• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL PlayOffs |OT| Keep your hopes up, and your salt on the ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabris

Source?

Regardless of an anti-bullying campaign in Canada, I think a few grown men can handle some shit talk back and forth about hockey on a hockey forum. If not, there are some underlying problems that may need to be addressed.

I can handle it, but I was being honest that I am not a fan of it and that it does tend to be the Chicago fans on this board. What's the benefit of it? Making someone else feel bad for your own and others enjoyment? Isn't that what bullying is about?

It's definitely not fun having Marvie and Dastardly be aggressive at me with every post. There's a difference between in good spirits and what Marvie/Dastardly do.

I can handle it, but I was being honest that I am not a fan of it and that it does tend to be the Chicago fans on this board. What's the benefit of it? Making someone else feel bad for your own and others enjoyment? Isn't that what bullying is about?

It's definitely not fun having Marvie and Dastardly be aggressive at me with every post. There's a difference between in good spirits and what Marvie/Dastardly do.

Dastardly's

"Dear Tabris,

Get fucked.

Sincerely,

Dastardly"

aren't that mean.

Stammer91

Neo Member

Once again, horrible situation that poor girl was in, and actual bullying like that has no place, but everyone needs to realize this is not comparable. Anyone trying to compare themselves to someone who committed suicide due to extreme cyber bullying, physical and sexual abuse, and extreme depression when the only thing that was said to them was a bit of shit talk on a hockey forum is a delusional individual.

Regardless of an anti-bullying campaign in Canada, I think a few grown men can handle some shit talk back and forth about hockey on a hockey forum. If not, there are some underlying problems that may need to be addressed.
I sincerely think the people who have issues are the ones who constantly feel the need to repeatedly insult the same people about the same things on an internet forum.

I'm not talking about you, evidently.

Once again, horrible situation that poor girl was in, and actual bullying like that has no place, but everyone needs to realize this is not comparable. Anyone trying to compare themselves to someone who committed suicide due to extreme cyber bullying, physical and sexual abuse, and extreme depression when the only thing that was said to them was a bit of shit talk on a hockey forum is a delusional individual.

That's Tabris for you, though.

Quick

Banned
The abuse isn't coming out of nowhere. Certain individuals here know exactly what they're doing, and they definitely know that things they say set other people off.

CCF23

Yeah. If you don't like what happens here, you can leave. It's not like there's not a really easy solution if you can't handle it. Stop posting.

Sometimes I feel like people go over the line, but it's never anything extreme or constant.

Tabris

I'm not comparing, it's not at all comparable. What happened to that girl was gross. I was just saying that was a catalyst for a campaign against online bullying. There's degrees of that.

This is an overall problem with the internet, not localized to this forum. I was just commenting how certain individuals seem to be more aggressive and bully more.

Socreges

Banned
I wouldn't call Marvie a bully. He's more like the bully's little twerp sidekick that hides in the background until the right moment when the bully has the kid pinned to the ground and the sidekick jumps in and starts kicking him in the ribs. That's Marvie.

Yeah, that's... relevant.
I know. That stuff hasn't come up in years so I should probably drop it. But it just makes for such good material. Like calling someone salty when they're really not. Comedy gold.

CCF23

Did you quote the wrong person?

What? No. I was agreeing with what he said. There's no comparison to be made between what goes on here and something like that Amanda Todd thing. If, say, Tabris felt bullied to the point of him feeling shitty about himself, he could easily just leave and it would all go away.

Stating the obvious, though. Quick is bang on in what he said, too.

Marvie_3

Banned
I wouldn't call Marvie a bully. He's more like the bully's little twerp sidekick that hides in the background until the right moment when the bully has the kid pinned to the ground and the sidekick jumps in and starts kicking him in the ribs. That's Marvie.
Why you so mad, pumpkin?

Tabris

The abuse isn't coming out of nowhere. Certain individuals here know exactly what they're doing, and they definitely know that things they say set other people off.

Does the annoying kid in class deserve to be verbally abused because of his personality?

Like really, I'm interested to hear what people's opinions are on this. I'm able to handle it without an issue, probably a bit sensitive right now due to how shitty today is, but this is an interesting topic to see how far we have gotten in what we think about online bullying.

Let me know if it's not appropriate for this thread and if I should post in OT. I just think it's appropriate because we have our community's dynamic with me and Marvie/Dastardly.

Stammer91

Neo Member
I'm not comparing, it's not at all comparable. What happened to that girl was gross. I was just saying that was a catalyst for a campaign against online bullying. There's degrees of that.

This is an overall problem with the internet, not localized to this forum. I was just commenting how certain individuals seem to be more aggressive and bully more.

Perhaps a few people need to be able to take a bit of teasing or shit talking on here. No one is forced to be here or listen to anyone's opinions. If you can take it, then just take it and don't try to make a moral stand out of grown ass men (and women?) ribbing each other about hockey on a hockey forum. If you can't take it, then don't be around the obviously hostile situation bud.

Acid08

Banned
Does the annoying kid in class deserve to be verbally abused because of his personality?

Like really, I'm interested to hear what people's opinions are on this. I'm able to handle it without an issue, probably a bit sensitive right now due to how shitty today is, but this is an interesting topic to see how far we have gotten in what we think about bullying.

Let me know if it's not appropriate for this thread and if I should post in OT. I just think it's appropriate because we have our community's dynamic with me and Marvie/Dastardly.

Stop comparing yourself to kids being bullied online AND in life. You're a fucking grown man and this is the internet.

CCF23

Like really, I'm interested to hear what people's opinions are on this. I'm able to handle it without an issue, probably a bit sensitive right now due to how shitty today is, but this is an interesting topic to see how far we have gotten in what we think about bullying.

The annoying kid in class has to go to school. No one has to post here.

Socreges

Banned
Why you so mad, pumpkin?
I just like metaphors, sugartits.

On that note, the new kid on the school ground. That's someone that doesn't deserve to be bullied. All they want to do is cheer on their team. Everyone starts somewhere. All we're doing is discouraging the lurkers (and those "newbies") from ever wanting to post. If the new kid starts talking shit right off the bat, though, anything goes imo.

Man what a game. The atmosphere was unbelievable. As soon as I entered the building, a Subban sucks chant started...I knew it was going to be an amazing night. Sens fans didn't really have much to cheer for most of the game, which is why you could hear the habs chants starting to come through. It was about 80-90% sens fans at SBP, which is definitely better than usual.

Anyways, just fucking great, and obviously a huge huge win. Habs sat back in the third and the Sens played well.

Now gotta catch up on the rest of the matches.

LET'S DO THIS. I'M GOING TO POTENTIALLY RUIN THE CREDIBILITY OF THE TABRIS GUARANTEE, BUT I TABRIS GUARANTEE THE GREATEST COMEBACK OF ALL TIME!

Throwing out that good karma into the world. Let's go boys. I BELIEVE IN YOU!

Tabris

Stop comparing yourself to kids being bullied. You're a fucking grown man.

So once you are an adult, you should be able to emotionally handle bullying, so it's completely acceptable?

Where is the line? I've personally been called a c**t, an abortion, a re***d, among other insults by people like Dastardly and Marvie, not at all in "good spirits".

I'm definitely able to handle it, but do I like it? No. What benefit does it serve?

EDIT - I have also tried to join in and come back at them, so I am just as guilty. No sympathy needed here, but a good debate on what is acceptable and why it's acceptable.

People call you an abortion and a retard online because they can't do that in real life.

I don't remember seriously saying that kind of shit without joking to anyone since high school.

Online, people become psychologically violent for some reason.

CCF23

So once you are an adult, you should be able to emotionally handle bullying, so it's completely acceptable?

Where is the line? I've personally been called a c**t, an abortion, a re***d, among other insults by people like Dastardly and Marvie, not at all in "good spirits".

I'm definitely able to handle it, but do I like it? No. What benefit does it serve?

YOU.

CAN.

LEAVE.

That's the difference. Don't fucking play it up, either. You REVEL in that shit. You know full well the character you play, and you encourage most of the shit thrown at you by continuing to post your shit even though you know we all loathe it. If you didn't want to deal with it, you wouldn't post like you do, or you wouldn't post at all.

Socreges

Banned

You're persistently abused because everyone knows that you could correct your behaviour and stop being such a pest to the community. It's in your power. This isn't about you having pimples (ie, cheering for the Oilers), wetting the bed (ie, cheering for the Canucks), being very short (ie, cheering for the Habs), or anything else that would be out of your control (ie, cheering for the Leafs).

This is such a weird thread, haha.

You guys are all crazy :p
HE'S NEW

GET 'IM

Tabris

So abuse is acceptable to correct someone's behaviour when it's not desirable or at odds to the community? Or when they are to choose not to participate in the community?

Stammer91

Neo Member

Sports are the outlet to the animalistic side of me. I can tease and shit talk about hockey as much as I want on a hockey forum. If others can't handle what I'm saying and they are able to leave or avoid me with no problem, why is the burden on my shoulders to cater to their sensitivity? This is the internet and we are all grown ups, perhaps you should live up to that.

Marvie_3

Banned
YOU.

CAN.

LEAVE.

That's the difference. Don't fucking play it up, either. You REVEL in that shit. You know full well the character you play, and you encourage most of the shit thrown at you by continuing to post your shit even though you know we all loathe it. If you didn't want to deal with it, you wouldn't post like you do, or you wouldn't post at all.

Thank you.

CCF23

tumblr_md2vfj3KDI1rzb3qd.gif

Sibylus

Banned
Depressive realism wins again and addle-headed prophecy swirls on. But as always the sham prophet can't see the detritus at his own feet, too much blinding daylight through the coat of many fly-holes. Anointed of God, betrayed of Whimsy, slave to Faith...

He is the shitty wizard.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
It's weird, you know. I like to think we give most people a fair chance at being integrated. They can shit talk a bit, but as long as it doesn't go overboard or they are vocal about not liking it, we'll usually stop.

Tabris, on the other hand, has been in the business of trolling/shit-talking/going overboard back for SO LONG that it's become the "thing" of this thread to talk back that way. You can't just come out of the woods one day and say "I'm getting bullied" when all you've been doing was TALK SHIT BACK and do the EXACT same thing, and purposely troll. If you really want things to get better, and people to take you seriously, please start by posting seriously.

YOU.

CAN.

LEAVE.

CCF, I think "YOU CAN LEAVE" is terrible advice. We should be giving everyone a fair chance at being treated the way they want to be treated. I fully agree with the rest of your post though. The question is if they behave like they DESERVE to be treated that way, first.

You're persistently abused because everyone knows that you could correct your behaviour and stop being such a pest to the community. It's in your power.

Also, this.

Tabris

There's no character here, just me. I may exaggerate a bit to get my points across, but the points still are my opinions.

Socreges

Banned
So abuse is acceptable to correct someone's behaviour when it's not desirable or at odds to the community? Or when they are to choose not to participate in the community?
It's not my place to determine if it's acceptable. I'm just making an important distinction: you're not made fun of because you're 'different', which is what bullying is generally about. You're made fun of because you're deliberately an annoying dick and bait people into giving you a hard time.

Depressive realism wins again and addle-headed prophecy swirls on. But as always the sham prophet can't see the detritus at his own feet, too much blinding daylight through the coat of many fly-holes. Anointed of God, betrayed of Whimsy, slave to Faith...

He is the shitty wizard.

83ca76335c3d944e99cd95e147612edc.jpg

CCF, I think "YOU CAN LEAVE" is terrible advice. We should be giving everyone a fair chance at being treated the way they want to be treated. The question is if they behave like they DESERVE to be treated that way, first.
That's the smartest thing said here. I don't know Tabris' history so much, though, seems I missed this part. Hard to tell who started the bullshit, I guess. But if everyone says it's him, maybe it is.

CCF23

It's weird, you know. I like to think we give most people a fair chance at being integrated. They can shit talk a bit, but as long as it doesn't go overboard or they are vocal about not liking it, we'll usually stop.

Tabris, on the other hand, has been in the business of trolling/shit-talking/going overboard back for SO LONG that it's become the "thing" of this thread to talk back that way. You can't just come out of the woods one day and say "I'm getting bullied" when all you've been doing was TALK SHIT BACK and do the EXACT same thing, and purposely troll. If you really want things to get better, and people to take you seriously, please start by posting seriously.

CCF, I think "YOU CAN LEAVE" is terrible advice. We should be giving everyone a fair chance at being treated the way they want to be treated. The question is if they behave like they DESERVE to be treated that way, first.

Tabris has had more than a fair chance. That's my point. People have tried to fairly and reasonably explain to him why he's treated the way he is (I've done it on NUMEROUS occasions and usually when I do he just doesn't respond), and he just doesn't care. Like I said, he obviously revels in it, because he continues to post here.

Tabris

It's not my place to determine if it's acceptable. I'm just making an important distinction: you're not made fun of because you're 'different', which is what bullying is generally about. You're made fun of because you're deliberately an annoying dick and bait people into giving you a hard time.

Key word here, because I don't think I am.

Sure, I "headline" (as in newspaper articles) my posts to grab attention to my opinion or point, but that's a common thing needed to start debates on the internet.

I also post in here because I want to talk about the Canucks and hockey, and it's easy to post on GAF while I am posting / lurking on this forum for video game news / debates / etc.

Socreges

Banned

He is the shitty wizard.
54546-Cheers-Toast-gif-OLQT.gif

If NHL-GAF were a physical space, the post above should be engraved on a plaque and hung on the wall.

Acid08

Banned
Key word here, because I don't think I am.

Sure, I "headline" (as in newspaper articles) my posts to grab attention to my opinion or point, but that's a common thing needed to start debates on the internet.

When your comments are mostly baiting, sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom