• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Quick

Banned
Missed the job talk on the previous page, but I figured I'd talk about my current job situation.

Currently back in retail at the job I quit before my previous job, and it doesn't feel like I'm working most of the time. Being back has been equal parts weird and oddly relaxing. After going through all that shit at my previous job (as a lot of you know), it's actually nice being in a place with a positive atmosphere. The people may not have the most positive of attitudes, but we're all in similar situations and help each other out.

It's also just nice being wanted and appreciated.

In some ways, I feel like this coloured my view of employment in general a bit differently. I came from a good retail job to a white collar job that treats people like robots, and now back once again to this rosy place. I'm also thinking that maybe working at my previous job really tinted my view of my current employer. It's certainly a huge difference in atmosphere.

That being said, I'm not satisfied with my current situation. There are days where I feel like I failed and chickened out by going back to a comfortable place, but in the end, I need money.

I'm looking at my options and I might go back to school, apply for full-time work, or look into advancement within my current job/company. I think my previous job experience is huge for my resume should advancement within my company be the route I take, not necessarily just at store level.

Marvie_3

Banned
Missed the job talk on the previous page, but I figured I'd talk about my current job situation.

Currently back in retail at the job I quit before my previous job, and it doesn't feel like I'm working most of the time. Being back has been equal parts weird and oddly relaxing. After going through all that shit at my previous job (as a lot of you know), it's actually nice being in a place with a positive atmosphere. The people may not have the most positive of attitudes, but we're all in similar situations and help each other out.

It's also just nice being wanted and appreciated.

In some ways, I feel like this coloured my view of employment in general a bit differently. I came from a good retail job to a white collar job that treats people like robots, and now back once again to this rosy place. I'm also thinking that maybe working at my previous job really tinted my view of my current employer. It's certainly a huge difference in atmosphere.

That being said, I'm not satisfied with my current situation. There are days where I feel like I failed and chickened out by going back to a comfortable place, but in the end, I need money.

I'm looking at my options and I might go back to school, apply for full-time work, or look into advancement within my current job/company. I think my previous job experience is huge for my resume should advancement within my company be the route I take, not necessarily just at store level.
i would hire you

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Random: How come sometimes Youtube will only have 1440p available to watch for videos?

My internet is barely fast enough for 720p, it can't handle this shit.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So aaaaaanyway, the Rangers' expansion strategy for keeping Jesper Fast appears to be "have him get hip surgery and be out of action for 5 months." Because that's what he's done. So that probably takes care of at least one expansion danger.

Still have to do something about Antti Raanta, though...

Yawnier

Banned
So aaaaaanyway, the Rangers' expansion strategy for keeping Jesper Fast appears to be "have him get hip surgery and be out of action for 5 months." Because that's what he's done. So that probably takes care of at least one expansion danger.

Still have to do something about Antti Raanta, though...

Calgary is the only team I believe at this point that absolutely has to do something with their goaltending

Raanta for a 2nd or 3rd rounder?

ShaneB

I hated my job before and I hate it even more now.

I didn't apply for a better internal position because the fear of what I didn't know outweighed and overpowered the confidence in what I do know.

When the new person came in I realized I could've done most of what they're doing and been a better asset than the nonsense I do now.

Time for a drink I suppose.

Quick

Banned
Yo Soc, Lamaroo, Samyy. Just finished Master of None season 2.

lN8Z9Tm.gif

calder

eating kfc .

It's funny/terrifying how we went from an American president like Obama to one who I truly hope eats himself to a massive heart attack asap. KFC needs to do us a solid and come out with a bucket of chicken that's nothing but fried skin in a puddle of extra oil just for trump.

Marvie_3

Banned
It's funny/terrifying how we went from an American president like Obama to one who I truly hope eats himself to a massive heart attack asap. KFC needs to do us a solid and come out with a bucket of chicken that's nothing but fried skin in a puddle of extra oil just for trump.
How do you kill something thats made of oil with more oil?

Quick

Banned
Please go on. Interested in your thoughts.

Allora...

I have a ton of thoughts running through my head, but I'll try to organize it.

It was a very personal story overall, not just in terms of watching Dev struggle with unrequited love, but in how it connected with me. I'm sure we've all been there before, so this feeling isn't unique to myself or others.

I certainly feel a level of connection to the protagonists of movies or shows that I watch, but I don't think I've felt so closely tied to Dev with this season as other shows. That all translates to my own shit lol. Episode 4 hit close to home, pretty sure I've said "haha oh wow" in my head just because it's all very familiar to me. That was a damn good episode also.

Now that being said, the Francesca arc was very painful, because it reminded me of a recent situation I was dealing with involving a friend that was very similar to what happened. In my case, the last episode follows up with a ton of pain. It's also almost cathartic for me to watch Francesca and Dev because it reminded me of the good times I had with that friend. It was almost like watching a dramatization of what happened between her and I, with certain differences.

The last two episodes will certainly be embedded in my brain for a bit of time.

Moving on from that, the entire season was catharsis in its entirety. Most of the characters gets their way, however convenient it may be:

- Dev ends up in Italy and basically has a vacation.
- Arnold reconciles with his ex-girlfriend after making an ass of himself in the party and everything was fine afterwards.
- Denise is accepted by her mother by the end of episode 8 and everything is good.
- Francesca gets the romance she was missing with Pino from Dev, but still has the safety net with marrying Pino and going back to Modena.
- Dev gets out of Clash of the Cupcakes, gets a great gig with Chef Jeff.
- While BFFs crashes and burns because of Chef Jeff's scandal, Dev gets the girl in the end.

It's almost like watching an extended version of 500 Days of Summer's Expectation/Reality scene, specifically the Expectation part. And man, I ate that up. It felt good to see Dev "win".

I'll share more thoughts later, I need more time to process. In a nutshell, this was a great season. Painful, but great.

Buona notte.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I binged Master of None season 1 this weekend. What a great "slice of life"-ish show. Very relatable. Dude has too much going on with friends to be me, but fun!

... now I gotta go back to find those spoilered Soc posts from weeks ago

Socreges

Banned
I binged Master of None season 1 this weekend. What a great "slice of life"-ish show. Very relatable. Dude has too much going on with friends to be me, but fun!

... now I gotta go back to find those spoilered Soc posts from weeks ago
You binged season 1? Or 2?

Cake Boss

Banned
Allora...

Moving on from that, the entire season was catharsis in its entirety. Most of the characters gets their way, however convenient it may be:

- Dev ends up in Italy and basically has a vacation.
- Arnold reconciles with his ex-girlfriend after making an ass of himself in the party and everything was fine afterwards.
- Denise is accepted by her mother by the end of episode 8 and everything is good.
- Francesca gets the romance she was missing with Pino from Dev, but still has the safety net with marrying Pino and going back to Modena.
- Dev gets out of Clash of the Cupcakes, gets a great gig with Chef Jeff.
- While BFFs crashes and burns because of Chef Jeff's scandal, Dev gets the girl in the end.

Buona notte.

That is true lil Quick, but
I also found that a lot of the characters had to suffer and had tp go through the trials and tribulations before they actually got their way or whatever they were seeking, like acceptance and/or love.

- The Arnold one I understand, he looked like an idiot but his ex still forgave him, but then again seeing your ex from a long term relationship just marry almost a physical carbon copy of you will be heart breaking as is, I don't know how anyone can withstand that, I wouldn't even showed up to the wedding.
-Denise got accepted but she still had to go through the pain of trying to convince her mother and family to accept her and whoever she was dating every year on thanksgiving, and it looked like it took her whole adolescence and adult life for her mom to be "ok" with her. I am sure tho there has/is been worst experiences than hers, but still wasn't easy.
-In order for Dev to get that great gig, he had to do alot of shit first tho, crappy commercials and small bits in movies, even when he got the parts it seemed to always go bad for him like getting cut out of that movie last minute in season 1, or experiencing some crazy blatant racism by the execs in those emails.
-Dev finally got the girl, but it took a lot of bad relationships and shitty hookups first, a lot of those bad relationships ending was also his doing but then again, everyone has their way of doing thangs.

Less anime, more master of none. Offseason > Finals thread.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Yo Soc, Lamaroo, Samyy. Just finished Master of None season 2.

lN8Z9Tm.gif

Everything about the show seems like a labour of love to me. I wonder if it could have been possible for this show to exist the way it does on any other format but Netflix.

I love that there's no set style for the directing and cinematography of the show. It feels like each director is given free reign to explore and shoot each scene the way they want.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Only knock for me with Master of None is that the acting at times is hit or miss.

In the first few episodes of the first season I thought Denise, Brian, and his parents were all poor, but with the exception of his mother, they all improved over the course of the season.

His father has such enthusiasm I can't help but love his line readings, his mother is still a poor actor, and his cousin that shows up in season 2 was really bad. Aside from those two, I can't think of any poor performances.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
When does Vegas do their draft? I've been completely out of the loop these past few weeks.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
In the first few episodes of the first season I thought Denise, Brian, and his parents were all poor, but with the exception of his mother, they all improved over the course of the season.

His father has such enthusiasm I can't help but love his line readings, his mother is still a poor actor, and his cousin that shows up in season 2 was really bad. Aside from those two, I can't think of any poor performances.

Yeah. There were very few poor performances.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Everything about the show seems like a labour of love to me. I wonder if it could have been possible for this show to exist the way it does on any other format but Netflix.

I love that there's no set style for the directing and cinematography of the show. It feels like each director is given free reign to explore and shoot each scene the way they want.

Fuck Netflix.

*remains bitter about the Sense8 cancellation*

Top Bottom