• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL PlayOffs |OT| Keep your hopes up, and your salt on the ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I don't know my Eastern Canada geography that well, is there a suitable location between the two cities for a good brawl? Of course NHL-GAF would rent a barn or barns depending on numbers.

I just looked it up.

Kingston, Ontario. I am pretty sure they have some barns there.

Socreges

Banned
So thats exactly what the TSN people said yesterday about the Gryba hit.
Kerry Fraser and Aaron Ward said that the hip connected with the groin and that the contact with the head was incidental. I disagree with them. If they're right, then I'd agree that it's definitely legal.

With the Subban hit, *no one* would debate that the head contact isn't incidental. You can clearly see him hitting the shoulder *first* and driving through and connecting with the head.

Cake Boss said:
What in the fuck are you talking about being deceptive and shit, I grabbed a gif right off twitter showing the shoulder to the head, then you post a better quality gif that basically confirms my point.

WHAT IN THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
Honestly, dude. Are you this stupid or are you just feigning stupidity to avoid looking stupid? The "gif" you posted was two frames! There were several frames missing, all of which showing that Subban connects with the shoulder before hitting the head.

Quick

Banned
Just imagine Nazem Kadri doing the same thing to Brendan Gallagher or vice versa.

It would only end with a full out brawl between the best of Leafs-GAF vs. the best of Habs-GAF.

anchorman-grenade.gif

Cake Boss

Banned

Honestly, dude. Are you this stupid or are you just feigning stupidity to avoid looking stupid? The "gif" you posted was two frames! There were several frames missing, all of which showing that Subban connects with the shoulder before hitting the head.

Ok and I was saying that the hit is basically like Gryba's where the head was the 2ndary point of contact.

I didnt' say that the head was the primary point of contact, I just said throughout the hit the head was touched.

Silexx

Well, last minute change of plans means I'll be going up to the cottage tomorrow, so now I get to enjoy Cake Boss' return for tonight's game it all its glory!

Solo

Man sens habs tonight is gonna be a bloodbath isn't it?

Nope. I think you'll find that both coaches have instructed their players to reign it in. There will be a few big hits and some scuffles, sure, but no all out brawls. Just tight-checking, hard playoff hockey.

Only way it becomes a gong show is if its a blowout either way.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Dave Stubbs said:
Excellent news: #Habs terrific athletic therapy crew tell me Lars Eller is feeling very good, resting at home
Excellent news. Curious as to how soon he could return, they must be concerned about concussion issues even if he is feeling fine.

Solo

Excellent news. Curious as to how soon he could return, they must be concerned about concussion issues even if he is feeling fine.

He returns to hit the series-winning homerun on one leg.

Seriously though: how epic would it be if the series went to 7 and he suited up in Game 7?

Socreges

Banned
Ok and I was saying that the hit is basically like Gryba's where he head was the 2ndary point of contact.

I didnt' say that the head was the primary point of contact, I just said throughout the hit the head was touched.
Fair enough. Any post based around a gif that changes reality like that is null/void, though, imo.

Re: the comparison

Subban's hit was clearly legal (except if you're going by the two-frame gif), and Neil wasn't at all vulnerable. That's why no one's calling for him to let up. With Gryba, not only was Eller vulnerable, but there's still disagreement about whether or not the contact was legal. I'm no Habs fan and would rather the Sens win this series, but I'm still convinced that the shoulder-to-head was primary, not incidental. But it's extremely close.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
He returns to hit the series-winning homerun on one leg.

Seriously though: how epic would it be if the series went to 7 and he suited up in Game 7?

If he has no concussion symptoms by then, put a face shield on and he is good to go.

:lol at above.

Solo

If he has no concussion symptoms by then, put a face shield on and he is good to go.

:lol at above.

One thing I can ABSOLUTELY guarantee: provided we don't get swept and there is a Game 5, you can bet your ass Eller will be in the press box and they'll show him on the jumbotron to get the players and fans jacked the fuck up. It will be electric.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hopefully Ryder can turn on his playoff beast mode to accommodate for Patches and Gios absence.

Socreges

Banned
One thing I can ABSOLUTELY guarantee: provided we don't get swept and there is a Game 5, you can bet your ass Eller will be in the press box and they'll show him on the jumbotron to get the players and fans jacked the fuck up. It will be electric.
They tried this with Mason Raymond, but he had a back brace on and looked like he just wanted to sit back down. It was depressing.

Cake Boss

Banned
Fair enough. Any post based around a gif that changes reality like that is null/void, though, imo.

Re: the comparison

Subban's hit was clearly legal (except if you're going by the two-frame gif), and Neil wasn't at all vulnerable. That's why no one's calling for him to let up. With Gryba, not only was Eller vulnerable, but there's still disagreement about whether or not the contact was legal. I'm no Habs fan and would rather the Sens win this series, but I'm still convinced that the shoulder-to-head was primary, not incidental. But it's extremely close.

Except the part where I was saying the hit is legal, I think both hits are legal and fair hockey plays, the difference is that one was a bit harder and didnt see it coming, it ended bad for 1 guy but not the other.

Hes' vulnerable because of that pass, his dman put him in a bad position just like Neil did skating up the wing with his head down a bit.

You could make the argument he put himself in a bad situation as well.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=56698720&postcount=4227

Cat Party

I'm glad there was a suspension. Delivering that kind of shot to a defenseless player needs to be taken out of the game. It's not dirty to me, but it needs to end anyway. Too much risk of serious injury. Too many careers cut short.

CrankyJay

Banned

lol

Solo

Eller's incident makes me think of some of the other awful Habs injuries in the past 15 years:

- Koivu almost losing an eye in the Carolina series due to an eye gouge
- Trent McCleary getting his throat slit by a skate and almost dying
- Richard Zednik getting destroyed on an incredibly dirty hit from Kyle McLaren
- Donald Audette getting cut with a skate right across the wrist and almost bleeding out
- the Pacioretty hit

Anyone remember some/all of these? Poor Zednik eventually went on to get his throat slit in Florida with a skate too.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Except the part where I was saying the hit is legal, I think both hits are legal and fair hockey plays, the difference is that one was a bit harder and didnt see it coming, it ended bad for 1 guy but not the other.

Hes' vulnerable because of that pass, his dman put him in a bad position just like Neil did skating up the wing with his head down a bit.

You could make the argument he put himself in a bad situation as well.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=56698720&postcount=4227

Cake Boss I think you lost some brain cells while you were disconnected from Gaf. The difference is one had the head as the principal point of contact and the other didn't.

CrankyJay

Banned
I'm glad there was a suspension. Delivering that kind of shot to a defenseless player needs to be taken out of the game. It's not dirty to me, but it needs to end anyway. Too much risk of serious injury. Too many careers cut short.

I envision the NHL turns every game into the NHL all-star game and the sport dies within a year.

There needs to be the threat of danger for these guys, otherwise this is all you're going to get. I can't wait until we revisit this hit with a different pair of people, and the defenseman just lets the forward go and everyone just talks about how the defenseman fucked up.

Cake Boss

Banned
Cake Boss I think you lost some brain cells while you were disconnected from Gaf. The difference is one had the head as the principal point of contact and the other didn't.

I guess everyone outside of Montreal is stupid except for the all mighty habbers.

Everyone outside Habs land have said the principle of point of contact is not the head hence why they think its clean.

Solo

I envision the NHL turns every game into the NHL all-star game and the sport dies within a year.

There needs to be the threat of danger for these guys, otherwise this is all you're going to get. I can't wait until we revisit this hit with a different pair of people, and the defenseman just lets the forward go and everyone just talks about how the defenseman fucked up.

The solution is equipment. Go back to softer pads. Gryba still lays the hit, but he takes something off of it to prevent injuring himself too.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Except for everyone outside Habs land have said the principle of point of contact is not the head hence why they think its clean.

It's a good thing he didn't get suspended then....

At any rate it is very close. When I see the freeze frame from the NHL video, it looks like the head gets hit first. That is what I'm going off of.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I imagine some gaffer discovering this thread and going "oh cool a hockey thread, at last others to talk about the greatest sport with me"

They then enter and read the last pages:

6yvc9yh.gif

And the insular circle continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom