• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL PlayOffs |OT| Keep your hopes up, and your salt on the ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

Stop bitching about the "suspension due to the result". That just shows an incredible lack of knowledge about the game's dialog in the various sports outlets or they are just homers upset about the home team losing a skater.

Hockey is still in the minority in most of the sporting markets in North America. In the instances that dialog is presented, it's going to be about the severity of a particular hit and all the concussion/modern science/fighting talk is going to be the in the spotlight for the entire league. Taking care of problems the next day with detailed video replay w/discussion is the best thing the NHL has done...out of all the major sports on this issue.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
He didnt hit the head first. This has been said and reviewed many times over. And as Bob McKenzie said last night, you can still hit the head. There is no rule against hitting the head UNLESS its the first/principle point of contact which it wasnt. Either way, i dont understand why they just dont do it like the NFL and institute a defenseless player penalty if they are going to bounce around with the rules. On open ice hits only though. Along the boards, screw that shit cuz players are smart/dumb enough to turn their backs into the hit. Ferrence should have gotten more for a blatant elbow.

I don't see how Bob's opinion has any more weight than mine considering he was wrong anyway. Everytime I watch the video, Eller's head is the first thing to move, backwards I remind you, when the players collide. To me that says the head was the principal point of contact.

It's over now anyway, everyone who said it wasn't going to be a suspension was wrong, and the suspension doesn't help Eller heal any quicker, nor replace his offense in the lineup.

I thought it was clean, too. I mean, he does definitely catch him right under the jaw with his shoulder in the process, but I don't think it was a dirty hit or one with the intent to injure. It was just the velocity and the way he buzzed in combined with how wide open the pass left Eller that caused the initial damage, and then smashing his face into the ice did the rest.

I guess it's just that you see that much blood and damage to a player and assume foul play? I don't know. I'm assuming the Shanaban video is going to argue that the head was the principle point of contact, which I'm not sure I agree with.

If Gryba's hit is 2 games, Dustin Brown should be sitting for a month for his attempted mugging last night. It's just that he wasn't nearly as successful.

Gryba never tried to hit his body. If he wanted to hit him cleanly, he would have aimed for eller's left shoulder. He got 2 games, he'll be back. It's not like it's alfredson. Maclean's comments though are fuckin dumb. I don't care where your loyalties lie, that was some stupid shit to say and he's not helping his team.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
3 hours to go!

LHuTB.gif

Cake Boss

Banned
I'm surprised Gryba got suspended but I think I'm still going to withhold some judgment until I see the Shanaban video.

On another note, I am off to my cottage for the weekend and I need someone to do me a favour since I'll be without Internet while there. If on the off chance that Chris Phillips scores in tonight's game, please do a safety check on Cake Boss. It would be most appreciated.

iunPpO4C2oXDx.gif

Alucard

Banned
Brown isn't going to get anything because he didn't actually pull off what he was attempting.

Still stupid. The point is that he intended and attempted to clearly injure a player. Should be like in a criminal case when a person is charged with conspiracy to commit murder or attempted murder. I know the vocabulary is not the same, but I think the basic ideas in both situations stick.

CrankyJay

Banned
I thought the hit was extremely careless. Even if it was legal if you go by technicalities, I for one am happy hits like that are punished.

It's not the hit that was punished, it was Eller getting knocked out cold and the injury that insued afterwards, otherwise there would be a shitload more suspensions.

The NHL is basically saying if someone makes a suicide pass you better let the pass receiver through or you might get suspended if he ends up bleeding...LOL

Alucard

Banned
I'll actually be missing the Pens game tonight since I'll be driving from Montreal to Hamilton. Will just track it on my phone. Go Pens!

Cake Boss

Banned
Wait wait I missed the salt mania last night, there are some dumb motherfuckers in here.

Gryba should have let up? WHAT IN THE FUCK DID I JUST READ?

I guess # 76 should have let up too.

iogZJMZ4dMBMF.gif

but nooo, when # 76 does it, its a great fucking hit, the funny thing is that he tried it again in the next shift against a 5'9 Pageau, and missed.

SHOULD HAVE LET UP BRO

Ricker

I said Habs in 5(lol) so needless to say they have to win tonight and yeah...who knows hehe,could happen...Go Habs.(I'm fucked :p )

CrankyJay

Banned
Wait wait I missed the salt mania last night, there are some dumb motherfuckers in here.

I guess Subban should have let up too.

iogZJMZ4dMBMF.gif

but nooo, when subban does it, its a great fucking hit, the funny thing is that he tried it again in the next shift against a 5'9 Pageau, and missed.

SHOULD HAVE LET UP BRO

Neil should have laid on the ice for 5 minutes and used a mini razor blade tucked in his glove to cut his head open a la WWE....then there'd be a suspension.

Shanahan is a fucking joke.

FUCKING LOL at Brandon Prust calling the Sens coach a bug-eyed fat walrus.

Neil should have laid on the ice for 5 minutes and used a mini razor blade tucked in his glove to cut his head open a la WWE....then there'd be a suspension.

Officiating in the playoffs has been a joke in general, at least in the games I've seen. Can't wait to see how many 10-minute misconducts for light shoving we'll see tomorrow.

Cake Boss

Banned
So TSN, CBC, Sportsnet, NBC, Pierre Mguirre and all other non habs fans think its a clean hit, even fucking RDS thinks its a clean hit, basically everyone in the hockey world thinks so, what does Shanny do? Suspend the guy for 2 games for a body check.

If anything that mother fucker should be apologizing for the fucking 5 minute power play, interference my asshole.

RIP Hockey.

CrankyJay

Banned
So TSN, CBC, Sportsnet, NBC, Pierre Mguirre and all other non habs fans think its a clean hit, even fucking RDS thinks its a clean hit, what does Shanny do? Suspend the guy for 2 games for a body check.

If anything that mother fucker should be apologizing for the fucking 5 minute power play, interference my asshole.

The refs handled it wrong and freaked out...

gaming_noob

NHL should fine Prust for that walrus comment. In any other league he'd get fined. Let's try to make this game more professional...right now it seems like a bunch of immature adults on ice.

So TSN, CBC, Sportsnet, NBC, Pierre Mguirre and all other non habs fans think its a clean hit, even fucking RDS thinks its a clean hit, what does Shanny do? Suspend the guy for 2 games for a body check.

On the other hand we still won and the Habs are down a complete first line.

Sweep incoming

Merguson

Banned

FUCKING LOL at Brandon Prust calling the Sens coach a bug-eyed fat walrus.

ibec7xtzNRcs5e.gif

Cake Boss

Banned
Gryba never tried to hit his body. If he wanted to hit him cleanly, he would have aimed for eller's left shoulder. He got 2 games, he'll be back. It's not like it's alfredson. Maclean's comments though are fuckin dumb. I don't care where your loyalties lie, that was some stupid shit to say and he's not helping his team.

ibw18k1ZXhCZNT.gif

ibhArFEcd0cOzD.gif

Wait wait, Mclean should appologize for blaming that hit on #61, like everyone else is doing, but Prust is ok for calling an NHL coach a fat walrus? Then saying that he hopes Gryba doesnt get injured so he could get some revenge or some shit. Yeah I would pay to see that you dumb fuck, go against the 6'4 230 guy and see what happens.

HAB FANS. <3

cube444

Thanks, man. Always a long haul. Should be on the road by 6 and arriving between 12 and 1am.

How often do you do this drive? I did some work in Hamilton last summer/fall. Some good pockets amongst the mostly bad ones there. Love that little area near the Starbucks on Locke St.

Rome's hit on Horton (it was late, but Horton had his head down) gets 5 games in the Cup Finals.

Weber goes WWE on Zetterberg and gets a fine.

Cake Boss

Banned
This gets nothing.

iNSLjWbFMe6ba.gif

This also gets nothing.

iblMPuH9WMbvbb.gif

I am still waiting for the video explanation that he does, we're probably going to see it on AlJazeera instead of NHL.com with Shannahan on his knees reading a note while a gun is pointed to his head by a guy wearing a Habs jersey.

Alucard

Banned
How often do you do this drive? I did some work in Hamilton last summer/fall. Some good pockets amongst the mostly bad ones there. Love that little area near the Starbucks on Locke St.

Every 2-3 months or so. All direct family is there. Job and married life are around Montreal.

Hamilton gets a bad rap. Plenty of nice spots like the one you mentioned.

Socreges

Banned
iD4HYJnOv5OF6.gif

I guess # 76 should have let up too.

iogZJMZ4dMBMF.gif

but nooo, when # 76 does it, its a great fucking hit, the funny thing is that he tried it again in the next shift against a 5'9 Pageau, and missed.

SHOULD HAVE LET UP BRO
GEE WHY WOULD SOMEONE CUT OUT SEVERAL FRAMES LIKE THAT

icphV7y8mpKfw.gif

BECAUSE THOSE FRAMES TELL AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT FUCKING STORY

CakeBoss, it's good to have you back. You're a zany, sometimes funny, occasionally annoying, always entertaining guy.

But anyone who ever thinks "Cake Boss just made a good point!" should make sure their next thought is always "Wait what... let me read that again..."

Welcome back.

Cake Boss

Banned
iD4HYJnOv5OF6.gif

GEE WHY WOULD SOMEONE CUT OUT SEVERAL FRAMES LIKE THAT

icphV7y8mpKfw.gif

BECAUSE THOSE FRAMES TELL AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT FUCKING STORY

CakeBoss, it's good to have you back. You're a zany, sometimes funny, occasionally annoying, always entertaining guy.

But anyone who ever thinks "Cake Boss just made a good point!" should make sure their next thought is always "Wait what... let me read that again..."

Welcome back.

wut?

Oh but you using stills is completely fine?

If anything your gif proves my point homie.

Get over it, everyone outside Montreal thinks its a clean hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom