• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL PlayOffs |OT| Keep your hopes up, and your salt on the ice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright since we already know Boston is going to beat Toronto in the 1st round. I'm wondering who Boston will face, I'm hoping for Pittsburgh. That would be amazing to watch.

If you said this a year or two ago i would've agreed. But this year its been pretty close between the two. The question is who wins? Kessel or Seguin?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm excited to watch the playoff preview shows tonight, really hope they reflect on playoff predictions from the start of the season, it's been a completely upside down year.

The Devils missing out wasn't that unexpected, though, was it? I mean, pre-season predictions were that they were one of the teams that was going to have the biggest drop off, primarily due to losing Parise and getting nothing to replace him. Them and the Red Wings.

Is it broadcast on a normal network in Canada?

CBC Series (everyone has CBC)
Leafs/Bruins
Habs/Sens
Wild/Hawks
Blues/Kings

TSN Series (if you have cable...)
Caps/Rags
Pens/Isles
Ducks/Wings
Canucks/Sharks

TSN getting a canadian series is very unusual, I guess part of contract concessions when a certain number of canadian teams make the playoffs.

Alright since we already know Boston is going to beat Toronto in the 1st round. I'm wondering who Boston will face, I'm hoping for Pittsburgh. That would be amazing to watch.

(6) Boston vs. (1) Pittsburgh means...you need to hope that Habs and Caps move on? I guess that's reasonable

Smash88

Banned
If you said this a year or two ago i would've agreed. But this year its been pretty close between the two. The question is who wins? Kessel or Seguin?

Leafs goaltending situation is iffy, and their defense is lacking to say the least. Leafs need to sort their goaltending situation before I think they're a serious threat. Seguin is leagues better than Kessel, and he is so much younger, can't wait to see him develop. Leafs gave that way for a mediocre player - that was a shame.

In regards to Leafs goaltending, I love Reimer's passion, but he is either hot or cold, or not there at all. He is all over the place, I don't see him as a serious starter, when compared to Rask, Lundqvist, Luongo, etc...

Not so sure about that.

I am.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else have finals starting during the playoffs? I'm lucky and might only have to miss one of the games against the Rangers.

ShaneB

The Devils missing out wasn't that unexpected, though, was it? I mean, pre-season predictions were that they were one of the teams that was going to have the biggest drop off, primarily due to losing Parise and getting nothing to replace him. Them and the Red Wings.

I think the west is pretty solid, hard to argue with any of the teams in the playoffs, but the east just feels a mish mash of surprises. It's been crazy.

I think a big upset in the making is the islanders outing the penguins.

None, scoring depth >>>>>>>>>>>>> top scores in a playoff series. Boston's depth is far and away better than Toronto.
:lol doesn't work that way looking at it from a league perspective.
Morning slip meant 15 to 3rd. First team to be last and go on to win their division.

Merguson

Banned
Could say the same for the Leafs making the playoffs.

I want an asterisk on that so in 2013-2014 when they miss the playoffs again we can say no playoffs in 10 years.

I could say the same thing for Montreal.

EDIT: Just because I was curious. I don't think it means much in the playoffs but whatever.

Leafs W-L record against Playoff Teams: 14 - 11 - 1

Non-Playoff Teams: 13 - 8 - 1

Leafs goaltending situation is iffy, and their defense is lacking to say the least. Leafs need to sort their goaltending situation before I think they're a serious threat. Seguin is leagues better than Kessel, and he is so much younger, can't wait to see him develop. Leafs gave that way for a mediocre player - that was a shame.

In regards to Leafs goaltending, I love Reimer's passion, but he is either hot or cold, or not there at all. He is all over the place, I don't see him as a serious starter, when compared to Rask, Lundqvist, Luongo, etc...

I am.

Reimer is playing a new style as opposed to the Allaire style he had been learning for the past year and it shows since he's back to how he was when he first came into the league. Hes stills young goalie at 25 and his flaws are easily fixable (i.e. going down too early or sometimes being too into the crease). But he has improved a lot since two years ago and his glove hand is a lot better than it was. Of course next year, since its a full season, will determine whether he goes from a good number 1 goalie to a great one. Time only tells.

And i disagree about Seguin being a lot better. Kessel has stepped up his game this year and is a completely different player now. He's become more well rounded and isn't just a scorer now. He's become a two way player and a good playmaker on top of his scoring ability. And Kessel's shot alone is just in a league of its own

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

I am.

Mediocre player? I know we all like to shit on Kessel but c'mon man.

And the goaltending situation is iffy? How so? Anyone who's watched the Leafs will say the two biggest reasons we're in the playoffs this year is our vastly improved PK and the fact Reimer has been solid for most of the year.

The only knock Reimer is getting now is "well he's never played in the playoffs". He's getting that chance now so we'll see what he's made of.

Smash88

Banned
Reimer is playing a new style as opposed to the Allaire style he had been learning for the past year and it shows since he's back to how he was when he first came into the league. Hes stills young goalie at 25 and his flaws are easily fixable (i.e. going down too early or sometimes being too into the crease). But he has improved a lot since two years ago and his glove hand is a lot better than it was. Of course next year, since its a full season, will determine whether he goes from a good number 1 goalie to a great one. Time only tells.

And i disagree about Seguin being a lot better. Kessel has stepped up his game this year and is a completely different player now. He's become more well rounded and isn't just a scorer now. He's become a two way player and a good playmaker on top of his scoring ability. And Kessel's shot alone is just in a league of its own

Fair point about Reimer. I guess we'll have to see next season how he truly pans out.

As for Seguin, I still think he is amazing, the stuff his did this season just blew me away. Kessel was no where to be seen for a good chunk at the start of the season. And when your teams highest goal scorer has 20 in this season (3 of which he got in the last few games of the season), compared to other high class fowards - I'm not holding my breath to say the least.

Mediocre player? I know we all like to shit on Kessel but c'mon man.

And the goaltending situation is iffy? How so? Anyone who's watched the Leafs will say the two biggest reasons we're in the playoffs this year is our vastly improved PK and the fact Reimer has been solid for most of the year.

The only knock Reimer is getting now is "well he's never played in the playoffs". He's getting that chance now so we'll see what he's made of.

Kessel, yeah he is mediocre, if you think he can be compared to other high end scoring forward, you have to be delusional to think so.

The goaltending is iffy, while Reimer is strong, he is on/off - if he's off you're screwed as a team, and you can't rely on Scrivens. What do you have a hot/cold goalie, that's still developing, and too young to be a #1 IMO, and a backup that shouldn't even be in the NHL.

Now he has the weight of Toronto media pressure (and fans), on top of the Leafs not being in the playoffs for nearly 10 years, and to top it all off, he's young as well as inexperienced.

I honestly cannot think of why anyone thinks the Leafs will beat Boston, if you look at this objectively, and without the tinted glasses that many Leafs fans (from reading around) apparently have.

dem

Missing the playoffs for 7 years straight isn't so bad..

I've just accepted the playoffs as a time to cheer against teams. Its almost as good.

:|

Smash88

Banned
Ovechkin was nowhere to be seen for over half the season. Guess he is mediocre too.

He picked it up and scored and did more for the team than Kessel. He has over 10 goals on Kessel, and what does Kessel have? 17 goals + 3 goals of which were scored in the last games. Come on now, be realistic.

Remember Kessel was brought on as a scorer, to boost the Leafs scoring potential, instead he is relegated to some sort of 2-way role when that isn't the type of player he is at all. I think his potential is being wasted in the way he is being played. But who am I to say, at this point I am just speculating.

He picked it up and scored and did more for the team than Kessel. He has over 10 goals on Kessel, and what does Kessel have? 17 goals + 3 goals of which were scored in the last games. Come on now, be realistic.

Remember Kessel was brought on as a scorer, to boost the Leafs scoring potential.

He has more assists than goals. Put two and two together.

Smash88

Banned
He has more assists than goals. Put two and two together.

I did, but when comparing two goal scorers, Kessel is lacking. The Leafs defense is lacking. And they can't put everything on Reimer's shoulders. What do the Leafs have over Boston that you honestly think will beat them? Please tell me? Because I sure as hell can't see it.

So because Kessel isn't the best goal scorer in the league he is lacking? He scored 20 goals in a shortened season and 1 less than Ovechkin last year in a full season. The Leafs are also 2nd in PK. Clearly that means they are terrible defensively.

dem

The Seguin suckoff show has gone on too long.
The kid isn't a dominant player

Phil Kessel has been better for the last 3 years. Get over it

Spl1nter

lol smash, just shut up you are looking like an idiot. You are talking about one of two players to play every game the past two seasons and be a point per game player. The other being Stamkos.

Merguson

Banned
Got more curious.

Habs record against playoff teams: 11-13-1

Record against non-playoff teams: 17-4-2

Sens record against playoff teams: 11 - 9 - 5

Non-playoff teams: 13 - 8 - 1

Bonus: Penguins record against playoff teams: 22 - 3 - 0

Conclusion: Penguins are going in dry

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Remember Kessel was brought on as a scorer, to boost the Leafs scoring potential, instead he is relegated to some sort of 2-way role when that isn't the type of player he is at all. I think his potential is being wasted in the way he is being played. But who am I to say, at this point I am just speculating.

So explain to me what makes him scoring goals in the last few games suddenly makes those amounts null and void? I'm not really understanding.

And on your second point...he's brought on to boost the Leaf scoring potential in your own words right?

Guess he failed there since he's the top goal scorer and assist man on a team that is 6th best when it comes to scoring in the entire league. Not to mention he's also in the top 10 in NHL scoring two years in a row now.

Definitely a mediocre player.

Smash88

Banned
So because Kessel isn't the best goal scorer in the league he is lacking? He scored 20 goals in a shortened season and 1 less than Ovechkin last year in a full season. The Leafs are also 2nd in PK. Clearly that means they are terrible defensively.

Yeah is lacking compared to other high end goal scorers, even when we don't compare him against Ovechkin. Yeah and Ovechkin had a bad season, but for a shortened season Ovechkin managed an astonishing 32 goals, which is pretty nuts.

Leafs defense is lacking, I never said it was terrible, I just said it lacks components in order to make it solid. And 2nd in PK, is great and all, but I'd love to see them perform in the playoffs. And PK alone cannot help you win every game.

lol smash, just shut up you are looking like an idiot. You are talking about one of two players to play every game the past two seasons and be a point per game player. The other being Stamkos.

I see I hit a nerve with you. Grow up, and go back to your cave.

So explain to me what makes him scoring goals in the last few games suddenly makes those amounts null and void? I'm not really understanding.

And on your second point...he's brought on to boost the Leaf scoring potential in your own words right?

Guess he failed there since he's the top goal scorer and assist man on a team that is 6th best when it comes to scoring in the entire league. Not to mention he's also in the top 10 in NHL scoring two years in a row now.

Definitely a mediocre player.

Yup mediocre by all accounts when compared to what the Leafs could of had with Seguin.

Giggzy

Detroit, huh?

They're the team I didn't want to face the most in the first round. They've been playing great down the stretch. Howard has been fantastic.

Ducks have some kinks that need to be fixed ASAP. Our power play has been pathetic and we still get into little funks throughout the game that have me a little nervous.

Great playoff history between the two clubs and the series will be a cracker. Bring it on!

Smash88

Banned
lol keep up the trolling than , I see you are pretty set in your opinion, can't sway you with them facts. You did hit that nerve on my funny bone pretty well.

I don't know, you seem a little worked up over my realistic comments and outlook of the Leafs. It looks like I hit your immaturity bone more than funny bone.

EDIT: I'm not being sarcastic.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Lol oh DAT salt is coming on strong!

Kessel is top 10 in points and Kadri has more points than some big players like Sedin and Nash.

Had Lupul not been snake bit again he could have been up there as well.

Our D isn't that great but Franson and Phaneuf are top 10 in points.

Reimer had a good season with stretches of good and bad play. It could be fatigue or players figuring out his game for those lopsided losses, but he does have a higher level he can access; he just needs to do it consistently.

So, while I do think the Bs have the advantage and we will still likely lose the series, here is why we may win

1. The Bs had a brutal fucking stretch down the last half, so they may be very tired.
2. Lucic has been invisible this season for some reason.
3. Bergeron may not be 100% after coming back from that concussion
4. All that emotion from the bombing could go either way. May be emotionally draining or go them motivation, BUT seeing how theyvee been playing these past 2 weeks, I'll say it hasn't helped.
5. I thought goaltending was a strong point for the Bs but I know Rask has caught a lot of flack this season too.

So I think we can at least steal one or two games and if the reffing is loose (we got a lot goons too) we could be in for a bumpy ride.

Still would rather have faced Mtl....

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Dorsett still practicing in a yellow non-contact jersey. Clowe and Boyle still not practicing at all. Michael Haley and Marc Staal practicing with the team.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Very weak effort Smash, very weak.

Zero facts to back up any of your statements but hey if you keep saying mediocre its bound to be right eventually eh?

Merguson

Banned
You guys should be made very aware of the fact that the Leafs threw away one possible future where Seguin is a Leaf and the Leafs go on to win five stanley cups in a row.

These are the facts, accept them.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
CHI in 4
ANA in 7
VAN in 5
LAK in 7

PIT in 4
OTT in 6
NYR in 6
TOR in 7

Upset city baby!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
You guys should be made very aware of the fact that the Leafs threw away one possible future where Seguin is a Leaf and the Leafs go on to win five stanley cups in a row.

These are the facts, accept them.
We were second last with Kessel in our line up. For all we know we could've been dead last.

Bah, Edm would've somehow gotten that first overall anyways.

I never realized until this season when it looked like the Red Wings might not make the playoffs how much people hated the team. I'm not really sure what they have against them but it's ok. Until the recent ascent of the Tigers they were all we had in Michigan. We need the Red Wings to counterbalance the Lions. Otherwise we are just like Ohio sports.

The Wings and Tigers more than make up for the Lions and the Pistons.

Alucard

Banned
Islanders are a perfect first round team for the Pens. Good enough to pose a threat, but bad enough to allow the Pens some mistakes and to work out chemistry issues once Crosby comes back. Think the Islanders will at least take one game.

1993. David Volek. NEVER FORGET.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Some great match ups, tomorrow night will be epic.

The Blues have been pretty inconsistent which worries me up against a team like the Kings, though we have more size and a better defense than last season. Seems like a toss up.

If the April Blues show up (especially Elliott), we stand a damn good chance.

Cat Party

Some great match ups, tomorrow night will be epic.

The Blues have been pretty inconsistent which worries me up against a team like the Kings, though we have more size and a better defense than last season. Seems like a toss up.

If the April Blues show up (especially Elliott), we stand a damn good chance.
The Blues this year remind me of the Kings last year. They are clicking at the right time. I think the Blues take it.

Magni

V34W9D2.jpg

HfDvTLJ.jpg
gyxwt9A.jpg

Full article: http://www.easports.com/nhl/news/article/2013-nhl-playoff-predictions

Reposting my predictions to counter EA:

CHI vs MIN in 5
ANA vs DET in 6
VAN vs SJS in 7
STL vs LAK in 5

PIT vs NYI in 6
MTL vs OTT in 4
WSH vs NYR in 6
BOS vs TOR in 6

---

CHI vs DET in 7
VAN vs STL in 5

MTL vs NYI in 5
TOR vs NYR in 4

---

VAN vs DET in 5

MTL vs NYR in 7

---

MTL vs VAN in 6
oh god I'm full on Tabrising now

CHI vs MIN in 5
ANA vs DET in 7
VAN vs SJS in 6
STL vs LAK in 7

PIT vs NYI in 4
MTL vs OTT in 6
WAS vs NYR in 6
BOS vs TOR in 6

Edit: Scratch that, I'm going with Washington over NY instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom