• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL PlayOffs |OT| Keep your hopes up, and your salt on the ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Can someone here who watches a lot of other sports tell me if the reffing in other major sports is as bad as the NHL or is the NHL really that bush league?

Stasis

When bad officiating has the potential to change an entire series...

Rangers PP is horrible as we know, but had they scored on this missed call and won it vs. the potential loss and going down by 2? Total series changer. Awful.

Spazo

maybe because the player was not having full control of the puck

1 hand on the stick and puck was hit by the middle of the stick

ShaneB

Can someone here who watches a lot of other sports tell me if the reffing in other major sports is as bad as the NHL or is the NHL really that bush league?

There are blown calls in every sport, and every ref is terrible. :p

Just the way it goes, it's impossible to see every little detail live and think a game is going to be called perfectly unless you get rid of the human element of reffing. Meh.

Caps have got to shoot the puck more, great game so far, but my god! OT!

ZeroGravity

maybe because the player was not having full control of the puck

1 hand on the stick and puck was hit by the middle of the stick
It doesn't matter. Official NHL rules states it can be called if the puck is shot or batted out of play. You don't have to have control.

Stasis

I understand human imperfection completely... I just don't understand that things like this can't be reviewed or changed. The refs miss it. Fine. But the replays clearly show it, and broadcasters and analysts all see it and know it. Change the call. Simple.

Spazo

the thing is with penalties in hockey is that you lose a player for a full 2 minutes. It gives a huge advantage. No other sport like that.

so referees don't want to change the momentum or be part of the final result. they want to let players play

Magni

^ red cards in soccer? And yellows in rugby get you sent off for ten minutes (14 vs 15 for ten minutes vs 4 vs 5 for two).

It's a lot better than it is in soccer (my only experience with soccer being the CL/EC/WC, so where the refereeing should be top notch), but this game has been particularly bad.

Cake Boss

Banned
^ red cards in soccer? And yellows in rugby get you sent off for ten minutes (14 vs 15 for ten minutes vs 4 vs 5 for two).

It's a lot better than it is in soccer (my only experience with soccer being the CL/EC/WC, so where the refereeing should be top notch), but this game has been particularly bad.

Yeah but Red Cards in soccer arent very common, there is maybe an average of 1 red card per game where in Hockey its at least 1 penalty a period.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
102 hits in this game. Pretty impressive.

Every single Ranger has at least 1 credited hit. Well, except Lundqvist, of course.

Yeah but you have way more penalties in hockey

Fouls in the NBA can drastically change the play style of a player (foul trouble). Especially, if he's an inside player. Not only does it change their style, but the coach will often have to reduce their minutes.

Magni

Yeah but Red Cards in soccer arent very common, there is maybe an average of 1 red card per game where in Hockey its at least 1 penalty a period.

True, but an unjust red card (and there are a shitton of them) will fuck a team for the rest of the game. If you get an unjust penalty called against you (outside of the final two minutes or OT), you still have a chance to get back in the game even if you get scored against.

I hate poor or missed calls in NHL as much as the next guy, but IMO they're far from as bad as soccer blown calls are.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, the Ducks have only won 9 games out of 50 at the Joe?!? That doesn't seem right. Well I know 2 of those were in 03 and another 2 in OT in 07.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Special teams are killing us in this series (as expected).

1 PP goal and this series is tied.
2 PP goals and this could feasibly be a 2-0 Rangers series lead.

But here we are.

ShaneB

CAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom