• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL PlayOffs |OT| Keep your hopes up, and your salt on the ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cactus

Banned
Grammar question...

Is a possessive apostrophe required in a sentence such as this one:

"blah blah Kings Playoff Success blah"

I'm leaning no because "Kings" seems to operate as a descriptive adjective in this context rather than a noun. Am I correct or am I dumb? Any thoughts?

Grammar question...

I'm leaning no because "Kings" seems to operate as a descriptive adjective in this context rather than a noun. Am I correct or am I dumb? Any thoughts?

iK3uVXGd3Puo6.gif

Cat Party

Missed the games last night because I was traveling. Checked the scores. What the fuck is going on in the East?

EDIT:

Grammar question...

Yes, you need an apostrophe, but I usually don't put one in because I'm a fucking rebel like that.

The bigger question is why you are capitalizing "playoff" and "success."

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Grammar question...

The first and only time wsox's degree is needed and he's not even here.

Cactus

Banned
Missed the games last night because I was traveling. Checked the scores. What the fuck is going on in the East?

EDIT:

Yes, you need an apostrophe, but I usually don't put one in because I'm a fucking rebel like that.

The bigger question is why you are capitalizing "playoff" and "success."

Thanks.

It's a headline.

Grammar question...

I would use an apostrophe in this case as Kings in this case is more of a possessive noun. Just looked it up though, and the apostrophe is subjective depending on context/wording. I myself would go with "Kings' Playoff Success..."

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Grammar question...

Better way to do this would be "blah blah blah Playoff Success of Kings"

Then apostrophe is not an issue and it sounds better. Double Whammy

EXAMPLE:

Questionable Officiating Fueling Pengins' Playoff Success!

Uneven Officiating Fuels Playoff Success of Pens!

I think the second one reads and sounds better

Cactus

Banned

EXAMPLE:

I agree that the headline could be better, but I'm just a copy editor
(intern, unfortunately)
, so I can't really change the headline to that extent.

This sort of possessive shit always confuses me. I'll probably have to study the differences before I make too many errors.

Quick

Banned

EXAMPLE:

It seems awkward when I read or say it like that.

AV's gone, no question about it (though they won't fire him right away). Yes his record is pretty impressive but he couldn't win when it counted. Plus you have to give some credit to the players: with a lineup like that it's not that hard to win. Not sure who his replacement would be.

Canucks are in cap trouble this summer so some changes will be made, but nothing drastic will happen until the Sedins' contract expire next year.

Gillis may be canned as well. He's definitely made some questionable moves (Ballard, Hodgson) and his deadline deals have rarely worked out (Sammy Pahlsson anyone?) Yes he brought in Hamhuis, Higgins, and Garrison, and signed the core to some great contracts, but he hasn't made the right moves since 2011.

The Canucks are still a good team and will contend for the NW division next year, but it will be interesting to see what happens this summer.

bardia

AV's gone, no question about it (though they won't fire him right away). Yes his record is pretty impressive but he couldn't win when it counted. Plus you have to give some credit to the players: with a lineup like that it's not that hard to win. Not sure who his replacement would be.

Canucks are in cap trouble this summer so some changes will be made, but nothing drastic will happen until the Sedins' contract expire next year.

Gillis may be canned as well. He's definitely made some questionable moves (Ballard, Hodgson) and his deadline deals have rarely worked out (Sammy Pahlsson anyone?) Yes he brought in Hamhuis, Higgins, and Garrison, and signed the core to some great contracts, but he hasn't made the right moves since 2011.

The Canucks are still a good team and will contend for the NW division next year, but it will be interesting to see what happens this summer.

I hate to break it to you but....

Grammar question...

Better get this sorted out before that headline changes to failure.

Not really. We lose on home ice tonight and series is over. At least we might get a shakeup of this offensive juggernaut core.

Er..that's great but there isn't a NW division anymore. We're stuck in the legendary

~"CONFERENCE A"~
Ducks, Shorks, Nordiques, Queens, Oilers, Flames, Canucks

kassatsu

Banned
Vokoun starting game 5. Should have started game 4, if we lose Byslma needs to go.

Can't coach in the playoffs to save his life.

Megasoum

Banned
I think that was before he saw the puck in the net.

Ooo bulletin board material !

So that Stanley Cup was an accident ?

Maybe... Well I'm not even sure if the pic is real but if it is then I doubt that it was before he saw the puck considering the lights are on and the players are already celebrating... Unless he was really slow to react (which is possible of course).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Has there been any report about a disciplinary hearing for Letang yet?

Solo

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 1m Lars Eller skated for a few minutes this morning. #canadiens #RDS

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg

Cassie Campbell ‏@CassieCampbell 41s Gionta will undergo bicep surgery on Friday and obviously done for the season @hockeynight This was initially reported by @KevinWeekes

In my eyes, the end of his career.

Acid08

Banned
Niemi?

Him?

He had an insane year for us while playing more games than any other goalie.

Bobrovsky, Lundqvist, and Niemi named Vezina finalists
So fucking happy Nemo is getting some recognition for the awesome year he had. He gave us a chance to win every single night. So important to our team. I don't think he wins though. Bob deserves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom