• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL PlayOffs |OT| Keep your hopes up, and your salt on the ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
ZzLrFAA.gif
Did that fat kid not recognize Kopitar or something

Congrats on graduating Marvie, make sure to take some time to feel good about this, you should be proud.

Nice to advance, but the playoffs is so lame when you arent able to watch any games:( Reading about the games are only so fun...

Socreges

Banned
Those legs. Hiking legs

I'm drunk. So don't take what I write seriously. But you do have a habit of writing an essay when you rebut.
I "rebut" constantly. But a small fraction of those "rebuts" are more than a sentence or two. But truly I'm sorry if multi-sentence posts like this one have been taxing for you.

pringles

Argh, I was afraid this would happen as soon as Bylsma realised Fleury is the worst goalie in the league. Now the Pens are actually a contender again.

Also slightly disappointed by how easy Minnesota and Montreal went down. Not surprising though.

Hoping Detroit can push their series to 7 games, or atleast that the Caps-Rags or Kings-Blues series goes the distance. I need more Game 7 action in my playoffs.

>PLAYS ON THE EDGE, DOES WHATEVER IT TAKES TO WIN.

>DIRTY, CHEAPSHOTTING, LOUSY, NO GOOD, DOG! (lol it's double hilarious when a team with Kronwall on their roster says this)

Whatever, pick your typical response you expected.
Kronwall, really? Should have gone with Bertuzzi or Tootoo dude.

Socreges

Banned
The only thing I hate about Kronwall is how he uses his back to hit players. They need to make that illegal, but so far it's just been entertaining and not overly violent. He also seeks out vulnerable players, but it's not like that's illegal either.

RC

Banned
Those legs. Hiking legs

I "rebut" constantly. But a small fraction of those "rebuts" are more than a sentence or two. But truly I'm sorry if multi-sentence posts like this one have been taxing for you.

The drunk mind can only comprehend one thought at a time. Anymore and it's just a blur of shame and regret. But don't ever change Socs, you're the anti-Tabris as far as I'm concerned.

pringles

The only thing I hate about Kronwall is how he uses his back to hit players. They need to make that illegal, but so far it's just been entertaining and not overly violent. He also seeks out vulnerable players, but it's not like that's illegal either.
That should become the standard for open-ice hitting. Better than leading with elbows/arms/sticks, much less (basically zero) risk of head being the principle point of contact. Totally clean, huge hits that don't lead to guys lying on the ice motionless and bleeding.

Also targeting vulnerable players is what hitting is. He's always coming from pretty much straight ahead so he's certainly not blindsiding or hitting in the numbers.

Socreges

Banned
That should become the standard for open-ice hitting. Better than leading with elbows/arms/sticks, much less (basically zero) risk of head being the principle point of contact. Totally clean, huge hits that don't lead to guys lying on the ice motionless and bleeding.

Also targeting vulnerable players is what hitting is. He's always coming from pretty much straight ahead so he's certainly not blindsiding or hitting in the numbers.
My point was that he seeks them out. He's a smart player and can anticipate in advance if a player is going to be coming up up the left boards (his left) with their head down. It's predatory, but there have always been players like him.

And I completely disagree with your take on back hits. I think they're especially dangerous.

pringles

And I completely disagree with your take on back hits. I think they're especially dangerous.
I'd love to hear why you think so. Personally I take the fact that no player has ever complained about those hits, no player has been injured by those hits, he hasn't been penalized or suspended for those hits, and basically no one has said anything but "clean" about those hits as evidence pointing towards those hits being less dangerous than both his previous style of hitting, and hits like the one Gryba did for example.

Every game in the Blues Kings series has been a 1 goal differential with several OTs. It's absolutely possible and we certainly outplayed LA for the majority of Game 5. I'd say Game 4 was our only "bad" game and honestly we've mostly outplayed LA this entire series. We lack that critical forward/center to keep the offensive pressure going long enough to produce on Quick. It's very telling when the 4th line looks like the most consistent a lot of games.

LA definitely has the momentum right now and we are not our best in Staples Center. I don't expect a win, and if we do pull it off tomorrow, I don't expect us to last against an LA team on the ropes of the playoffs.

I would say the Blues have outplayed the Kings for about 2/3rds of the series. Just haven't been able to produce goals because of Quick, blocked shots, and a startling inability to hit the net. There are long stretches where they outright dominate in the offensive zone, too, like the opening half of the first period in Game 5. So I'm not ready to pencil round two in yet. Real excited, optimistic as hell, but not quite sold.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I had my taxes done by someone else, and they screwed up. Had to pay back some money to the government. It wasn't a lot, but it sucked giving back some money anyway.

The motion tracked decided to do that. It's late, so rather than fixing it, I said "fuck it" and let it go. I'll maybe try harder next time. :lol
You can have a person who knows what they're doing do their taxes next year and assess last year's return as well.

Unless you contributed to your RRSP(biggest factor here) and have education credits and TTC cards and home reno credits and a lot of other credits (charity, kids activities or some shit), or you make little money, you will more likely than not pay.

A good friend of mine is a CGA and after he explained it, it makes a lot of sense.

Socreges

Banned
I'd love to hear why you think so. Personally I take the fact that no player has ever complained about those hits, no player has been injured by those hits, he hasn't been penalized or suspended for those hits, and basically no one has said anything but "clean" about those hits as evidence pointing towards those hits being less dangerous than both his previous style of hitting, and hits like the one Gryba did for example.
Damn you for not just believing me. But Kronwall is both a Red Wing AND Swedish so of course you'll go to bat for him. :p

First off, you're poisoning the well by making the comparison between the back hit and ILLEGAL normal hits, as if they are always unavoidable. Secondly, we're talking about a sample size of a not-too-many *ever* compared to thousands per season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rppnMrGDqDk (4 min penalty - primary point of contact appears to be the head)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdKjFlfIL8Y (primary point of contact appears to be the head)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXU2B1TN5aU (leaves his feet here, which he sometimes does, somehow doesn't get a penalty)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgsied-_URM (leaves his feet, hits Heatley in the head, Heatley leaves for dressing room. he actually started to do the back hit but turned a bit just beforehand)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwjl_Z7LUCE (primary point of contact is the head. Similarly, he doesn't fully commit to the back hit and ends up catching voracek in the head with his shoulder)

Those are just the ones that came up first on YouTube. Maybe there are some cleaner ones out there that you can produce. Again, I'm not saying these are illegal under 48.1. But you claimed that there is "much less risk (or zero) of the head being the principle point of contact", which is clearly false, that these hits are "totally clean", which is most definitely false, and don't lead to guys lying motionless on the ice, which I suppose is true since Voracek is technically twitching in that last video.

Anyway, if it's kept to just Kronwall and the occasional Subban, it's not much cause for concern. But I think if this was a frequently used hit you'd have a significant rise in (accumulated) brain damage. Getting hit in the head by someone's solid back, full speed, is fucking devastating. And yeah they should keep their heads up.

Imo no way the Wings win two straight.

So what do you guys think the match-ups are going to be in the 2nd round ? I'm thinking CHI-DET and LA-SJ.

Pretty much what Acid said, I think Detroit will be joining Montreal, Minny, and the Nucks tonight in the circle of shame, I don't see them pulling off two straight even if they do manage to force a game 7. I think the series will end today unfortunately.

Also Kronwall hits are best hits.

Edit: Apparently Lashoff is still in, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU, Ducks win officially confirmed on some stupid Lashoff play/giveaway.

pringles

Damn you for not just believing me. But Kronwall is both a Red Wing AND Swedish so of course you'll go to bat for him. :p
Thanks for posting those beautiful hits, never get tired of seeing them. Don't know why you posted a bunch where he doesn't lead with his ass/back like what we were discussing though. In those hits it's anatomically almost impossible to target the head. Note:making contact with the head is unavoidable but not illegal or dirty. Kronwall is a very intelligent guy and started changing his hitting style just as the NHL started cracking down on hits to the head, in order to avoid the issue altogether (which he has successfully managed).

I hope a couple of swedish Red Wings get hit like that so I can be the first to say it's a good, clean hit. Doesn't happen often though as most Detroit players seem to have actually payed attention when they were 10 years old and their coach told them to keep their head up in that specific area of the ice or they'll get run over.

Curufinwe

So you're either blind or delusional. At the point of contact both Kronwall and Kesler are facing the same direction. Because he lead with his back.

mqdefault.jpg
niklas-kronwall-hit.jpg

pringles

So you're either blind or delusional.
What?

edit: you're talking about him leaving his feet? that's always discussed after his hits and 9 times out of 10 the side with the argument "he leaves the ice after contact" wins with conclusive evidence (the league seems to agree). Can't tell shit from that photo but I recall that hit being discussed as well. It's probably one of his more questionable as far ad leaving the ice goes. Still not dangerous due to leading with his behind thus no elbows etc to the head, only full body contact.

Curufinwe

How is it not dangerous? To quote Soc, getting hit in the head by someone's solid back, full speed, is fucking devastating

I had never seen the hit on Saulietis before. I assume it was legal by IIHF rules, but it was brutal and a possible career ender if it happened to a player like Crosby or Bergeron.

Delryk

All im asking from the Leafs is to play a full 60 mins. They havent done that all series long (usually falls asleep in the 2nd) and wakes up for the 3rd but already too late

TUSR

Banned
Hart Finalists

Tavares, Crosby, Ovechkin

Pens had a winning record without Crosby, so either Tavares or Ovi get it.

(Im running out of awards to announce)

toro5741

Hart Finalists

Tavares, Crosby, Ovechkin

Pens had a winning record without Crosby, so either Tavares or Ovi get it.

(Im running out of awards to announce)

Good for Johnny, but I don't think he'll win it. Truth is the Isles only made their surge to get into the playoffs when the Bailey - Nielsen - Okposo line started heating up.

Solo

Good for Johnny, but I don't think he'll win it. Truth is the Isles only made their surge to get into the playoffs when the Bailey - Nielsen - Okposo line started heating up.

I think Tavares wins it. Crosby and Ovi already have Harts. Crosby one played 75% of the season. Ovi only tried for 50% of the season.

pringles

How is it not dangerous? To quote Soc, getting hit in the head by someone's solid back, full speed, is fucking devastating

I had never seen the hit on Saulietis before. I assume it was legal by IIHF rules, but it was brutal and a possible career ender if it happened to a player like Crosby or Bergeron.
Big hits tend to be..devestating. If the head took more than a glancing hit Kesler and the other guys hit by this type of Kronwall check wouldn't be getting right back up from the ice.

You can try this at home: tell your gf/bf/etc to run into you, ass-first, and target your head. If they manage to knock you out or give you a concussion, you win. If they don't, ask them to try again but to lead with their shoulder and again, targeting the head. When you've understood why Kronwall's ass-first hitting is just about the least dangerous way of making a big, open-ice hit, let me know.

Again, Soc posted mainly vids where Kronner uses a more typical technique, leading with the shoulder. Even if the head isn't specifically targeted the risk of knocking a guy out cold (like Voracek) is much greater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom