surveys he puts out to scouts and executives on various NHL teams. His list already has the same benefits of my consolidated lists: varied expertise with at least some built-in bias protection.

The least typical list:
Draftbuzz’s average standard deviation of 1.20 is an impressive feat to be sure, especially since they still had Hischier and Patrick as their top two. Surely if they really wanted to get some attention, they could have dropped Patrick down to 5th, or something crazy like that. The rest of their first round is is just an absolute yard sale, with Gabriel Vilardi at 10, Mittelstadt at 13 and Timothy Liljegren at 18, bumping very good 10-15 picks like Lias Andersson and Elias Pettersson over their heads into the top five. After the top two, only two of the remaining 29 players are even within 3 spots of their respective averages (Cody Glass – 10.9, 8; and Shane Bowers – 27.7, 30).

The full section on what the fuck is going on with Draftbuzz is worth reading; their difference from everyone else is one thing but their wild swings in rankings compared to themselves is really strange.

calder

Somewhat related, the Ottawa Hockey Analytics at Carleton is happening right now, and everyone's favourite ESPN Insider Corey Pronman just gave a presentation that finished a few minutes ago. He spoke about one of his favourite topics - the role of birthdays in a calendar draft year in determining where a guy lands. Gave some numbers to show that teams still over rate guys with early birthdays.

25% of draft success is due to skill. 75% is due to randomness.
-Pronman #OTTHAC17

Scouts show no repeatability in terms of identifying talent. Lots of randomness in the draft.
-Pronman #OTTHAC17

Based on @coreypronman's study from 1990 and 2010, NHL teams were neither consistently good nor bad at drafting. Mostly just luck #OTTHAC17

Teams are consistently fooled, drafting older players in the entry draft, winding up with skaters who produce less.

Pronman compares Patrick, Dubois, and Suzuki. A birth date adjustment shows Suzuki compares well w/ the others.

Sounds about right. At least a couple of other OTTHAC presentations have mentioned similar findings about long term success a the draft, most ppl agreeing the only way to have actual long term success at the draft is to have lots of picks to up your chances of getting lucky.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Agreed. Nothing against Dart Guy. Nothing to lose for him

Kinda. The Ken Bone love was ironic because of his name and appearance. Dart Guy is...I dunno.

Is that Giroux?

Gudas on Giroux, some Flyer-on-Flyer action

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
the marlies are losing their shit right now on the refs

don't blame them

leipsic tossed

keefe is getting livid

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
kapanen :O

oh it was dotchin again? that's now kapanen, nielsen, gauthier that he's successfully injured this season and he also targeted matthews with his knee

Socreges

Banned
Seconded.

Not as cringey as the St. Louis Blues fan that was treated as a novelty for some reason...
Black people using social media memes are a rare commodity in the NHL fanbase, I'd guess. Everyone seized on it because a) encouraging any new fan is good, b) promoting the idea that the NHL is 'lit' or cool is obvious, and c) gotta get black people watching

zroid

Banned
LOL yesterday after Slovakia won their game, the Slovenian national Anthem started playing. then after they realized the error the arena announcer apologized and said "it's not possible to play the Slovakia anthem, sorry" (paraphrased)

brutallllll

Pikma

Banned
LOL yesterday after Slovakia won their game, the Slovenian national Anthem started playing. then after they realized the error the arena announcer apologized and said "it's not possible to play the Slovakia anthem, sorry" (paraphrased)

brutallllll
Lmao

PillarEN

Slovakia also seems to have zero NHL help this year.If they do I don't recognize the players.

Disclaimer: I wouldn't know anyone from Carolina or Phoenix anyways.

Top Bottom