• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL PlayOffs |OT| Keep your hopes up, and your salt on the ice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man now I'm all bummed out thinking about how awesome The Score used to be. They knew they were a distant 3rd and didn't give a shit, everyone at the channel felt like people you could go grab a beer with and just talk sports.

Now...:(

Rogers now owns the Score, Tim and Sid are on from 1-4, Bob McCown showed up yesterday and they paid him 50 bucks cash to say "check the ticker" lol

Also got this gem from when Sid saw the news that Romero was called up

BJSB02BCQAEBtHY.jpg:large

We're basically now counting on 2 rookies to carry us. Love the Gallys, but they cannot be expected to carry the team on their backs at 19 and 20 years old.

Sens rookies combined for 4 points last night. Silf and Z-bad.

God no.

Our only option is to ride Anderson into the ground.

Lehner came up big against the bruins game that decided our playoff fate. We could had played the penguins now.

Quick

Banned
Jay and Dan leaving TSN?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo.

Happy for the both of them getting a chance to do something big in LA.

Alucard

Banned
Likely Pens lines from Penguins.NHL.com:

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Bennett - Malkin - Iginla
Morrow - Sutter - Cooke
Glass - Jokinen - Adams

Martin - Engelland
Murray - Niskanen
Eaton - Letang

Fleury

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
He actually got more than Ference literally sticking his elbow out at somebody's head got?

It doesn't really give me any satisfaction that he's suspended, but thanks I guess. Another case of basing the suspension on the result.

How 'bout all those "lol habs fans" posts now?

Socreges

Banned
Fuck. They were hilarious.

This is why Canadian television sucks. All the best writers/producers/actors/everything end up working in the U.S. That's where the money is. Then they come back years later when they're out of work and make shitty made-for-TV movies about dead Canadians that no one cares about.

Lol I'd say about 60% of the posts about the hit feature some level of gobsmacking idiocy. I actually just kind of skim replies from some people now or I'd have a rage stroke.

I quoted your post because, while we don't completely agree, your thoughts on the hit are cogent and reasonable. Which makes them the occasional sparkling oasis in an endless desert of illogic, queasily mean spirited trolling and plain dumbassery.
If Torres takes a run at Hansen tonight, however, I'll be throwing stones in that desert for the next 48 hours.

pringles

Likely Pens lines from Penguins.NHL.com:

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Bennett - Malkin - Iginla
Morrow - Sutter - Cooke
Glass - Jokinen - Adams

Martin - Engelland
Murray - Niskanen
Eaton - Letang

Fleury
Letang on the 3rd pairing?

That's an okay team. Yeah nothing special.

Feel kinda bad for the Isles, they'll be destroyed in 4 straight games.

TUSR

Banned
This is why Canadian television sucks. All the best writers/producers/actors/everything end up working in the U.S. That's where the money is. Then they come back years later when they're out of work and make shitty made-for-TV movies about dead Canadians that no one cares about.

Holy shit at how accurate this is :lol

So what the fuck happened to James Neal?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Anyone else have a feeling Healy will be going to fox too?

I am sure if the NHL growth keeps occurring as it is, may see NHL try to split the rights like in canada and have espn, NBC and fox have a bid war over the rights

Having NBC and Fox with hockey means ESPN will have to push a lot harder

I say short term we may see ESPN cover hockey more on sportscenter

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

I am sure if the NHL growth keeps occurring as it is, may see NHL try to split the rights like in canada and have espn, NBC and fox have a bid war over the rights

They should take PJ Stock as well.

I'd be ok with that. Hopefully he takes Stock & Weekes with him.

It amazes me how bad CBC is at hiring people for their flagship program.

Am I crazy to think the Gryba hit was relatively clean? That pass was the most egregious issue with that play. I don't see any contact on the head (unless I am going blind).

Quick

Banned

Are Jay and Dan headed to Fox Sports?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Is Prust like 10 years old? Bug eyed fat walrus sounds like something that would be heard on an elementary school playground.

Am I crazy to think the Gryba hit was relatively clean? That pass was the most egregious issue with that play. I don't see any contact on the head (unless I am going blind).

Almost all non Habs fan hockey fans agree that it was a legal hit. This is just the NHLs modus operandi, if you're an unknown player you're screwed. I think the Ference hit was worse because he was actually going for an elbow to the head.

calder

Are Jay and Dan headed to Fox Sports?

Yep, to the new Fox Sports 1.

On the MvW podcast a couple of weeks ago Jeff Marek was dropping hints about the Fox Sports new national venture potentially poaching some big names that hockey fans would recognize, I bet he was talking about this.

It was part of a larger converstation about how TSN and Sportsnet in Canada are so competitive it's almost impossible for people on one network to have any contact with properties on the 'other side', so for example MvW had trouble getting anyone on the show to talk about the Jets since Winnipeg was such a TSN shop. He went on to wonder if the new Fox Sports thing would mean ESPN would tighten up their rules about employees appearing elsewhere, because currently they don't care much if their reporters pop up on a rival RSN's podcast or panel show because ESPN doesn't really consider the regionals to be real rivals.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

I thought it was clean, too. I mean, he does definitely catch him right under the jaw with his shoulder in the process, but I don't think it was a dirty hit or one with the intent to injure. It was just the velocity and the way he buzzed in combined with how wide open the pass left Eller that caused the initial damage, and then smashing his face into the ice did the rest.

I guess it's just that you see that much blood and damage to a player and assume foul play? I don't know. I'm assuming the Shanaban video is going to argue that the head was the principle point of contact, which I'm not sure I agree with.

If Gryba's hit is 2 games, Dustin Brown should be sitting for a month for his attempted mugging last night. It's just that he wasn't nearly as successful.

Socreges

Banned
You probably just haven't seen the hit on a good feed? Gryba's shoulder hit Eller in the head, and may have even knocked him out before he hit the ice.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
You probably just haven't seen the hit on a good feed? Gryba's shoulder hit Eller in the head, and may have even knocked him out before he hit the ice.

I'd say he was definitely out cold at the point of contact.

Stuff like Brown's attempt, and Ference's hit should be punished more than something like Gryba's imo. Those guys went out of their way to try and hurt someone, Gryba was throwing a hockey check at least, but he still hit the head first.

ShaneB

It amazes me how bad CBC is at hiring people for their flagship program.

They have Andi, all is well.

Almost all non Habs fan hockey fans agree that it was a legal hit. This is just the NHLs modus operandi, if you're an unknown player you're screwed. I think the Ference hit was worse because he was actually going for an elbow to the head.

I'm not specifically a habs fan, and like to think I can be impartial, and as I've discussed, I don't think it's a clean hit at all. What did Gryba expect to happen except destroy Eller in one way or another? With the speed of the game now, any sort of open ice hit like that can be vicious. You'll have a longer highlight reel of dirty open ice hits than you would of clean ones where the person getting checked gets up with no issues.

?

Not sure what you mean. The same goalie rarely start in back to back games and If Anderson get lits up tonight the mental edge is gone.

I agree with you.

My comment that our only option as a team is to run our starter into the ground was sarcastic and a bit of a dig at Montreal for sticking with Price.

Silexx

I'm surprised Gryba got suspended but I think I'm still going to withhold some judgment until I see the Shanaban video.

On another note, I am off to my cottage for the weekend and I need someone to do me a favour since I'll be without Internet while there. If on the off chance that Chris Phillips scores in tonight's game, please do a safety check on Cake Boss. It would be most appreciated.

Alucard

Banned
Is Brown's injury attempt actually going to be reviewed? Any updates on that? 'Cause that piece of shit deserves to sit out 5 games.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not specifically a habs fan, and like to think I can be impartial, and as I've discussed, I don't think it's a clean hit at all. What did Gryba expect to happen except destroy Eller in one way or another? With the speed of the game now, any sort of open ice hit like that can be vicious. You'll have a longer highlight reel of dirty open ice hits than you would of clean ones where the person getting checked gets up with no issues.

Not sure I quite understand this argument. People shouldn't attempt big open ice checks because they might hurt somebody?

sammich

I'd say he was definitely out cold at the point of contact.

Stuff like Brown's attempt, and Ference's hit should be punished more than something like Gryba's imo. Those guys went out of their way to try and hurt someone, Gryba was throwing a hockey check at least, but he still hit the head first.

He didnt hit the head first. This has been said and reviewed many times over. And as Bob McKenzie said last night, you can still hit the head. There is no rule against hitting the head UNLESS its the first/principle point of contact which it wasnt. Either way, i dont understand why they just dont do it like the NFL and institute a defenseless player penalty if they are going to bounce around with the rules. On open ice hits only though. Along the boards, screw that shit cuz players are smart/dumb enough to turn their backs into the hit. Ferrence should have gotten more for a blatant elbow.

Stasis

Gryba is suspended? Wow. Really didn't think that'd be the case.

I guess the result matters more than the actual hit.

Perhaps. It looks like he caught him on the shoulder, but it does seem his shoulder may have made contact with this jaw (effectively knocking him out on contact).

Sanjuro

If we're going to parallel the Ference hit, the hit here had less intent, but was far more reckless. Ference made the correct hockey move, ultimately nailing Grabo in the poorest possible location. They were both in a position of pending contact. Eller was just severely unprotected and not.

ShaneB

Not sure I quite understand this argument. People shouldn't attempt big open ice checks because they might hurt somebody?

Not sure it's hard to understand? It's ingrained from youth hockey that you don't hit people from behind (those stop signs on jerseys), so why is it ok to level someone open ice when you know it's going to kill someone?

It's a grey area I'm aware since I like hitting in hockey, we all do, but I'm baffled at players wanting to kill each other when they see an opportunity to do so.

Not sure it's hard to understand? It's ingrained from youth hockey that you don't hit people from behind (those stop signs on jerseys), so why is it ok to level someone open ice when you know it's going to kill someone?

It's a grey area I'm aware since I like hitting in hockey, we all do, but I'm baffled at players wanting to kill each other when they see an opportunity to do so.

You seem to be bringing a violent intent into all your posts on the issue that there is zero indication of.

I think with the recent criticism of the NFL, and the increasing science behind the severity of concussions, this might be the tipping point for the NHL to make some changes. This type of hit, legal or not, seems to skirt the lines and a hit this dangerous perhaps shouldn't.

sammich

Because its intimidation and not to mention you get put on high light reels. Violence like this will bring more attention. Plus if he didnt do the hit i think he would have probably got in big shit from the coach for letting up. Players will see that happening and be scared shitless of grabbing passes in the center of the ice. Maybe they rush a pass now to avoid a hit causing a turn over. Its called a suicide pass for a reason. This rarely happens and this one was to the extreme though. Honestly i understand the point to hit, but players dont hit to separate player from puck anymore, they want to separate head from neck. Unless you are changing the rules of the game in a huge way(larger ice surface or something) this will only get worse as players are bigger and faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom