• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

imBask

Banned
Of the 4 major North American leagues. The lowest amount percentage-wise. I'll actually say 0

No way man, don't you need to be somewhat decent at school to play football in the US? Just watching NFL post-game interviews, they look like Einstein compared to the average NHL player

PillarEN

The NFL has the most crimes each year it seems. Now they have more players, but even then. Can any NFL team go a season without someone smacking their spouse or being involved in a club scuffle leading to a shootout? How many years would it take the entire NHL to catch up to the Cincinnati Bengals?
I mean in the NHL we go big. Like Mike Danton trying to call a hit on his old man like 15 years ago. But someone like the LA Russian or Varlamov (and Roy) is something of a massive "holy shit, he did what?" Whereas in the NFL it's just another day and hopefully Goodell gives the man a couple games. And then ban Brady for some bullshit for a quarter of the season.

Marvie_3

Banned
No way man, don't you need to be somewhat decent at school to play football in the US? Just watching NFL post-game interviews, they look like Einstein compared to the average NHL player
You really think football players are excelling at school? Lololol

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
The NFL has the most crimes each year it seems. Now they have more players, but even then. Can any NFL team go a season without someone smacking their spouse or being involved in a club scuffle leading to a shootout? How many years would it take the entire NHL to catch up to the Cincinnati Bengals?
I mean in the NHL we go big. Like Mike Danton trying to call a hit on his old man like 15 years ago. But someone like the LA Russian or Varlamov (and Roy) is something of a massive "holy shit, he did what?" Whereas in the NFL it's just another day and hopefully Goodell gives the man a couple games. And then ban Brady for some bullshit for a quarter of the season.

Hmm what are you trying to imply here?

edit: Also serious question: For the kids who end up in the OHL/CHL/WHL etc. before getting drafted and then end up in the AHL after being drafted how many of them end up actually in school? Is it a prerequisite that they have to take classes or are they just focused predominantly on hockey?

Like NBA/NFL players even if they are taking "communications" as their major still have to go to school, do hockey players follow the same logic or no?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Found a part of what I was looking for:

For every year played in any of the CHL leagues, the top Canadian universities offer one year of scholarship to any CIS school.

So at least in the CHL after their careers are over they can potentially get a full ride if they never made it to the NHL. That's pretty neat.

PillarEN

I majored in Communicans & Mass Media. I don't like myself very much for it. Not because of the major, but because once it was too late I realized that maybe I'm not the type of person who would want to do marketing or PR all their life. Whoops. But I'm glad I had an internship at a digital marketing company to let me figure that out.

Luckily I don't want to be a doctor or an engineer so it's not like it matters. I can get a job in an unrelated field that doesn't require such expertise.

I majored in Communicans & Mass Media. I don't like myself very much for it. Not because of the major, but because once it was too late I realized that maybe I'm not the type of person who would want to do marketing or PR all their life. Whoops. But I'm glad I had an internship at a digital marketing company to let me figure that out.

Yeah I'm figuring that out and it makes me sad :(

But I have a couple escape routes in mind at least.

imBask

Banned
You're scaring me. I don't think I can get out at the moment. I don't know where to turn to after. Eek

once you're in an agency of any sort, you'll be able to branch out if you want to.

In those domains, your diploma is just a key, you open the door with it and then throw it away because everything you learned in school has been outdated for 3 years. You learn whatever that specific agency does and then try to find a role that suits you

Socreges

Banned

Luckily I don't want to be a doctor or an engineer so it's not like it matters. I can get a job in an unrelated field that doesn't require such expertise.
You mean...you're not a shitheel?

Couldn't you spin a Communications/MM major into being CRITICAL of media? Maybe you could be the next host of The Daily Show?

Some Hockey news:

oks @NYP_Brooksie

How much has Tortorella changed? Enough so that Jackets have inquired about Kovalchuk's interest in coming to Columbus, Post has learned.

WILD CARD BITCHES

Oh and
avis @DaveDavisHockey

According to @TSNBobMcKenzie on TSN690: Evander Kane "will likely be traded by the Buffalo Sabres"

PillarEN

Couldn't you spin a Communications/MM major into being CRITICAL of media? Maybe you could be the next host of The Daily Show?

You can work in marketing/PR for charities too Soc. Or the DNC (or RNC :D ). Or the Detroit Red Wings :eek:

I love Bill Hicks and laugh at his joke how advertisers are the devil himself, but if I was to be 100% honest it's not all about being a scumfuck that hocks cigarettes to teens. Good PR is not about lying. And boy do you notice when PR messes up. Though they don't always get the last word so sometimes it's not necessarily their fault.

Sorry, sorry. I don't want to get defensive. It's just not black and white is all.

Could you imagine Kane and Boko Imama playing on the same line on the Kings? Fuuuuuck they would wreck a lot of shit

King Imama will bring glory to Los Angeles.

Also Habs Re-Sign Martinsen for one year, worth 675k. I'm totally okay with this he's probably going to be our 4th line centerman

Martinsen was a non factor in every aspect, meh.

It sounds like they signed him for exposure requirements for the expansion draft.The Habs were short a forward. Vegas probably won't take him.

It was between King or Martinsen and I'm pretty sure no one wants King back.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

You do project management, right? Do you mind me asking what field?

Socreges

Banned
You do project management, right? Do you mind me asking what field?
Marketing

Engineering

You can work in marketing/PR for charities too Soc. Or the DNC (or RNC :D ). Or the Detroit Red Wings :eek:

I love Bill Hicks and laugh at his joke how advertisers are the devil himself, but if I was to be 100% honest it's not all about being a scumfuck that hocks cigarettes to teens. Good PR is not about lying. And boy do you notice when PR messes up. Though they don't always get the last word so sometimes it's not necessarily their fault.

Sorry, sorry. I don't want to get defensive. It's just not black and white is all.
I generalized. But generally speaking!

Smiley90

Go into Marketing if you like working 80h a week but only get paid for 30 and getting yelled at by designers

Marketing/PR/Communications is pure garbage, whoever is doing it right now, GET OUT OF IT!

Marketing

Engineering

I generalized. But generally speaking!

RIP

could've sworn you said project management at some point, but alright!

I'm currently trying to figure out how I can successfully transition from academia to industry with "only" an MSc, not a PhD. Most positions I'm interested in seem to require a PhD. And I'm not sure I wanna go back to earning 20'000CAD a year for tons of work for 6 years just to do that. If so then I might just go back to Europe for a few years (3-4 year PhDs and MUCH higher pay, i'm talking 3-6 fold), but then I might have to give up on getting Canadian citizenship. DECISIONS.

Line_HTX

Fuck predicability. There's no point or motivation in even watching the NBA. Knew all of this shit would happen one year in advance, what a fucking joke of a league.

imBask

Banned
RIP

could've sworn you said project management at some point, but alright!

I'm currently trying to figure out how I can successfully transition from academia to industry with "only" an MSc, not a PhD. Most positions I'm interested in seem to require a PhD. And I'm not sure I wanna go back to earning 20'000CAD a year for tons of work for 6 years just to do that. If so then I might just go back to Europe for a few years (3-4 year PhDs and MUCH higher pay, i'm talking 3-6 fold), but then I might have to give up on getting Canadian citizenship. DECISIONS.

just apply everywhere don't look at the requirements, with a MSc you'll be more than fine. Most requirements are overblown to scare people

Smiley90

just apply everywhere don't look at the requirements, with a MSc you'll be more than fine. Most requirements are overblown to scare people

Man it's a lot of work adjusting my CV everytime, I don't believe you. Natural sciences is a really tough field for jobs atm. :(

imBask

Banned
Man it's a lot of work adjusting my CV everytime, I don't believe you. Natural sciences is a really tough field for jobs atm. :(

well, I didn't mean it in the sense that it was easy to find a job, I meant like just apply and don't worry about requirements too much otherwise you'll drive yourself nuts. Whatever you don't know on the list you'll learn in-house

*take it with a grain of salt, I say this because this is how my field of work is but idk about yours

Smiley90

well, I didn't mean it in the sense that it was easy to find a job, I meant like just apply and don't worry about requirements too much otherwise you'll drive yourself nuts. Whatever you don't know on the list you'll learn in-house

*take it with a grain of salt, I say this because this is how my field of work is but idk about yours

yeah the problem is just that, at least in the natural sciences, there's SO many phd's looking for jobs too. And with an MSc you're automatically bottom of the barrel, there's no slim pickings at the top.

My degree is useless, just a vehicle for more school. Which I knew going in so that's fine.

Yeah, I'm in the same position

what degrees?

If Canada accepts Smelly of all people as a citizen I will have lost my hope in humanity

:(

Top Bottom