• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL PlayOffs |OT| Keep your hopes up, and your salt on the ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
D pairings tonight:

Phaneuf/Gunnarsson
Gardiner/Franson
Liles/O'Byrne

Hopefully Liles can weave that magic he seems to have with O'Byrne and have him produce.

Delryk

ibjjZa3yoYFCud.gif

Wtf

I only ever hear Marvie dissing Stahlberg, that's why I found it funny when HFBers were on his jock.

Yeah, I was kind of holding back on Stalberg. The reason being he has been just decent this year instead of dogshit. Neither of them are anything to get excited about

Hey Hawks fans, maybe you can provide some insight on what the Leaf fans on Hfboards are proposing

I wish I wasn't on my phone so I could post a gif of someone getting the shit slapped out of them

HFboards nuff said.

If you really wanted to discuss that:

Toews for Rielly, Gardiner, 2 firsts, another top prospect we have and someone off our regular roster of forwards then MAYBE the Hawks would think about it before they laughed and said no.
The only reason a trade wouldn't get laughed at is if Kane fucks Toews' mom and doesn't call her the next day

Which he wouldn't

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
No Staal confirmed for NYR tonight.

Yup. He is probably out for the series.

Which is fine, Eminger played well all series except for that one stupid play that led to the Perreault goal that got Washington back into game 4. Unfortunately Torts benched him after that because that's what Torts does sometimes. Hopefully he has a bounce back game tonight. They were really able to spread around playing time for the first three games which really helped Mac and Girardi a lot by not grinding them down, but Eminger's benching in game 4 meant they both had crazy time on the ice. I think something like 29:30-ish for Girardi and 31+ for McDonagh.

Can't keep doing that or they'll burn out like last year.

Heretic

Damn you for not just believing me. But Kronwall is both a Red Wing AND Swedish so of course you'll go to bat for him. :p

First off, you're poisoning the well by making the comparison between the back hit and ILLEGAL normal hits, as if they are always unavoidable. Secondly, we're talking about a sample size of a not-too-many *ever* compared to thousands per season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rppnMrGDqDk (4 min penalty - primary point of contact appears to be the head)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdKjFlfIL8Y (primary point of contact appears to be the head)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXU2B1TN5aU (leaves his feet here, which he sometimes does, somehow doesn't get a penalty)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgsied-_URM (leaves his feet, hits Heatley in the head, Heatley leaves for dressing room. he actually started to do the back hit but turned a bit just beforehand)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwjl_Z7LUCE (primary point of contact is the head. Similarly, he doesn't fully commit to the back hit and ends up catching voracek in the head with his shoulder)

Those are just the ones that came up first on YouTube. Maybe there are some cleaner ones out there that you can produce. Again, I'm not saying these are illegal under 48.1. But you claimed that there is "much less risk (or zero) of the head being the principle point of contact", which is clearly false, that these hits are "totally clean", which is most definitely false, and don't lead to guys lying motionless on the ice, which I suppose is true since Voracek is technically twitching in that last video.

Anyway, if it's kept to just Kronwall and the occasional Subban, it's not much cause for concern. But I think if this was a frequently used hit you'd have a significant rise in (accumulated) brain damage. Getting hit in the head by someone's solid back, full speed, is fucking devastating. And yeah they should keep their heads up.
I'm so glad you're pointing this out. I've felt this way for a long time. That famous Subban hit to Marchand looks dirty as hell too. It looks like he jumps into the hit.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Nashville:

To be fair, Philly wasn't much better (Eastern teams are linked in the article):

Philadelphia Flyers – The Flyers joined the NHL as a part of the 1967 expansion. The team’s name began as a name-that-team contest. The owner told the fans the team would be orange because he considered that a “hot colour” (keep in mind, there was some bad acid going around in the late 60s- not implying, just saying) and that it was a tribute to his alma mater, the U of Texas. He also added black to the uniform to pay homage to Phili’s former team, the Quakers. After 11,000 ballots, owner Ed Snider chose his sister’s suggestion, the Flyers.

Same guy who proposed Reilly+ for Toews also compared Reilly+Gardiner to Suter+Weber.

Then again what did you expect from an account named "Leafs Win The Cup"?

Socreges

Banned
Big hits tend to be..devestating. If the head took more than a glancing hit Kesler and the other guys hit by this type of Kronwall check wouldn't be getting right back up from the ice.

You can try this at home: tell your gf/bf/etc to run into you, ass-first, and target your head. If they manage to knock you out or give you a concussion, you win. If they don't, ask them to try again but to lead with their shoulder and again, targeting the head. When you've understood why Kronwall's ass-first hitting is just about the least dangerous way of making a big, open-ice hit, let me know.

Again, Soc posted mainly vids where Kronner uses a more typical technique, leading with the shoulder. Even if the head isn't specifically targeted the risk of knocking a guy out cold (like Voracek) is much greater.
What? No, that's not true. Come on, you can count to three, no? I posted mainly videos where he led with his back (3/5). I posted the other two because he seemed to want to use his back with the way he approached but because of the timing or whatever reason he led with his shoulder instead.

And otherwise you've basically ignored the rest of my argument, focusing on something that isn't true. *shrugs*

spezza is apparently confirmed to play in round2 for ottawa. wow, if they somehow can get through the pens they have a good shot at the cup this year.

WERE I UR sOURSE

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/10/sens-spezza-skating-with-black-aces-nearing-return/

Sens’ Spezza skating with Black Aces, nearing return

Mike Halford

May 10, 2013, 12:22 PM EDT
2 Comments
Image (1) Spezza-thumb-200x300-14084.jpg for post 2155

These are good times in Ottawa.

After winning an opening-round series against Montreal on Thursday, GM Bryan Murray took to the airwaves on Friday morning and made a big announcement — last year’s leading scorer, Jason Spezza, appears close to a return from back surgery.

“He’s skating much harder, competing much better, and feeling much stronger,” Murray told The Team 1200 on Friday. “Skating with the Black Aces is a more serious involvement for him.”

The Sun is fairly accurate when they report on the Senators, they suck when they write about any other team.

Spezza is skating with the Black Aces, which is a big change from skating on his own. He is getting close.

spezza is apparently confirmed to play in round2 for ottawa. wow, if they somehow can get through the pens they have a good shot at the cup this year.

The most optimistic homer prediction I can make is we lose in the ECF.

It's unlikely but possible we make it past the 2nd round, Spezza or not(Obviously #19 will give us a big boost).

Sens have done so well this year not a single fan should be disappointed, wherever they end up.

The stage is set for a great run next year and I can't wait to play Montreal again. That should be a fun game and hopefully the start of a fun rivalry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom